Forums > General Industry > GWC needs help

Photographer

Creative Image

Avon, Connecticut, US

Seems to me your profile write-up is almost apologetic.  Actually, you have some strong images there  Write less, more to the point.

Ron

Oct 21 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Daniela V and BlackWatch, I emailed you both but thanks again.

StereoRandy,  I'll give it a try AFTER I have corrected my profile, letter and pictures. Thanks.

Oct 21 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well Eric, what can I say? The internet and the forums are strange places,  places which in my own experience defy logic. I'm another old fart, probably older than you, but I'm a retired commercial photographer, a former photography instructor, a publish photography author and an internationally exhibited photographic artist and I still can't get models from this forum interested in working with me. When one actually answers an email and agrees to a shoot, she doesn't show up. The last one from this forum actually said, "I just don't understand why photographers get upset by this (no shows)". On the other hand, ladies who are not models pose for my work on a regular basis. I've essentially given up on working with net models. Now I may send out emails to models from the forums only 2 to 6 times per year, most of which are ignored, otherwise I work with non models.

My advice? Look for students if you are near a college, advertise in college newspapers and on student bulletin boards, esp in the college art dept.  Carry good quality busines cards around with you on a regular basis and pass them out with a simple, "If you are interested in posing, contact me". Make certain you have you web site on the card! I met a young lady who was working in a video rental shop and ended up working with her off and on for two years. Use relatives, friends, and friends of relatives as models. Remember, we used to do this before the internet!

Oct 21 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Thanks Doug.  I took a quick look at your "real" site and will spend some time tomorrow really looking at it.

Oct 21 06 08:58 pm Link