Forums > General Industry > Models' Toes--Painted or Clear?

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Models and photographers:  do you have a preference?

Oct 11 06 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I always tell them to get the thing with the clear with white tips. I think they call it a French Manicure. I'm not being a smart ass. I'm just a dumb guy who doesn't know what that's called. But models always know what I mean when I describe it. I don't like any colors. But the clear/white tips matches with everything.

Oct 11 06 10:25 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

Clear for me, thanks for asking.

Oct 11 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

FemmeArt wrote:
Models and photographers:  do you have a preference?

no

Oct 11 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

both or neither, as long as the toes are reasonably pedicured and the polish (if used) is not chipped or worn

Oct 11 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Blevins

Nashville, Tennessee, US

depends on what look that I am going for---
but clear /white tips  or just clear always works--
colors tend to draw more attention to the feet -0-- so if the models feet
are not very pretty-- it can be more distracting in the photo if colored
my thoughts--
Randy

Oct 11 06 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Seattle Next Door

Seattle, Washington, US

Clear or French mani/pedi.  They go with pretty much everything.  I find most painted nails distracting.

Oct 11 06 10:32 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

clear

Oct 11 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Depends on what we are shooting. For dresses and high heels, I prefer the model to paint her nails. For swimsuit photos at a pool, I don't mind nail polish. At a natural setting for swimsuit, I prefer she use clear polish. For black and whites or nudes, also clear polish.

Oct 11 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

When in any doubt, clear. If people have a preference for a particular job/project, they'll let you know or it'll be done on set.

Oct 11 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

As long as they're manicured, I'm happy. I hate beat-up toes.

Oct 11 06 11:31 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:

Working on the shirt?

Oct 12 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

CherryBlossoms Photo

Jacksonville, North Carolina, US

Clear unless I am shooting pinup then red;)

Oct 12 06 09:22 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
When in any doubt, clear. If people have a preference for a particular job/project, they'll let you know or it'll be done on set.

I agree.  Also, if it's appropriate for the fingernails to be painted, the toenails ought to be painted as well.  Hate a mismatch.

The "natural" look is in style right now though.   Amazing how much makeup and work it requires to make someone look "natural".  smile

Oct 12 06 09:41 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I like me some sassy red toes.  Unless I'm doing figure work.  Then it's just distracting.

Oct 12 06 10:38 am Link

Model

Dana Nicole

NEPTUNE, New Jersey, US

i like hot pink.  but then, i'm a hot pink kind of girl.

Oct 12 06 12:21 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

For jobs its always a french mani/pedi or clear.....when I have my down time Its usually light colors nothing distracting...and no red ever...it stains the nail

Meela

Oct 12 06 01:04 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I guess clear is alright.  Anything but french or no polish at all..I think both of those are disgusting...lol.  Personally I like to see a gal in red polish!

Oct 12 06 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

if you paint your nails, make sure they are full painted and not chipped and stuff.  yes i've had this happen lol

Oct 12 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

French manicure looks classy and doesn't detract from the garment(s) when shooting fashion... or you can paint the fingers and toes to go with the outfit.
If shooting glamour or nudes, then just having them match and not be chipped is a good thing, unless you're going for a specific look.

Oct 12 06 01:41 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Dana Nicole wrote:
i'm a hot pink kind of girl.

Me too.  I'm obsessed with the color pink.

I don't paint my nails often, but when I do I love how red polish looks on my toes.

Oct 12 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

French manicure

Oct 12 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Professionally? 

Whatever the client asks for.  When it isn't specified, clear is always safe.  I loathe the way the French looks on toes.  Hate it with a passion.  But it does seem to be popular (makes it even worse). 

Oddly, I do like the look of nails painted white.  No explanation as to why...

Oct 12 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
Whatever the client asks for.  When it isn't specified, clear is always safe.  I loathe the way the French looks on toes.  Hate it with a passion.  But it does seem to be popular (makes it even worse).

I'm completely with you on that one.  Toenails should be trimmed short.  The french thing just makes them look longer.  Long tonails are disgusting.

Oct 12 06 02:34 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

LarryB wrote:

I'm completely with you on that one.  Toenails should be trimmed short.  The french thing just makes them look longer.  Long tonails are disgusting.

Finally some sanity, the french thing on toes just looks weird and creepy.

Oct 12 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

clear. well cared for feet (pedicure) with clear ...

FML

Oct 12 06 02:40 pm Link

Model

JeffE

Clear or no polish is disgusting.  Might as well be a man's foot.  ughhhhkkk

Oct 12 06 02:43 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Clear? Pshhht.

I went to the nail salon and asked them to put the ugliest color they had on my nails, and the second ugliest on my feet.

I have neonpee yellow fingernails and abomonation blue on my toes.

I think it fucking rocks.
Who wants to shoot my ugly nails? smile

Oct 12 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
Professionally? 

It's on a par with stretch Hummer limousines.

Oct 12 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Winchester, Virginia, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:

EXACT....also like metallic or Chrome polishes

Oct 12 06 07:12 pm Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I always try to paint my fingernails and toenails with a sheer pale creamy pink the night before a shoot.  If I don't have time, I leave them natural but file them to make sure they look clean and are even.

Oct 12 06 08:03 pm Link

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

I seem to be in the minority here, but I think that french manicured toes look icky.  The white tips on a french manicure are meant to simulate a clean nail that has grown past the nail bed.  When I see french manicured toes, it always looks to me like the person's toe nails have grown too long.  For some reason I think this looks gross.  I guess I'm just weird.

Oct 12 06 08:43 pm Link

Model

Mandy Y

nude

Oct 12 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Eikona

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

clear

Oct 12 06 08:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

NO white tips like french nails..it's just so ghetto...SORRY.  Do what the fashion models do..... nice and clean...clear...unless it's a particular shoot that the photog and stylists call for a particular "LOOK".... then color them in on the set while you're doing the makeup and hair.  This is one of the pet peeves I have as a MUA.... trendy colors and or lengths in nails as well... go neutral and go natural...NO FAKE NAILS...groom your nails so they are nice naturally, please.

Oct 12 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Bounddreams

Largo, Florida, US

PapaVic Photography wrote:
both or neither, as long as the toes are reasonably pedicured and the polish (if used) is not chipped or worn

I agree...although I really dont care for the clear w/white tips (french?).

Oct 13 06 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Bounddreams

Largo, Florida, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:
I seem to be in the minority here, but I think that french manicured toes look icky.  The white tips on a french manicure are meant to simulate a clean nail that has grown past the nail bed.  When I see french manicured toes, it always looks to me like the person's toe nails have grown too long.  For some reason I think this looks gross.  I guess I'm just weird.

Your not the only one...That "too long" look is why I dont like that style. IMHO, toe nails should not extend past the end of the toe itself. Lomg finger nails are nice, long toe nails are gross.

Oct 13 06 08:06 am Link

Model

Heidi Lynne

Centreville, Maryland, US

I do french...I'm just not fond of color for some reason.

Bounddreams wrote:
Your not the only one...That "too long" look is why I dont like that style. IMHO, toe nails should not extend past the end of the toe itself. Lomg finger nails are nice, long toe nails are gross.

I totally agree!!!!!! It grosses me out, why would anyone want their toe nails to be long?! lol heck, long nails even get in my way, but long toe nails?

Oct 13 06 08:46 am Link

Model

Keeper

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

One of my toes had a shower door dropped on it back in May, and has this little scar/scab thing under the nail that's just now growing out. I do foot modeling, so obviously this is a problem, and I have been keeping it colored with polish.

French Manicure or other neutral tones are best. I made the mistake of attempting to match it to the outfit once... It almost matched... almost.

Oct 13 06 08:07 pm Link

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

Mine are always painted black

Oct 13 06 08:09 pm Link