Forums > General Industry > Model releases for shooting on the street?

Photographer

Scott Ramsay Images

Austin, Texas, US

Since alot of you photgraphers seem to know the "rules of the game", maybe you could lend me some input.  I want to shoot an expose of homeless people around the city of Austin with the hopes of having a gallery showing... and if all went really well, maybe making a book out of it.  Do I need to get model releases from the people I shoot? I will definately "ask" permission to shoot these folks, and probably give them each $5.00 for letting me take thier picture, which in thier world...is like $50.00! I will also spend some time with my subjects getting to know their name and hopefully their story.  I know that a gallery showing and "selling" book are two different scenarios, but I would like to know if any of you know the applicable laws regarding shooting people in public places.

Any input is welcomed and thanks!

Cheers,

Scott

Oct 19 06 11:36 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ramucci Studios wrote:
Since alot of you photgraphers seem to know the "rules of the game", maybe you could lend me some input.  I want to shoot an expose of homeless people around the city of Austin with the hopes of having a gallery showing... and if all went really well, maybe making a book out of it.  Do I need to get model releases from the people I shoot? I will definately "ask" permission to shoot these folks, and probably give them each $5.00 for letting me take thier picture, which in thier world...is like $50.00! I will also spend some time with my subjects getting to know their name and hopefully their story.  I know that a gallery showing and "selling" book are two different scenarios, but I would like to know if any of you know the applicable laws regarding shooting people in public places.

Cheers,

Scott

The laws are different in some cities/states/provinces then others. Generally, it's wise to get releases from people who "pose" for you as a precaution. On the street, i.e. shooting street scenes which include people in a public place, releases are not necessary.

Oct 19 06 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ramucci Studios wrote:

Cheers,

Scott

Oct 19 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

You don't need a release to photograph people in most public places but I found
your comment about the $5.00 you planned to give them to be in their world
like $50.00 insulting.  These are still human beings.  Down on their luck or mentally
ill but human beings like all of us and $5.00 is never like $50.00.

Oct 19 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Scott Ramsay Images

Austin, Texas, US

Sorry...I didn't mean to be insulting.  I actually go out every year when it gets cold and bring them blankets and food.  I had 5 bucks left in my pocket around Christmas last year....and gave it to a homeless man and said...I am sorry I only have $5 bucks and he said...brotha....this is like $50 bucks to me.  This is where that came from.

~s

Oct 19 06 11:55 am Link

Model

Alex Davenport

Spokane, Missouri, US

I thought that was a really rude statement as well. It seems like you care about them and want to tell their story in hopes of others wanting to help and then you throw a rude, condescending comment like that it. We all know they are poor- thats why theyre HOMELESS. You could pay them each 20.00 and not even miss it. ANYWAYS, I read your explanation and that's fine- I just thought a lot of what you said was rude. That being said- I really dont see a need for a model release form if they give you permission, are paid, and are more than happy to participate. Just my opinion. Sounds like an interesting project and I hope it all goes well!

Oct 19 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

SI Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

You really will need a release if you are going to make a profit on this book and showing you mention. Also, bump it to at least $50 for them since you will make money on the side. Don't want to end up like the "Bum Fights" producers did and lose millions later when a savvy lawyer starts talking to the homeless later and making a case against you.

Oct 19 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
and $5.00 is never like $50.00.

...Unless you're in a third world country.

Oct 19 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

$5 is more than they had before you photographed them.  As far as the release, I think it would be a good idea to get one.  There are grey areas about public shooting a releases but I would suggest you get one.

Oct 19 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Chip Miller

Brooklyn, New York, US

I did something like this in NYC.  I shot over 150 people in 2 days against a white background.  (Very Avedonish)  I had everyone sign a full release and had in writting that they would receive $1 or a 5x7 print.  Only 4 people took the dollar!!! But everyone signed the release or I wouldn't shoot them!  In NYC you have to get a permit to do the kind of shoot that I did in public spaces.  For the second day I actually hung up 20x24 prints to show what the results would look like and had a little "show".  I ended up using it for a promotional piece.
If you want to check it out go to my webpage. www.chipmillerphoto.com  "projects"

Oct 19 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

It depends on what the homeless exchange rate is right now....

Now..get back on topic!

Oct 19 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
and $5.00 is never like $50.00.

Yuriy wrote:
...Unless you're in a third world country.

or homeless.

anyhow... if you're going to pay them and they're ok with it, I suspect they'd be happy to sign a release. You could always spend a little $ and ask an attorney too.  That's what I do and it's great peace of mind.

Oct 19 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

GraphiXolutions

Orlando, Florida, US

Okay, my 2 cents and it's probably not going to be popular.  I've never posted here but some of the comments got me "riled up".

First, why would any of you be offended by his comment?  It wasn't directed at who and had virtually nothing to do with you.  It occurs to me that you telling him YOU were offended was being rude to him. He asked for your opinion, not your feelings.

Second, if the guy is like me this is not necessarily what he does for a living.  He does this on the side for one reason or another and works very hard for every penny he makes.  How would you know whether he'd never even miss $20 or not?  I miss every dollar I have to spend.  If he gave $20 to every person on the street that appear in the image the poor guy would become one of them.

Now on the question of the releases........  My understanding after researching this a bit is that images taken in open, public places don't necessarily require a release UNLESS the image is published and an individual's likeness is readily recognizable.

Oct 19 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Devab

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

There was a photog in NYC I believe that has done the same type of project, and did it quite well too. I think I found him/her on pbase.com. It could make for a good book if done well, and told a story behind the images. This photographer actually got to know his subjects and found some very interesting people from all walks of life. It was quite interesting to read, as well as some nicely done photos.

Last time I gave a person in need $5.00, he asked for another dollar! damn ungrateful bastard...

Oct 19 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Ramsay Images

Austin, Texas, US

Thanks Michael,

The topic is "model releases" not the 5 bucks....and I truly appreciate ALL of your input.  I am not rude, and sometimes.....5 bucks seems like 50 to me!  So....back to topic...I agree, a gallery showing is one thing....but if this were to become a book someday...then model releases would cover my butt.  OR....maybe I don't....publish the book....get sued by multiple homeless people, go on the Today show and announce I am giving ALL proceeds of the book to the homeless shelter's here in Austin!  Free publicity....and more proceeds for a very worthy cause!

;-)

Oct 19 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Chip Miller

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ehren Howland wrote:
There was a photog in NYC I believe that has done the same type of project, and did it quite well too. I think I found him/her on pbase.com. It could make for a good book if done well, and told a story behind the images. This photographer actually got to know his subjects and found some very interesting people from all walks of life. It was quite interesting to read, as well as some nicely done photos.

You talking about me?  :-)
http://www.chipmillerphoto.com/go.php?p … olio&gid=3

Oct 19 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

SI Photography wrote:
You really will need a release if you are going to make a profit on this book and showing you mention.

Where do you get this stuff? Profit has nothing to do with the need for releases -- otherwise for-profit publishers like the NY Times and CBS News and all the rest would have to get releases for everything they run (and they don't).

Paul

Oct 19 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

PJQ Photography

I'm not homeless, but $5 to me at this very moment would be like $500!!

Paul

Oct 19 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Ramsay Images

Austin, Texas, US

Chip,

Very cool project!  Love your stuff and a great way to approach this!

Cheers!

Scott

Oct 19 06 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

bang bang photo wrote:

Where do you get this stuff? Profit has nothing to do with the need for releases -- otherwise for-profit publishers like the NY Times and CBS News and all the rest would have to get releases for everything they run (and they don't).

Paul

This is actually a good point. So where is the line drawn for "photojournalistic" shooting on the street? In this case could it be construed as "photojournalistic" or does that term only apply to a news type of publication?

Michael

Oct 19 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Ramsay Images

Austin, Texas, US

That is a great point.  Newspapers and magazines are for sale. When Katrina hit....those folks were photographed and OBVIOUSLY didn't sign releases.  But if you see People Magazine in the grocery store, and the photos compel you to buy....hmmmm.  Intertesting point sir!

Oct 19 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ramucci Studios wrote:
Thanks Michael,

The topic is "model releases" not the 5 bucks....and I truly appreciate ALL of your input.  I am not rude, and sometimes.....5 bucks seems like 50 to me!  So....back to topic...I agree, a gallery showing is one thing....but if this were to become a book someday...then model releases would cover my butt.  OR....maybe I don't....publish the book....get sued by multiple homeless people, go on the Today show and announce I am giving ALL proceeds of the book to the homeless shelter's here in Austin!  Free publicity....and more proceeds for a very worthy cause!

;-)

No your words were $5.00 is like $50.00 in their world which suggests to me that
somehow they inhabit a different world.  To me it was a insulting and dehumanizing
thing to say.  If you plan to give them a few bucks thats nice but then why say
it at all and the added caveat, its like $50.00 in their world.  There are many on this site who lack compassion and caring, please don't join them.

Oct 19 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Ramucci Studios wrote:
That is a great point.  Newspapers and magazines are for sale. When Katrina hit....those folks were photographed and OBVIOUSLY didn't sign releases.  But if you see People Magazine in the grocery store, and the photos compel you to buy....hmmmm.  Intertesting point sir!

One of the key words is "newsworthy" which is different than going out and taking recognizable photos of people and publishing them in a commercial vehicle.  There are a variety of criteria, but simply taking a picture in public does not, in an of itself give you the right to exploit the likeness of another.

Check out Dan Heller's page.  He is a well known author.  He discusses the issue in depth.  Check out both links.

http://www.danheller.com/model-release-primer.html
http://www.danheller.com/model-release.html

Photographers are not the best people to ask about legal issues.  Too much of what you hear is anecdotal.

Oct 19 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

SI Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

bang bang photo wrote:

Paul

News events and personal sale of book are 2 different things. Shooting a news story isn't the same. I work for Getty alot and shooting still of a mom holding her dead baby at a crime scene and ends up in the paper, is news. Image ending up in an ad for gun sales to protect your kids from thugs, is porfit. Just get the release, CYA - Cover Yo Ass!

Oct 19 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Don't be surprised if you review the releases later and find them signed by the likes of Donald Duck; or Bo Selecta. A lot of street people are NOT going to tell you their real name. No way, and for all kinds of reasons. There is also an issue of street people having a higher incidence of mental problems v the general population... some others will be under the influence of drink or drugs or both... so how good is a release signed by someone who might arguably not be of sound mind [or under the influence] or otherwise functioning sufficiently within the real world to understand what they are signing? Not much if it comes to the crunch.

By all means you might seek some legal advice if you see it as a potential problem [I would]... but you might just as well not plan on relying on such releases either.

Studio36

Oct 19 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Michael Kirst wrote:
This is actually a good point. So where is the line drawn for "photojournalistic" shooting on the street? In this case could it be construed as "photojournalistic" or does that term only apply to a news type of publication?

Michael

Yes to the first part [as social documentary] no to the second part [the term is not narrowly limited]

Studio36

THEN

https://faculty.uca.edu/~janes/West/DLange-MigrantMadonna1936.jpg
Migrant Madonna - Lange - 1936

https://mocp.org/collections/permanent/uploads/Lange1985_34.jpg
Untitled - Lange - 1934

AND NOW

https://intervention.org/beverlycalifornia.jpg
Homeless in Beverly [Hills?]

https://intervention.org/kansascityhomelessx.jpg
Homeless in Kansas City

Oct 19 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Can someone tell me why everyone wants to shoot homeless people?

Actually, I'll start another thread.

Oct 19 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Ramsay Images

Austin, Texas, US

Thank you all for the sound advise and very good input...Alan I will read the links...gracias.  I will just say this for the record.  This is my first post on MM...and there are alot of good people on here that actually respond to the questions asked.  I have read so many threads where it immediately turns into a bashing, your morals aren't sound, you are rude, you are ignorant, he said this, she said that....blah blah blah.  I truly thought about not putting up a post for that very reason, but then I thought....why not write a few words about the project....and within minutes...I am being accused of being rude? I was actually laughing because this forum is so predictable!  Then, I write a few words to explain why I said what I said about the 5 freakin bucks line....and still the replies com in talking about what...the one line I wrote that really had nothing to do with my question!  I digress and will refrain from posting anymore...or choose EVERY SINGLE WORD very carefully.  To all that actually responded with great input...I thank you all.

Cheers,

Scott

Oct 19 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

If a person is a "face in the crowd" no release is needed. If you're doing an individual portrait, get a release so you can prove the person was compensated. Also, you can base your compensation on what you plan to do with proceeds from the book. Are you donating to a charity to benefit these people or will the up-front payment be the only help they can get from your project?

Oct 19 06 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

MODELPHX

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ok...all of you...wrong, wrong, wrong.

Street photograhy.  If you have at least three people in a photograph, then you don't need a release to use the photograph commercially.

As an artist, you are allowed to photograph anything you want as long as it does not jepordize national security or invade privacy.  A homeless person has given up their right to privacy if they live on the street.  Courts have ruled that the "homeless" because of their circumstances have no claim to privacy.  So if you want to do an exhibit or create a book which demonstrates your skills as a photographer you are well within your rights to do so.  That's not to say, a relative of the homeless person and their lawyer may take you to court because they disagree.

If you photograph the homeless, then treat them with respect!  If they object, then don't shoot.  If you want to pay them money, then do so and have a witness with you when you pay them and get a release.

You can't however sell any image for commercial purposes, like to an advertiser or Homeless advocate for a poster, without a release.

Go to ASMP.org and search for the law.

Good luck.
Don

Oct 19 06 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

One thing is clear. If you don't get a release, it could be a problem.  So, why not get one?  Seems like a good insurance policy to me.  Also, many publishers will feel the same way.  They like their butts covered too.

Oct 19 06 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Ramsay Images

Austin, Texas, US

Thank you Don.  As I said earlier....I bring the folks warm clothes and food in the wintertime and do care about humans that are less fortunate than others...I respect anyone's right to privacy and would want to speak with almost everyone I photograph to get "the story" behind their misfortune should they want to share it with me.

Thanks again....

Cheers

Oct 19 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

X West Media wrote:
Ok...all of you...wrong, wrong, wrong.

Street photograhy.  If you have at least three people in a photograph, then you don't need a release to use the photograph commercially.

You can't however sell any image for commercial purposes, like to an advertiser or Homeless advocate for a poster, without a release.

Don, you just completely contradicted yourself.  Everyone agrees that you are free to shoot anyone who is in a public place (with certain limitations such as shooting up a skirt).  They indeed have waived portions of their right to privacy, and that applies to the homeless as well.

But your second statement is where you totally contradict yourself.  Just because they have waived at least part of their right to privacy, they have not waived their right to publicity.  Clearly there are many things you can do with the photos, such as hang them in a gallery or illustrate a story in a newspaper about the plight of the homeless without a release.  Your second statement, though, hits the nail on the head.   You can't exploit the images commercially without consent.

There are fine lines to define when it is commercial speech or a protected work of art.  However, if the OP intends to shoot the homeless and then use the photos in a manner which could even be remotely construed as a commercial application, the only safe course of action is to get a release.

A lot of people want to push the envelope.  In most cases you will get away with it, but not in all cases.   

My advice, if you intend to sell or publish images, get a release and then you won't be explaining to a judge why this is a circumstance why a release should not be required (which varies from state to state).

Oct 19 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

MODELPHX

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
But your second statement is where you totally contradict yourself.  Just because they have waived at least part of their right to privacy, they have not waived their right to publicity.

You are absolutely right, but not on the contradiction part.  I forgot about the right to publicity or the right of an individual to control his/her own image. (and I just re-read my book on copyrights, etc.)  Thanks for pointing that out.

I am however right on the "three people in a photograph" rule.  The rights to privacy and publicity then become less restrictive.  ie, 3 homeless men sitting on a park bench.

Oct 19 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

Yes you need a release form...just because they may be homeless doesn't make them less of a person who shares all the same rights we do.  Especially with your intent for a book and a gallery show...a gallery will not even take the show unless it's all produced lawfully.  Be safe...the people are not there because they want to be and they not dumb either.  I also feel that the sum you mentioned is low.  I would start with $25 to $50 for starters.  Also you may want to research all the other photographers who have created for the same concept and perhaps you can ask them how they produced their show.  It never hurts to ask.  Ask a gallery or museum curator and see what they say.  I think searching for answers here will not get you all the pieces...go to the places you wish to work with and ask them.

good luck,
PixelFisher

Oct 19 06 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

X West Media wrote:
I am however right on the "three people in a photograph" rule.  The rights to privacy and publicity then become less restrictive.  ie, 3 homeless men sitting on a park bench.

I am curious about that rule.  Can you show me where you saw it?  I am not saying that it might not be true in some localities, it isn't universal though.  Check out the California statute, for example:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/c … -3346.html

The seminal issues are whether you can identify the individuals and whether it is being used in a commercial context.  That statute is quite explicit.

If you had a picture of ten people and you put it on a poster for a beer, for example, it wouldn't make any difference if there were one person or ten.  If you can identify the subjects, they have a right to control the use of their likeness to endorse a product (or for any commercial application).

Now, I am not suggesting that this is the rule all over the country.   Perhaps you have found a situation where the three person rule applies.  That is why I am asking you to show me where you found it.  I am always interested in learning new things and so if there are places where it is handled differently, I would certainly like to know about it.

Thanks for the comments.

Oct 19 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

MODELPHX

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Alan,

I didn't read the entire CA civil code,but under (photograph) para b. sections 2 and 3, especially #3 pretty much covers what I said, on the street, 3 people is considered a group, where the group is the focus and not just one individual.

This rule was taught to me in Photo Law, 26 years ago in Photograhy school and again when I got my BA in Media production.

Then again, California does like to write some interesting laws.

Also, consider the FEDEX truck on the street, with a crowd of people walking on Law and Order.  That is a product placement and is considered commercial.  Also, when dealing with property releases, you can take a picture of someone's horse or barn, as long as the subjects contribute to the overall effect of the image.  ie. a kentucky landscape and can sell that image commercially without a property release.

But, as I was always taught...get a release if you can, but the minute you ask, expect someone to ask for money.

Oct 19 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

MODELPHX

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Pixel Fisher wrote:
Yes you need a release form...just because they may be homeless doesn't make them less of a person who shares all the same rights we do.  Especially with your intent for a book and a gallery show...a gallery will not even take the show unless it's all produced lawfully.  Be safe...the people are not there because they want to be and they not dumb either.  I also feel that the sum you mentioned is low.  I would start with $25 to $50 for starters.  Also you may want to research all the other photographers who have created for the same concept and perhaps you can ask them how they produced their show.  It never hurts to ask.  Ask a gallery or museum curator and see what they say.  I think searching for answers here will not get you all the pieces...go to the places you wish to work with and ask them.

good luck,
PixelFisher

I don't agree with this statement.  To restrict an artist/photographer from showing his/her work is "censorship" and no law or threat of legal action can circumvant "freedom of speech."

If you offer payment, expect the person to come back later and demand more money, especially if the project is successful and making money.  Homeless people have lawyers too.

It's just best to shoot, copyright your work with the US Copyright office and show your work.  Artists and "freedom of speech" usually win out.

Also, why isn't this project considered "news" or "photojournalism."  Look at the images coming from Iraq and the books that are on the shelf.  When making a statement or commentary about social conditions, you are "reporting" and therefore protected by "freedom of speech"  You don't have to work for a Newpaper to be a photojournalist!!

It's social commentary...pure and simple and you are protected....period!

Oct 19 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

Ramucci Studios wrote:
I want to shoot an expose of homeless people around the city of Austin with the hopes of having a gallery showing... and if all went really well, maybe making a book out of it.  Do I need to get model releases from the people I shoot? I will definately "ask" permission to shoot these folks, and probably give them each $5.00 for letting me take thier picture, which in thier world...is like $50.00!
Scott

I am sitting out on the Drag near 24th right now with a sign that says "Will pose for 5 bux"

Oct 19 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

MODELPHX

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jeff Genung wrote:

I am sitting out on the Drag near 24th right now with a sign that says "Will pose for 5 bux"

Did you say you were "sitting in Drag?" lol ;-)

Oct 19 06 06:01 pm Link