Forums > General Industry > Female Photographers shooting guys?

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have a question, curious minds want to know.

For male photographers we shoot mainly women because we like women.

But I like to look at female photographers work to get a different perspective on things, but I do notice they shoot mainly women too.

I would think women photographers would want to shoot mostly guys what's with that?

Why wouldn't women mostly shoot men?

Any comments?

Oct 24 06 02:41 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

CL Photography wrote:

not always true. i'm a male photog but i work with who my clients wish, both men & women ... but mostly women. fortunate that i like people in general; just turned out this way.

CL Photography wrote:
I would think women photographers would want to shoot mostly guys what's with that? Why wouldn't women mostly shoot men?

might, like some of our cases, depend on the woman's clients; for many of us, male or female, behind the camera, it's business. just business.

f

Oct 24 06 02:45 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

CL Photography wrote:

But I like to look at female photographers work to get a different perspective on things, but I do notice they shoot mainly women too.

I would think women photographers would want to shoot mostly guys what's with that?

Any comments?

I've shot plenty of men. A lot of male nudes.

It's not really one or the other. I'll shoot whoever wants to hire me. It just happens that the majority who hire me are female.

Oct 24 06 02:49 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

I'd love to shoot more guys.
But there aren't many of the type I want to shoot.
Woman are still prettier, easier to pose, etc. than guys.

Oct 24 06 02:49 am Link

Model

soma_stardust

Emeryville, California, US

well, i also shoot women because i like women. lol. but i'd like to shoot guys, too. it just depends on what's available. there seem to be a lot more women than men interested in modelling.

~soma~

Oct 24 06 02:51 am Link

Photographer

WHT PHX STUDIOS

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I would like to shoot more men, but as previously stated, it is a different type of modeling for males.  You run the risk of making them look overly femenine etc.  For females, there are just more options as far as poses, clothing, make-up artistry and so on.  At the same time, there are more females in the modeling industry than men, and so most clients are female. 

Me personally, I am not inclined to shoot one sex over the other - I am not seeking to shoot either sex exclusively, as I have found many photographers do.  Nor am I trying to fulfill some weird fantasy through the lens.  No - what I do is a passion all its own, an outlet for my creativity and a window to my very soul and inspiration.

Oct 24 06 02:56 am Link

Photographer

Afinity Photography

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

CL Photography wrote:

Any comments?

I actually find it intimadating shooting guys. They give the sexy I want you look to the camera and it makes me blush! Shooting girls is easier smile

Oct 24 06 03:00 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Afinity Photography wrote:

I actually find it intimadating shooting guys. They give the sexy I want you look to the camera and it makes me blush! Shooting girls is easier smile

Hey, but it's an excuse to stare..... (and then make posters for yourself)

Oct 24 06 03:06 am Link

Photographer

Afinity Photography

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Iris Swope wrote:

Hey, but it's an excuse to stare..... (and then make posters for yourself)

lol this is true! i actually have a shoot with a cutie on saturday! i will check him out in the lense smile

Oct 24 06 03:08 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

lol this is true! i actually have a shoot with a cutie on saturday! i will check him out in the lense smile

I shot the hottest hottest hottest guy in the world. For real.
and can't put the pics on MM....so sad

Oct 24 06 03:11 am Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

Looking at you would make any guy melt so I can see that being a problem.

Oct 24 06 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Elana Rachel

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I shot almost exclusively women and in the last probably 3 months have had 6 shoots with only men... I was hired by an outside agent for these and don't really know why looking at my work they decided they wanted me for the all male shoots, but its been a new experience!

Oct 24 06 03:25 am Link

Model

Fede Rhodes

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

I`m going to add my model point of view. Most times I've worked with men photographers,its just work and it really doesnt matter as long as the work is good "but" I feel more confortable working with heterosexual men photographers.
Ive worked with women very few times...3 times I think it was completely different and of course the vibe going on is different. Iwasnt feeling confortable at first because usually I dont ahve women taking pictures of me and they were body shots but it was cool.I think it can be more unconfortable for both photographer and model if theres nobody else on set..and of course the age range its important.
I think most times the situation is unconfortable cause the photographer is not used to shoot men and the model is not used ot have a woman behind the camera. But everyone is different the more profesional youa re the less matters

Oct 24 06 06:07 am Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ngomo wrote:
I`m going to add my model point of view. Most times I've worked with men photographers,its just work and it really doesnt matter as long as the work is good "but" I feel more confortable working with heterosexual men photographers.
Ive worked with women very few times...3 times I think it was completely different and of course the vibe going on is different. Iwasnt feeling confortable at first because usually I dont ahve women taking pictures of me and they were body shots but it was cool.I think it can be more unconfortable for both photographer and model if theres nobody else on set..and of course the age range its important.
I think most times the situation is unconfortable cause the photographer is not used to shoot men and the model is not used ot have a woman behind the camera. But everyone is different the more profesional youa re the less matters

Very interesting....  As a male photographer often it is just me and a female model on set in most cases.  Of course there probably is less vibe going on because I'm older so I think most models feels safer with me.  That is what they tell me.

The age thing is something to think about. Often I think people let that get in the way, as if just because you are not younger you can't come up with cool pictures and no creativity.

Oct 24 06 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'm a female photographer who shoots a lot of men.  (Though I don't have all that many in my portfolio right now because my recent work has been exclusively with commercial plus models.)

Frankly, I'm always surprised at how many people say men are difficult to photograph.  That hasn't been my experience.  I love photographing men; I think they're beautiful.

Yay.

Oct 24 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Frisson

I'm a male photographer and would love to have some males in my port. Sadly even female models are scare in my area.

Terry

Oct 24 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

CL Photography wrote:

Any comments?

Regardless of era, standards, location, or artist, female figure studies have always outnumbered males.  In other dicussions about this men & women have generally agreed that women just have overall more aesthetically appealing forms.  It's evolutionary biology, female bodies evolved to be visually appealing to attract mates, males evolved to look more like a brutish alpha hunter.  Both genders are programmed to look in terms of mateworthiness and recognize bodies on that basis, so the body that's designed to be more appealing aestheically will be observed more.

Oct 24 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

I shoot both men and women.
I find it hard sometimes when I shoot men to find a comfortable balance between having a sexual tension that comes across in the photo and and making it clear that I don't want the guy to hit on me.

Oct 24 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

CL Photography wrote:

Any comments?

Why would women shoot men?  Probably for the same reason men shoot women, b/c they're interested in the subject matter or are part of what a client wants.

I'm not sure why this keeps coming up.   People shoot depending upon want and need. 

There are a number of male photographers who shoot weddings.  Not because they're particularly interested in the bride but b/c it makes money.

Oct 24 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Afinity Photography

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

CL Photography wrote:

Looking at you would make any guy melt so I can see that being a problem.

aww thanks smile

Oct 24 06 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Women have too many excuses to not shoot men ...

EL

Oct 24 06 02:17 pm Link

Model

Ryoga Vee

Sunnyvale, California, US

I was going to make a post about this today, but was too lazy to do it. I’m far more comfortable with shooting with a female. That and I've have 1 too many bad experience with male photographers. I know women complain about random creepy GWC. But men get it too. And I guess I’ve been a lil too naive or gullible or just a bad judge of character lately.
You can make your own assumptions as to what im referring to, but you get the idea.
If a male photographer approached me for a shoot im hesitant as to what he is actually after, if a female does, I'm far more comfortable and able to just be me with out the fear that something might go array

Oct 24 06 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Purple Sea Photography

Waukesha, Wisconsin, US

I'd love to shoot more males, but as stated several times, it is more difficult to find them.  So far, when I have found them, they have very specific ideas about what they want to do, and are not so willing to dive in and be adventurous.

S

Oct 24 06 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

Long Branch, New Jersey, US

CL Photography wrote:

Any comments?

Because female photographers aren't doing this to get dates..  haha  just kidding.

Oct 24 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Los Angeles, California, US

Viva Van Story wrote:

Because female photographers aren't doing this to get dates..  haha  just kidding.

depends on their taste in which sex constitutes a date

Oct 24 06 03:49 pm Link

Model

Able

Durham, North Carolina, US

Because either way it's the women that get you noticed. Those are the shots that sell and even on here they are the shots with all the views. There was a thread about posting your shots on here that had 1000+ views and I bet 90% were near naked women. When people say "sex sells", they are NOT talkin about mis cacahuetes I can tell you that.

Oct 24 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

Able wrote:
Because either way it's the women that get you noticed. Those are the shots that sell and even on here they are the shots with all the views. There was a thread about posting your shots on here that had 1000+ views and I bet 90% were near naked women. When people say "sex sells", they are NOT talkin about mis cacahuetes I can tell you that.

Amen to that!

Oct 24 06 05:03 pm Link

Model

Ryoga Vee

Sunnyvale, California, US

Able wrote:
When people say "sex sells", they are NOT talkin about mis cacahuetes I can tell you that.

I guess the question comes down to being if one is in it for money or artistic expression. Yes women are appealing to look at, but so are trees, dogs, brick walls and salamanders.
Point is, a male model can be all thethings a female model can be, and some under the right setting.

Oct 24 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

Women shoot mostly women for a few reason...there about 20 times the number of female models to male.  Also, the market wants female models.  In addition, even women know that women are prettier than men, duh !!

Oct 24 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

I shoot the ocassional guy. But quite honestly I think more girls want to be photographed than guys. Uneven ratio but true.

Oct 24 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Kelly Sedivec-Ealy

Iowa City, Iowa, US

Simple and short...if you are serious about fashion and beauty and want to make that your market you shoot what you see the most and that is women...

I hope to work more with men and women couples in the future...and if a client wanted it I would be more then happy to shoot a man...but it is a field of majority ...women...

Just my thoughts...

p.s I don't ever shoot a subject because I like them....( guys shooting women because they like them ) I shoot for my portfolio, my job, the look , the future...the other has nothing to do with it...

Kelly

Oct 25 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Caroline Ann Martin

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Hi everyone smile
So far, most of my TFCD shoots have been with men.  For me, my focus is getting good shots and anything other issues fall to the wayside.
smile Caroline

Oct 25 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

Iris Swope wrote:
I'd love to shoot more guys.
But there aren't many of the type I want to shoot.
Woman are still prettier, easier to pose, etc. than guys.

I find men easier to shoot.

Oct 25 06 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I'm a female photographer and don't shoot a lot of men for several reasons....

9 out of 10 times I get asked by a male model to shoot them...they send me tacky photos of their genitals...which I am NOT interested in...

6 out of 10 times they think I want to have sex with them...which I DON'T...

5 out of 10 times they want me to provide a female model for them to pose with...

Very few in the area that I live in (the Midwest) have a unique enough "look" to make me even half interested in shooting them....

These are my reasons....

Oct 25 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

CL Photography wrote:

Any comments?

I want to shoot some male art photos as well, but the guys in art photos usually turn out looking too gay.

Oct 25 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jason P Hunt

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Another thing to consider is the mindset of men vs. women. I don't think as many men view themselves as "pretty" or photogenic. I think women (in general) are more conscious of their appearance and what others look like.

Men are visually-oriented, which means they like to LOOK. They don't necessarily have thoughts about being looked AT. Which is why there's more demand for female models for guys to look at.

I think women are more comfortable with the whole "Look at me. I'm beautiful." attitude, because they're raised to be pretty. Men are raised to be tough and rugged.

Just a thought.

Oct 26 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

If a woman shoots a woman naked its called art
If a woman shoots a man naked its called art
If a man shoots a woman naked he's called a prev
If a man shoots a guy naked he's called a gay

Life as a male photographer of naked people sucks.

Oct 26 06 10:58 am Link

Model

CarolineN

Schaumburg, Illinois, US

It's hard to find good male models.

Oct 26 06 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

I prefer shooting men, but the market demands women.

Oct 26 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

San Diego, California, US

i send my girlfriend to shoot guy clients because i'm not gay... unless they have lots of money, lmao.

Oct 27 06 06:16 am Link