Forums > General Industry > you're sexist because you only shoot women......

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

ravens laughter wrote:
I recently recieved this message... it was very similar to an earlier message...

I would be interested to know what the point of sending you this message would be.  Surely the only reason would be to start an argument.  This person has a problem and you should give them the ignoring of a lifetime.

Oct 27 06 08:06 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

People make accusations and negative comments many times when they are threatened.  It could be his work isn't as good as yours, it could be that he'd like to work with you and you don't want to work with him, it could be that he's just an asshole...lol.  I think it's ridiculous to call someone racist or sexist because they shoot a certain race or gender.  Making art comes from the soul...what inspires each artist can be different.   I work alot with female photographers and seem to do some of my best work with women...does this make me a sexist...no!

Oct 27 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Bill Cowen Photography

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I shoot women and men. does that make me bisexual??

Oct 27 06 09:56 am Link

Model

Brandy_Lynn

Lexington, Kentucky, US

charles kafka wrote:
I just think women are more aesthetic then men, (or rocks, or raccoons). if you ever look at a man naked, he looks like an upside down triangle, about to fall over. Women have more external definition, with bumps and curves all over, and are just better balanced, while men only have definition if they work out daily, and sculpt themselves unnaturally.

Anyway that is just my observation.  However if a great picture presents itself,  I'll be there with a camera, Male, female, or just mountains.

I agree. I find myself looking at more images of women.. even though there are plenty of hottie male models here and I'm straight.

Oct 27 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Things To Look At

New York, New York, US

Maybe it was a speling error and they meant to say:

You are SEXIEST, cause you only shoot women?

Oct 27 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

Once I figure out how to photograph a nude male without it looking homoerotic I probably will shoot more naked men.YES, it can be done, I've seen images of nude men tht are absolutely art and non-sexual. It's me, my mindset, my lack of workable technical knowledge perhaps, but it's something I've considered. I used to shoot a lot of headshots for actors back in the nineties and they didn't look gay so I guess I just need to translate that somehow. I certainly don't shoot every woman as sexy or a sex object or sensual so again I should be able to do that for a male

HOWEVER, I absolutely deny the "sexist" allegation theory and Raven of all people is amazingly open minded on art and people and that was totally unfair to him.

Oct 27 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

ravens laughter wrote:
I recently recieved this message... it was very similar to an earlier message... you're racist because you only shoot white people...

Now any one who has followed my work for any amount of time will know that both statements are ludicris. I have shot every age, every race, every gender (there are more than two by the way), and every skill level.

But the statement begs a different question really...... If you have a preference for shooting a particular group, does that make you sexist... racist...??

Simply because you prefer something... does that mean you are a biggot?

Being a black photographer, I hear this frequently: "Why don't you shoot with any black models?"  Fortunately, I can simply say that there aren't very many black fetish/bondage models.  The same thing goes for male models too.  I actually would love to have more men and more women of color in my book, but they're just  not into it.

To answer your question, no, i don't think personal preference is bigotry...unless you try to turn that preference into legislation.

Oct 27 06 01:02 pm Link