Forums > General Industry > Hands over Breast?

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Oct 08 06 10:23 pm Link

Model

Jael M

Houston, Texas, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Very true!  The pose of the hands over the breasts have been used in classic art as well as modern images since ... well the beginning of time?  So we pretty much borrow (sometimes out right steal!) from past images that worked.  It doesn't mean it will work for all of us.  It can be great, or it can be cliche.

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery...

-Jael-

Oct 08 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

LeBrone wrote:
I just say, use anything but your hands to cover the nipple. Be creative. the hands are way over-used, and not as sexy as a selectively placed shadow or any other body part.

Well put.

Oct 08 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

sometimes the intention of the photographer is not to call attention to the breasts but rather other aspects of the model's body within the photograph:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/papavic/Dsc00082cropr.jpg
Image copyright 2003 Papa Vic Photography

Oct 08 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

We've seen this style of thread before....

Goes like...

hypothetical photographer wrote:
I'm an experienced photographer and boy am I tired of seeing  type of photos. How cliched can you get.  These kinds of images are just .  What goes with this?

Oftentimes when you check the OPs page you'll find some kind of other cliched image. This is the really funny and completely predictable part of this waste of time thread. In the case of the current OP who saw the need to rag on "hands over breasts" images, one can find angel wings AND wronkled sheet backgrounds. It then becomes clear that the OP just wanted to feel superior about something at the expense of other photographers.

Naturally someone always posts some images of the maligned type that are excellent thus making it obvious, once again, that with enough creativity, any subject can be a great image.

Of course these cliche complaint threads have been done exhaustively demonstrating that the OP didn't bother to use the search engine. If you want to email the offended OP, usually their email address will be a yahoo or hotmail account.

Oct 08 06 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Curt Burgess wrote:

Goes like...

Oftentimes when you check the OPs page you'll find some kind of other cliched image. This is the really funny and completely predictable part of this waste of time thread. In the case of the current OP who saw the need to rag on "hands over breasts" images, one can find angel wings AND wronkled sheet backgrounds. It then becomes clear that the OP just wanted to feel superior about something at the expense of other photographers.

Naturally someone always posts some images of the maligned type that are excellent thus making it obvious, once again, that with enough creativity, any subject can be a great image.

Of course these cliche complaint threads have been done exhaustively demonstrating that the OP didn't bother to use the search engine.

So you're saying this THREAD is cliche?

lol

Oct 08 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

RGK Photography

Wilton, Connecticut, US

PapaVic Photography wrote:
sometimes the intention of the photographer is not to call attention to the breasts but rather other elements of the model's body within the photograph:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/papavic/Dsc00082cropr.jpg

sorry, this one says she has more hair on her arms than I do

Oct 08 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

RGK Photography

Wilton, Connecticut, US

Katherine Phoenix wrote:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1368123
check this one out.

Fantastic. Your arm almost looks like a bra supporting your chest.

Oct 08 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Ransom J wrote:
So you're saying this THREAD is cliche?

lol

I guess I am!

That and I just like using the word wronkled.

wink

Oct 08 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Curt Burgess wrote:

Goes like...

Of course these cliche complaint threads have been done exhaustively demonstrating that the OP didn't bother to use the search engine. If you want to email the offended OP, usually their email address will be a yahoo or hotmail account.

You are absolutely right.  But the fact is that if you have been in MM for a while you would notice that people who post will suddenly disappear. MM is like a family of butterflies that make up a rapidly changing population. If everyone checked the threads of previous months this sort of thing would stop. But then how many new subjects can you cook up? And how many like you have pointed this out? Would there be a thread dedicated to those that point this fact out? There used to be a poster in MM who surpassed 2000  and then he disappeared and or flamed out. He was a nice guy with good ideas. Does Xtremeartist ring a bell?  Check the beginning of the you don't need a job you have Audrey thread and you will find him there. It is a pity but that's how MM works.
Alexwh

Oct 08 06 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

Well Hands cupping the breast is the best fitting bra models can find to give them support and feel perfect and look hot at the same time.  So thats the real reason for doing it.. It just so happens that photographers are lucky to catch them doing in between outfit changes.

nothing more to understand about it.

Oct 08 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

RGK Photography wrote:

How terribly observant of you.  No wonder you are a Professional Photographer.

Oct 08 06 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

This is the most viewed/commented photo in my MM port.  Maybe I got it right (?)

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1046403  (18+)

note to RGK: this one tells you she's skinnier than you are.

Oct 08 06 10:46 pm Link

Model

Jakki Browne

Los Angeles, California, US

Aw F**k this is cliche?! Better trash it.....

Oct 08 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

alexwh wrote:
You are absolutely right.  But the fact is that if you have been in MM for a while you would notice that people who post will suddenly disappear. MM is like a family of butterflies that make up a rapidly changing population. If everyone checked the threads of previous months this sort of thing would stop. But then how many new subjects can you cook up? And how many like you have pointed this out? Would there be a thread dedicated to those that point this fact out? There used to be a poster in MM who surpassed 2000  and then he disappeared and or flamed out. He was a nice guy with good ideas. Does Xtremeartist ring a bell?  Check the beginning of the you don't need a job you have Audrey thread and you will find him there. It is a pity but that's how MM works.
Alexwh

I've been on MM for awhile (10 days longer than you wink ) and have noticed that. 

My main point was that when people bring up the "cliched photograph" issue, it's 1) inevitably hypocritical, 2) indicates some kind of superior attitude over other classes of images or photographers, and 3) reflects a lack of creativity.

Oct 08 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Curt Burgess wrote:
I've been on MM for awhile (10 days longer than you wink ) and have noticed that. 

My main point was that when people bring up the "cliched photograph" issue, it's 1) inevitably hypocritical, 2) indicates some kind of superior attitude over other classes of images or photographers, and 3) reflects a lack of creativity.

And of course when one tries to start a brand new thread it is most often ignored. For example if you started a thread: How many of you have photographed a model on subway tracks? In the last 30 minutes I saw at least three pictures on the opening page right that had a woman on train tracks.
Alexwh

Oct 08 06 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

BillyT

Chicago, Illinois, US

Katherine Phoenix wrote:
so we can post them in our avitars and on myspace!!

Katherine is right. They won't let you put up nudes as an avatar and myspace won't let you either.

If anyone wants to take a look at some nice tits, check out Katherine's. Those are a really nice set.

Oct 08 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Since when does one pose stand for a style? It's a pose, that's all.

Oct 08 06 11:34 pm Link

Model

Krisha

New York, New York, US

i'm so glad this thread was started. i wondered myself but thought it was a dumb question. so weird how just covering the nipples prevents a photo from being "nude".

Oct 08 06 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jesse Richards

Montague, Massachusetts, US

implied nudity is one thing- but obviously hiding things makes the image too self-concious and therefore phony.

Oct 09 06 12:03 am Link

Photographer

StudioSeventeen

Laguna Beach, California, US

the reason they cover with their hands is

there is a cover charge in the United States if you want to see her topless

you have to PAY   $ $ $ $ $

: )

Oct 09 06 12:06 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Glamour Makeover Studio wrote:
who started this form of art, or is this art?

doubt be '' art '' very often
mostly be '''glamour''

if it were a shadow hiding part and a technically pro shot
it would be Art!!!

Oct 09 06 12:10 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:
Please, take a step back and stop being so snobbish.

The pose draws the distinction between what is allowed in mainstream American publications that are not considered nude, and what is not.

It's the difference between Maxim, which any pimply-faced 15 year-old can buy on the newsstand and Playboy, which he, for better or worse, can not.

Nipple and areola are considered nude. Covered, any amount of breast showing is considered non-nude for publication standards (note that I'm not making a legal distinction or even a codified distinction).

If you don't personally like the pose, fantastic. I, personally, hate clowns. But they seem to be popular at the circus. My problem, I suspect.

Quoted for truth.

Oct 09 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

BillyT wrote:
Katherine is right. They won't let you put up nudes as an avatar and myspace won't let you either.

If anyone wants to take a look at some nice tits, check out Katherine's. Those are a really nice set.

It's rare that on MM we have an artistic critique as erudite and in depth as BillyT's analysis.   I for one am impressed.

Oct 09 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

BillyT wrote:

Classy.

Oct 09 06 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

I'm not a fan of the hand over the breast. But I do believe that a sheer top can be sexier than bare breasted. There's nothing worse than airbrushing out a nipple on a sheer blouse. If you're gonna shoot something sexy and edgy, then go for it and own it. Otherwise it's just a weak attempt at trying to be edgy. Also, sexy is in the attitude. A bare body with a blank stare is not sexy.. it's just a naked body.

My two cents.. put it in the bank with a good intrest rate :-P

Oct 09 06 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

RGK Photography wrote:

Rick, you must not have much hair?  My arms are far more hairy than that! Her body hair is light, and that does not bother me in the least. I like the composition and the belly button piercing.  It's a nice example of the hand bra, but with a different perspective.  I think the model might have been teenaged back in 2003?   Never the less, I'd shoot with her in a heart beat!

Additional;  I'm about as hairy as Robin Williams!  That's just a little less hairy as an ape!  tongue

Oct 09 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Rick, you must not have much hair?  My arms are far more hairy than that! Her body hair is light, and that does not bother me in the least. I like the composition and the belly button piercing.  It's a nice example of the hand bra, but with a different perspective.  I think the model might have been teenaged back in 2003?   Never the less, I'd shoot with her in a heart beat!

Additional;  I'm about as hairy as Robin Williams!  That's just a little less hairy as an ape!  tongue

just fyi: the model was a week short of her 21st b-day when that was shot.  She's still tiny: 4'10"/93lbs/32A

Oct 09 06 12:41 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Anjel Britt wrote:

mostly be '''glamour''

it would be Art!!!

yes because inclusion/ lack of shadows define art.

Oct 09 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Anjel Britt wrote:
mostly be '''glamour''

it would be Art!!!

Ransom J wrote:
yes because inclusion/ lack of shadows define art.

That's right.  More shadows, the artier, right?  I can't afford to fuck this up at this point in my career.

Oct 09 06 12:54 am Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

DAMN.. I was about to start this very thread. As a model did this just yesterday. Makes me cringe whenever i see it.
  All these exquisite lovely sensual curves, and then this claw, crablike bony hand crawling over her breast, makes me ill to see it done. Just destroys the sensuality, and beauty of an image for me. Guess I just have a thing about hands.

Oct 09 06 02:25 am Link

Model

Sylvia_W

Paia, Hawaii, US

Maybe it just feels good! smile

Oct 09 06 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

I like boobs. They're pretty. Covered or not.

Oct 09 06 02:46 am Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, US

Man!  This thread made me go back to Janet Jackson on the cover of rolling stone in '93.  I know the shot had been done before, but (especially as a 13 year old boy at the time) that image really stood out to me.  Yeah it's been done before, and it'll be done again, but even a cliche concept can impact people.

Oct 09 06 11:01 am Link

Model

Phoenix12

Albany, New York, US

BillyT wrote:

Aw thanks,I have pretty eyes too if ya wanna check them out also!

Oct 09 06 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Not sure if the real answer was given to the OP or not as I couldn't get through most of this thread....

The reason you see a lot of that imagery is due to the rise of the lad mag (FHM, Stuff, Maxim, American Curves, Etc.) which in America does not shot breasts, or more accurately, does not show nipples.

It is truly stupid, however the stupidity does not usually stem from the photographer (if you look in my port you will see a shot like that from a recent magazine submission shoot) but rather from the "morals" of the country.  If you are shooting commercial glamour, this will be half your port (implied nude/tease material).

There are only so many ways to cover a nipple.....

Oct 09 06 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

I haven't read all of the posts in this thread so pardon me if I'm restating this, but maybe it is just a way for some models to hold the saggers up in place. smile

Oct 09 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

glamourandlight

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

What's the mystery? They do it for the same reasons that girls wear bikinis. Its alluring, yet mysterious. Sometimes, the preference would be full-on topless, but outside factors prohibit. Sometimes, the girl is kinda brave but not really brave. Same as the difference between topless and full nude, or fully clothed and topless.
Pointless thread, why did I bother replying?

Oct 09 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Marsh-Bogan Photography

Columbia, South Carolina, US

Paramour Productions wrote:
Not sure if the real answer was given to the OP or not as I couldn't get through most of this thread....

The reason you see a lot of that imagery is due to the rise of the lad mag (FHM, Stuff, Maxim, American Curves, Etc.) which in America does not shot breasts, or more accurately, does not show nipples.

It is truly stupid, however the stupidity does not usually stem from the photographer (if you look in my port you will see a shot like that from a recent magazine submission shoot) but rather from the "morals" of the country.  If you are shooting commercial glamour, this will be half your port (implied nude/tease material).

There are only so many ways to cover a nipple.....

Thanks for being open and honest!!!!!

Oct 09 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
It's rare that on MM we have an artistic critique as erudite and in depth as BillyT's analysis.   I for one am impressed.

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!  I just revisited this thread and spit Mountain Dew all over my keyboard....

Christopher Ambler said it best, and had I bothered to read the thread all the way the first time, I could have just quoted it.

As to the Shadow and technically correct = art, comment.  Yes and no.  I've seen a lot of "art" that is just shitty photography in B&W...  When shooting commercial glamour you need a certain amount of shadows but never too much and really it depends on the publication.  It is a genre unto it's own with it's own rules and standards just like any other.

As for the technically correct comment, not all glam shooters are inept with a camera.  Pick up any playboy and look at the centerfold.  You may not like the imagery or the style, you may not like the fact that it is the same basic formula time after time, but I assure you they are not put together sloppily...

By the way this is also why many shooting glam prefer shooting fake breasts.  It's not a personal preference, it just makes shooting implied glamour work easier.  I don't have it in my port yet, but there is another from the log cabin series with Nicole Valentine where the tails of her bandana just cover her nipples and in one instance she's holding the tails.  It's a typical cheesecake glamour shot, but it works.  It's far easier to do this with breasts that stay put than with breasts that don't.  Also, if you can't show the nipple and you still want a hot "topless" shot, you need more mass (preferably with a small areola, which also must be covered) fake breasts are easier to work with as they don't require support. If the breasts are large and natural and do require support, often the hand on the breasts is necessary unless using other clothing/props, which is sometimes easier said than done.

Oct 09 06 06:49 pm Link