Forums > General Industry > Would you hire a model with this kind of profile?

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Here's an actual port ... with the name changed. Would you hire this model based on what she says (or how she's saying). If not, suggestions on how this could be worded differently.  She has about 6 images in her port, all mostly basic, two with bathing suits on. 

-----------------------------

My name is Kimberly and I’m new at modeling. I am small but have a great body due to road cycling and exercise. I am able to work tuesday and thursday mornings or fridays anytime. I travel to LA a lot, so I can do shoots down there. Right now I’m looking to build my portfolio. Let me know if I can help in anyway. I do not do nude or lingerie of any kind. Right now I would like to work on Glamour, Fashion, Casual, and Print/Editorial.

I AM NOT LOOKING TO PAY ANY PHOTOGRAPHERS, SO DO NOT ASK TO WORK WITH ME IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO GET PAID!

I am up for swim ads, but I must have a swimsuit on and it wont be coming off. Please email me if you want to talk about work. Thank you.
--------------------------------------------

Color me curious - Tim

Oct 26 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

removed357

Austin, Texas, US

A picture is worth a thousand words... depends on what those 6 images look like.

Oct 26 06 12:32 am Link

Model

Sara Danielle

She is "looking to build her portfolio".
She WILL NOT PAY.

Um I think its self explanitory.
She needs to check the ego at the door so she can fit her head through!!
She needs to say "Im willing to PAY to build my portfolio" Or "Looking for TFP to build my portfolio" Definatly not what she has and NOT IN CAPS!!!

Oct 26 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

not sure... O.o I don't know if I would work with her or not. I guess it would depend on her actual attitude and meeting with her to see what she really looks like.  I don't know...

Oct 26 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Someone with a sketchy profile I'd probably like to talk for before writing off completely.  Call me an optimist but you never know if it wouldn't work out great

Oct 26 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I don't find her "not looking to pay" statement offensive.  I do think that fact that she has glamour listed in what she's looking to do directly contridicts the fact that she doesn't pose in lingerie of ANY kind.

Kinda stupid.

Oct 26 06 12:40 am Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

Why don't you guys start sending these wannabe divas to agencies and let them slam the doors on them a few times, chew them up and spit them out? Maybe then they'd start seeing that they're about as unique as the other 100,000 cars on the lot and blend in with most of the cutesy little economy coupes and 2WD pick-up trucks.

N.

Oct 26 06 12:42 am Link

Model

Mistriss de morte

Wilmington, Delaware, US

i think she's just trying to say she wil only do tfp/cd or prints.

-Miss Beth

Oct 26 06 12:43 am Link

Model

Ashley Haven Nudes

Queen Creek, Arizona, US

Model Opinion...

I would never put "I will not pay" in my portfolio. That's like saying "I'm already way too good for any of you anyway... so don't even try".  Which is obviously not the case if she just started modeling. It would be different if she was a well established model, but she's not.

You're better then that Tim... (assuming you're questioning working with her). Plus, you've got me to shoot.  wink  I'm way more fun, and i'll bring you cookies.

Oct 26 06 12:44 am Link

Model

Mistriss de morte

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Ashley_Haven wrote:
Model Opinion...

I would never put "I will not pay" in my portfolio. That's like saying "I'm already way too good for any of you anyway... so don't even try".  Which is obviously not the case if she just started modeling. It would be different if she was a well established model, but she's not.

You're better then that Tim... (assuming you're questioning working with her). Plus, you've got me to shoot.  wink  I'm way more fun, and i'll bring you cookies.

this makes sense too

Oct 26 06 12:46 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

The only thing I find strange about it is the last line:  "I am up for swim ads, but I must have a swimsuit on and it wont be coming off. Please email me if you want to talk about work."  It's kind of silly.  Of course if she's doing a swim ad, she's not going to be nude, right?  But then it makes me think that maybe she's had a bad experience and wants to make sure it doesn't happen again.  If that's the case, it would help her to be a little less specific.

But, I don't know.  I wouldn't hire/not hire someone based only on what they wrote as their bio..

The part about not paying photographers is uneccesary, but I don't think it's awful.  There are photographers who state that they don't pay models in their bios.  Maybe it's benificial..

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Tim Baker wrote:
...I AM NOT LOOKING TO PAY ANY PHOTOGRAPHERS, SO DO NOT ASK TO WORK WITH ME IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO GET PAID!...

Maybe the "P" and "L" buttons on her keyboard were switched?
In either case, I don't think she's making any unreasonable demands... she just shouldn't have emphasized it in capitals.

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Ashley_Haven wrote:
Model Opinion...

Ashley, you're always on the top of my list, anytime (when our friggin schedules don't clash wink ... no, I'm not into working with her, she just emailed me and I looked at her port and thought, whoa .... she needs an editor.  Anyway, Ash, she could never hold up a fence like you do wink  Tell Steven HI!  We're still on in Nov, yes? Cheers, Tim

Oct 26 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Josie Tan Photography

Clackamas, Oregon, US

This isnt about her statement- "will not pay photographer". This is whether you'd hire her.. if you are considering hiring her, then this statement wouldnt even concern you since its the other way around.
If her looks are worth it, and she can model, then by all means.
But since no pics are posted, then no one else can help make the decision for you.

Oct 26 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:

Maybe the "P" and "L" buttons on her keyboard were switched?
In either case, I don't think she's making any unreasonable demands... she just shouldn't have emphasized it in capitals.

LOL...'Lay any photographers?" Ummm .... what got me was 1) the screaming in the port. Simply saying 'will work for TFP or payment' gets the message across.

I agree with Wynd, it sounds like she's had a bad experience with a photographer, perhaps, except two of her shots have her with her bathing suit bottoms on, but the top is off and she's covering herself with her hands ..."

Oh well, live and learn. Just hope someone helps her edit her port.

/tim

Oct 26 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Josie Artography wrote:
This isnt about her statement- "will not pay photographer". This is whether you'd hire her.. if you are considering hiring her, then this statement wouldnt even concern you since its the other way around.
But since no pics are posted, then no one else can help make the decision for you.

Her images are no different than 10000 other models on here; all but two are professional. Others are kinda myspaceish looking.

I was curious if others would hire her based on what they read, not that I'm interested in hiring her.

The screaming in the middle of the port got my attention.  I had visions of her doing the same in the middle of a shoot.  Man, I hate the screaming the worst wink

Oct 26 06 01:00 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Miz Beth wrote:

this makes sense too

Yep, especially about the cookies!

Oct 26 06 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Tim Baker wrote:
Color me curious - Tim

The question you have to ask yourself is, does she have what you want or need for your portfolio? And could she be huge some day and you have the first images of her posing as *fill in the blank*

If you can place a value on what you can see in your mind, then get busy.

Oct 26 06 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Nemesis73 wrote:
Why don't you guys start sending these wannabe divas to agencies and let them slam the doors on them a few times, chew them up and spit them out? Maybe then they'd start seeing that they're about as unique as the other 100,000 cars on the lot and blend in with most of the cutesy little economy coupes and 2WD pick-up trucks.

N.

Love your style ... you have evil down to a science wink /tim

Oct 26 06 01:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Why dwell on one profile?  There are PLENTY OF MODELS that will do nudes, for crying out loud.  Look for THOSE!

Oct 26 06 01:06 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Craig Thomson wrote:
The question you have to ask yourself is, does she have what you want or need for your portfolio? And could she be huge some day and you have the first images of her posing as *fill in the blank*

I agree with this. Wholesale dismissal of anyone for the sake of holding fast to some arbitrary rules of conduct that have no impact on the outcome is silly.  If all of the factors that are going to positively impact the shoot you are looking to set up, then go for it.  Pure and simple.

Oct 26 06 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

From her port, and the few images she has up, I, personally, don't believe many people would hire her. Words paint a mental picture in our minds; if she only posted the images she has up, I would not really be interested because she has the look of 10000 other models; the 'tude I sense (and perhaps it's just me) just closes off the deal even more. I was more curious of what others thought.  Perhaps I'm judging or misreading something into the profile that's not there.  /tim

Oct 26 06 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Howard Garcia

New York, New York, US

I don't have the time to spend trying to figure out what she's saying.

NEXT......

Oct 26 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Blakberi Photography

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

No

Oct 26 06 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Avicdar wrote:
I agree with this. Wholesale dismissal of anyone for the sake of holding fast to some arbitrary rules of conduct that have no impact on the outcome is silly.  If all of the factors that are going to positively impact the shoot you are looking to set up, then go for it.  Pure and simple.

Do remember that all advertisements are made up of two equally important components: the Image and the Copy.  Together they make either an excellent advertisement or a poor one.  After all, aren't our profiles an advertisement for our services?  /tim

Oct 26 06 01:11 am Link

Photographer

T Edward Glazar

Sunnyside, Georgia, US

Miz Beth wrote:

-Miss Beth

me too.

Oct 26 06 01:12 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Face Arts wrote:
Why dwell on one profile?  There are PLENTY OF MODELS that will do nudes, for crying out loud.  Look for THOSE!

Huh? Whose looking for nudes?

Oct 26 06 01:12 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Tim Baker wrote:
Here's an actual port ... with the name changed. Would you hire this model based on what she says (or how she's saying). If not, suggestions on how this could be worded differently.  She has about 6 images in her port, all mostly basic, two with bathing suits on. 

-----------------------------

My name is Kimberly and I’m new at modeling. I am small but have a great body due to road cycling and exercise. I am able to work tuesday and thursday mornings or fridays anytime. I travel to LA a lot, so I can do shoots down there. Right now I’m looking to build my portfolio. Let me know if I can help in anyway. I do not do nude or lingerie of any kind. Right now I would like to work on Glamour, Fashion, Casual, and Print/Editorial.

I AM NOT LOOKING TO PAY ANY PHOTOGRAPHERS, SO DO NOT ASK TO WORK WITH ME IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO GET PAID!

I am up for swim ads, but I must have a swimsuit on and it wont be coming off. Please email me if you want to talk about work. Thank you.
--------------------------------------------

Color me curious - Tim

No.

Oct 26 06 01:13 am Link

Model

Sara Danielle

Miz Beth wrote:

-Miss Beth

If thats the case then she could write it friendly and professional. Not DEMANDING IN CAPS.

Oct 26 06 01:15 am Link

Photographer

Josie Tan Photography

Clackamas, Oregon, US

Sara Danielle wrote:

If thats the case then she could write it friendly and professional. Not DEMANDING IN CAPS.

Thats like expecting everyone to be one way. millions of people, not all are the same or talk the same.

Oct 26 06 01:21 am Link

Model

Mistriss de morte

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
The only thing I find strange about it is the last line:  "I am up for swim ads, but I must have a swimsuit on and it wont be coming off. Please email me if you want to talk about work."  It's kind of silly.  Of course if she's doing a swim ad, she's not going to be nude, right?  But then it makes me think that maybe she's had a bad experience and wants to make sure it doesn't happen again.  If that's the case, it would help her to be a little less specific.

But, I don't know.  I wouldn't hire/not hire someone based only on what they wrote as their bio..

The part about not paying photographers is uneccesary, but I don't think it's awful.  There are photographers who state that they don't pay models in their bios.  Maybe it's benificial..

i second this

Oct 26 06 01:23 am Link

Model

Mistriss de morte

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Josie Artography wrote:

or she might just be looking for tfp/cd, which she could've said differantly

Oct 26 06 01:25 am Link

Model

Sara Danielle

Josie Artography wrote:

Thats like expecting everyone to be one way. millions of people, not all are the same or talk the same.

Thats not the point. He asked how her pro should be changed. That is how it should be~ Delete the caps and say what she means nicely... If that is what she means.

Do you really disagree??

Oct 26 06 01:26 am Link

Model

Mistriss de morte

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Sara Danielle wrote:

i agree with that as well

Oct 26 06 01:31 am Link

Model

Mistriss de morte

Wilmington, Delaware, US

T Edward Glazar wrote:

me too.

yeah someone agrees with me!

Oct 26 06 01:32 am Link

Model

modeldennis

s-Gravenhage, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Tim Baker wrote:
LOL...'Lay any photographers?"

No....that would be 'lay any lhotogralhers'

but damned if I know what a lhotogralher is tongue

Oct 26 06 01:41 am Link

Photographer

San Anselmo, California, US

Why even consider a gal who obviously has a severe attitude problem....no matter how gorgeous she might be ...shoots should involve a pleasant encounter & working relationship  between considerate individuals.   I don't patronize offensive females, and her statements are rather obnoxious and really overbearing.--- Especially for a beginner.  No matter how bad her past experiences have been.  Sounds like she already has a massive chip on her shoulder.  The greatest word in the English language is -- "NEXT"!!

Oct 26 06 01:49 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

mphot wrote:
Why even consider a gal who obviously has a severe attitude problem....no matter how gorgeous she might be ...shoots should involve a pleasant encounter & working relationship  between considerate individuals.   I don't patronize offensive females, and her statements are rather obnoxious and really overbearing.--- Especially for a beginner.  No matter how bad her past experiences have been.  Sounds like she already has a massive chip on her shoulder.  The greatest word in the English language is -- "NEXT"!!

You know, my advice to a photographer who's interested in working with a girl and comes across a similar problem would be to wait a few months.
She's obviously just starting out and her "attitude problem" may just be a few misunderstandings about how things work and what she can expect from shoots.  There's a chance she may work with a few good photographers who teach her a lot and she could be a lot more professional given time.  Either that or her account will be inactive by then.

Oct 26 06 02:01 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

no,presumptious indeed.

Oct 26 06 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Rowen

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, US

LOL! I actually randomly read this very profile earlier tonight (before I knew of this discussion).

Not sure I'd want to be around her if her swimsuit has never come off.....

-R

Oct 26 06 02:10 am Link