Forums > General Industry > Model Release before or after shoot ????

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

This is a new one on me ...

Model wanted to sign release after the shoot { I assume "if she wanted to" }.

I can't agree to build a set, do the shoot, pay the model and then no release. Sounds SCAM to me ...

Have you ever done this ?

EL

Oct 20 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

ONLY BEFORE !!!!!!   Models after shoots are like girls after sex.  They are filled with regret and wish they had never done it.  They wont sign the release.  ONLY BEFORE !!!

Oct 20 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

I always ask them to sign after the shoot because how can you agree to release images that haven't even been captured? If you don't trust the model enough, then sign a contract before the shoot stating that the model either sign the release or pay your stated rates.

EDIT: A release signed before the actual shoots are less likely to hold it's strength in court, should the situation ever reach that point.

Oct 20 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Although I have a bad habit of going over the release after the shoot, I do think it's a good idea to do it before. Signing afterwards, there have been times when I was tired and forgot. That sucks.

Oct 20 06 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

No brainer.
Before!

Oct 20 06 01:09 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

That's BS.

I want to see the release via email before I even agree to shoot.

Oct 20 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

CLT wrote:
I always ask them to sign after the shoot because how can you agree to release images that haven't even been captured? If you don't trust the model enough, then sign a contract before the shoot stating that the model either sign the release or pay your stated rates.

EDIT: A release signed before the actual shoots are less likely to hold it's strength in court, should the situation ever reach that point.

If a model ever took you to court over the release then I would just say they signed it after the shoot.  Who would ever know ?

Oct 20 06 01:12 pm Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

I've never had a photographer ask me to sign one prior to shooting. But then again I've got one hell of a track record and unless we go through the photos after the shoot and you were sneaking spreadshots I didn't authorize prior to the shoot ... I'm easy to get along with, professional and trustworthy. smile

N.

Oct 20 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

ActionShots Photo

Barboursville, West Virginia, US

New one on me too... never had one that cared that much... I'd be interested to know what made the model so nervous. If you know or can find out, I'd love to hear the story.

I always present the release before shooting with the comment in there somewhere that they will need this release signed by both of us to use the shots... of course I also use one that allows usage by both parties and that (from what i read here) is pretty rare. Commercial jobs are a bit different... for that it doesn't matter whether the model likes the shot or not as long as the customer does!

Oct 20 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

I agree it should be a no brainer.
She can see it before shoot day if she wants and I might agree to small changes.
Its not only legal ... think of the time and money spent to get materials and build the set. Could be thousands of dollars and many hours. Could loose the account if product is not on time or no release.
This issue resulted in a show stopper and it was artistic nude in nature.
What if she wants more money or does not sign ???
I never have heard such a thing in 30 years and thousands of models.
Thats why I call it a SCAM in the brewing ...

P.S. She also wanted  2  copies of release w RAW images and $50 per hour. I only give images under TFP and paid is for my use only .

EL

Oct 20 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Daniela V wrote:
That's BS.

I agree. I always e-mail the release along with a formal offer (a summary of what's been discussed) about a week before the shoot. That way the model can't come back and say she didn't have time to read/understand the release.

Oct 20 06 01:14 pm Link

Model

Nala Mills

Chicago, Illinois, US

Before. I was in a situation where the released wasn't discussed until after the shoot. I didn't even know about it. Had I know before, I would have had the chance to look it over and see if I agreed with it. If I didn't I would have had the chance to walk away.

Oct 20 06 01:16 pm Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

I love working with artistic photographers. Saves on the BS.

N.

Oct 20 06 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

PIC wrote:
This is a new one on me ...

Model wanted to sign release after the shoot { I assume "if she wanted to" }.

I can't agree to build a set, do the shoot, pay the model and then no release. Sounds SCAM to me ...

Have you ever done this ?

EL

For 99% of my shoots, I don't even turn on the lights until the release is signed. To wait until after the shoot is to open a huge can of worms. Paperwork first, shoot second. The other 1%? When you're a true Diva, what mama wants, mama gets!

Paul

Oct 20 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

Nemesis73 wrote:
and you were sneaking spreadshots I didn't authorize prior to the shoot ...

N.

what is a spreadshot ?

Oct 20 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

Daniela V wrote:
That's BS.

I have my model release form on my website and you may look at all you want and we can work on what needs changed to make the model happy but still, no signed release = no shoot.
Problems may never happen the other way around but it only takes one to screw a photographer over.

Oct 20 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

tark

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

my photographer explained it to me before the shoot and i signed it after the shoot!!!
there should be trust there.....i hope hahaha smile

Oct 20 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

Before.

Oct 20 06 01:34 pm Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

Kinetic Photography wrote:

what is a spreadshot ?

tell me you're f--king kidding ...

ok guys, for the ones who need to go back to 5th grade -- if my gynecologist can recognize me in the shot, it's a spreadshot.

N.

Oct 20 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Always before the shoot.

That way you don't have to untie their hands wink

Oct 20 06 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

Nemesis73 wrote:

tell me you're f--king kidding ...

ok guys, for the ones who need to go back to 5th grade -- if my gynecologist can recognize me in the shot, it's a spreadshot.

N.

ahhhh, gotcha

Oct 20 06 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

timothy dolph creative

Encinitas, California, US

always BEFORE the shoot.

Oct 20 06 02:18 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I am rarely asked to sign before, almost always after.

Oct 20 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

dfstudios

Mill Valley, California, US

No signing after the shoot. ALWAYS (did I say always loud enough) present the actual release before the shoot. I know it is rude but this is one time that caps are essential. How could an individual know what they are accepting?

Oct 20 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

jack for photos

Great Barrington, Massachusetts, US

before, always.

Oct 20 06 02:24 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

If a model ever took you to court over the release then I would just say they signed it after the shoot.  Who would ever know ?

Lol...wow...that's weak...you just said you'd lie in court...basically to dick over a model. I'm sorry...I don't think that's the least bit okay. You're entitled to your preference about when to sign a release...but that's way uncool to do that to a model...or anyone for that matter. If it's okay to sign a release before why would you have to lie?

Oct 20 06 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

dfstudios

Daniela V wrote:
That's BS.

Voice of wisdom. ALWAYS (let me repeat ALWAYS) see the release before the shoot. It takes no time at all, photographers, browse to your release, click add, send email. Twenty seconds, max. Models, if the release is not for you, do not agree.

Cheers.

Oct 20 06 02:32 pm Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

I always sign after.

Oct 20 06 02:36 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ya know, most don't ask me to sign until after.  I guess that's because I have a relationship with them going into things and there is no doubt I'll refuse to sign.  I suppose if there is any doubt or it's someone you don't already know, asking them to sign first does make the most sense.

Oct 20 06 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

dfstudios

SickShooter wrote:
I always sign after.

Hi SickShooter. It doesn't matter when you sign. But you should expect to see a copy of the release before the shooot. If there is a good relationship between yourself and the photographer, you can sign whenever you want.

Oct 20 06 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I don't see the point of signing after the shoot. It's a contract/agreement documenting the terms of the shoot or, more accurately, the terms that have already been discussed and agreed upon prior to even meeting for the shoot. Before the shoot the release gets signed...or there is no shoot. I've never had a problem since there are never surprises at the time of the shoot. I'd worry about a model's motivation if she was only willing to sign after.

Oct 20 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

dfstudios

Susi wrote:
Ya know, most don't ask me to sign until after.  I guess that's because I have a relationship with them going into things and there is no doubt I'll refuse to sign.

What she said. Establish the relationship, no problem with the release. This all seems like fun and games until there is a boat load of money on the table and somebody with a boat load of $$$$ wants your image.

Oct 20 06 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

ONLY BEFORE !!!!!!   Models after shoots are like girls after sex.  They are filled with regret and wish they had never done it.  They wont sign the release.  ONLY BEFORE !!!

Although I do agree with before to protect both parties...I'm not sure the analogy is going to be accepted too well and it doesn't sound to me like all the cards are on the table up front. Why would a model be filled with regret and wish she had never done the shoot? And then refuse to sign the release? For that matter, who are the women you're having sex with that are regretting it afterward lol.

Oct 20 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

CLT wrote:
I always ask them to sign after the shoot because how can you agree to release images that haven't even been captured?

Would you ask the younger ones to only show you their ID after the shoot too? If you haven't taken any images why look at their ID either?

Studio36

Oct 20 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Neda Asli wrote:
there should be trust there.....i hope hahaha smile

In God we trust... all others do the paperwork first.

Studio36

Oct 20 06 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

dfstudios

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
For that matter, who are the women you're having sex with that are regretting it afterward lol.

Actually dude, most of the issues with releases are with money. Not with sex.

Oct 20 06 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

studio36uk wrote:
Would you ask the younger ones to only show you their ID after the shoot too? If you haven't taken any images why look at their ID either?

Studio36

Don't see any validity in your comparison.

Oct 20 06 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

John Jebbia wrote:
Although I have a bad habit of going over the release after the shoot, I do think it's a good idea to do it before. Signing afterwards, there have been times when I was tired and forgot. That sucks.

Been there done that, but before is better imo

Oct 20 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

dfstudios wrote:

Actually dude, most of the issues with releases are with money. Not with sex.

Yeah dude I'm not too sure you got my point directed to Kinetic. I was responding to his analogy that "models are like girls after sex...they regret it." But I appreciate the input and would have to agree with you...the issues with releases are not about sex. Either that or you're aware of a whole new avenue of releases that I haven't discovered.

Oct 20 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Raquelly

Newark, New Jersey, US

I present the release before the shoot - but don't sign until after - and it SAYS so on my release ... mostly because I allow the model to review each and every photo taken - after she's reviewed the pics, she signs - basically saying that she's reviewed and 'approved' all of the photos .. and the other standard release stuff smile

Oct 20 06 03:04 pm Link