Forums > General Industry > Help me name my studio!!!

Photographer

Rock-it Photo

Louisville, Kentucky, US

You wouldn't think this would be too difficult..... but every time I turn around some one already has the name I had been using or one I thought of using, so I could use some help here coming up with a unique name to call my studio.  Any feedback, thoughts and idea's would be much appreciated!!!! 

Thank you!

Oct 09 06 05:22 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dustin McSwane

Brooklyn, New York, US

why don't you just name your studio after your own name double the word of mouth free advertising:)

Oct 09 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

dsmPhotoCompany-Brian

Des Moines, Iowa, US

Are you going to be doing mostly glamour work with your studio or family portriats, commercial work, etc?

What you are going to be doing there can help determine the name.  For me I used Visual Arts on the end because I do some design work on the side (may do more in the future) and I do a lot of photo restoration so I wanted something a little broader.  So my studio name came about by my generation and a little of needing to stay broad.

Oct 09 06 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

sdsteve

Spokane, Washington, US

how about "I love taking pictures of naked girls"

Oct 09 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Rock-it Photo

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Dustinthewind wrote:
why don't you just name your studio after your own name double the word of mouth free advertising:)

Well, I thought of that... but most people don't know how to say my last name... LOL!  I get molinaro, monetto, maldanado, mol........mal.... when it's actually pronounced ( Mall in auto).

Oct 09 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Rock-it Photo

Louisville, Kentucky, US

GenX Visual Arts wrote:
Are you going to be doing mostly glamour work with your studio or family portriats, commercial work, etc?

What you are going to be doing there can help determine the name.  For me I used Visual Arts on the end because I do some design work on the side (may do more in the future) and I do a lot of photo restoration so I wanted something a little broader.  So my studio name came about by my generation and a little of needing to stay broad.

I shoot a wide range really, commercial, glamour, portrait, children etc....

Oct 09 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rock-it Photo

Louisville, Kentucky, US

sdsteve wrote:

Cuz then my wife would figure out what I'm REALLY DOING......  lol!!  Just kidding!

Oct 09 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Post a picture of the studio. How can we name something sight unseen?

For instance, if you shoot in a gingerbread house, we might suggest you name it Hellfire Baked Goods Photography.

Oct 09 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Dustinthewind wrote:

Exactly... "Molinatto Studios"

Oct 09 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Just Shoot Me Photograp

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

sdsteve wrote:

Thats the name of my studio.

Oct 09 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

sdsteve

Spokane, Washington, US

Just Shoot Me Photograp wrote:

Thats the name of my studio.

Ha, I love it!!

Oct 09 06 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Antonio Photography

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

I agree. Molinato Photo Studio should be ok. The last name is not usual, so it won't be easily forgotten

Oct 09 06 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Just Shoot Me Photograp

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

sdsteve wrote:

Ha, I love it!!

Change my name to Just Shoot Me Naked Photography

Oct 09 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Maxwell

Somerville, Massachusetts, US

Bob's Photo Barn

Oct 09 06 05:53 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Unique /?Photography/? Studio.

Oct 09 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

"Stephen Colbert"

Oct 09 06 06:31 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

"leo loves legs" tongue

Oct 09 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Jatto?

Oct 09 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Ellison

Phoenix, Arizona, US

JM Studios or J.M. Studios...

Oct 09 06 06:43 pm Link

Model

Terra Bryant

Kent, Washington, US

Mall in auto.. studioss.. haha

Oct 10 06 02:41 am Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

I thought of movie studio names, just brainstormed putting down every name I thought of to go through later.

They ended in films or productions, but you can end in studio, can't name all but here are a few of my favorites.

like...

Black Cat Studios
Wirlwind Productions.
Buzzy Buzz Buzz
Cheapskate Productions
Light Year
Loony Bin
Film by Numbers Studio
Inter Planet Studios
EastWest Studios
Summertime Productions
Floppy Dixk Films
Key Large Pictures
B Studio
Scratched Films
Celluloid Films
Pill Box Studios
DNA Studios
Film Noir Studios
Red Hot Films

My favorite

Meteor Films
Platypus Studios
Art By Direction Studios

Lipstick Studios

you get the idea if you see one here, just use it.  If you use one of these please let me know which one, I would be curious to know which one you liked.

So just brainstorm and you'll  see the one that hits you and that will be it!

Oct 10 06 03:07 am Link

Photographer

Soma Non-studios

Emeryville, California, US

i had a tough time, too (you can tell by the changing watermarks in my port.) so once i *finally* settled on a model name - soma stardust, it was kind of easy. i didn't want to be a studio because that's  boring.
so ta-da, soma non-studios.

Oct 10 06 03:28 am Link

Photographer

Steve Gardner Photo

Delta, Colorado, US

'Mo-Jo Images'.  First to letters in each name.

Oct 10 06 04:32 am Link

Photographer

Billy Monday

Frederick, Maryland, US

The B(o)(o)bie Trap?

Oct 10 06 07:25 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I agree that naming a photo business is hard when you don't want to use your own name. Using your own name kind of limits your potential growth expectations, plus in my case, nobody would remember it. In my case, too, I could use my initials, but I already use those for my media endeavors and I don't want to mix serious journalism with pictures of pretty girls.

So, I opted for CYimages, which allows me to use CY for 'Celebrate Yourself!,' the tagline to promote the glamour stuff, or for CY as the call letters for Cyprus, where I am right now, or for 'See Why?' if you want to think that my kind of photography is explanatory (which it isn't). Looks like a lot of reasons for the name, but the fact is that I'm not happy with it and that it's a compromise because I couldn't get a .com address for names I liked.

If you don't have my reservations about using your initials, go for that and combine it with Studio, Studios, Productions, Photography or something similar.

Oct 10 06 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Rock-it Photo

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Skidder-Steve Images wrote:
'Mo-Jo Images'.  First to letters in each name.

Not a bad idea and MoJo Photo has a nice ring to it...... but there's alot out there when I google it. 

Oct 10 06 08:03 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Gladys.

Oct 10 06 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Rock-it Photo

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Bill Brittain wrote:
The B(o)(o)bie Trap?

Isn't that a "Titty Bar"?   I remember a comedian doing a bit on them, I think it was done by Tim Wilson..... heh heh heh.....

Oct 10 06 08:12 am Link

Photographer

eg

Miami Beach, Florida, US

How about "Pictures taken during Bush administration INC"...nobody's gonna forget that one...lol

Oct 10 06 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

John Molinatto wrote:
You wouldn't think this would be too difficult..... but every time I turn around some one already has the name I had been using or one I thought of using, so I could use some help here coming up with a unique name to call my studio.  Any feedback, thoughts and idea's would be much appreciated!!!! 

Thank you!

I know your own name is a tough one to remember -- but I still think it's better than picking a random name. The thing about naming studios -- it's so hard to predict where your photography will go in the future. A studio name that makes perfect sense for you today may be inappropriate or dated tomorrow. Branding is a huge marketing asset. I'd stick with "Joe Blow Photography." I think in the long run, most photographers are best off using their name as their business name.

Regards,
Paul

Oct 10 06 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Rob Lawler

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Molinatto is a great name, man.
Hey, look at all the masters that have funny names.  It distinguishes you from the rest, and if you don't believe me, go ask Arnold Swarzeneggar.

Oct 10 06 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Billy Monday

Frederick, Maryland, US

John Molinatto wrote:

Isn't that a "Titty Bar"?   I remember a comedian doing a bit on them, I think it was done by Tim Wilson..... heh heh heh.....

There was one by that name on 8 mile Road in Detroit, back in the 1980s.  Fairly high quality place if I remember correctly (you know, from what I heard...)

Seriously, Molinatto is a great name for a studio.

Oct 10 06 08:43 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dustin McSwane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Rob wrote:
Molinatto is a great name, man.
Hey, look at all the masters that have funny names.  It distinguishes you from the rest, and if you don't believe me, go ask Arnold Swarzeneggar.

I totally agree. Molinatto is a great last name 3 syllables always stands out for me. and people just have to take the time to read your name, it's pretty phonetical.
But if you feel that strongly about not using the great last name you have name your studio after the location it is in, street name, or what your studio used to be prior to you moving in. like if it was an old piano workshop, you could mention music or keys or ivory in the title of your studio. I always think thats fun way to think up a name. Find out the back history of your studio, or name it after the street its on w/ conjunction to your name

i hope this helps

Oct 10 06 08:45 am Link

Photographer

David Bunch

Foley, Alabama, US

John Molinatto wrote:

Well, I thought of that... but most people don't know how to say my last name... LOL!  I get molinaro, monetto, maldanado, mol........mal.... when it's actually pronounced ( Mall in auto).

Tell me about it...I've gotten Butch, Brunch, Bench, Busch, Brush....you name it...for my entire life.

Oct 10 06 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

You want lots of traffic for your studio? How 'bout: "Public Restroom."

Oct 10 06 08:49 am Link

Photographer

David Bunch

Foley, Alabama, US

Dustinthewind wrote:
Molinatto is a great last name 3 syllables always stands out for me.

3 syllables???

Oct 10 06 08:49 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dustin McSwane

Brooklyn, New York, US

David Bunch wrote:

3 syllables???

correction 4.

Oct 10 06 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Rock-it Photo

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Perhaps it would be best to use my last name, it certainly is unique.  Kinda crazy, from what I've been told, translated to english it would be Miller.... heh heh, not so uncommon now, huh?  My Father and Grandfather were also named John, but my Great Grandfather still had the Italian name of Giovanni, which is John in english.  I had thought about using that as well, perhaps something like "Giovanni Molinatto's Visions Studio"   or "Giovanni Molinatto's Photographic Visions" or should I just keep it a little more simple like "Molinatto Photographic"?

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
-John

Oct 10 06 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Rock-it Photo

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Anyone???  :*(  the thread has died.......  (plays taps)........

Oct 10 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

DSmith Photo

Melrose, Iowa, US

Tobacco Road Studio (unless you're planning on moving)

Oct 10 06 03:19 pm Link