Forums > General Industry > Would you hire a model with this kind of profile?

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

nothing wrong with saying you are not willing to pay for pics....it is her personel choice....sounds to me like she is a little confused on getting paying jobs though, kinda souns like she is putting demands on what you pay her to do, and still expecting the pics.

Oct 27 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
You know, my advice to a photographer who's interested in working with a girl and comes across a similar problem would be to wait a few months. She's obviously just starting out and her "attitude problem" may just be a few misunderstandings about how things work and what she can expect from shoots.  There's a chance she may work with a few good photographers who teach her a lot and she could be a lot more professional given time.  Either that or her account will be inactive by then.

What fantastic advice. Many profiles that are put together this way are done so by inexperienced models that think that's the way it works. Some other inexperienced model or overly protective photographer probably told her to write those things thinking it would give the perception that she's a seasoned pro, when in fact it's the opposite. Personally, I'd let somebody else mentor her...the caps alone would make me say, "Next"

Oct 27 06 09:59 am Link

Model

Kali Doom

Nashville, Arkansas, US

Perhaps she doesn't know her way with "netiquette" and is unaware that she is shouting.  She sounds awful young and new.  From that profile, I deduct that she's been pressured by GWCs before into getting nude for them, which can be pretty unnerving if you are just starting out, are young, and these are the only "photographers" you have attracted.  When you are just starting out, all deals look like a good deal.  I'd give someone like this the benefit of the doubt.

Oct 27 06 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Kali is very kind. Please, just ignore that poor soul. She is young and bitchy. So what? Pay her? Hell no, regardless how hot she is. A bitchy person turns out bitchy photos. That's true for both photogs and models. smile

Oct 27 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Gabriel

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I found her profile easily enough, on another site.. and no, I would not hire her.

But that's with or without the profile. The kind of girl I'd check out on the street but wouldn't care to shoot.

Like someone else said.. "Next!"

Oct 27 06 04:19 pm Link

Model

Holly Dell

Los Angeles, California, US

Tim Baker wrote:

LOL...'Lay any photographers?" Ummm .... what got me was 1) the screaming in the port. Simply saying 'will work for TFP or payment' gets the message across.

I agree with Wynd, it sounds like she's had a bad experience with a photographer, perhaps, except two of her shots have her with her bathing suit bottoms on, but the top is off and she's covering herself with her hands ..."

Oh well, live and learn. Just hope someone helps her edit her port.

/tim

She says in her port "I'm new at modeling" and that to me explains how naïve the whole rest of her profile sounds.  It does sound like she's trying to fend off the GWC who apparently led her into something she wasn't really comfortable with...though why would she post those pics?  Maybe the only ones she has...but anyway, I agree with giving her time to mature, because I couldn't tell from her profile if she really has a bad attitude or she has just been stung a few times. 

I’d give her the benefit of the doubt, but I tend to be nice, forgiving and too loving sometimes.  This is a business though and she needs to be advised that she should treat it as such, because without a professional attitude, some training and a whole lot of luck she probably won’t go far.  She says she's small, so if for high fashion, if I were hiring, no I couldn’t really use her (though with my height, I hate getting neglected...haha). 

As for the “not paying” part, I understand it if she is just beginning, because she needs time to practice her posing, emoting skills, and everything else.  She may not realize that all caps is considered shouting and is probably just to make the statement bold by emphasizing.  But, eventually, if she really wants to model she needs to desire professionalism.  And if she can’t get the best portfolio by mutually helping a photographer build his/her portfolio, then she needs to be willing to pay and especially if she really likes a certain professional photographer!  Saying she “will not pay” is like saying she is better than the photographer and I hate that misunderstanding between artists (photographer vs. model vs. everyone else)!  It also says to the photographer that she doesn’t care about getting anyone else work except herself, which makes her sound selfish.  Somewhere down the road she may be able to do favors for someone, but that statement sounds like she wouldn’t care, which may not be the case at all, but yes she needs an editor.  Haha so do I with all my commas, hee hee

Anyway, I suggest since you took time to start a thread, that you take the time to politely suggest a few corrections in her profile and wish her well while she builds her book.  Oh, yeah, and why she contacted you is curious to me, because your profile shows the kind of work she is “not” interested in.  The swimsuit part is funny, just funny.

Oct 27 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Pixelmaker

Tonawanda, New York, US

Okay, I have a little different take on this. First off, I found her profile page here easily enough (a little google detective work). I agree that her profile sounds a little too aggressive, but I could care less.
The part that bugs me is that she, like so many other models I've seen here, will talk up and down about how they will NOT do nudes, will NOT do sheer, will NOT do lingerie, etc, etc, etc, ad nausium, but their profile pictures could be used in an ad for "street ho's 'r us" (just made that one up :-)). This girl's pix are not like that, per say, but her MM, OMP, and myspace accounts ALL have a main avatar with implied nudity. If you don't want to do it, why do your pictures advertise otherwise??? I have worked with models who will pose nude, and those who won't. It's all good if I know this upfront. But if your pix indicate you WILL pose nude / in lingerie / implied / etc, but then you state that you won't, what are you trying to accomplish? It's like saying they will pose that way--just not for you! From this girl's pictures, clearly her bathing suit has definitely come off, and she's not shy about showing you that. She is certainly attractive, but not overwhelmingly more than thousands of others here.
I know, move on and don't sweat it. But it's the pattern of stating that your morals are way too high to do any provocative poses in any way, and your pictures are full of skin-tight daisy dukes and clear heels. Hello?
Okay, I'm through with my little rant. Proceed... yikes)

Oct 27 06 06:04 pm Link