Forums > General Industry > Does The Camera Really add 10 lbs?

Photographer

Freelancer

Kingwood, West Virginia, US

io wrote:
I swear, sometimes I look at images of myself and KNOW I look larger in many (though not all) of them than I really am, or so I think.  In your experience, does the camera really add 10 lbs?  Is it because you are flattened or what?

Yes. I wondered about that myself until I saw pics of a model here who is 5'8" 115lbs. She looked the same size in her pics as my friend who is also 5'8" but ways 125lbs. But I'm not sure why it happens.

Aug 16 05 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Kingwood, West Virginia, US

Of course camera angles, focal length, lighting, can contribute to it. But I suspect there is some other reason since agencies only seem to want the very thin girls for most shoots.

Aug 16 05 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

Freelancer wrote:
Of course camera angles, focal length, lighting, can contribute to it. But I suspect there is some other reason since agencies only seem to want the very thin girls for most shoots.

yeah, if they're really slender maybe it suggests they're serious about modelling cuz they're willing to suffer a bit to achieve the look.
i don't think it necessarily correlates like that, but it seems like many a fem with a few webcam shots is calling herself a model, an experienced one even sometimes. everybodys a model, & everybodys a photog.
i guess its like the bachelors degree for regular jobs. of course its irrelevant criteria to the tasks but it helps personnel winnow the applications from thousands to hundreds or less.
for me personally, i simply prefer slender looks to full even outside photography context, but i have no explanation to offer why.

Aug 17 05 01:49 am Link