Forums > General Industry > Hands over Breast?

Photographer

Marsh-Bogan Photography

Columbia, South Carolina, US

I have been a photographer for many years. I have noticed in many portfolios pictures of female models with their hands over one or more of their bare breast. I am trying to understand what type of nude art this is. I know I am from the old school but this is new to me. Why would a model show 75 percent or more of their breast and then put their hands or finger over it to hide it? What does this mean in the art of nude or semi nude photography. I can understand implied nude but the hands over the breast has me lost.

Oct 08 06 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's glamour.

Text book tease.

Oct 08 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

This simply urks me....I'm seeing 90 percent of your goddamn breast!

Either be conservative...or let loose, but if you do....do it right and all the way.

Simply annoying to look at.

it is a clue to what models I would never want to work with-

Oct 08 06 09:16 pm Link

Model

Phoenix12

Albany, New York, US

so we can post them in our avitars and on myspace!!

Oct 08 06 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

for some it's the illation factor sans the tit.  for some it is the full titillation.  confusing, yes.

--face reality

Photographer

Marsh-Bogan Photography

who started this form of art, or is this art?

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Art is subjective.  You can't say whether the act of covering  one's breasts with your hands is an artistic technique or not, it can be done well or be done poorly.

But it's been around for as long as people have been photographing nude/semi-nude women.  Definately prevelant in early pin up.

Oct 08 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Marsh-Bogan Photography

Katherine Phoenix wrote:

So this is the reason that you do this? I am still wanting to know is this a new form of Art?

Oct 08 06 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Marsh-Bogan Photography

Ransom J wrote:
Art is subjective.  You can't say whether the act of covering  one's breasts with your hands is an artistic technique or not, it can be done well or be done poorly.

But it's been around for as long as people have been photographing nude/semi-nude women.  Definately prevelant in early pin up.

This is true but I am seeing more of it now for some reason.

Oct 08 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Marsh-Bogan Photography

Katherine Phoenix wrote:

You can not pose them on MM if you show your full breast?

Oct 08 06 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

DAntony

Pasadena, California, US

Whenever I've committed the hyprocrisy of shooting that cliche'd old pose ,I regret it afterwards. It makes no sense to me after viewing the results. If a woman wants an implied topless then I'd rather use a piece of fabric, chain, anything but the hands. The hands always mash the breasts too much, the models put a death grip on the boobs. When they relax a bit, they then tense up more. The natural outline and form of the breasts is lost to clenched hands, bony fingers and bulging knuckles. Madness!!! Need I say more?

Oct 08 06 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Glamour Makeover Studio wrote:

This is true but I am seeing more of it now for some reason.

An overabundance of it doesn't make it more or less art.  it is what it is. 

A tease technique.  No more, no less.  Much like a flirty wink, a pouty look or bedroom eyes.  Just a way to convey a "you want me huh?  well you can't have me!' attitude.

And you probably see it more because of the abundance of "models" flooding the net.  many come in, thinking they are going to be the next Kate Moss/ Claudia Schiffer/ Tyra Banks, yet they are 5'4".  So their options to model are limited.  Commercial doesn't portray the "glamourous life" of a model for all these wanna be's art normally requires them to get nude and while glamour might have a strong sexual intent, it can still be done without having to "show it all" plus it has all the bragging rights of being in big name magazines and what not.  So that's where a lot of your too short, too thick, too naieve models are going.  hence a rise in those types of photos.

but this is just my opinion.  Never counted for much.

Oct 08 06 09:26 pm Link

Model

Durham Sorrow

Beecher, Illinois, US

its pretty overdone and ridiculous. a lot of photogs just want a cheap look.

Oct 08 06 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

If people want to do it and it doesn't affect you, don't let it worry you.  Just like some may not like the cliche of posing a model in front of a standing mirror.  Been done millions of times. The more people do things like everyone else, the more chance you have to stand out. Or, as stated earlier, think of a new way to do it.

Oct 08 06 09:29 pm Link

Model

Phoenix12

Albany, New York, US

So this is the reason that you do this? I am still wanting to know is this a new form of Art?

I have done it for that reason.

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DAntony wrote:
Whenever I've committed the hyprocrisy of shooting that cliche'd old pose ,I regret it afterwards. It makes no sense to me after viewing the results. If a woman wants an implied topless then I'd rather use a piece of fabric, chain, anything but the hands. The hands always mash the breasts too much, the models put a death grip on the boobs. When they relax a bit, they then tense up more. The natural outline and form of the breasts is lost to clenched hands, bony fingers and bulging knuckles. Madness!!! Need I say more?

Meh!  Depends ont he emotion you want to convey.  You can use that tension from boney hands and bulging knuckles to take it outside of the normal cliche' into something different.

viola!

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060726/00/44c6facad5548.jpg

I've always said, that people that complain about cliches are too uncreative to reinvent it into something worthwhile.

Photographer

Marsh-Bogan Photography

Durham Sorrow wrote:
its pretty overdone and ridiculous. a lot of photogs just want a cheap look.

Well I will agree with you on one thing it does look "Ridiculous"

Oct 08 06 09:30 pm Link

Model

Phoenix12

Albany, New York, US

DAntony wrote:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1368123
check this one out.

Oct 08 06 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Please, take a step back and stop being so snobbish.

The pose draws the distinction between what is allowed in mainstream American publications that are not considered nude, and what is not.

It's the difference between Maxim, which any pimply-faced 15 year-old can buy on the newsstand and Playboy, which he, for better or worse, can not.

Nipple and areola are considered nude. Covered, any amount of breast showing is considered non-nude for publication standards (note that I'm not making a legal distinction or even a codified distinction).

If you don't personally like the pose, fantastic. I, personally, hate clowns. But they seem to be popular at the circus. My problem, I suspect.

Oct 08 06 09:33 pm Link

Model

Durham Sorrow

Beecher, Illinois, US

When shot correctly it can evoke a certain sense of vulnerability, and it's popular as a tease in gentlemen's mags. but when it's just done for no reason, i find it ridiculous. I know a photog that shoots alot of that and it just looks lame.

Oct 08 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Marsh-Bogan Photography

Vegas Alien wrote:
If people want to do it and it doesn't affect you, don't let it worry you.  Just like some may not like the cliche of posing a model in front of a standing mirror.  Been done millions of times. The more people do things like everyone else, the more chance you have to stand out. Or, as stated earlier, think of a new way to do it.

It does not bother me at all. I am just trying to understand it and have decided to discuss it in a mature and professional way on this forum. However I agree with you that maybe someone should create a way that it can be done better. The question is how do you make it better than putting your hand over your breast?

Oct 08 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

It's the Suicide Girls generation.  All the girls want to prove they're naughty and rebellious but somehow they've picked up the notion that if you don't show nipples, it's not as slutty.  I'm guessing that's growing out of the legal ambiguity about nudity in media.  You have FHM and Stuff type magazine covers that can show basically anything but "naughty bits" and nipples  You have internet guidelines on sites like myspace that draw the line at nipples.  Network TV can even show pretty much anything so long as there are no genitals or nipples.

Go hang out on livejournal and myspace for a few weeks and you'll notice that half the underaged/barely legal girls have photos of themselves topless but hands over breasts or--so much worse--electrical tape over nipples and if you ask what they're thinking they'll give you the argument that "It's not illegal/immoral because you can't see nipple."  (I've had this argument many many times and it's always incredibly frustrating.)

I'm definitely in the camp that says if you're gonna get naked, get naked.  (If you're over 18.)

Oct 08 06 09:36 pm Link

Model

Phoenix12

Albany, New York, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:
Please, take a step back and stop being so snobbish.

The pose draws the distinction between what is allowed in mainstream American publications that are not considered nude, and what is not.

It's the difference between Maxim, which any pimply-faced 15 year-old can buy on the newsstand and Playboy, which he, for better or worse, can not.

Nipple and areola are considered nude. Covered, any amount of breast showing is considered non-nude for publication standards (note that I'm not making a legal distinction or even a codified distinction).

If you don't personally like the pose, fantastic. I, personally, hate clowns. But they seem to be popular at the circus. My problem, I suspect.

well said!! smile

Oct 08 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

jtorr

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

All it takes is a famous person/personality.  If I am not mistaken Jennifer Aniston did this for an ad.  At least that is the most recent that I can remember.  Probably some other big name star did this and it seems to have caught on.  You are not the first to point this out. 

Maybe the person(s) (Model and Photographer) feel that they are not giving away the best part of the story.  Who knows.  Is it art? I guess if the viewer thinks it's art, then it is art. 

One persons trash is another persons treasure.

Oct 08 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

This drives me crazy also, I can't for the life of me understand why one would be topless and cover up this way, and it's soooo overdone, all the time, over and over and over.
The oxymoron of nude photography.

Oct 08 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Extra question:

What cliche's are OKAY?  because it seems to me the EVERYVODY has something in their port that has been done to death.  What made your overdone cliche better than the one you hate so much?

Oct 08 06 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

Ransom J wrote:
Meh!  Depends ont he emotion you want to convey.  You can use that tension from boney hands and bulging knuckles to take it outside of the normal cliche' into something different.

viola!

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060726/00/44c6facad5548.jpg

I've always said, that people that complain about cliches are too uncreative to reinvent it into something worthwhile.

That is a great shot!  See, in yours the hands-on-breasts thing works, but I think part of that is her intent in doing it isn't specifically to hide her nipples (obviously.)  It just looks like it was a spontaneous action that fits with the scene.

The only types that get on my nerves are the ones where the model just has palms glued to breasts looking like she's thinking "So long as no one sees my nipples, I'm still modest!"

But then again I've even seen a few of those made to work.

Oct 08 06 09:46 pm Link

Model

Model D Nic

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Ransom J wrote:

An overabundance of it doesn't make it more or less art.  it is what it is. 

A tease technique.  No more, no less.  Much like a flirty wink, a pouty look or bedroom eyes.  Just a way to convey a "you want me huh?  well you can't have me!' attitude.

And you probably see it more because of the abundance of "models" flooding the net.  many come in, thinking they are going to be the next Kate Moss/ Claudia Schiffer/ Tyra Banks, yet they are 5'4".  So their options to model are limited.  Commercial doesn't portray the "glamourous life" of a model for all these wanna be's art normally requires them to get nude and while glamour might have a strong sexual intent, it can still be done without having to "show it all" plus it has all the bragging rights of being in big name magazines and what not.  So that's where a lot of your too short, too thick, too naieve models are going.  hence a rise in those types of photos.

wonderfully said

Oct 08 06 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

StarlaMeris wrote:
That is a great shot!  See, in yours the hands-on-breasts thing works, but I think part of that is her intent in doing it isn't specifically to hide her nipples (obviously.)  It just looks like it was a spontaneous action that fits with the scene.

The only types that get on my nerves are the ones where the model just has palms glued to breasts looking like she's thinking "So long as no one sees my nipples, I'm still modest!"

But then again I've even seen a few of those made to work.

Thank you! smile

But it seems to me that you aren't critical of the hands being over the breasts so much as the models inability to emote something that justifies the pose or the photographers inability to direct the model to emote, or both.  Either way it's not the fault of the pose.  Any pose can look contrived and lifeless if the model/photographer sucks.

Also that shoot was a great shoot.  Bradley (the model in the pic) is absolutely one of the most expressive, emotive models I've worked with.  I think for that set i churned out about 150 snaps and had at least 100 keepers.

Oct 08 06 09:54 pm Link

Model

Jael M

Houston, Texas, US

I think that there are images where it is done well and not so well; just as there are nudes done well and poorly/cheap. Sometimes the nudes would have looked better if they were covered with something (honey, put those away!) and looked just as cheap if not cheaper by baring all your goodies.

It has been done and over done and beaten to death...but can still work as I’ve seen some beautiful ones. It is a personal choice I guess. We all respond to sex and I personally think a thong on is sexier than a bare ass and a little bit of covering is sexier than just boobies floating around. And most of the time, they are boobies I could have done without seeing! wink

-Jael-

Oct 08 06 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have been a photographer for many years. I have noticed in many portfolios pictures of female models with their hands over one or more of their bare breast. I am trying to understand what type of nude art this is. I know I am from the old school but this is new to me. Why would a model show 75 percent or more of their breast and then put their hands or finger over it to hide it? What does this mean in the art of nude or semi nude photography. I can understand implied nude but the hands over the breast has me lost.

They're doing it to irritate you.

Especially her.

https://ic1.deviantart.com/fs11/i/2006/252/1/3/Oh_No_You_Don__t__BW__by_stmarc.jpg

(Link to the pic if the hotlink doesn't work: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39510472/)

Good job, ladies!

In all seriousness, what kind of a question is that? As has been pointed out multiple times, the pose is not new: it's common in artistic nudes and erotica from the beginnings of photography. And as to why they're doing it? They're doing it because they and/or the photographer don't want you to see their nipples in the picture.

I mean, why do models wear clothes in pictures at all? Isn't that a horrible waste of film that could all be of nudes? (Well, I may be on to something there. But I digress.) The picture is the picture. If you don't like it, fine. Lots of pictures I don't like. If you don't understand the photographer's motivation, fine again. Lots of pictures I don't get. But treating it like it's some sort of Art Movement and/or conspiracy (often these two are related, I admit) is just melodrama of the most trivial sort.

M

Oct 08 06 10:00 pm Link

Model

Jaketa Rae

Chesapeake, Virginia, US

It's all about social standards. If ur covering ur nipples then it's not considered to be a nude. Me personally, i'm self-consious about my nipples so that's why I cover them.

Oct 08 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

Ransom J wrote:
But it seems to me that you aren't critical of the hands being over the breasts so much as the models inability to emote something that justifies the pose or the photographers inability to direct the model to emote, or both.

Exactly.  I just think there should be a good reason for the pose besides modesty on the model's part.  Or at least the model and photographer need to find a way to make it look like there's a better reason.

Oct 08 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Saryn Angel

Los Angeles, California, US

Funny. I just did a set today where the model covered her breasts.. It had nothing to do with modesty and all about just another tease.

I haven't edited the images yet.. So I don't know if I'll use them - But they were part of a set - and the following images in the set showed everything.

~S

Oct 08 06 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Satan Bug

Hell, Nord-Trøndelag, Norway

and never found...

Oct 08 06 10:04 pm Link

Model

LeB

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I just say, use anything but your hands to cover the nipple. Be creative. the hands are way over-used, and not as sexy as a selectively placed shadow or any other body part. Just my two cents on what I like.....

Oct 08 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I will post three here. This first one is based on the idea of an Argentine bird called the hornero (baker) that makes a nest out of adobe and straw that looks much like a baker's oven. The entrance twists around and is supposed to prevent predators from getting to the eggs. The nests usually appear on top of telephone poles and in the posts of ranch fences.

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060605/00/4483c04ef2fd4.jpg

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1387478

The second photo I took quite recently. The model is very flexible and when she did this I was startled. It simply looked different.
Alexwh

There is also this  third variation.

http://ompi.onemodelplace.com/_image_co … B2E8F0A239

Oct 08 06 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

It's nothing more than a technique of posing that allows the images to be on major magazine covers (think Rolling Stone, Maxim, People) that could NOT publish the complete nude otherwise.  Mainstream glamour nudity is not acceptable in mainstream magazines.  This hand bra pose, although over used now, it allows a more titillating style to grab our attention.  I enjoy shooting the implied and pin up style without showing nudity.  Is it art?  Well that is in the eye of the beholder.  Nothing you should stress out over.

Oct 08 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Robbie Wolf Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Maybe a women's breasts don't look as good unsupported but she didn't want to wear a bra for the picture and still didn't want to show everything. Can be a valid reason.

Oct 08 06 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Ransom J wrote:
Extra question:

What cliche's are OKAY?  because it seems to me the EVERYVODY has something in their port that has been done to death.  What made your overdone cliche better than the one you hate so much?

Very true!  The pose of the hands over the breasts have been used in classic art as well as modern images since ... well the beginning of time?  So we pretty much borrow (sometimes out right steal!) from past images that worked.  It doesn't mean it will work for all of us.  It can be great, or it can be cliche.

Oct 08 06 10:21 pm Link