Forums > General Industry > freaked out mom #2

Photographer

Sagacity Studios

Sacramento, California, US

Got a shoot with a model thats 17. Its a rocker/punk themed shoot, no nudity nothing implied, nothing racy. Mom thinks that ALL the photographers on MM are not legit (her moms actual words according to the model) & is worried i'm gonna put her daughters face on a naked woman's body. #1. I don't shoot nudes and #2. i'm not that good with photoshop....LOL. So I told the model i'd send the mother by e-mail a model/photo release form, for the mother to review and call me with any questions. Does anybody have a stardard "protective mother model release" all typed up already that I might be able to borrow some of the legal language from? Something that says legally that i'm not going to put her daughters face on a playboy bunnys body and sell them to her father on accident?

Oct 19 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Why do any of you even CONSIDER working with models that young?

Oct 19 06 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

My advice? Don't work with the model.

Any type of release you try to modify/type up that satisfactorily says you won't modify the image of the model by putting her head on someone else's body is going to put you at too much legal liability.

If her mom is nuts, wait till she's old enough to shoot without the permission of her mom.

Edited to add:  My advice has nothing to do with the model's age by the way... if this was a 25 year old model who was demanding some sort of assurance in writing that I wasn't going to put her head on someone's nude body... (why wouldn't I just shoot it that way in the first place???)... my advice would be the same... don't shoot with her.

Oct 19 06 06:01 pm Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

pw-gii photographics wrote:

why not? I'm only 17.

Oct 19 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Sagacity Studios

Because i've worked with at least 5 models from ages 14-17 and had no problems b/c the parents came to the shoot, signed the model release and that was that. Not a single hitch.

Oct 19 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Sooner or later there will always be a hitch.

Oct 19 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Sagacity Studios

Thats why i'm taking care of it in advance....BEFORE we shoot. Smart huh? ;-)

Oct 19 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

why not? I'm only 17.

You will only be 17 for a short while.  You will be older than that for a LONG time. 

Be in no hurry to grow up.

Enjoy your youth.

Model

Antonina

Atlanta, Georgia, US

??? maybe because not all teen models and moms are like that

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

I think its a parody thread of this:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=83703

Oct 19 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

See above (two above).

Oct 19 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Sagacity Studios

Farenell Photography wrote:

I think its a parody thread of this:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=83703

I'd have to say these two posts are only generally related, not much good advice so far. Well James at least made some sense.

Oct 19 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Purple Sea Photography

Waukesha, Wisconsin, US

Why not?  New models/young actresses need portfolios and headshots, too!
S

Oct 19 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

perhaps showing mom your type of work alone will settle her down? For whatever reason photographers have picked up a bum rap on ethics. It suks, but as long as its not Brooke Shields mom your good to go.

Oct 19 06 06:19 pm Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

why not? I'm only 17.

You will only be 17 for a short while.  You will be older than that for a LONG time. 

Enjoy your youth.

How does me wanting to model mean that I'm in a hurry to grow up?

Oct 19 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Sagacity Studios wrote:
Mom thinks that ALL the photographers on MM are not legit . . .

Just forget it, man. You can't reason with insanity. You ever tried to talk some sense into
a drunk? Same thing, but this one won't sober up.

Drop back ten and punt.

Oct 19 06 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Sagacity Studios

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
perhaps showing mom your type of work alone will settle her down? For whatever reason photographers have picked up a bum rap on ethics. It suks, but as long as its not Brooke Shields mom your good to go.

Good advice Hadyn. The whole thing about the editing the photos on naked chicks just kills me. I've worked with alot of models some who shoot nude. I could shoot those anytime i wanted. Couldn't anyone with a camera and zoom lens on the street take a photo of her daughter and edit it however they wanted?

Oct 19 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Sagacity Studios

Chip Morton wrote:

Just forget it, man. You can't reason with insanity. You ever tried to talk some sense into
a drunk? Same thing, but this one won't sober up.

Drop back ten and punt.

LOL! Think its that bad huh? Where is the special teams coach when you need him?

Oct 19 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Nora_Neko wrote:

why not? I'm only 17.

Enjoy your youth.

I just gave you some good advice.  You can listen or not as you choose.  But print this out and put it in an envelope 'to be opened when I turn 30' and open it when you do and then decide.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't want to model - far from that!  But give yourself a few years.

Oct 19 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Artist Photography

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

One more reason I'm soooo gladd to be out of the commercial side of the biz.

I now have on all of my online portfolio web sites that my work with models is limited to fine art figure nude studies.

Yeah, yeah, my website still has old info on it, but it'll be updated soon.....

I've said it once and I'm sure I'll say it again - and again: gallery representation is a wonderful thing!!

Oct 19 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

MoJo40

Baltimore, Maryland, US

It behooves me....

See trap
Set around trap
Leave cheese in trap (don't look at cheese, don't taste cheese, don't smell cheese, don't photog cheese)
Keep walking
Ignore the cheese........

:-)~

Oct 19 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Better skin, less set in their ways, capable of more range than the "older models."

Oct 19 06 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

hey , look at my port.  actually 12-17 i generally dont work with.

Oct 19 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Searcher wrote:
Better skin, less set in their ways, capable of more range than the "older models."

? show me a younger model that can do what e-string or wind can do..

Oct 19 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Sagacity Studios wrote:
Got a shoot with a model thats 17. Its a rocker/punk themed shoot, no nudity nothing implied, nothing racy. Mom thinks that ALL the photographers on MM are not legit (her moms actual words according to the model) & is worried i'm gonna put her daughters face on a naked woman's body. #1. I don't shoot nudes and #2. i'm not that good with photoshop....LOL. So I told the model i'd send the mother by e-mail a model/photo release form, for the mother to review and call me with any questions. Does anybody have a stardard "protective mother model release" all typed up already that I might be able to borrow some of the legal language from? Something that says legally that i'm not going to put her daughters face on a playboy bunnys body and sell them to her father on accident?

There is no release which will help with this situation. Wish the mother a nice day and move on. Not all parents are totally sane and more than one mother has ruined a daughter's career.

Oct 19 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

lotusphoto wrote:

Legally?

Oct 19 06 07:25 pm Link

Model

Mosh

Los Angeles, California, US

Nora_Neko wrote:

why not? I'm only 17.

Enjoy your youth.

I just gave you some good advice.  You can listen or not as you choose.  But print this out and put it in an envelope 'to be opened when I turn 30' and open it when you do and then decide.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't want to model - far from that!  But give yourself a few years.

Im sorry but that sounds a little odd. I, for one, am not in a hurry to grow up, but love the art and expression in modeling. In your opinion, its "good advice", it really depends on how open you are to the idea of 'under-age' modeling. Why are you suggesting to wait until your 30 to decide such a thing? I am enjoying my youth, and why not celebrate it by capturing it in a photograph?

Oct 19 06 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

I don't see anything wrong with shooting underage girls as long as it's not sexual. It's a legitimate question pertaining to photography. So why put the OP in a position of defending and explaining himself rather than being productive?

you can run into trouble with models of any age if you're not careful. He's just asking for advice on how to keep a mother happy.

Just because you don't prefer to do "deal with it", it doesn't mean it's wrong.

Oct 19 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Mark Sebastian wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with shooting underage girls as long as it's not sexual. It's a legitimate question pertaining to photography. So why put the OP in a position of defending and explaining himself rather than being productive?

you can run into trouble with models of any age if you're not careful. He's just asking for advice on how to keep a mother happy.

Wow... reading comprehension *is* a lost art isn't it?

Oct 19 06 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Well those of us who shoot primarily commercial fashion usually work with girls as young as 13 in some cases. The average age of a model in fashion is about 15.

Oct 19 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

James Jackson wrote:
Wow... reading comprehension *is* a lost art isn't it?

i'll bet you think this post is about you.

Oct 19 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Nora_Neko wrote:
why not? I'm only 17.

Bingo

Oct 19 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Sagacity Studios wrote:
Because i've worked with at least 5 models from ages 14-17 and had no problems b/c the parents came to the shoot, signed the model release and that was that. Not a single hitch.

Next weekend, I'm shooting with 4 models that were in the "Style Week" fashion show that I shot on Oct. 7th in Seattle. Two of them are well under 18 and thier moms will be there during the shoot. I'm looking forward to seeing them all again.

https://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_hr_15415610/8c8b/__hr_/b8c5.jpg?grgXGOFBmZzvPuXN

https://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_hr_15415610/8c8b/__hr_/95b3.jpg?grgXGOFBV9Bjp8fU

https://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_hr_15415610/8c8b/__hr_/1652.jpg?grgXGOFBrCYoIm0f

Oct 19 06 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Sagacity Studios

Mark Sebastian wrote:
It's a legitimate question pertaining to photography. So why put the OP in a position of defending and explaining himself rather than being productive?

Just because you don't prefer to do "deal with it", it doesn't mean it's wrong.

FINALLY someone understands. Just trying to get some advice, thats all i'm after. Insane mom i'm dealing with? Maybe, maybe not, we don't know her history or that of the girl. Insane MMer's blathering this and that and not offering any help when its asked...definitly.

Oct 19 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

lotusphoto wrote:

Searcher wrote:
Legally?

no kidding. I don't even want to know.

Oct 19 06 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Sagacity Studios wrote:
Insane MMer's blathering this and that and not offering any help when its asked...definitly.

Woohoo!

Oct 19 06 08:58 pm Link

Model

_Tasha_

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Sagacity Studios wrote:
Does anybody have a stardard "protective mother model release" all typed up already that I might be able to borrow some of the legal language from? Something that says legally that i'm not going to put her daughters face on a playboy bunnys body and sell them to her father on accident?

do you even know what a model release is?

Oct 19 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

You may want to keep in mind that people who are a pain in the ass before any work is done, are usually pains in the ass afterwords too.

How'd you like the police to show up 3 weeks after the shoot because the mother thinks you "look-raped" her daughter?

Oct 19 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

SKPhoto wrote:
You may want to keep in mind that people who are a pain in the ass before any work is done, are usually pains in the ass afterwords too.

Exactly! This goes for vendors, suppliers, models, mice, bakers and candle stick makers. This is why I said punt.

The one notable exception is The Royal Imbibers and Libation types who calm down considerably after a coldie or three.

Now, where's that Clack bastard and his fridge full of Beck's?!

Oct 19 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I disagree unless your content is questionable. One of the models in my port was only 17 and a wonderful model. Her mom was great as well. No hitch here.

Aaron

Oct 19 06 09:43 pm Link