Forums > General Industry > freaked out mom #2

Photographer

RickHorowitzPhotography

Fresno, California, US

ADGibson wrote:

I disagree unless your content is questionable. One of the models in my port was only 17 and a wonderful model. Her mom was great as well. No hitch here.

Aaron

Well, there you are!  That proves there will never be one ever! 

-- rick

Oct 19 06 09:48 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

pw-gii photographics wrote:

Nora_Neko wrote:

why not? I'm only 17.

You will only be 17 for a short while.  You will be older than that for a LONG time. 

Be in no hurry to grow up.

Enjoy your youth.

How does me wanting to model mean that I'm in a hurry to grow up?

I just gave you some good advice.  You can listen or not as you choose.  But print this out and put it in an envelope 'to be opened when I turn 30' and open it when you do and then decide.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't want to model - far from that!  But give yourself a few years.

This is coming from a photographer, not an agency or another model. 17 is a perfect age to start.

Someone up there posted that the average age for fashion models is 15, which is something I think he pretty much plucked out of his ass. The average age for fashion models is mid-twenties, but the average/best age to START is during the teenage years.

But back to the OP. Just use a regular model release form, that Mom will sign. Throw in there that you'll be using the images for your portfolio use only. If she's not cool with that, move on. It's up to the model to "convince" her mom, not you. And the mom might be nutty, but she has her daughter's best interests in mind.

xx!

Oct 19 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Nora_Neko wrote:

why not? I'm only 17.

You will only be 17 for a short while.  You will be older than that for a LONG time. 

Be in no hurry to grow up.

Enjoy your youth.

How does me wanting to model mean that I'm in a hurry to grow up?

I just gave you some good advice.  You can listen or not as you choose.  But print this out and put it in an envelope 'to be opened when I turn 30' and open it when you do and then decide.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't want to model - far from that!  But give yourself a few years.

You gave crap ass advice, this is America..If she wants to model she has every right to do so. It has nothing to do with growing up too fast. Most models are in that age range anyway..if anything she is late.

Go for it and dont let any onld farts tell you differntly. Let your mom do her thing to protect you. Communicate with professionals, check them out and go for it.

Its all very simple. Life is too short.

V

Oct 19 06 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Sagacity Studios

Sacramento, California, US

But back to the OP. Just use a regular model release form, that Mom will sign. Throw in there that you'll be using the images for your portfolio use only. If she's not cool with that, move on. It's up to the model to "convince" her mom, not you. And the mom might be nutty, but she has her daughter's best interests in mind.

xx!

Sounds very reasonable, thanks.

Oct 19 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Sagacity Studios wrote:

Good advice Hadyn. The whole thing about the editing the photos on naked chicks just kills me. I've worked with alot of models some who shoot nude. I could shoot those anytime i wanted. Couldn't anyone with a camera and zoom lens on the street take a photo of her daughter and edit it however they wanted?

yup they sure could.

Oct 20 06 04:24 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Nora_Neko wrote:

why not? I'm only 17.

Sorry...While not all minors are crazy, all parents definitely are.

Oct 20 06 07:59 am Link