Forums > General Industry > Two Things that I hate:

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

There are two things that I often see in MM  pictures that drive me crazy.  The first and biggest is somebody covering their breasts with their hands.  Be naked, be dressed but there is nothing interesting, visual or even sexy about having your hand acting as a bikini.

The second one is pastes.  Unless the shot is a take off on burlesk, what is the point?

Sincerely,

Zave Smith
www.zavesmith.com

Oct 13 06 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I understand your feelings about the hands on the breasts.  What is the purpose?  I have seen a few that were ok...but most of the time the hands are stressed (meaning the model is scared anything is going to show) and the expressions are not suitable for the content (meaning the model is so worried about showing something that they cant get the look past their face).  If someone is going to do that shot please relax the hands...even if it means taking a little longer to make sure nothing more is showing that what is desired.

Oct 13 06 08:40 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I do burlesque, I wear pasties....you don't like pasties...I don't give a damn:-)

Oct 13 06 08:42 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

some people like to cover their "naughty bits" in the effort to make it more erotic. they want to leave something to the imagination.

if that is what is wanted, then that is what is wanted. hence:

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/061002/23/4521eb5b24bdf.jpg

there's no need to criticize. people shoot what they want to shoot. get over it.

Oct 13 06 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Believe me I have nothing against leaving something to the imagination, in fact I believe that most of the nudity on this site is do to a lack on imagination. 

Suzi, the shot the you should proves my point.  The hands on breast pose is just so overused.

I am all for each and every person on this site shooting in their own way. That is what art and fashion is all about.

Sincerely

Zave Smith
www.zavesmith.com

Oct 13 06 08:49 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'm confused...I don't have a hands over breast shot do I?  I either go topless or wear pasties when I'm doing burlesque.  I like my girls so any excuse to show off the twins is fine by me:-)

Oct 13 06 08:51 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
some people like to cover their "naughty bits" in the effort to make it more erotic. they want to leave something to the imagination.

if that is what is wanted, then that is what is wanted. hence:

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/061002/23/4521eb5b24bdf.jpg

there's no need to criticize. people shoot what they want to shoot. get over it.

Sexy shot Jessalyn:-)

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Zave Smith wrote:
Believe me I have nothing against leaving something to the imagination, in fact I believe that most of the nudity on this site is do to a lack on imagination. 

Suzi, the shot the you should proves my point.  The hands on breast pose is just so overused.

I am all for each and every person on this site shooting in their own way. That is what art and fashion is all about.

Sincerely

Zave Smith
www.zavesmith.com

suzi didn't use a shot. I did.

yea, so many things are overused. I mean: makeup, girls just standing there, girls with clothes on, girls sitting down, we should get rid of it all!
get over it.

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

What is a naughty bit?  Is that the same as a naughty part?  Why is it naughty?

I understand and agree...there is nothing wrong with just showing "some" and not all...it is just how it is done in my opinion that makes it a good photo or not.  Why not cover the nipples with a feather....or a wadded up towel across the breasts, or anyother object that shows the breats but within the relm that the photographer and or model are happy with?

Oct 13 06 08:52 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Susi wrote:

Sexy shot Jessalyn:-)

thanks! see it's not just like: BAM -->BOOB. it's erotic. leaves to the imagination.

Oct 13 06 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Zave Smith wrote:
The second one is pastries.  Unless the shot is a take off on burlesk, what is the point?

Sincerely,

Zave Smith
www.zavesmith.com

?

https://www.campusdish.com/NR/rdonlyres/CDAE2F0C-D854-478D-B433-9211B646AC5F/0/pastries.jpg

Oct 13 06 08:54 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Allen Coefield wrote:

I understand and agree...there is nothing wrong with just showing "some" and not all...it is just how it is done in my opinion that makes it a good photo or not.  Why not cover the nipples with a feather....or a wadded up towel across the breasts, or anyother object that shows the breats but within the relm that the photographer and or model are happy with?

would my picture make sense if I had a feather across it? it's supposed to make you feel I'm taking my shirt off for you but maybe I'm a little nervous, or I just haven't gotten there yet, or I'm trying to tease. it's all in what you see. and a feather wouldn't make sense.

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

hey those are some tasty pastries.....

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

lotusphoto wrote:

?

https://www.campusdish.com/NR/rdonlyres/CDAE2F0C-D854-478D-B433-9211B646AC5F/0/pastries.jpg

hey you changed his quote! it says pastes not pastries

smile funny though.

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Allen Coefield wrote:

bit=part (British say bits!!)

Oct 13 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

would my picture make sense if I had a feather across it? it's supposed to make you feel I'm taking my shirt off for you but maybe I'm a little nervous, or I just haven't gotten there yet, or I'm trying to tease. it's all in what you see. and a feather wouldn't make sense.

It can be any item that fits..only used a feather as an example

Oct 13 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

smile funny though.

oops, maybe it was burlesque

Oct 13 06 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

smile funny though.

I think I just got an idea for our next shoot....

Oct 13 06 08:57 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Zave Smith wrote:
There are two things that I often see in MM  pictures that drive me crazy.  The first and biggest is somebody covering their breasts with their hands.  Be naked, be dressed but there is nothing interesting, visual or even sexy about having your hand acting as a bikini.

The second one is pastes.  Unless the shot is a take off on burlesk, what is the point?

Sincerely,

Zave Smith
www.zavesmith.com

If something is driving you crazy on MM, you're taking this site too seriously.

You also fail to explain why we should care about what's driving you crazy.

Oct 13 06 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

The reason that I care, the reason that I posted my reaction to the hands on breast shot is that I do look for talent on MM.  I also know that a lot of people on this site put a lot of effort into building up their portfolios and I would like to seem their effort pay off.  If I can point out a thing or two which I believe will be helpful, why not? 

It is interesting, that when I have posted a few things in the past about smiling, about nudity about varity in somebody's portfolio, the response has been supportive but short.  Today I used the word "hate" knowing it would provoke a strong reaction and disscusion.

There are no right or wrong answers in art, but some solutions are a bit time worn.

Sincerely,

Zave Smith
www.zavesmith.com

Oct 13 06 09:07 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Zave Smith wrote:
There are no right or wrong answers in art, but some solutions are a bit time worn.

EVERYTHING has been used. is anything original anymore? somethings seem "original" but are still variations on something else.

Oct 13 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

lotusphoto wrote:

oops, maybe it was burlesque

wasn't he known for his pastries as well?

Oct 13 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Is it polite for me to ask models to wear pastries on their boobies?  Will they stay in place is duct tape needed?

Oct 13 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Dave Bulger

Austin, Texas, US

oldguysrule wrote:

wasn't he known for his pastries as well?

No, that was Burl Ives.

Oct 13 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Zave Smith wrote:
There are two things that I often see in MM  pictures that drive me crazy.  The first and biggest is somebody covering their breasts with their hands.

tell that to maxim, stuff, fhm etc. last i checked, people still purchase those mags. if you dont like it, dont photograph it, but certainly understand the market for it.

i hate asparagus. I dont eat it. but i also dont hit the asparagus forums to say so.

Oct 13 06 10:49 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

Zave Smith wrote:

Sincerely,

Zave Smith
www.zavesmith.com

You hate only 2 things??? This is MM... you need to hate way more than that!

Oct 13 06 10:53 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Capt Stu Beans wrote:

tell that to maxim, stuff, fhm etc. last i checked, people still purchase those mags. if you dont like it, dont photograph it, but certainly understand the market for it.

i hate asparagus. I dont eat it. but i also dont hit the asparagus forums to say so.

blah!! you just posted 666 posts!! HEATHEN! It's Friday the 13th! EVIL!

smile

Oct 13 06 10:55 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Allen Coefield wrote:

see my post in the naughty bits thread for an explanation of the word "naughty" part of the phrase "naughty bits"

:p

lol

Oct 13 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Carl Snider

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Im'age NY (INY) wrote:

You hate only 2 things??? This is MM... you need to hate way more than that!

It's only his 16th post, give him more time in the forums in order to build an adequate hate list! JK BTW Zave, feel free to hate as little or as much as you like. It's everyone's Internet given right!

Cheers,
C

Oct 13 06 10:57 am Link

Model

ooxoo

Marquette, Iowa, US

Where I live Pasties are a dinner choice smile

Oct 13 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

blah!! you just posted 666 posts!! HEATHEN! It's Friday the 13th! EVIL!

smile

asparagus will do that. its evil, and talking about it makes ME evil !

Oct 13 06 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

maybe if you stood on some railroad tracks?

geez... we haven't had a "I'm so tired of hands across breasts" thread since .... last week.

There's nothing cliched if one has enough creativity.

Really nice image, Jessalyn!

Oct 13 06 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Zave Smith wrote:
...There are no right or wrong answers in art, but some solutions are a bit time worn.

yeah.  Like third person bios and slow-loading flash sites...

wink

Oct 13 06 11:07 am Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

I like the hand over breast pose.I don't get why no one else does.So what if it is overused.All poses are overused.No pose is going to be original.Nothing is ever original anymore.

but that's just how I feel if it's a good picture it's good no matter what cliche is used.

Oct 13 06 11:08 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Carl Snider wrote:

It's only his 16th post, give him more time in the forums in order to build an adequate hate list! JK BTW Zave, feel free to hate as little or as much as you like. It's everyone's Internet given right!

Cheers,
C

Point taken... (note to self... add people who correct me to my hate list)

Oct 13 06 11:09 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Curt Burgess wrote:

maybe if you stood on some railroad tracks?

geez... we haven't had a "I'm so tired of hands across breasts" thread since .... last week.

There's nothing cliched if one has enough creativity.

Really nice image, Jessalyn!

lol, the train tracks would have completed the image smile

what's funny about that image is that I have another shot similar to it but I'm looking a little to my right over my shoulder. I was clutching my arm to my boob too much and didn't realize it (neither did the photographer). so when he took the shot he goes "oh. my." and then he showed me on the screen, I looked like I had a size D boob! it's hilarious! so we tried it again with my arm more relaxed so I didn't have this 1 ginormous boob.

Oct 13 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Carl Snider

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Im'age NY (INY) wrote:

Point taken... (note to self... add people who correct me to my hate list)

Well I must be number 693 on the list at least then, because no post here on MM forums ever goes uncorrected/unslammed, LOL, good one though.

Oct 13 06 11:19 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Zave Smith wrote:
The reason that I care, the reason that I posted my reaction to the hands on breast shot is that I do look for talent on MM.  I also know that a lot of people on this site put a lot of effort into building up their portfolios and I would like to seem their effort pay off.  If I can point out a thing or two which I believe will be helpful, why not? 

It is interesting, that when I have posted a few things in the past about smiling, about nudity about varity in somebody's portfolio, the response has been supportive but short.  Today I used the word "hate" knowing it would provoke a strong reaction and disscusion.

Sincerely,

Zave Smith
www.zavesmith.com

There are cliches. You've mentioned two of them.

If they're done well, they're done well.

Stating that you HATE all hands over ta-tas shots is silly. Have you SEEN every shot? No, no you haven't.

-D

Oct 13 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Carl Snider wrote:

Well I must be number 693 on the list at least then, because no post here on MM forums ever goes uncorrected/unslammed, LOL, good one though.

Touché... (note to self... add the word *Touché* to the words I hate list)

Oct 13 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Old Ska Punk

Crivitz, Wisconsin, US

shareha wrote:
Where I live Pasties are a dinner choice smile

Unless you are from Michigan or Wisconsin, NOBODY is going to get that reference. smile

(I like mine with chili sauce)

Oct 13 06 03:15 pm Link