Forums > General Industry > Does The Camera Really add 10 lbs?

Model

io

New York, New York, US

I swear, sometimes I look at images of myself and KNOW I look larger in many (though not all) of them than I really am, or so I think.  In your experience, does the camera really add 10 lbs?  Is it because you are flattened or what?

Aug 15 05 01:34 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I KNOW the camera adds weight for me... I am really really skinny but sometimes my legs look like they are heavier than normal... but it's good for me!

Aug 15 05 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

One of the girls I've worked with, I doubt anyone would be able to take her photos and spot her out of a line up.  In person, she looks so very tiny.  But my photos of her do seem to ad a little bit to her.  Most of the time, I feel the girls look like their pictures.  But your question made me think of her specifically because she does look "bigger" than real life.

Aug 15 05 01:39 pm Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

From personal experience, I've never had a photo make me look much heavier, but I've found that some definitely accentuate curves, especially muscles, which could lead to that effect.

Aug 15 05 01:47 pm Link

Model

Kemara

Tavares, Florida, US

In my opinion, its all how the model poses. Some of mine look like I'm skinnier, but some looks heavier.

Aug 15 05 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I think that it has a lot to do with the camera angle.

I shoot often girls were the body is errr... softer... and I get them from angles that makes them look slimmer, taller, tighter and so forth.

Usually when I show them the photo right after taking them... I can hear so often some delighted scream... LOL (I luv'it!)

No need for photoshop (meaning image editing program in general) to make anything longer etc.

Aug 15 05 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Yamasaki

Orange, California, US

Kemara wrote:
In my opinion, its all how the model poses. Some of mine look like I'm skinnier, but some looks heavier.

That's a big part of it. It's also VERY dependent upon whomever is behind the camera. In the wrong hands, a camera can make any subject look heavier, shorter, or any other unflattering adjective. Lighting, posing, lens choices, relative positions, etc. can work for you. Or against you.

Aug 15 05 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

nyx wrote:
From personal experience, I've never had a photo make me look much heavier, but I've found that some definitely accentuate curves, especially muscles, which could lead to that effect.

What you said is probably a much better description of what I see with the model I mentioned (Christine for those that want to check).  Her curves are more accentuated rather than her looking bigger.  She's very tiny and even for my camera, she's still very slim.  5'5" and 102 lbs.

Aug 15 05 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

It has a lot to do with the focal length and the focal point that the model is shot with. When shot correctly (which is subjective) it doesn't add or take anything away so I would have to say no.

Aug 15 05 02:59 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Yes, the camera adds 10 pounds, but photo shop takes 10 pounds away so it really all evens out in the end;-)

Aug 15 05 03:02 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Sometimes I've also wondered if it depends on the camera as well, if some are more prone to distorting the images.  I've had shots taken on the same day but w/different cameras and in a set taken w/one of the cameras I will look distinctly smaller.  Thanks for the feedback!smile

Aug 15 05 03:22 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Peter Yamasaki wrote:

That's a big part of it. It's also VERY dependent upon whomever is behind the camera. In the wrong hands, a camera can make any subject look heavier, shorter, or any other unflattering adjective. Lighting, posing, lens choices, relative positions, etc. can work for you. Or against you.

well said

i'd say the camera adds 10 pounds and the video camera adds 20 wink

Aug 15 05 03:25 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Peter Yamasaki wrote:

well said

i'd say the camera adds 10 pounds and the video camera adds 20... models who look "fashion perfect" on screen look like a refugee victim in person

Aug 15 05 03:27 pm Link

Model

Jordan

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I think it does add 10lbs... maybe more in some.... which sucks. sad
~Jordan

Aug 15 05 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

io wrote:
Sometimes I've also wondered if it depends on the camera as well, if some are more prone to distorting the images.  I've had shots taken on the same day but w/different cameras and in a set taken w/one of the cameras I will look distinctly smaller.  Thanks for the feedback!smile

Now that I've thought about it more, I've also been told focal length can play a part as wide angle focal lengths can have some distortion which may make someone appear wider than they are.

Aug 15 05 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

The appearance of added weight is the result of "foreshortening" ... one of the reasons many photographers use mild telephoto for portraits (among other things).

Aug 15 05 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

My Mamiya c330 with tripod is at least 10 pounds...so yeah...that's about right! wink

Aug 15 05 04:16 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Except for groupw's Mamiya c330 with tripod, not, the camera does not add ten pounds.

Unflattering poses and angles can add ten pounds. Or subtract ten pounds.

Aug 15 05 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Delete This

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Combine an inexperienced model with an inexperienced photographer and you can get all sorts of undesirable results.  The camera, however, is innocent.

Aug 15 05 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Downers Grove, Illinois, US

io wrote:
I swear, sometimes I look at images of myself and KNOW I look larger in many (though not all) of them than I really am, or so I think.  In your experience, does the camera really add 10 lbs?  Is it because you are flattened or what?

It's been my experience that the models that bitch about the camera putting weight on them just didn't realize that they were carrying around that extra 10 or 20 lbs until they saw the pix.

Aug 15 05 06:09 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Belair wrote:

It's been my experience that the models that bitch about the camera putting weight on them just didn't realize that they were carrying around that extra 10 or 20 lbs until they saw the pix.

Rest-assured, I know I don't gain 10-20lbs from camera to camera in the course of an evening.  What caused me to question this is NOT any extra weight I've noticed in my pro shoots, but the fact that at a recent event where I was very heavily photographed there are some photos that make me look larger than 120lbs, and some which make me look just right.  I noticed this even if the image was taken at the same angle and distance, it just seems to vary w/each camera.  People who saw the "larger" images even commented that they made me look heavier.  My skin is also very white so any light is reflected off it and it drowns out the shadows...I think that may have something to do with it as well in photos that rely on flash.

Aug 15 05 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

Its the focal lenghth and the angle as mentioned above.

Aug 15 05 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Downers Grove, Illinois, US

io wrote:

Rest-assured, I know I don't gain 10-20lbs from camera to camera in the course of an evening.  What caused me to question this is NOT any extra weight I've noticed in my pro shoots, but the fact that at a recent event where I was very heavily photographed there are some photos that make me look larger than 120lbs, and some which make me look just right.  I noticed this even if the image was taken at the same angle and distance, it just seems to vary w/each camera.  People who saw the "larger" images even commented that they made me look heavier.  My skin is also very white so any light is reflected off it and it drowns out the shadows...I think that may have something to do with it as well in photos that rely on flash.

I wasn't commenting on you, per se.  Actually, your size is very satisfactory.

Aug 15 05 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

esherman

Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts, US

Yup. When you see something in three dimensions, you see around it to perceive the depth. The camera takes the three dimensional object, creates a two dimensional representation, and, to boot, has a much smaller ability to differentiate shades and colors. So the picture flattens what you have out. Correct lighting and angles will help reduce the effect.

Aug 15 05 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Correct lighting and angles will help reduce the effect.

Photoshop liquify filter does it better.

I see a lot of images that have been stretched vertically or horizontally, or where the model has been liquify'd front to back or whatever. It's kinda scary 'cuz I can't like tell the difference unless I get a chance to see the model in person and I'm like "yuk! this girl is covered in tattoos and weighs 30lbs more than she looks like"!

The camera adds 10 lbs, photoshop liquify takes off 20, so the net loss is -10lbs. Girls you'll look THINNER but with bigger boobies by the time the shoot is over!

GWC!

Aug 15 05 08:08 pm Link

Model

Aurora

Dallas, Georgia, US

Depends on the lighting, setting, outfit and photographer! I've had photoshoots in the same weekend and one set turn out looking almost skinny and the other set looking bloated. Blech! Funny enough, the GOOD set was shot in a bedroom with a plainer camera, and the bloated set was in studio with the works. Says a lot about what a great photograher can do for you.

Aug 15 05 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

io wrote:
at a recent event where I was very heavily photographed there are some photos that make me look larger than 120lbs,

There you go... no wonder you've gained the weight during that ONE photosession... you were "very heavily" photographed as you say yourself... not wonder... ;-)

Sorry... just feeling silly...

Aug 15 05 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Udo R Photography wrote:

There you go... no wonder you've gained the weight during that ONE photosession... you were "very heavily" photographed as you say yourself... not wonder... ;-)

Sorry... just feeling silly...

Is this why you'd rather only take 20 photos? tongue

Aug 15 05 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

io wrote:
I swear, sometimes I look at images of myself and KNOW I look larger in many (though not all) of them than I really am, or so I think.

When do you girls NOT think you look fat?

Seriously you could look like Cindy Crawford (circa 1990) & still ask us if you look fat in that dress.

* ducks to avoid thrown sharp object, headed in my direction *

Aug 15 05 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Is this why you'd rather only take 20 photos? tongue

LMAO...

Nice!

Actually... the 17/20 situation with me is a ratio... ;-)

Well done Brian... well done... lol

Aug 15 05 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Farenell Photography wrote:

Seriously you could look like Cindy Crawford (circa 1990) & still ask us if you look fat in that dress.

Actually... you are right and nobody should throw anything at you...   %&#&$ OUCH!!!!!!! *holding back of my head, looking around* where the hell did THIS come from... &$^#$$##

:-(

Aug 15 05 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

it depends on the angle of the camera and the pose of the model

Aug 15 05 08:46 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

it depends on the angle of the camera and the pose of the model

Exactly.

Aug 16 05 12:15 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Farenell Photography wrote:

I happen to think I look too skinny most of the time. Other people have agreed with me that most of my pictures make me look heavier, whatever the pose or the outfit. But even so, I'm sure it is a combination of the two if not one thing.

Aug 16 05 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Matter Zone

Austin, Texas, US

Lora wrote:
Other people have agreed with me that most of my pictures make me look heavier, whatever the pose or the outfit. But even so, I'm sure it is a combination of the two if not one thing.

It has to do with the focal length of the lens and the angle at which the photo was taken. Because the glass in lenses is curved, a lens will always distort reality to some degree. That's why a lot of fashion photography is done with a short telephoto lens - there is less curvature, thus, the product being shown looks more true to life.

In the case of glamour photography, the photographer needs to consider the proportions of the model; whether she has a long torso or long legs, relative to each other. In Lora's case, she is short and has a long torso. Most photographers are going to be taller than she is. If Lora is shot from above, her torso is going to be closer to the camera and look larger. Hence, she will look heavier, overall. But if the photographer shoots from slightly below center, Lora's legs look longer and her overall figure appears more ideal.

Here's an example of Lora shot from slightly below center:

https://modelmayhem.com/pics/20050816/3/43024426aaa46.jpg

Aug 16 05 03:12 pm Link

Model

Lindsay Jolly

Toronto, Iowa, US

Dark Matter Zone wrote:

It has to do with the focal length of the lens and the angle at which the photo was taken. Because the glass in lenses is curved, a lens will always distort reality to some degree. That's why a lot of fashion photography is done with a short telephoto lens - there is less curvature, thus, the product being shown looks more true to life.

In the case of glamour photography, the photographer needs to consider the proportions of the model; whether she has a long torso or long legs, relative to each other. In Lora's case, she is short and has a long torso. Most photographers are going to be taller than she is. If Lora is shot from above, her torso is going to be closer to the camera and look larger. Hence, she will look heavier, overall. But if the photographer shoots from slightly below center, Lora's legs look longer and her overall figure appears more ideal.

Wow - Can I work with you now?!? So glad to see that some photographers still think about each specific models figure and it hasn't become a standard shoot for every model.

Aug 16 05 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Matter Zone

Austin, Texas, US

Lindsay Jolly wrote:
Wow - Can I work with you now?!?

Any time, Lindsay!

Aug 16 05 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

of course a camera doesn't add weight... there is no logical reason to believe that at all.

if certain camera angles were used, the model could look skinnier or fatter... but it is not because of the camera but the angle that was used.

Aug 16 05 03:39 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

You know, it's not the camera that puts weight on me...but the food that I like to eat....LOL

Aug 16 05 03:44 pm Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

depends...usually i think i look thinner in photos

Aug 16 05 04:03 pm Link