Forums > General Industry > Am I Being Too Cranky?

Photographer

Tied And Taped

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

There's a model I would like to shoot with who has done bondage before.  She was supposed to come to Philly over the summer and we were going to shoot then.  She didn't come and didn't bother to let me know she wasn't coming until after the date of the shoot.  Then a few weeks ago she again said she was coming to Philly.  I tried to set something up with her then and once again, she didn't come to Philly and didn't let me know she wasn't coming until the day of the shoot.  We spoke on the phone that day and set up a future date in December--etched in stone and all.  I get an e-mail from her tonight saying she might not be coming after all because of another gig, can we reschedule?  At first I said okay, but it occurs to me that this is the third shoot she's canceled on me and why the hell should I give her a chance to cancel on me yet again?  I've turned down shoots to work with this model and she's canceled out.  I don't know...should I just tell her to kiss off or what?  If she comes, she'll probably do good on my site, but I'm sick of the cancellation game.   Anyone have any thoughts?

Oct 17 06 07:23 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

screw it. find someone else.

I'm amazed at how long you photographers put up with this crap until you tell these wannabes to piss off!

smile

Oct 17 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

You have got to stop being a horny wimp with no balls....Tell her to f-off and find another model.

If that was a guy you would have! So, whats the difference....Disrespect is Disrespect.

M

Oct 17 06 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Tied And Taped

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
You have got to stop being a horny wimp with no balls....Tell her to f-off and find another model.

If that was a guy you would have! So, whats the difference....Disrespect is Disrespect.

M

First off, screw you with your personal insult.  I am not a horny wimp with no balls.  I just happen to be a relatively patient person--and I'm patient with both sexes in whatever I do.  As I've said before, I do mainstream stuff too and tend to put up with quite a few shennagins from my male actors as well as my females!

Also, one would assume that someone who has done this sort of thing before on other websites would have the professionality to show up.  That's the only reason I've given her more than one chance.  Newbies I'm far less patient with.  And I have plenty of attractive women who want to shoot with me, so it's not that I absolutely NEED to shoot with this person, but I think she'd do well on my site since she's done well elsewhere.

Oct 17 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Mike MacLellan

San Diego, California, US

I can kind of see why she cancelled...  Nothing too noteworthy.

Oct 17 06 07:37 pm Link

Model

Mia Mali

Los Angeles, California, US

Mike MacLellan wrote:
I can kind of see why she cancelled...  Nothing too noteworthy.

It's hard to be rude and say you don't want to work with someone.

Oct 17 06 07:39 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

She booked with you...and now is cancelling with you for another gig. I would, as politely as I can, remind her this is her third time cancelling on you, therefor, there will be no reschedule.

smile Meela

Oct 17 06 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

Tape Her Up wrote:
At first I said okay, but it occurs to me that this is the third shoot she's canceled on me and why the hell should I give her a chance to cancel on me yet again?  I've turned down shoots to work with this model and she's canceled out.  I don't know...should I just tell her to kiss off or what?

In the studio, I've always ( for 20 years ) had a 3 cancel policy, these were clients paying me mind you, 3rd cancel, they don't get another chance, I don't care who they are smile

Oct 17 06 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Monkey Joe Studios

Kansas City, Kansas, US

There are times when schedules clash and things don't turn out as planned. It happens. But 3 flake no shows? I wouldn't have set myself up for the 2nd one. It comes down to professionalism and respect. Now with that said, I have to agree with Mike. Those shots look like they were lit with the table lamp in the hotel room. They almost have a GWC flare to them. I'm not trying to be rude mind you. This is from an artist to an artist. Step up your look. Keep in mind lighting and composition. I've seen incredible bondage photography that was just gorgeous. Work on your craft and don't let anyone run you around.

Matt

Oct 17 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Tied And Taped

Note:  I am not looking for nor do I care for attacks on my port.  I asked a specific question regarding a specific situation.  Those of you who have had the good manners to keep attacks on my port out of your answers, I thank.  Those of you who do not have the same manners can go suck eggs.

Oct 17 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Monkey Joe Studios

Kansas City, Kansas, US

I'm not going to give you the grandma critique. If you want to be overly praised then get your mother's opinion. The answer to your question is that you are being screwed with. Tell the model to piss off and find another.

Matt

Oct 17 06 08:18 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Meela wrote:
She booked with you...and now is cancelling with you for another gig. I would, as politely as I can, remind her this is her third time cancelling on you, therefor, there will be no reschedule.

smile Meela

Sounds about right to me.

Oct 17 06 08:20 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Meela wrote:

smile Meela

Sanity does prevale... how nice!
Thats exactly what you need to do, and then simply stick to it.

Its always a really big disappointment when someone doesn't follow through with their obligation. Believe me, that happens to models too sad

Best of luck.

Oct 17 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

TheLoftStudios

Houston, Texas, US

ONE WORD.....

.....$DEPOSIT$

Oct 17 06 08:29 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

As the song goes...

"One, two, three strikes you're out...."

Yep. I think I've made my opinion pretty clear. wink

Oct 17 06 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Just Shoot Me Photograp

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Maybe she thinks your so call work suck.i know i do.

Oct 17 06 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

One strike is generally enough for me. Only one model has ever made it back into my good graces after two flakes. And it took her three years of trying.

But I've found that the content of a portfolio DOES have an impact on the people you get to work with you. Frankly, I didn't even go to look at your stuff, so this is NOT a critique, merely a general observation that you might want to consider.

Models do prioritize their shoots, for better or ill, according to the money they stand a chance to make AND the impact the photos will have on their future shoots. Sometimes they'll shoot with somebody who's just plain nice, but that is less and less the case these days.

So, the more skills you possess in your given genre, the more models you'll attract. In fact, a lot of them will seek out people who are really good at something they lack in their portfolio. And you might not have to pay at all if you get really, really good with the tape.

Just a thought.

As for the three strike lady, I'd say she's history, no matter which direction you look at it.

Oct 17 06 08:43 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Just Shoot Me Photograp wrote:

Heavens to Betsy! Nothing says loving like.....

ah what the hell? Regardless of how good or bad his photography is or isn't, the girl should just be up front and honest. Why waste time that could be better spent making pancakes or fizzy lifting drinks?

Oct 17 06 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tied And Taped

Just Shoot Me Photograp wrote:

My work is apparently at least on a level with your grammar.

Oct 17 06 09:10 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Damn, the OP can't even ask you guys a question without you being nasty and insulting his work???  Having his work critiqued wasn't his intention with this thread, or else he would've posted in the critique forum, which is where you should take your lil' remarks.

Oct 17 06 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Tied And Taped

Twisted Studios wrote:
I'm not going to give you the grandma critique. If you want to be overly praised then get your mother's opinion.
Matt

I neither asked for praise or criticism.  I asked about a specific situation involving a specific model.  If I wanted a critique of my port, I would have gone to the Critique section.  I didn't, so any and all comments on my port have nothing to do with what I'm talking about.  The model in question has shot bondage before and has as many shots that are about on par with my work, which means your comments on my work are just plain an example of rudeness.

Oct 18 06 04:44 am Link

Photographer

Just Shoot Me Photograp

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Maybe she thought you was a creepy GWC and a roll of tape.

Oct 18 06 04:49 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

M

Exactly! Guys rule!

Oct 18 06 04:51 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

Is there any reason why some of you went of the rails and started posting unwanted critiques and being just nasty?  If it is your opnion that she blew him off because his work wasn't of a standard that she was happy collaborating with, say it niceley.  It is amazing how big your balls grow when you know there is no chance of being called on to "put up or shut up".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl … 059726.stm

follow that link and realise that it isn't as safe as you think to act tough

Oct 18 06 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Meela wrote:

smile Meela

Thank You for this voice of sanity Meela. For the OP, as one who has been in the exact same situation as you are (booked with a model 3 times, 3 times she cancelled, finally said 'Hey, I want to do these shots, but they need to be done today" I would not reschedule with her unless she paid me a deposit to guarantee she'll be there.

Oct 18 06 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Let her go and find some others... they're out there.  Besides, if you're scheduling a lady who is new to modeling, you might find a new star model.  The next Isobel Wren or Samantha Lynn is out there...

Oct 18 06 06:09 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
screw it. find someone else.

I'm amazed at how long you photographers put up with this crap until you tell these wannabes to piss off!

smile

I agree!  My rule: one strike, you're out.  Chasing a "model" after she has stiffed you is unwise, to say the least.

Oct 18 06 07:58 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Some people are assholes on this site. The OP shoots damsel in distress images...in the style that sells on damsel in distress websites.  The style is what it is...if you don't like it then leave him be.  Alot of people don't like cheesy glamour images...bondage images...nudes...fashion images...but ya know what, we're all on this site...all types.  So, answer the question and move on peeps.  Gees...

Oh, and in answer to the original question, don't work with that model again...she's a flake.

Oct 18 06 08:05 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tape Her Up wrote:
There's a model I would like to shoot with who has done bondage before.  She was supposed to come to Philly over the summer and we were going to shoot then.  She didn't come and didn't bother to let me know she wasn't coming until after the date of the shoot.  Then a few weeks ago she again said she was coming to Philly.  I tried to set something up with her then and once again, she didn't come to Philly and didn't let me know she wasn't coming until the day of the shoot.  We spoke on the phone that day and set up a future date in December--etched in stone and all.  I get an e-mail from her tonight saying she might not be coming after all because of another gig, can we reschedule?  At first I said okay, but it occurs to me that this is the third shoot she's canceled on me and why the hell should I give her a chance to cancel on me yet again?  I've turned down shoots to work with this model and she's canceled out.  I don't know...should I just tell her to kiss off or what?  If she comes, she'll probably do good on my site, but I'm sick of the cancellation game.   Anyone have any thoughts?

Third time she cancelled ? I would have given up after the first one.

Oct 18 06 08:06 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Stevens Photography wrote:

I agree!  My rule: one strike, you're out.  Chasing a "model" after she has stiffed you is unwise, to say the least.

Exactly. Well said. smile

Oct 18 06 08:07 am Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

Wow...Stevens.....one strike.....what if she had a good reason?? I had to cancel on a photog once...(man did I feel bad about it too...cause he was driving down from up North)....It was something I couldn't help though....I was telling the man I'm sooo sorry for like a month after the fact. My reason...I was going through a really nasty divorce at the time and was summoned to court. I had no choice but to have to cancel.

As to everone else.....thanks for calling me sane.....lol...some days I feel like I have lost touch with reality.

smile Meela

Oct 18 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

Tape Her Up wrote:
If she comes, she'll probably do good on my site, but I'm sick of the cancellation game.   Anyone have any thoughts?

are you paying her?  is she paying you?  is your december so full that this will make a difference?

as for your question; Am I Being Too Cranky?  i wouldn't call it that.  i would say you aren't offering this model enough in either pay or portfolio return that would put you ahead of other projects placed in front of her.  your dismay wouldn't make you cranky, it would make you unaware of cause and effect. 

--face reality

Oct 18 06 08:19 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

Meela wrote:
Wow...Stevens.....one strike.....what if she had a good reason?? I had to cancel on a photog once...(man did I feel bad about it too...cause he was driving down from up North)....It was something I couldn't help though....I was telling the man I'm sooo sorry for like a month after the fact. My reason...I was going through a really nasty divorce at the time and was summoned to court. I had no choice but to have to cancel.

As to everone else.....thanks for calling me sane.....lol...some days I feel like I have lost touch with reality.

smile Meela

There are rare exceptions, but they are so rare that I don't even bother, as I've never, ever had a "model" that stiffed me turn out to be dependable.  Also, every flake "model" that has ever gotten back to me has had "good" reasons for stiffing me.  Photogrpahers who have been around a while have heard just about every "good reason" (translate: excuses--some more lame than others).  Your particular situation may have been very legitimate, but you also don't say how much advance notice you gave the photographer.  If a model gives me adequate advance notice on a cancellation, I am open to the possibility of rescheduling--once!

Oct 18 06 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

gdsandy wrote:
Is there any reason why some of you went of the rails and started posting unwanted critiques and being just nasty?  If it is your opnion that she blew him off because his work wasn't of a standard that she was happy collaborating with, say it niceley.  It is amazing how big your balls grow when you know there is no chance of being called on to "put up or shut up".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl … 059726.stm

follow that link and realise that it isn't as safe as you think to act tough

I make it a point to say nothing online about a person I would not say to their face.  If someone unstable over-reacts and comes looking for me to do me harm they can come, and if they wish they can bring a friend, or five friends.

I have a small gift for each of them.

That said, the model in question might enjoy screwing with a guy like the OP (without of course the slightest intention of EVER shooting with him) just to watch him do a slow burn and see how long he'll take it and still beg for more.

Oct 18 06 08:22 am Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

Stevens Photography wrote:

There are rare exceptions, but they are so rare that I don't even bother, as I've never, ever had a "model" that stiffed me turn out to be dependable.  Also, every flake "model" that has ever gotten back to me has had "good" reasons for stiffing me.  Photogrpahers who have been around a while have heard just about every "good reason" (translate: excuses--some more lame than others).  Your particular situation may have been very legitimate, but you also don't say how much advance notice you gave the photographer.  If a model gives me adequate advance notice on a cancellation, I am open to the possibility of rescheduling--once!

I notified him roughly 2 weeks in advance....he had other models he was shooting ass well. I told him if I would travel to him to shoot the next time we schedule a shoot. I would not feel right if he drove back down here again.

smile Meela

Oct 18 06 09:34 am Link

Photographer

K Lara

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

Tape Her Up wrote:
Note:  I am not looking for nor do I care for attacks on my port.  I asked a specific question regarding a specific situation.  Those of you who have had the good manners to keep attacks on my port out of your answers, I thank.  Those of you who do not have the same manners can go suck eggs.

Well...the quality of your work probably has something to do with it I'm sorry to say. It's your work...if you're proud of it that's great, and screw what anyone else thinks, BUT if you want models to put you at the top of their list of priorities, you have to start worrying what other people think of your work. I would NEVER cancel on someone like that, but I'm sure if I weren't as respectful, I would cancel on the people whose work I wasn't as impressed with (or if I were interested in money, someone who was willing to pay more) in favor of shoots that I thought would be more beneficial to me. Don't put up with 3 cancellations, but also...realize that until you make your work more appealing to your models, cancellations like that are going to happen. Models suck sometimes...not saying it's right...but it happens.

Oct 18 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Saryn Angel

Honestly - if she flaked without any contact - a no show - then I wouldn't work with her again.

However, I always give people the benefit of the doubt - As long as they are up front and let me know before the shoot that they can't make it. smile

I'd say move on.  There will be other models who will be as good or better for what you are looking for. You gave her a fair chance. More than a lot would have.

Oct 18 06 09:41 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

Seeing that your into the bondage genre... if she called you before your shoot with her, and she told you she couldn't make it... she was "tied up"... how would you take that???

Oct 18 06 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Saryn Angel

K Lara wrote:

Well...the quality of your work probably has something to do with it I'm sorry to say. It's your work...if you're proud of it that's great, and screw what anyone else thinks, BUT if you want models to put you at the top of their list of priorities, you have to start worrying what other people think of your work. I would NEVER cancel on someone like that, but I'm sure if I weren't as respectful, I would cancel on the people whose work I wasn't as impressed with in favor of shoots that I thought would be more beneficial to me. Don't put up with 3 cancellations, but also...realize that until you make your work more appealing to your models, cancellations like that are going to happen. Models suck sometimes...not saying it's right...but it happens.

Why would anyone agree to model for someone who's work they don't find appealing? It doesn't make sense... Just say no in the beginning?  Why cancel?

Oct 18 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

North Pole Photography

Meela wrote:

I notified him roughly 2 weeks in advance....he had other models he was shooting ass well. I told him if I would travel to him to shoot the next time we schedule a shoot. I would not feel right if he drove back down here again.

smile Meela

That's no problem, Meela.  Two weeks notice is not at all the same as no-show, no-call or last minute cancellation.  However, a second cancellation, even with plenty of time, tends to tell me the model isn't all that interested.

He shoots ass well, eh?  smile

Oct 18 06 09:45 am Link