Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Someone had to come along and be a meanie..

Oct 09 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
Someone had to come along and be a meanie..

sorry... I don't suffer tripe offered as goodness gladly.

Oct 09 06 09:49 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

James Jackson wrote:

sorry... I don't suffer tripe offered as goodness gladly.

What?

Oct 09 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
What?

*translates*
I won't let someone sell shit as shine-o-la.

*translates again*
I will not sit idly while someone makes a statement of quality incongruous with the facts presented in evidence.

Oct 09 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

saverio

Santa Monica, California, US

hey wynd, even though we have never worked together, i can be your very own photographer.  so now you can refer to "my photographer" where necessary.  all best, your photographer, saverio

Oct 09 06 09:58 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

James Jackson wrote:
*translates*
I won't let someone sell shit as shine-o-la.

*translates again*
I will not sit idly while someone makes a statement of quality incongruous with the facts presented in evidence.

Okay.  But if other people are buying the shit as shine-o-la because they like it, so what?  There is never any evidence proving a photo bad or good.  Period.

saverio wrote:
hey wynd, even though we have never worked together, i can be your very own photographer.  so now you can refer to "my photographer" where necessary.  all best, your photographer, saverio

Woah, woah, slow down there.  Shouldn't we at least go out on a shoot first?  And if you're my photographer, will we be going steady, or can I still work with everyone else I want to, too?

Edit/. Oh crap, that post was half serious.  I need to go now.

Oct 09 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
Okay.  But if other people are buying the shit as shine-o-la because they like it, so what?  There is never any evidence proving a photo bad or good.  Period.

Actually there *is* evidence proving a photo bad or good Wynd.  Just like the statement "everyone is beautiful in their own way" is a crock of crap, so too is the idea that any photo could be judged good by one person and judged as crap by another.

We all have prejudices... we will be more willing to forgive mistakes of friends, family, people who ask nicely, and puppies... but the real world proves that there *are* rules, and *people* (as in the whole of a population, not individuals) will judge any given person or artwork on average the same.

What I mean is, if one unbiased person says it's utter crap then typically all other unbiased people will call it crap.

Oct 09 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:

Fold in half, place each index finger aproxx. at the halfway point along the any axis and tear a small half circle area about the size of a quater away from this section of the 4 in. whole.
Use 4 inch sq. as instructed by station owner guidelines and then use the section torn out to clean under your nail. Dispose of both sections of said papers as per the osha required guidelines posted to your rite upon the wall.

TP with instruction manual... My world is now complete. smile

Oct 09 06 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Dr Molly Black

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Ched wrote:
I'm Batman.

Ched...

You are NOT Batman. (Did somebody forget to give him his meds today or did I just miss all the threads where he posted this weekend?)

Oct 09 06 10:12 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Dr Molly Black wrote:

Ched...

You are NOT Batman. (Did somebody forget to give him his meds today or did I just miss all the threads where he posted this weekend?)

I think he's been claiming to be Batman for some time, now.  Maybe about a week or so.  But if he's not batman, who is?...

Oct 09 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Dr Molly Black

Cleveland, Ohio, US

saverio wrote:

She's MINE, ALL MINE!

*Insert Evil Laughter HERE*

So she's MY model. She's only on loan to other photographers.

;-)

Oct 09 06 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Dr Molly Black

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

I think he's been claiming to be Batman for some time, now.  Maybe about a week or so.  But if he's not batman, who is?...

I know. He can be A "batman" but he's claiming to be THE Batman. Difference = large. Or something.

*Giggle*

Oct 09 06 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Ridwan

Sterling, Virginia, US

I use a point and shoot sometimes... FIND THE PHOTOS ON MY PORT...

haha

Im serious

Oct 09 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Peter Ljungkvist

Knäred, Halland, Sweden

I personally think it's fun to see what kind of equiptment other photographers use.
I use to put in my own ports I had on places like this before because I always got questions about what kind of equiptment I had myself.

Seems some people choose to view this as bragging or something, which I think is sad and says more about them than about the one's putting it there.

Now since I basically know all the swedish models here my presentation is not too serious here. But on other sites I often request port critisism to make my presentation and port as appealing to the majority as possible and the vast majority generally thinks that information about what camera shouldn't be in your presentation. Especially models seems to think so.

So that's how I choose to go about it but I certainly don't think negative of those who do put it in their pres.

Oct 09 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

James Jackson wrote:
*translates again*

Thank you for translating.

Oct 09 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

RidzDesign wrote:

haha

Im serious

me too.  often, actually.

Oct 09 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Dr Molly Black wrote:
Ched...

I'm Batman.

Oct 09 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Ched wrote:

I'm Batman.

can i be king tut?

Oct 09 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

RidzDesign wrote:

haha

Im serious

We.....I believe you?

Oct 09 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

RidzDesign wrote:

haha

Im serious

Ok, firstly, the point isn't that "point and shoot" is an invalid type of camera for a professional photographer to use.  The point is also not that you can't get great results from any type of equipment.  The point *is* that photographers know proper exposure, and know how to get proper exposure from whatever piece of equipment they use.

If you want to get picky, every fashion photographer in the industry who uses a Hasselblad H1 is using a "point and shoot" because that camera too can be turned to full auto with all the bells and whistles and all you have to do is frame and click.

-BUT-

If you want to get difficult exposures correct with a true "point and shoot", you have to be really good with your "point and shoot" and override it's internal thinking (as I used to do with my Nikon CoolPix 990) or you will end up with results that are less than stunning.

-Having said that-

If I am incorrect in identifying point and shoot shots from your port (miss identify them, or fail to identify some of them) then it is a bit more obvious why... and also, the mistakes that a point and shoot makes *can* be desirable at times, so just because you use one doesn't make a bad photographer.

I would identify the following as common mistakes in exposure made by a point and shoot camera:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1332946
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1133467
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1022299
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=951615
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=951572

Several of your images have been photoshoped on to a new background, which makes identification of point and shoot much more difficult.

Oct 09 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Peter Ljungkvist wrote:
I personally think it's fun to see what kind of equiptment other photographers use.
I use to put in my own ports I had on places like this before because I always got questions about what kind of equiptment I had myself.

Seems some people choose to view this as bragging or something, which I think is sad and says more about them than about the one's putting it there.

Now since I basically know all the swedish models here my presentation is not too serious here. But on other sites I often request port critisism to make my presentation and port as appealing to the majority as possible and the vast majority generally thinks that information about what camera shouldn't be in your presentation. Especially models seems to think so.

So that's how I choose to go about it but I certainly don't think negative of those who do put it in their pres.

What?

Oct 09 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
Why do people think they need to tell you what kind of _uckin camera they use on their Bio"s here? Who the _uck cares?

the camera is an eye, eyes are the mirror to the soul.. some photographers like to look into the soul of a model, you really captured her

so, not every photographer is pussywhipped, guys that talk about their photographic gear probably arent worried about sucking up to models or worried about their manhood

be funny to look in people's bios to see if they talk about other kinds of machines that somestimes suggest, you know, compensation where one might be lacking.. maybe some of the people who posted in this thread

also nice to know what some models think of the thousands (or more often tens of thousands) of dollars we invest in gear

Oct 09 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Christopher Bush wrote:

can i be king tut?

Sure........ummmm do you have proper ID? When was the last time you spoke to anyone in anyway that thought it was not what it was? Size really doesn't matter either? Since the world is flat anyway who needs to know where we are? That horse was bills before Ted got hold of it, now the blender won't even open all the way no more.....................

Oct 09 06 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Peter Ljungkvist

Knäred, Halland, Sweden

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:

What?

Sigh.....
There are guys like you on each community like this.....
I wish you well but personally I'm not gonna waste more time on you.
If anyone else have a more detailed comment or question about my post I'd be happy to reply to it.

Oct 09 06 10:40 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:

Sure........ummmm do you have proper ID? When was the last time you spoke to anyone in anyway that thought it was not what it was? Size really doesn't matter either? Since the world is flat anyway who needs to know where we are? That horse was bills before Ted got hold of it, now the blender won't even open all the way no more.....................

?

Oct 09 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

lotusphoto wrote:

the camera is an eye, eyes are the mirror to the soul.. some photographers like to look into the soul of a model, you really captured her

so, not every photographer is pussywhipped, guys that talk about their photographic gear probably arent worried about sucking up to models or worried about their manhood

be funny to look in people's bios to see if they talk about other kinds of machines that somestimes suggest, you know, compensation where one might be lacking.. maybe some of the people who posted in this thread

also nice to know what some models think of the thousands (or more often tens of thousands) of dollars we invest in gear

My camera is a camera? where are they selling the new ones with the souls? I not sure I care if the model feels good about my camera choice......Or another photographer for that matter. So hows it hangin?

Oct 09 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Christopher Bush wrote:

?

You know...................

Oct 09 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Peter Ljungkvist wrote:

Sigh.....
There are guys like you on each community like this.....
I wish you well but personally I'm not gonna waste more time on you.
If anyone else have a more detailed comment or question about my post I'd be happy to reply to it.

What?

Oct 09 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

James Jackson wrote:

Ok, firstly, the point isn't that "point and shoot" is an invalid type of camera for a professional photographer to use.  The point is also not that you can't get great results from any type of equipment.  The point *is* that photographers know proper exposure, and know how to get proper exposure from whatever piece of equipment they use.

If you want to get picky, every fashion photographer in the industry who uses a Hasselblad H1 is using a "point and shoot" because that camera too can be turned to full auto with all the bells and whistles and all you have to do is frame and click.

-BUT-

If you want to get difficult exposures correct with a true "point and shoot", you have to be really good with your "point and shoot" and override it's internal thinking (as I used to do with my Nikon CoolPix 990) or you will end up with results that are less than stunning.

-Having said that-

If I am incorrect in identifying point and shoot shots from your port (miss identify them, or fail to identify some of them) then it is a bit more obvious why... and also, the mistakes that a point and shoot makes *can* be desirable at times, so just because you use one doesn't make a bad photographer.

I would identify the following as common mistakes in exposure made by a point and shoot camera:

Several of your images have been photoshoped on to a new background, which makes identification of point and shoot much more difficult.

right . so now he tells me the blender is aol ,  i mean jacked. As I told them at the time that piece was to big to put in there from the git go. See

Oct 09 06 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Ched wrote:
I'm Batman.

Of course you are my dear............... Betty says her two kids never think about anything.
Those two clams that Steve didn't eat ,  the waiter said he could take them home if he cared to? Butter on your rolls wil often drip onto your shirt leaving unsightly.... umm...stains........?

Oct 09 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Ridwan

Sterling, Virginia, US

James Jackson wrote:

-BUT-

-Having said that-

WOW!!! I must say wow... none of my images have been photoshoped with new backgrounds...

Im not here to judge your or anybody elses port.... But i would love to know how you can say that all these images are incorrect exposures...

All im trying to say is that it doesnt matter what camera you use its how you use it to be clever and creative is what make the difference...

Oct 09 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Where'd Batman go?

Oct 09 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

RidzDesign wrote:

WOW!!! I must say wow... none of my images have been photoshoped with new backgrounds...

Im not here to judge your or anybody elses port.... But i would love to know how you can say that all these images are incorrect exposures...

All im trying to say is that it doesnt matter what camera you use its how you use it to be clever and creative is what make the difference...

Damn straight skippy.......did anyone bring coffee cake? I heard Betty say her kids never think about anything either?? It's so close in here mother..............

Oct 09 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Ridwan

Sterling, Virginia, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:

Damn straight skippy.......did anyone bring coffee cake? I heard Betty say her kids never think about anything either?? It's so close in here mother..............

I forgot the coffee cake at home but i did bring the cinnibuns...

Oct 09 06 11:20 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

RidzDesign wrote:

I apologize.  Sometimes using a silver reflector, flash unit, or strobe with silver umbrella outdoors can result in a color temperature differential that causes it to look like a photoshoped background.

RidzDesign wrote:

James Jackson wrote:

I didn't say they were incorrect exposures... obviously you got an image out of them... that's fine... but they are all examples of exposure mistakes.  An exposure mistake is when your primary subject is either over or under exposed, with no obvious artistic intent for doing that.  In each example I provided you'll find your main subject is either over or under exposed...most of the over exposures have sharp blown out highlights, and most of the under exposures are exposed more properly for an average of the composition.

The reason I said they're common point and shoot camera mistakes is that in each one, the exposure is on average (over the whole of the frame) very good... which is what point and shoot cameras do very well... but there are important areas of the composition, the main subject, which are severely over or under exposed... and if the exposure had been done with an incident meter or reflectively through manual use of your camera's meter set to spot, the problem would not exist.

RidzDesign wrote:

You are correct.  That is what I said too.  The caveat is that you can't make glaring mistakes while being clever and creative.

Oct 09 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
good call. most models would have no idea what any of it means anyways and that's who their audience is supposed to be right? so if they do put it on their profile then they are trying to impress other photographers. or maybe by speaking a bunch of mumbo jumbo that most models wont understand they really sound professional instead of a GWC

yes at seven cents a minute that will in fact save you some money. Mumbo and Jumbo feel encouraged in the effort put forth this year in keeping things going.
GWC........yeah seen it on the science chanel the other day...they say we ain't got that much time to be doin anything at all.

Oct 09 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

James Jackson wrote:

RidzDesign wrote:

I apologize.  Sometimes using a silver reflector, flash unit, or strobe with silver umbrella outdoors can result in a color temperature differential that causes it to look like a photoshoped background.

RidzDesign wrote:

James Jackson wrote:

I didn't say they were incorrect exposures... obviously you got an image out of them... that's fine... but they are all examples of exposure mistakes.  An exposure mistake is when your primary subject is either over or under exposed, with no obvious artistic intent for doing that.  In each example I provided you'll find your main subject is either over or under exposed...most of the over exposures have sharp blown out highlights, and most of the under exposures are exposed more properly for an average of the composition.

The reason I said they're common point and shoot camera mistakes is that in each one, the exposure is on average (over the whole of the frame) very good... which is what point and shoot cameras do very well... but there are important areas of the composition, the main subject, which are severely over or under exposed... and if the exposure had been done with an incident meter or reflectively through manual use of your camera's meter set to spot, the problem would not exist.

You are correct.  That is what I said too.  The caveat is that you can't make glaring mistakes while being clever and creative.

Come to think on it , Billy aint been thinking much either alot lately? His mom never had dental problems until after his daddy come back from the war. Using many of todays modern thins you can put some things as they was before it started.

Oct 09 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Michael J

Rustburg, Virginia, US

Woah, woah, slow down there.  Shouldn't we at least go out on a shoot first?  And if you're my photographer, will we be going steady, or can I still work with everyone else I want to, too?

Would that be like the model/photographer equivalent of a husband/wife "swinging"?

Oct 09 06 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Greg Knapp wrote:
I am ashamed of my camera.. its silver and everyone knows to take really great photographs you need a black camera (also known as the higher contrast model)

I am so embarrassed that I never even let the models see the camera, for all they know im just standing behind the key light making shutter noises with my mouth, and holding out a lens that I bought at a garage sale for 4 bucks.

>.< dang it.. i swore i would never let my secrets out and now there they are for all to see..  oh well

I was supposed to buy a camera?

Oct 09 06 11:37 am Link

Model

Don Watson

I think it's useful. Not the camera model in general, but brand names of equipment helps in gauging how professional the photographer is. I would be more likely to go on shoot with somebody who uses dSLR vs regular Point and Shoot camera :-)

Oct 09 06 11:41 am Link