Forums > General Industry > How to not be adorable

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

The majority of messages I get from people on this site say something along the lines of "Oh you're so adorable!!" or "Aww how cute!"

I don't want to be adorable, dammit!!!

I'm not a 12 year old pajama model, I'm a 20 year old doing alternative and fetish work! grrr! You aren't supposed to look at a picture of a girl tied up in fetishwear and think "I just want to hug her and squeeze her and give her fluffy bunnies. *snuggle*"

What is it? My size? I realize I'm small, but so are plenty of other people. Is it my hair? I always thought it was more punky than cute. Is it my fishnets, spike heels, and lack of clothing? Come on now. Is it the piercings? The electrical tape? The ladders?

I don't know what to do.

Someone, please, I'm begging, tell me how to not be adorable.

Aug 13 05 06:37 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Maybe it's the pinchable cheeks! sorry...

Don't worry, I get it too. smile It's a good thing.

Aug 13 05 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

you realize you're setting yourself up right? smile

Aug 13 05 06:40 pm Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

Todd Steinwart wrote:
you realize you're setting yourself up right? smile

*pout*

Aug 13 05 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nickels

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Try different expressions yours look too nice to me. I don't think that’s a bad thing but then I don't do this type of work.

Aug 13 05 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

IMO, it might be because you have a round face, which is accentuated by your short hair.  Growing your hair out longer might help.

Aug 13 05 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Baby face = Adorable.

Aug 13 05 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Sorry but your face is not for fetish or goth or alternative. It is, what it is. Work with it.

You have a cute face. Sorry.

Mark

Aug 13 05 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

nyx wrote:
The majority of messages I get from people on this site say something along the lines of "Oh you're so adorable!!" or "Aww how cute!"

I'm not a 12 year old pajama model, I'm a 20 year old doing alternative and fetish work! grrr! You aren't supposed to look at a picture of a girl tied up in fetishwear and think "I just want to hug her and squeeze her and give her fluffy bunnies. *snuggle*"

What is it? My size? I realize I'm small, but so are plenty of other people. Is it my hair? I always thought it was more punky than cute. Is it my fishnets, spike heels, and lack of clothing? Come on now. Is it the piercings? The electrical tape? The ladders?

I don't know what to do.

fluffy bunnies?  So what is a fluffy bunnies anyway?  bs

Aug 13 05 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

A former girlfriend of mine used to constantly complain about being regarded as "cute" instead of "sexy"... it drove her insane, yet never seemed to lessen her chances of a date on a friday night.

To translate that into the professional world, go with what you've got!

wink

Aug 13 05 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

In another 50 years, you're gonna be looking at some hot 24 year old guy who won't even remotely consider you as a sexual being and you'll wish that you were still considered cute.

Keep life in persepctive, darling......

It's a compliment. Go with it.

Aug 13 05 08:09 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I could change your name to Eric, and then you'll just THINK you're adorable...

Aug 13 05 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

theda wrote:

Ha!

Aug 13 05 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Delete This

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

nyx wrote:

Let me help.  I have viewed your images and don't find you to be "adorable" at all.  Your hair looks like a marine recruit reject, you're overweight for your height, your facial features are average (at best), and I see no potential for anything except fetish or other such work.

How's that?

Aug 13 05 08:24 pm Link

Model

Tanya O

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You just have a more cute look, than a badass one. You have a young face.

Work with what you got!

Aug 13 05 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

"You can't be what you were, so you better start being just what you are..."  -- Fugazi

I used to be a clean cut kid.
Now I'm a dirtbag.
I can't change the fact that I'm a dirtbag.
So I roll with it.
If you're "adorable", learn how to use it.
Because a nice girl trying to look like a vixen will always look like just that - a nice girl trying to look like a vixen.
Figure out how to use what you've got, because that's what you've got.
I know that sounds redundant... but fuck it.

Aug 13 05 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

theda wrote:

Aw, feel the love!

Aug 13 05 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

IndianaGlamour wrote:

Let me help.  I have viewed your images and don't find you to be "adorable" at all.  Your hair looks like a marine recruit reject, you're overweight for your height, your facial features are average (at best), and I see no potential for anything except fetish or other such work.

How's that?

Damn......

Thats called keeping it real.

Aug 13 05 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

nyx wrote:

I'm not a 12 year old pajama llama, I'm a 20 year old doing alternative and fetish work! grrr! You aren't supposed to look at a picture of a girl tied up in fetishwear and think "I just want to hug her and squeeze her and give her fluffy bunnies. *snuggle*"

I don't know what to do.

Shiii...I think you're sexy as hell!

Aug 14 05 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

nyx wrote:

Hang out in Shout when Cramer is there..
He will teach you...

(:------

Aug 14 05 01:35 am Link

Model

Kharizma

Concord, California, US

dayum you are so adorable smile

Aug 14 05 01:36 am Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

well lets just put it this way, being called cute is better than being called "okay" or even "ugly" not that you are cause your not....I think your cute....sorry.....:-

Aug 14 05 01:39 am Link

Photographer

PF Paul

San Francisco, California, US

Well, your face is "cute" in terms of its shape.  It's round, you look a bit young.  My suggestion would be to have more work done with dramatic makeup that pulls away from the youthful chubbiness of your face.  So far, it seems that the majority of your shoots emphasize drama only in the clothing and lighting but your face seems untouched - so actually experimenting with some makeup that matches the outfits and the mood you're going for may help.

Aug 14 05 01:46 am Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

well-i think in the feild of llamaling you mainly work in-your "cuteness" is valueable.  everyone can be a "vixen"-and people are always looking for something different.
just be yourself.

Aug 14 05 01:52 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Wellllllll... you got, like, P E R F E C T "ta-tas" and a damn sexy little tum as well. Nothng much wrong with your legs and butt either.

But, then again, that's just my opinion.

Studio36

Aug 14 05 02:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

Firefaery

Merrillville, Indiana, US

If you really want to change your look, and see what happens....grab yourself a GOOD make-up artist and play....see what you guys come up with......

Aug 14 05 02:26 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Firefaery wrote:
grab yourself a GOOD make-up artist and play....

Got a point there Firefaery. A masterpiece just waiting for the finishing touches.

Studio36

Aug 14 05 02:33 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

PF Paul wrote:
Well, your face is "cute" in terms of its shape.  It's round, you look a bit young.  My suggestion would be to have more work done with dramatic makeup that pulls away from the youthful chubbiness of your face.  So far, it seems that the majority of your shoots emphasize drama only in the clothing and lighting but your face seems untouched - so actually experimenting with some makeup that matches the outfits and the mood you're going for may help.

Paul's got it right.

The shape of your face is what is probably doing it.  Hell, I have the same problem, too, sometimes.

I'd suggest (besides the makeup thing), try playing with wigs-- longer hair, and more that frames your face, will have give the illusion of different shapes.

Good luck and have fun. big_smile

Aug 14 05 02:35 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Hugh  Jorgen wrote:
Hang out in Shout when Cramer is there..

Very true.

He's part of that 10k shout box post club I can only aspire to.

Aug 14 05 02:44 am Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

IndianaGlamour wrote:

How's that?

You're so sweet!

Aug 14 05 11:46 am Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

PF Paul wrote:

I think that might be a good idea. I honestly am not a big fan of makeup, and normally wear as little as possible. A friend has done makeup for me on a few occasions, but it wasn't all that dramatic.

Any suggestions or ideas?
(...what shades go well with pale skin, blue eyes, and purple hair?)

Aug 14 05 11:48 am Link

Model

Mistress Purgatori

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I just think you need to GET OVER IT.work w/ what you got girl.
and personally I find you attractive but I do not find you "cute" or "adorable".

I'm 24 almost 25 yet in person ppl always think I'm 16 yrs old(trying having dirty old men and jailbait boys

Aug 14 05 12:04 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

IndianaGlamour wrote:

How's that?

Overweight for her height?!?!? Welcome to Planet Anorexia!!! I'm not going to say anything else save that she's certainly not overweight.  Not a thin body, no.  However, you can even see her obliques in one image, you don't see 'em in large ladies.
As for you: yes, your facial shape is why people call you adorable (people often say the same about me because of my little nose and rounded lips...but I have a hard bone structure so depending on lighting I can be cutesy or not).  However, you can counter that with a longer, more flattering "sex kitten" hairstyle, dramatic makeup, more defined brows, and good lighting.  Even facial contouring to bring out your cheekbones and nose (learn how to do this in Kevyn Aucoin's "Making Faces," I've seen girls it really worked for!).  Hope that helps!

Aug 14 05 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

nyx wrote:

Carry a chainsaw. If someone calls you the A-WORD start it and just STARE at them. Wear RACOON-EYE makeup. Learn to hide a blood capsule in your cheek and drool blood.

I think you'd be SLAMMIN'!!!

GWC!

Aug 14 05 09:37 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

IndianaGlamour wrote:

How's that?

That's just damn harsh and uncalled for. I hope by all means you were being sarcastic. Picking apart someone just to get a laugh is truly pathetic. She was asking a serious question and I think she deserves a little respect.

Aug 14 05 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Delete This

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Envy wrote:

That's just damn harsh and uncalled for. I hope by all means you were being sarcastic. Picking apart someone just to get a laugh is truly pathetic. She was asking a serious question and I think she deserves a little respect.

And I think you need to grow up.  Welcome to the real world.

Aug 14 05 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Gary

Redford, Michigan, US

nyx wrote:
"I just want to hug her and squeeze her and give her fluffy bunnies. *snuggle*"

mmmmm, maybe what will change there mind can be what you do to the fluffy bunny after they give it to you. mmm sounds like an idea for a shot.

Aug 14 05 10:23 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Grow up?
Who is tearing apart someones self image just to feel superior here?
Sounds like highschool to me.

Aug 14 05 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Tuesday Rene

FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky, US

https://www.angelfire.com/fang/impalaskunkworks/junk/thumbnails/400x300/buckleup.jpg

Aug 14 05 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Tuesday Rene wrote:
https://www.angelfire.com/fang/impalaskunkworks/junk/thumbnails/400x300/buckleup.jpg

This thread is turning out to not be adorable.

Aug 14 05 10:55 pm Link