Forums > General Industry > Model Release before or after shoot ????

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Raquel Gonzalez wrote:
I present the release before the shoot - but don't sign until after - and it SAYS so on my release ... mostly because I allow the model to review each and every photo taken - after she's reviewed the pics, she signs - basically saying that she's reviewed and 'approved' all of the photos .. and the other standard release stuff smile

Have you ever run into a model not wanting to sign the release in this situation? If so, how did you overcome that?

Oct 20 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

dfstudios

Mill Valley, California, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Either that or you're aware of a whole new avenue of releases that I haven't discovered.

There are so many releases, "avenues?" there are streets no has dreamed of, no one can read them all.

You cleared up your own message. What I was trying to post: Too many photographers throw up a model release on a youngster after the shoot. How can she/he tell what is in their best interest?

Show the release and they agree before the shoot.

Oct 20 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

let's take a few minutes and think this out.Why would you demand a model sign a release first.I am not saying there are not some situations in this industry where that is
not the case but in most sessions it sounds dumb to me. Are you going to pay her first before she does anywork,I 'll bet the answer is no,you won't.
   Are you afraid she won't do what you want her to do, what difference would it make if she signed before or after,if she doesn't want to do something, she ain't gonna do it ,period!!
     Not to mention I would want a model that is comfortable and cooperative to work with.Also, the unspoken rule is always, "no signee release,no getee paid",and that means in tfp or cash.

Oct 20 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

Before.  It's just part of the routine.  She fills that out while I shoot her ID.  Keeps me from forgetting either.  It's usually laid out in the same place every time with a pen ready, just part of the usual setup prep.

Obviously anybody who wants to see it before hand can - I email them a pdf.

I do think I've had one or two models ask to sign it after but I can't remember specifically who so it must have been at least a year ago.

Oct 20 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

dfstudios wrote:

There are so many releases, "avenues?" there are streets no has dreamed of, no one can read them all.

You cleared up your own message. What I was trying to post: Too many photographers throw up a model release on a youngster after the shoot. How can she/he tell what is in their best interest?

Show the release and they agree before the shoot.

Agreed...100%

Oct 20 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Myopic Earache

Chicago, Illinois, US

I always email a copy of the exact release (pre-dated) to the model and have them sign it after the shoot.  The last two sentences of the release states "I have read the foregoing prior to its execution and I am fully familiar with and agree to the contents thereof.   I have signed this agreement upon completion of the photo shoot and irrevocably authorize the contents thereof."

Oct 20 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

studio36uk wrote:
Would you ask the younger ones to only show you their ID after the shoot too? If you haven't taken any images why look at their ID either?

Studio36

CLT wrote:
Don't see any validity in your comparison.

You soon will if you shoot ten rolls of film of one nude and then find out she was 15. "Honest officer, she SAID she was 19. Really" Honest!"

ROTFLMAO

Seriously, even if it wasn't nudes you get to the end and find out she's not old enough to sign a release at all. So much wasted time and she'll be away without signing at all. Hell, what do you even do with the images if she wasn't old enough to consent to being shot in the first place - release or no release?

Studio36

Oct 20 06 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Loads of answers ... Good !

It may not matter if you got a relationship going on but in the commercial world we always do discuss and sign before.
In the internet world I would be worried about model changing mind not signing and wasting my time and energy. Also it seems the internet world is full of scam and gold diggers (no offense intended - lol).
Kinda of what I think the young lady had in mind.

I wish there was a survey poll on this one - M&M put that feature on the list.

EL

Oct 20 06 04:31 pm Link

Model

Julie Renee

Roseville, California, US

as a model, I hate being presented with the release after the shoot. To me, it should be done beforehand or at least notified before the shoot that there will be a release. but that's just me.

Oct 20 06 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

Probably depends on what you are shooting and how well you know the model. I don't ask for a release until after the shoot.

Oct 20 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

studio36uk wrote:
You soon will if you shoot ten rolls of film of one nude and then find out she was 15. "Honest officer, she SAID she was 19. Really" Honest!"

ROTFLMAO

Seriously, even if it wasn't nudes you get to the end and find out she's not old enough to sign a release at all. So much wasted time and she'll be away without signing at all. Hell, what do you even do with the images if she wasn't old enough to consent to being shot in the first place - release or no release?

Studio36

Still don't see how it relates to my policy of giving the model the rights to put down her signature after the shoot. I discuss the entire terms and condition, including age verification prior to the shoot. For protection of the models, if they feel some shots obtained were not the type of shots we have agreed to do, they have the rights to inspect those shots before laying down his or her signature. It's just one extra step I take to ensure I build trusting relationships with my collaborators. I live in a small town, and the supply of model is very limited. Having trust is important to me.

-CLT

Oct 20 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Raquelly

Newark, New Jersey, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

Have you ever run into a model not wanting to sign the release in this situation? If so, how did you overcome that?

I've never had that happen - everything is discussed before the shoot and as I'm "setting up" she's reading the release - while testing I "explain" the release.   Then as she's getting dressed I'm downloading pics - and as I'm cleaning up she's looking thru the pics and signing - I then sign a copy for her and we're done wink

Oct 20 06 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Always before.

The model gets a copy of my info, the shoot info, the shoot rules, and the release.

I don't book a shoot until the model confirms they have read everything and are in agreement with it.

My time is the most precious thing I have and I don't like wasting it.

My resources, while renewable just cheese me off when they're wasted.

Oct 20 06 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

B E F O R E...

What if the model you shot (without a release) was under age? Then you would have committed an crime.

I always let every model knows what up before the shot and can send them the release via email.

On the job, I have them and a witness sign it and I copy there drivers license and staple the two together. Then I make 2 copies of everything and give the model a copy.

I do though prefer working with models 21 and over... but have had some great sessions with 18 year olds that were very professional.

Oct 20 06 11:57 pm Link