Forums > General Industry > Two Things that I hate:

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Not that we haven't driven this into the ground, but I think Jessalyn's shot is the RIGHT way to do that shot.

I, too, dislike the blatant hand coverings jut for the sake fo covering them when it adds nothing to the shot. The ones I get a kick out of (NOT!) are the ones where the model is topless, wearing jeans or something, sitting on a chair in a studio with a bland backdrop, topless, but covering. Why? What's the point? It's not sexy. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually think certain clothed shots have more potential to be sexy than nudes.

Oct 13 06 04:31 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Oct 13 06 04:39 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually think certain clothed shots have more potential to be sexy than nudes.

I agree. I think "leaving something to the imagination" is more sexy than full on nudity. Now there are obviously artists out there that are not trying to be sexy, they are trying to create nude art. That's different. But when girls are trying to be sexy I think certain clothed shots are more sexy to me

Oct 13 06 04:41 pm Link

Model

Sonya Marie

Tucson, Arizona, US

You know..not only is the hand over the ta-tas, breast, boobs, naugty bits popular on MM but Janet Jackson has taken it to video!! GO JANET!!!  Okay girls line up for you personal video addition of the covering of the breast....

Oct 13 06 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Dave Bulger wrote:
No, that was Burl Ives.

I thought it was Milton Berle...

Oct 13 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

I find nothing wrong with covering the breast with hands or what not. I prefer that over duct tape.

Oct 13 06 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Jay Bowman wrote:

me too... *sigh* uncle Milty was my hero
*hides his gown

Oct 13 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Isn't that a song?  Duke of Berle?

Oct 13 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

I hate people who *ALWAYS* get to tag a portfolio first, then gloat over it by saying something like "SO happy I tagged you first" I wanna bitch slap them upside the head..

Oct 13 06 05:14 pm Link

Model

Betty M

Tampa, Florida, US

This is ridiculous! I think its much hotter to hide things then to all out expose it. If the model looks stiff then its the model not the pose! I love implied nudes and all ways to to it are good if done right...

Oct 13 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

David Scott wrote:
Isn't that a song?  Duke of Berle?

I am the Duke of Berle

(nicely done, David!)

Oct 13 06 05:17 pm Link

Model

arianna77

Germantown, Maryland, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

No, no no, it was Milton Bradley.

Sigh....

Oct 13 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Maxwell

Somerville, Massachusetts, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
some people like to cover their "naughty bits" in the effort to make it more erotic. they want to leave something to the imagination.

if that is what is wanted, then that is what is wanted. hence:

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/061002/23/4521eb5b24bdf.jpg

there's no need to criticize. people shoot what they want to shoot. get over it.

wow smile

Oct 13 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
some people like to cover their "naughty bits" in the effort to make it more erotic. they want to leave something to the imagination.

if that is what is wanted, then that is what is wanted. hence:

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/061002/23/4521eb5b24bdf.jpg

there's no need to criticize. people shoot what they want to shoot. get over it.

You should take this into the studio, You really should.

Oct 18 06 05:44 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

Nora_Neko wrote:
I like the hand over breast pose.

I love that pose and so does my hand.  the other is holding a piece of crime scene tap.

Oct 18 06 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

I hate hate. I also hate them.

Oct 18 06 06:05 am Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

Really, hands covering the breasts can convey a plethera of meanings, if you just stop to think for a bit. Look inward to your inner femme:

Was she caught changing?
Caught cheating?
Caught skinny dipping?
Did her boobs just grow and she's been without a fitting and supportive bra for 3 weeks resulting in severe pain?
Did her boobs just grow and she likes to feel herself up?
Did her boobs just grow and she just doesn't know what to do with them?
Maybe she's a tease. Maybe she's trying to be a tease. Maybe she's not confident with her nude body.
Maybe she's not drunk enough for Girls Gone Wild, so this is as good as it gets.
Perhaps you have the air set far too low and her nipples are so hard it hurts.
Perhaps she thinks its artsy. Perhaps she thinks her portfolio should look like everyone elses.
Etc.Etc.

Oct 18 06 09:55 pm Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

lotusphoto wrote:

?

https://www.campusdish.com/NR/rdonlyres/CDAE2F0C-D854-478D-B433-9211B646AC5F/0/pastries.jpg

Donuts! Dear God man you should post pics like that for pregnant women to see!

Oct 18 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Zave Smith wrote:
There are two things that I often see in MM  pictures that drive me crazy.  The first and biggest is somebody covering their breasts with their hands.  Be naked, be dressed but there is nothing interesting, visual or even sexy about having your hand acting as a bikini.

I find it interesting, sexy and visually appealing, its a tease.  If you dont like it dont look.

Oct 18 06 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Ivy Bressler wrote:
Really, hands covering the breasts can convey a plethera of meanings, if you just stop to think for a bit. Look inward to your inner femme:

Was she caught changing?
Caught cheating?
Caught skinny dipping?
Did her boobs just grow and she's been without a fitting and supportive bra for 3 weeks resulting in severe pain?
Did her boobs just grow and she likes to feel herself up?
Did her boobs just grow and she just doesn't know what to do with them?
Maybe she's a tease. Maybe she's trying to be a tease. Maybe she's not confident with her nude body.
Maybe she's not drunk enough for Girls Gone Wild, so this is as good as it gets.
Perhaps you have the air set far too low and her nipples are so hard it hurts.
Perhaps she thinks its artsy. Perhaps she thinks her portfolio should look like everyone elses.
Etc.Etc.

Maybe she had her shirt in the dryer?

Oct 18 06 10:08 pm Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
Maybe she had her shirt in the dryer?

There ya go.

Maybe she spilled hot cocoa on her nipple and was grabbing her breasts reflexively... So many possibilities.

Oct 18 06 10:24 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

There is a photographer here in the D.C. area that continuously shoots models with their hands over their breasts. I have to ask-what is the point? It's quite distracting, IMO. You either want nude photos or you don't...

Oct 18 06 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

shareha wrote:
Where I live Pasties are a dinner choice smile

Timm wrote:
Unless you are from Michigan or Wisconsin, NOBODY is going to get that reference. smile

(I like mine with chili sauce)

Not true, parts of California know too. Grass Valley, Nevada City.

Oct 19 06 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Ivy Bressler wrote:

There ya go.

Maybe she spilled hot cocoa on her nipple and was grabbing her breasts reflexively... So many possibilities.

Maybe they were cold? Or needed lifting hand up to reach their full potential,you know an army of one or so. Be all you can be?

Oct 19 06 06:54 am Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Personally, it's a convention that's never bothered me- and useful for models who want their nipples covered (I don't like clothing much). However, Sarah Michelle Geller on MADTV did a great little ad for "Holding Your Own Boobs Magazine" to make fun of the convention, which I enjoyed:
http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=cNEumPSivi8

Oct 19 06 08:52 am Link