Forums > General Industry > Where do sluggos come up with this cr...

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

ap?

So, I'm in negotiations with a 'model' about a paid opportunity for her, when she pulls this shit:

Model: My manager advised me that I must have the right to approve any of the pictures before you use them. So I am interested but we will need to add this to the contract before we shoot. Let me know if this will be a problem.

Me: I'm sorry. I cannot agree to this. Since you would be paid cash on the day of the shoot I would have no assurance from you that any of the images would ever be approved. If I were to agree to this, what would stop you from taking the money and then rejecting every image presented.

However, I am willing to compromise. If you would be willing to defer your pay until you approve of a predetermined number of photos then I am willing to proceed with setting up the shoot.

Model: That sounds like it might work. Let me talk to my manager and get back with you.

Model: Sorry. That will not work. I expect to be paid at the end of the shoot.

Model: John. This is ______________'s manager. Im not sure what your trying to pull but it sounds to me like your trying to weesle a free shoot. _______________ gets paid for her shoots. You should understand that we just want to make sure bad pics do not get posted anywhere. We are just trying to protect her image.

Me:And I'm just trying to protect my wallet. So unfortunately, I will not be able to accomodate your needs. I wish you luck in all of your endeavors.

Model: Well that sure was a waist of time!

Oct 10 06 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

thats funny .....

thanks for the post ... lol

Oct 10 06 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

There's no manager...managers don't do that and besides, there are no managers for models they're agents and legally a manager cannot negotiate...only agents (California).

It's bullshit.

Listen if you are paying...use an agency and get away from fishing for models here...they are not professional and this is what one gets.

If you want to soar like an eagle then stop flying with turkeys.  My sister always said this...not a bad thought and I think it applies here.

Oct 10 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

"A waist of time." Hmm...

Oct 10 06 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:
ap?

So, I'm in negotiations with a 'model' about a paid opportunity for her, when she pulls this shit:

Model: My manager advised me that I must have the right to approve any of the pictures before you use them. So I am interested but we will need to add this to the contract before we shoot. Let me know if this will be a problem.

Me: I'm sorry. I cannot agree to this. Since you would be paid cash on the day of the shoot I would have no assurance from you that any of the images would ever be approved. If I were to agree to this, what would stop you from taking the money and then rejecting every image presented.

However, I am willing to compromise. If you would be willing to defer your pay until you approve of a predetermined number of photos then I am willing to proceed with setting up the shoot.

Model: That sounds like it might work. Let me talk to my manager and get back with you.

Model: John. This is ______________'s manager. Im not sure what your trying to pull but it sounds to me like your trying to weesle a free shoot. _______________ gets paid for her shoots. You should understand that we just want to make sure bad pics do not get posted anywhere. We are just trying to protect her image.

Me:And I'm just trying to protect my wallet. So unfortunately, I will not be able to accomodate your needs. I wish you luck in all of your endeavors.

Careful, there are people lurking around here who might claim you were unreasonable.

I'll bet that if you had hired her you would have expected her to actually show up too.  The nerve.

Oct 10 06 10:12 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Pixel Fisher wrote:
Listen if you are paying...use an agency and get away from fishing for models here...they are not professional and this is what one gets.

From what I've seen in the forums, this site is full of unprofessional models and photographers. I hate to hear a photographer make a general statement about all models here though.

Oct 10 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:
"A waist of time." Hmm...

Does that make Thanksgiving feasting "a time of waist"..?

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

I need a break, I just responded harshly to another thread and now after reading this one I just spent two minutes punching a bag as hard as I could. 

This site (and the bullshit internet modeling mentality) is really starting to get to me....

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

The statement was made to make a point to the OP...it's always the case that others take it personally.  No...not all models, lets just say the many amatures that many of these MM members seem to be complaing about in the threads.  I just spoke up a bit louder this time.

sorry to offend anyone...I was not speaking to all.

PixelFisher

Oct 10 06 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

But the question is...

Where in the world do they get the idea that this would be agreeable to anyone?

Oct 10 06 10:27 pm Link

Model

New York, New York, US

where do models find these managers who cannot spell? is it some secret industry standard that model managers may not be able to spell?

the mind boggles.

Oct 10 06 10:28 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Pixel Fisher wrote:
The statement was made to make a point to the OP...it's always the case that others take it personally.  No...not all models, lets just say the many amatures that many of these MM members seem to be complaing about in the threads.  I just spoke up a bit louder this time.

sorry to offend anyone...I was not speaking to all.

PixelFisher

Oh I definitely didn't take it personally, but thanks anyway. smile I just don't like watching the confidence in internet models dwindle.

Oct 10 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Oh I didn't take you response that way either.  I'm having a bad month...

Now I'm drinking and writing...

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=81855

Oct 10 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

John Jebbia wrote:
But the question is...

John, I think you are talented.  I think you are a smart man so my question to you
and to all those who produce solid work and even pay is...
Why do you guys put up with this silly crap?  The moment she said manager told
me would have  been my signal to say good bye.  A model recently asked why I
didn't call her when she didn't show or call and I told her, You are a adult.  If
we have a agreed shoot day and time I expect YOU to call and confirm or
cancel.  In your case, you are PAYING.  When its my dime its my way.  Don't
get me wrong I'm respectful but do you get to tell your boss how to run his
bussiness or what you will or won't do.  You of course did the right thing but
hey when she said my manager told me, conversations over.  Let her manager
pay her.

Oct 10 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
John, I think you are talented.  I think you are a smart man so my question to you
and to all those who produce solid work and even pay is...
Why do you guys put up with this silly crap?  The moment she said manager told
me would have  been my signal to say good bye.  A model recently asked why I
didn't call her when she didn't show or call and I told her, You are a adult.  If
we have a agreed shoot day and time I expect YOU to call and confirm or
cancel.  In your case, you are PAYING.  When its my dime its my way.  Don't
get me wrong I'm respectful but do you get to tell your boss how to run his
bussiness or what you will or won't do.  You of course did the right thing but
hey when she said my manager told me, conversations over.  Let her manager
pay her.

In all honesty, I was more or less searching for entertainment value by continuing the conversation and proposing my compromise. I knew when I suggested it she wouldn't go for it. I was really more curious to see what she/he would come up with next.

Oct 10 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

John Jebbia wrote:
But the question is...

It's not agreeable...I would have told them to leave immediately.
Unless they pay to own the copyright, they cannot do this.  Unless and this is the only time I know something like this goes on.  When I shoot celebrities...well known actors etc.  and I am shooting for their "publicist"..only then does the actor have a choice.  It's their appearence and your portfolio and they own the right to their image...it's a shared privilage.

So unless this particular model is paying many others to make sure she is famous and is a known name...then I can understand this.  Remember to, that the publicists also hire a photographer they like and it's the publicist who tends to edit the images and so few are ever "X"ed out.

A model that seems to be saying things without knowing why they are saying them or that they had to get back to you, only shows me that they are not pros.  If so they would understand the true process.

Sorry to get a bit harsh with you earlier.  And since we are not having this discussion over a beer I felt the need to go on harder...making it easier to lessen as we go on with this thread.
I feel you did the right thing...you own the copyrights and always will...no one can tell you how to use your images unless under contract they pay you for those rights.  To bad for the model....  The lack of trust that develops with models who are not professoinally represented can go a bit overboard...I can't blame them, but until someone comes up with a way to assure the safety and professional intent over the internet, we will always have something like this to write about.

with kindness,
PixelFisher

Oct 10 06 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

John Jebbia wrote:

In all honesty, I was more or less searching for entertainment value by continuing the conversation and proposing my compromise. I knew when I suggested it she wouldn't go for it. I was really more curious to see what she/he would come up with next.

I kinda thought that was a bit strange as you impress me as a no nonsense guy.
By the way look for a PM from me.

Oct 10 06 10:42 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

*picking up jaw off the floor*

that's absurb that the other party felt that was an acceptable agreement. gave me giggles. smile

Oct 10 06 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Pixel Fisher wrote:

It's not agreeable...I would have told them to leave immediately.
Unless they pay to own the copyright, they cannot do this.  Unless and this is the only time I know something like this goes on.  When I shoot celebrities...well known actors etc.  and I am shooting for their "publicist"..only then does the actor have a choice.  It's their appearence and your portfolio and they own the right to their image...it's a shared privilage.

So unless this particular model is paying many others to make sure she is famous and is a known name...then I can understand this.  Remember to, that the publicists also hire a photographer they like and it's the publicist who tends to edit the images and so few are ever "X"ed out.

A model that seems to be saying things without knowing why they are saying them or that they had to get back to you, only shows me that they are not pros.  If so they would understand the true process.

Sorry to get a bit harsh with you earlier.  And since we are not having this discussion over a beer I felt the need to go on harder...making it easier to lessen as we go on with this thread.
I feel you did the right thing...you own the copyrights and always will...no one can tell you how to use your images unless under contract they pay you for those rights.  To bad for the model....  The lack of trust that develops with models who are not professoinally represented can go a bit overboard...I can't blame them, but until someone comes up with a way to assure the safety and professional intent over the internet, we will always have something like this to write about.

with kindness,
PixelFisher

I understand what you're saying. However the internet has always been my primary source for models. I find the models I work with from here are more within the budget of many of my projects. I am more of a freelancer and so I need to keep the costs as low as possible. But, with the good comes the bad. I've accepted that. But even so, this stuff still makes me laugh. And that in itself is sometimes worth it.

Oct 10 06 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Oct 11 06 12:25 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

John Jebbia wrote:
ap?

What an awesome manager! He actually prevented this model from getting a paying job. Now that's what I call talent! Oh, wait... isn't he supposed to help her get paying work? And doesn't he need a license for that?

Why do these "models" listen to these idiots...?

Oct 11 06 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

Managers and agents are the biggest POS on the planet.  They hinder a models/artists career more than they help it.   Most of them have HUGE egos and attitudes.   They are also HORRIBLE at business.  Other than that they are great smile

Oct 11 06 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

btw - i have contacted more than a few new models who just got "managers" and i offered paying gigs.  the models have never worked before and the agent is demanding big time money.  I let them know that the model isnt worth that much money and they should lower their pay demand.  the manager always then tells me to go find an "internet model".  I usually call them back a year later, knowing full well the model isnt finding work and let them know they are POOR smile

Oct 11 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Kinetic Photography wrote:
btw - i have contacted more than a few new models who just got "managers" and i offered paying gigs.  the models have never worked before and the agent is demanding big time money.  I let them know that the model isnt worth that much money and they should lower their pay demand.  the manager always then tells me to go find an "internet model".  I usually call them back a year later, knowing full well the model isnt finding work and let them know they are POOR smile

Ever notice that 'models' who live by stupid shit like this typically either have all the same photos a year later and/or their last activity was several months ago?

Oct 11 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

John Jebbia wrote:

Ever notice that 'models' who live by stupid shit like this typically either have all the same photos a year later and/or their last activity was several months ago?

Exactly.  I remember a model recently that I saw who I thought had good potential but had very amatuer pictures in her portfolio.  I offered a shoot with her for free and her manager called me back and said she was only taking paid jobs.  I dont expect to do go very far.

Oct 11 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

John Jebbia wrote:
ap?

John, please do the site a favor and forward that conversation to the mods via a CAM thread... they violated the no sluggo policy, and seriously... come on... why subject anyone else to that.

Oct 11 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Paramour Productions wrote:
I need a break, I just responded harshly to another thread and now after reading this one I just spent two minutes punching a bag as hard as I could. 

This site (and the bullshit internet modeling mentality) is really starting to get to me....

There is a book in this stuff somewhere crying out to be written and published.

Studio36

Oct 11 06 05:32 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Miss Glass wrote:
where do models find these managers who cannot spell? is it some secret industry standard that model managers may not be able to spell?

the mind boggles.

Oh... come on now. When was the last time you saw an institute of higher learning in a trailer park?

Studio36

Oct 11 06 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/gifs/slugo-avatar.gif

If the model is on this site and the slugo is in her acount let us mods know.

Oct 11 06 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Hey John... have you forgotten where you are?  Dude... you're NOT in AZ anymore... YOU'RE IN CALIFORNIA... land of a billion models... and in this state... it's all about 'the mean green'... golddiggers are swarmin all over this state like flies on caca... so blow off this silicon sister and her manager mister... look to your immediate left and right... there's your next few dozen models... wink

Oct 11 06 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

studio36uk wrote:

Oh... come on now. When was the last time you saw an institute of higher learning in a trailer park?

Studio36

U.M.S.

University of MySpace

Oct 11 06 06:07 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Select Models wrote:
Hey John... have you forgotten where you are?  Dude... you're NOT in AZ anymore... YOU'RE IN CALIFORNIA... land of a billion models... and in this state... it's all about 'the mean green'... golddiggers are swarmin all over this state like flies on caca... so blow off this silicon sister and her manager mister... look to your immediate left and right... there's your next few dozen models... wink

Why do I always feel drunk after reading one of your posts?

Oct 11 06 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Why do I always feel drunk after reading one of your posts?

John... lol... U think Ur a happy drunk now?... wait til you finish leavin one of my 3 hour multi-model shoots... HaHa... that's a 'high' you'll never forget... ;D

Oct 11 06 05:15 pm Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

as far as the op , sounds like a bunch o poop to me.

Oct 11 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Select Models wrote:

Geez I wish we had that problem out here.

Oct 11 06 05:22 pm Link

Model

Kali Doom

Nashville, Arkansas, US

Select Models wrote:

This was highly entertaining.  Thank you.

As for the original situation.  That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Oct 11 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

cheap drugs have a lot to answer for.

Oct 11 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

John,

You should have known better than to contact her and her "manager" ( Husband ) she has always been a total flake and always will be.

Didnt we go through this with her once or twice before?

Oct 11 06 05:39 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

John Jebbia wrote:
ap?

Did she spell waist that way..?

Oct 11 06 05:41 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

John Jebbia wrote:
But the question is...

From their managers. The ever powerful managers.

Oct 11 06 05:42 pm Link