Forums > General Industry > Model making hand "gang signs" in images

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

One model I shot with flashed what looked like 1960's peace signs to this 47 year-old. I am sure they were probably some type of gang symbols. I have seen others do it in some of their portfolio images.

Is this something I should worry about, or is it just trendy? Could others that see the images possibly be offended?

Oct 14 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

I'm sure SOMEBODY thinks this is hot... *rolling eyes*

Oct 14 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Yeah, all the guys in nightclubs I photograph.

Oct 14 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

shaking my head, its kinda like the face shrapnel, trendy but bs.

Oct 14 06 07:40 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Maybe it was the rock 'n' roll "horns".

Or maybe it was the shocker. lol

Oct 14 06 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

e-string wrote:
Maybe it was the rock 'n' roll "horns".

https://redawg.myweb.uga.edu/images/coolspidey.jpg

I knew there was a reason why Spiderman was cool.

Oct 14 06 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

rp_photo wrote:
One model I shot with flashed what looked like 1960's peace signs to this 47 year-old. I am sure they were probably some type of gang symbols. I have seen others do it in some of their portfolio images.

Is this something I should worry about, or is it just trendy? Could others that see the images possibly be offended?

Yeah , what happens if you have a multi model shoot with girls from  the East Side, the  West Side , the North Side , and  the South SIde ( and maybe even the Wrong Side ) and they all start flashing their signs ...Could be trouble !

Oct 14 06 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

It's simple - let them know you don't put up with that bullshit.

Once = Warning
Twice =  Bye Bye

Oct 14 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

rp_photo wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it. The "Peace" sign has been around a lot longer than the 60's & can be used in different connonations. Churchill used it to mean "Victory."

https://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38358000/jpg/_38358057_churchill_victory.jpg

Oct 14 06 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Dudley Watson

Roseburg, Oregon, US

rp_photo wrote:

Er, who is in charge here?  You or the model?  Simply ask her "What are you doing?"
If you don't like it, tell her!  Let her know if she keeps it up, she is wasting your time, and stop the session.  Give her only photos that are not "hand signed".  If she never works with you again, what have you lost?

Oct 14 06 08:29 pm Link

Model

mariecherie

New York, New York, US

i think your a bit paranoid!!! let me guess after she threw up her signs there was a drive by??? LOL!! are u serious????

Oct 14 06 08:30 pm Link

Model

mariecherie

New York, New York, US

i think your a bit paranoid!!! let me guess after she threw up her signs there was a drive by??? LOL!! are u serious????

Oct 14 06 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

OK, I give up. Why was the model doing something the photographer didn't direct her to do? Was the model of the photographer in charge of the shoot? Unless a model is paying me, then there wil be no 'gang signs' unless I direct them.

Oct 14 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

And then that dreaded gangsta lip pucker comes in... .LOL....oh they look dumb! LOL!

Oct 14 06 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Abel Photography

Newburgh, New York, US

being a cop and a photographer I do not know of the peace sign as being any gang sign.

Oct 14 06 09:16 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Ah yes, another weird fad............kinda like the caution tape lol.

Oct 14 06 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Oh, for Crom's sake.. your model is not in a gang with a 47 year-old. Why didn't you just ASK her about it? It was a peace sign, or the finger, or L-for-Loser, or read-between-the-lines or some local variant her friends made up with her that nobody else knows. She waved it at the old guy because she felt he was staring at her while she was trying to model. It was the "fuck off, you're too old to look at me that way" response most teenage girls give to older ("ugly") guys they think are checking them out.
That's all:-)

Oct 14 06 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Doug Lester wrote:
OK, I give up. Why was the model doing something the photographer didn't direct her to do? Was the model of the photographer in charge of the shoot? Unless a model is paying me, then there wil be no 'gang signs' unless I direct them.

You know, I was wondering about this....and maybe it's just that I'm a control freak, or maybe I'm old school without having gone to school, but do people just throw models in front of their camera and just say "hit it baby?" and whatever comes out is just a matter of luck?

Oct 14 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

rp_photo wrote:

and you shot this model why?

Oct 14 06 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Donovan

Chicago, Illinois, US

Peace sign: Index and middle finger
[Promotes peace] (Popular among the world)

Shocker: Thumb, Index, middle, and pinky finger extended
[Promotes two in the pink, one in the stink] (popular among sexually liberated youth)

The Bird: Middle finger *occasionaly the thumb is extended, sometimes retracted

SUFI: Middle finger and ring finger
[Super Fuck you] (Popular among Dane Cook Fans)

West Side: Pinky, middle and ring finger intertwined, index finger extended with fingers point toward the sky
[Was once a gang sign, now it denotes the place you call home](Popular among Californians, Washingtonians, Oregonians, and occasioanl Arizona and Idaho peeps)

East Side: Same as West Side, but with right hand pointed at the chest
[Similar to the West Side, but make sthe people on the East side much happier](Popular amonth New England people)

The MidWest: Two hands are used. Both use the West Coast symbol, but the bottim hand reches up and the middle points down
[Represents people from the MidWest, or MidCoast as some people refer to](Oddly, Yuppies use this a lot when we're having our chicken verde with bacon wrapped shrimp and drinking some Union Cherry)

The Trekkie: Pinky and ring touching and spread away from teh index and middle finger which are connected
[Live Longe and Prosper](Popular among trekkies)

Thumbs  up.... do I have to explain?!

ANyway, I doubt they were throwing signs. We have gangs in Chicago, but they really are not looking to pay to have their pictures taken... in fact they tend to shy away from cameras!!!

Oct 14 06 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

okay, am I the only one who started trying some of those out while reading the above post?

Oct 14 06 11:31 pm Link

Model

JazzyBelle

Greenville, South Carolina, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

You know, I was wondering about this....and maybe it's just that I'm a control freak, or maybe I'm old school without having gone to school, but do people just throw models in front of their camera and just say "hit it baby?" and whatever comes out is just a matter of luck?

I wouldn't ever do gang signs...(I don't think that's attractive)...but, yes...every photographer I've worked with (unless they needed to do a shot twice or specifically had something they were looking for) told me to free style it...I like being posed (sometimes) because it lets me know the photographer knows or is getting what he is looking for...but I also like photographers that don't mind the 'freestyle' thing...kinda lets me know they trust my creativity...

Oct 14 06 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

rp_photo wrote:

You have GOT to be kidding....
Why woul dyou automatically ASSUME that it was a gang sign?

If she was doing whatever to the 47yr old.. It definitely was not a gang sign.  If what she did resembled the Peace sign,   then what she was probably doing  was "speaking" to the person, by what is termed as "shooting the deuces" or "two fingers, swinging"...Harmless...

NOW my question to you is, What ethnicity was this model, the reason you thought what you did? and should WE be worried about you????

Oct 14 06 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

MinkyBlink

Los Angeles, California, US

On a TFP I don't care if they pick their nose or scratch their arse, its all about expression and after all 'art is so subjective'.

Oct 15 06 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Minkyblink wrote:
On a TFP I don't care if they pick their nose or scratch their arse, its all about expression and after all 'art is so subjective'.

what a wry sense of humour you have.

Oct 15 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

rp_photo wrote:

By the way, those sorts of people, unless they are hearing impaired, are referred to as booger flickers.

Oct 15 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Why?

Oct 15 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Reverend D-Ray

Richmond, Virginia, US

Miles Chandler wrote:
okay, am I the only one who started trying some of those out while reading the above post?

Nope.

But seriously, I doubt from what you say it was a gang sign. And my question is.....Did she do it a lot of pictures or just one? I see models do silly stuff like that and it never crosses my mind. If it fits the shoot, great, if it doesn't I just don't print it. Holy cow what a simple idea. I guess with a simple mind comes simple ideas.

Oct 15 06 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Look there goes a chicken!!-?

Oct 15 06 08:02 am Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

rp_photo wrote:

Maybe you are talking about the "Shocker" hand gesture !!! -)

It looks like the Peace Sign but it is different and with a whole different message.

M

Oct 15 06 08:04 am Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Peace up A-town down.
https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e247/xoxoadrienne22/havana_sm.jpg

Oct 15 06 08:19 am Link

Photographer

wishingtree photography

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:
Peace up A-town down.
https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e247/xoxoadrienne22/havana_sm.jpg

hey this is giving me ideas for poses....

Oct 15 06 08:32 am Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

wishingtreephotography wrote:

hey this is giving me ideas for poses....

Welcome to the gun show baby.

Oct 15 06 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Wayne M Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

rp_photo wrote:

Okay maybe I'm reading too much into this post. But I have a few questions.
1. How do you know the recipient of the peace sign was 47 years old? Did he come up and show you I.D.

Okay I only had that question but I read this post with the proverbial "Tongue in cheek" basically I thought the post was to be humorous. Maybe I read wrong. But if the OP is serious then again I question how he knew the age of the person?

Oct 15 06 09:00 am Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

With the palm out, it's a peace or victory sign, with the back of the hand out, the US is the only place in the world where it's not considered the same as flipping the bird.

Oct 15 06 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Miles Chandler wrote:

Nope. smile

Oct 15 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Wayne M. wrote:
Okay I only had that question but I read this post with the proverbial "Tongue in cheek" basically I thought the post was to be humorous. Maybe I read wrong. But if the OP is serious then again I question how he knew the age of the person?

One model I shot with flashed what looked like 1960's peace signs to this 47 year-old.

The OP was referring to himself. I'm presuming he knows how old he is.

Oct 15 06 10:55 am Link

Model

mariecherie

New York, New York, US

hey to settle the whole gang sign issue POST THE DAMN picture!!!!!  i know plenty gang members being that i grew up in the inner city and what u are describing doesn't sound like a gang sign. so please do us a big facor and put up the pic. i'll definitely let u know what SET she's claiming(gang talk!!! lol!).

Oct 15 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Garry k wrote:

Yeah , what happens if you have a multi model shoot with girls from  the East Side, the  West Side , the North Side , and  the South SIde ( and maybe even the Wrong Side ) and they all start flashing their signs ...Could be trouble !

But never let the ones from the good side come to the shoot...smile

Oct 15 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

Michael Donovan wrote:
Peace sign: Index and middle finger
[Promotes peace] (Popular among the world)

Shocker: Thumb, Index, middle, and pinky finger extended
[Promotes two in the pink, one in the stink] (popular among sexually liberated youth)

The Bird: Middle finger *occasionaly the thumb is extended, sometimes retracted

SUFI: Middle finger and ring finger
[Super Fuck you] (Popular among Dane Cook Fans)

West Side: Pinky, middle and ring finger intertwined, index finger extended with fingers point toward the sky

[Was once a gang sign, now it denotes the place you call home](Popular among Californians, Washingtonians, Oregonians, and occasioanl Arizona and Idaho peeps)

East Side: Same as West Side, but with right hand pointed at the chest
[Similar to the West Side, but make sthe people on the East side much happier](Popular amonth New England people)

The MidWest: Two hands are used. Both use the West Coast symbol, but the bottim hand reches up and the middle points down
[Represents people from the MidWest, or MidCoast as some people refer to](Oddly, Yuppies use this a lot when we're having our chicken verde with bacon wrapped shrimp and drinking some Union Cherry)

The Trekkie: Pinky and ring touching and spread away from teh index and middle finger which are connected
[Live Longe and Prosper](Popular among trekkies)

Thumbs  up.... do I have to explain?!

ANyway, I doubt they were throwing signs. We have gangs in Chicago, but they really are not looking to pay to have their pictures taken... in fact they tend to shy away from cameras!!!

It's interesting to see how the signs have changed since my youth.

Oct 15 06 11:03 am Link