Forums > General Industry > Narcissism and the photographer/model

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

Seems to be a rampant problem in the field.  Worse maybe even more than the medical or legal fields.  Examples of it are everywhere.  Photographers and models either deservedly or not, spouting their own praise.

What I want to know is how many of them realize that narcissism is a mask for deep seeded insecurity issues.  Therefor when they become narcissistic their insecurity is there for all the world to see.

Oct 25 06 08:07 am Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

empty can rattles the most.

N.

Oct 25 06 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Maybe you are right, but have you considered it could simply be salesmanship? I don't recall ever getting a gig by either shyness or mininmizing my photographic abilities.

Oct 25 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Only if it is not completely empty smile

Oct 25 06 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Frank McAdam

New York, New York, US

Bryan Patrick Coleman wrote:
What I want to know is how many of them realize that narcissism is a mask for deep seeded insecurity issues.  Therefor when they become narcissistic their insecurity is there for all the world to see.

Thank you, Dr. Freud.  What about photographers who feel the need to pose as pyschiatrists?  What does that say about their inner turmoil?

Actually, photography is so competitive that anyone who enters it had better have a high self regard or they'll give it up in a week.  If you want to see that as narcissism, fine.  Just spare us the quack lectures.

Oct 25 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Doug Lester wrote:
Maybe you are right, but have you considered it could simply be salesmanship? I don't recall ever getting a gig by either shyness or mininmizing my photographic abilities.

Salesmanship is only a tool...  what you do with that tool makes all the difference.  Nuance I believe is the key here, but sometimes it is blatant.  Anytime you hear the words "Don't you know who I am?" then it is a dead giveaway.

It is also a little bit of a cross over.  I deal with Real Estate agents (of which I am one) all the time.  There are big sellers that are not, but many of them are also narcissists.  Goes for politicians, and CEO's as well.

Anything connected with wealth / power / fame draws the narcissist like a moth to the flame.

Oct 25 06 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Frank McAdam wrote:

Thank you, Dr. Freud.  What about photographers who feel the need to pose as pyschiatrists?  What does that say about their inner turmoil?

Actually, photography is so competitive that anyone who enters it had better have a high self regard or they'll give it up in a week.  If you want to see that as narcissism, fine.  Just spare us the quack lectures.

Freud was one himself....

Having a high regard of ones self, and being narcissistic are completely different.  Narcissists often put themselves in situations where competition is high.  This is due to the fact that they in reality have very low self esteems and their being able to excel in the field in question is how they prove their worth to themselves and others.  It is a mask for the insecurities that they harbor.  Sadly the more they do succeed the less likely they will ever be of being able to like who they are or to have an actual self worth.

Oct 25 06 08:57 am Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Worse maybe even more than the medical or legal fields.

I would say that it is less of narcissism in these fields then any field, because people of these professions tent to be very pragmatic.

Oct 25 06 09:05 am Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Just a thought:
A cirtain amount of narcissism is essential to functioning of a person within a society including any field of their profession.

That could be managable depending on the "role" the person is in during certain situation.

Sometimes you just have to be pushy - and have to use your narcisstic side of a personlity.

For a model (just judging on myself) during a shoot - you have to like yourself more then anybody.  Personally for me it takes about 30 minutes to prepare to get into that condition.  And doesn't take any time to get rid of it - just takes me to look at myself in the mirror big_smile

Oct 25 06 09:08 am Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

oh how i enjoy looking at myself in the mirror!  don't you think it makes sense that i should ONLY have paid shoots?  $100 minimum in my book!

There are always going to be narcissistic people, as someone else said, in every field.  Sometimes people just let things get to their head.  When it happens to newer models, I think it's because they've either gone to a school and think that they can go and tell everyone that they're a model, or they've done ONE shoot and think that they're a real model now.

I'm sure there are plenty of vain experienced models, but I would assume that most models with more experience would know better.  There's a lot of kissing butt, especially with clients and promotions.  Plus, if you come off as vain or narcissistic once, that could be enough for a client to refuse to work with you ever again and mention your attitude to other clients.  Most people would know that it's just not worth it.

The only real narcissism that I've come across with photographers, or even have seen through posts here, is that often times they think that they're doing the model a favor and that she should be grateful, when in fact both people should be happy to shoot.  If your talent is so much better than what a model has, and you openly announce this, then why do you want to work with her?  Why should the model to deal with that kind of an attitude?

--Alexandra

Oct 25 06 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Madcitychel wrote:
Just a thought:
A cirtain amount of narcissism is essential to functioning of a person within a society including any field of their profession.

Sometimes you just have to be pushy - and have to use your narcisstic side of a personlity.

And why would one have to do that?  There is a difference between being confident, and being arrogant.  Simply stating what you can do, what you are willing to do, and what you want to do is sufficient.

Everything else is superfluous and is in reality self depreciating and damaging.

Oct 25 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Madcitychel wrote:
I would say that it is less of narcissism in these fields then any field, because people of these professions tent to be very pragmatic.

You haven't worked with many doctors or lawyers have you?

Oct 25 06 09:33 am Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

And why would one have to do that?  There is a difference between being confident, and being arrogant.  Simply stating what you can do, what you are willing to do, and what you want to do is sufficient.

Everything else is superfluous and is in reality self depreciating and damaging.

Yes, there is a difference.  Being arrogant and narcisstic is different also.  I havent said anything about being arrogant.

Why?
I have explained why in the above post.

To be confident you need to have a certain amount of narcissism.

Oct 25 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

Well in a field where a person says, you'll pay to take pictures of me... And in a field where a person says, you'll pay me to take pictures..... Some amount of ego has to be there for either of these parties to feel that their work us valuable enough to make a living from.

is  it egotistical for me to think my work is good enough for people to want to see? Of course it is.

Is it egotistical for the model to feel she is attractive enough or uncommon enough to be chosen above others for a campaign? Of course is.

Is it egotistical for a person to post a thread feeling their words are worth the time in reading? Of course it is.

To say that ego is simply an expression of some inward insecurity is really only part of the truth, we all have insecurities don't we?

No, ego is garnered in us as children when we learn that it feels good to be noticed, appreciated, and accepted by others. We generate our sense of self through such actions that bring us appreciation, acceptance, or notice.... And this we live our lives based upon those desires. Any thing that we do that furthers our sense of self is egotistical
And thus we are all egotistical.

Some of us accept it and move forward, others of us repress it because we think its bad... And we go about preaching to others how its horrible, all the while feeding the ame ego in that way that we are railing against.

Oct 25 06 09:37 am Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

You haven't worked with many doctors or lawyers have you?

big_smile
Yes, I have.  And still do 8-5 every day.  Actually I spend most of my life since the high school with those d@mn people. 

Most of my friends are either medics, lawyers or engineers.

Being short, and pragmatic (again), is often confused with being narcisstic, by other mortals... JUST KIDDING big_smile

Oct 25 06 09:39 am Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Egoism is a part of Narcissism and as I've said before:

A certain amount of it is essential for the person to function.

Oct 25 06 09:41 am Link

Model

Lady_Death

I was told there was no love like self love... but maybe that was not meant for personality attribute... hmm...

There will always be someone better looking than you and talented then you... truth!

Oct 25 06 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

my high school job was working in a small town general market..
i pumped gas for a few cool people, william styron, arthur miller, charles whitney,

they all had a right to be egotistic, but weren't.. in particular was alexander calder

https://ecuip.lib.uchicago.edu/diglib/arts/calder/images/flamingo_zoom.jpg

he drove a 48 plymoth, forrest green, cool guy.. i'd be stocking shelves and boss's wife would yell out "charlie, sandy's parked by the pumps, fill him up..."

one of the two most important sculptors of the 20th century, funny to remember hearing something so ordinary about him

https://www.tate.org.uk/learning/kids/zoomroom/strike_a_pose/images/calder.jpg

friendly as hell, always had a twinkle in his eye, never acted like a big shot

https://www.poster.net/calder-alexander/calder-alexander-green-ball-3500350.jpg

never knew who he was til i went to his house one day..

Oct 25 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Madcitychel wrote:

Yes, there is a difference.  Being arrogant and narcisstic is different also.  I havent said anything about being arrogant.

Why?
I have explained why in the above post.

To be confident you need to have a certain amount of narcissism.

Not true...  narcissism is the antithesis of confidence.  It is a mask that is worn to hide inherent inadequacies felt by the narcissist.

True confidence still allows you to be mindful of others.

Oct 25 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Lady_Death wrote:
I was told there was no love like self love... but maybe that was not meant for personality attribute... hmm...

There will always be someone better looking than you and talented then you... truth!

The narcissists’ self love is not a true self love.  Just like obsession over another is not the same as loving them.

In reality the narcissist obsesses over themselves, but does not love...  Indeed they loathe themselves on some level that they may or may not even realize.

Oct 25 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

lotusphoto wrote:
my high school job was working in a small town general market..
i pumped gas for a few cool people, william styron, arthur miller, charles whitney,

they all had a right to be egotistic, but weren't.. in particular was alexander calder

https://ecuip.lib.uchicago.edu/diglib/arts/calder/images/flamingo_zoom.jpg

he drove a 48 plymoth, forrest green, cool guy.. i'd be stocking shelves and boss's wife would yell out "charlie, sandy's parked by the pumps, fill him up..."

one of the two most important sculptors of the 20th century, funny to remember hearing something so ordinary about him

https://www.tate.org.uk/learning/kids/zoomroom/strike_a_pose/images/calder.jpg

friendly as hell, always had a twinkle in his eye, never acted like a big shot

https://www.poster.net/calder-alexander/calder-alexander-green-ball-3500350.jpg

never knew who he was til i went to his house one day..

They were indeed then true and great artists. smile

Oct 25 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Doug Lester wrote:

Hell yeah...

I ooze the stuff and I get the gigs..

Why? thats what they want...

Its a very simple equation..

Oct 25 06 10:28 am Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Not true...  narcissism is the antithesis of confidence.  It is a mask that is worn to hide inherent inadequacies felt by the narcissist.

True confidence still allows you to be mindful of others.

You can't be confident if you don't like yourself. True.  Hence if you are confident you like yourself.

Oct 25 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

They were indeed then true and great artists. smile

Key words..    small town general market

Move that to the big cities where attitudes are different and the quiet shy type then needs a PR comany to create the hype...

smile

Oct 25 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Madcitychel wrote:

You can't be confident if you don't like yourself. True.  Hence if you are confident you like yourself.

I feel any true artist has inherent inadequacies, but the businesman must ooze confidence. I know I have both and they live side by side.

Oct 25 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Vance wrote:

Key words..    small town general market

Move that to the big cities where attitudes are different and the quiet shy type then needs a PR comany to create the hype...

smile

actually calder started out as a mechanical engineer in penn, but moved to nyc to go to art school, he then moved to paris... he competed with the big boys on their own turf

Oct 25 06 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

lotusphoto wrote:

actually calder started out as a mechanical engineer in penn, but moved to nyc to go to art school, he then moved to paris... he competed with the big boys on their own turf

Right on...I would say then he is in the minority..

I stand corrected..

Oct 25 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Madcitychel wrote:

Yes, but that isn't the same as narcissism. Confidence is something everyone should have.  Narcissism is a mask for emotional baggage, and a sign of an unhealthy mind.

Oct 25 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

I tend to think ego is essential to any artist, and insecurity is our home territory. We wouldn't need to be artists if things didn't bother us.

Oct 25 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Vance wrote:

I stand corrected..

Not true...  history remembers the true artist and forgets the narcissist.

Oct 25 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Searcher wrote:
I tend to think ego is essential to any artist, and insecurity is our home territory. We wouldn't need to be artists if things didn't bother us.

You might be on to something there lol...

Oct 25 06 11:13 am Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Narcissism runs rampant everywhere, so it does it really come as a surprise that it might leak into the photographic/modeling world as well? But then, you have some good points brought up here:

1. There is such a thing as self-esteem and some people have an abundance of it, but they should not be called narcissists if in fact, their self-esteem is genuine.

2. Salesmanship. If you pitch something with enough gusto, you can make anyone believe it, whether it's great or not. That's what makes a good salesman (or in this case, photographer or model).

3. There are those who lack self-esteem and feel the constant need for words of appraisal. In this case, it's up to you whether or not you choose to give them what they desperately seek or just ignore them and move on to what you feel is genuinely the best thing.

It sounds so simple, doesn't it?

Oct 25 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Not true...  history remembers the true artist and forgets the .

But we didnt forget Him..Thus the term narcissist.

Oct 25 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Vance wrote:
I stand corrected..

Not true...  history remembers the true artist and forgets the narcissist.

i dont see the taualogical progression from vance's statement to bryan's..

at anyrate, the world was vastly diferent back then.. there was more room to grow..

Oct 25 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

"they were indeed true artists.."

Does this mean then that any one who us arrogant, self obsessive, or narcissistic cannot be a true artist?

Well let's see... We need t erase Picasso, Van gogh, toulouse Le trec, geiger, Pollock, adams, witkin, maplethorpe, and oh yeah.... Me.

Oct 25 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

a narcissist is someone who tells a self confident person that they are arrogant.

You can tell if someone suffers from self absorbsion simply by the number of times they tell others that they are wrong.

Oct 25 06 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Vance wrote:

But we didnt forget Him..Thus the term narcissist.

Narcissus was a fictitious character.

Oct 25 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Narcissus was a fictitious character.

maybe, maybe not.. bet the first guy to write him into life had more than a few people to model him after..

Oct 25 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

ravens laughter wrote:
You can tell if someone suffers from self absorbsion simply by the number of times they tell others that they are wrong.

But for an artist to be truly self-absorbed is to reach a negative nirvana where the work simply flows from your veins. In one way a bad thing, in another way an incredibly good thing. The valleys allow the peaks.

Oct 25 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

ravens laughter wrote:
a narcissist is someone who tells a self confident person that they are arrogant.

Interesting...  I am not sure that the APA would agree with you however.

Oct 25 06 11:51 am Link