Forums > General Industry > How to not be adorable

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

Envy wrote:

That's just damn harsh and uncalled for. I hope by all means you were being sarcastic. Picking apart someone just to get a laugh is truly pathetic. She was asking a serious question and I think she deserves a little respect.

If it's any consolation, I thought it was funny.
Of course, I do have a slightly warped sense of humor.

Aug 15 05 09:28 am Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

So, in summary, my face is too round, my hair is too short, and I need makeup...

The shape of my face I don't think I could really change without a sledgehammer. As for growing my hair longer, it looks horrible. If it looked good, I'd have longer hair, but I suppose I could always experiment with wigs. Makeup I'll have to start working on. Any advice on colors?

Aug 15 05 09:37 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dagnabbit. Sorry Nyx. I was looking at your legs when I made my previous comment about you looking sexy as hell. Let me take a look at your port real quick to see your face...um...

Well, you definitely have a baby face smile

Aug 15 05 09:47 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

nyx wrote:
If it's any consolation, I thought it was funny.
Of course, I do have a slightly warped sense of humor.

By reading your comment I kinda confirmed that you were not offended, however a constructive assessment would have been a better approach.

Do you know any MUA's in your area that may be up for doing a TFP to use in their portfolio? This way you can someone who may be able to suggest what would look best for your features.

Did you contact Ezekiel by the way?

Aug 15 05 10:02 am Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

Envy wrote:
Do you know any MUA's in your area that may be up for doing a TFP to use in their portfolio? This way you can someone who may be able to suggest what would look best for your features.

Did you contact Ezekiel by the way?

I can't think of any local MUAs off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are some around.

(Any MUAs here from the Pittsburgh area?)

Yes, I have contacted Ezekiel, he left me some great critiques on images.

Aug 15 05 10:17 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
Sorry but your face is not for fetish or goth or alternative. It is, what it is. Work with it.

You have a cute face. Sorry.

Mark

u really have a baby face and thats good for when u r older...seriously u are  very unusual person but u look like a schoolgal - so play on it! u dont look at all alternative and goth etc but when u are old thin bitter and haughty covered in shadows and eyeliner... it might work

4 now - I would cash in on pyjama modelling!!
xox

Aug 15 05 11:01 am Link

Photographer

s. jenx

Morton, Pennsylvania, US

nyx wrote:
The majority of messages I get from people on this site say something along the lines of "Oh you're so adorable!!" or "Aww how cute!"

I don't want to be adorable, dammit!!!

I'm not a 12 year old pajama model, I'm a 20 year old doing alternative and fetish work! grrr! You aren't supposed to look at a picture of a girl tied up in fetishwear and think "I just want to hug her and squeeze her and give her fluffy bunnies. *snuggle*"

What is it? My size? I realize I'm small, but so are plenty of other people. Is it my hair? I always thought it was more punky than cute. Is it my fishnets, spike heels, and lack of clothing? Come on now. Is it the piercings? The electrical tape? The ladders?

I don't know what to do.

Someone, please, I'm begging, tell me how to not be adorable.

you want to not be adorable?...work with me...

Aug 15 05 11:10 am Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

s. jenx wrote:
you want to not be adorable?...work with me...

So instead of looking like an adorable 12 year old, you can make me look like a dead 12 year old?
Hotte. smile

Aug 15 05 01:17 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

nyx wrote:
I can't think of any local MUAs off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are some around.

(Any MUAs here from the Pittsburgh area?)

Yes, I have contacted Ezekiel, he left me some great critiques on images.

Try using the browse feature on MM to find an MUA. If you don't have any luck there ask around your friends and see if any of your girlfriends or guy friends for that matter are any good at doing makeup. Offer them some sort of bartering if you can't afford to pay them.

I really want to see you work with Ezekiel , I bet he could set you up with some interesting images to use on your portfolio and lessen that "adorable" look you are so worried about.

Aug 15 05 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

I always say a woman can be a real bitch, if she wants to be. Try harder, it's already built in!

Aug 15 05 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

nyx wrote:
I don't know what to do.

Someone, please, I'm begging, tell me how to not be adorable.

Ask Theda!!! :-)

Aug 15 05 08:46 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

IndianaGlamour wrote:

Let me help.  I have viewed your images and don't find you to be "adorable" at all.  Your hair looks like a marine recruit reject, you're overweight for your height, your facial features are average (at best), and I see no potential for anything except fetish or other such work.

How's that?

Holy smokes!

Aug 15 05 08:55 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

nyx wrote:
So, in summary, my face is too round, my hair is too short, and I need makeup...

The shape of my face I don't think I could really change without a sledgehammer. As for growing my hair longer, it looks horrible. If it looked good, I'd have longer hair, but I suppose I could always experiment with wigs. Makeup I'll have to start working on. Any advice on colors?

Go to your local used bookstore and pick up a Kevin Aucoin book and look in there. Of course, if you are looking for fetish stuff, go to the local bookstore and pick up a magazine. Go look online and research different make-up and technique. If it really matters and you have some cash to spare: get a professional make-up artist to help out.

I think you have good features that can be hot, cute and sexy, you just have to experiment a little to see what you can get away with. But I think you're hot.

This from a chick who has ONE look...

Aug 15 05 09:00 pm Link

Model

Roethke

Long Beach, California, US

I get that often too.  Just live with it and work with what you got.

Also, find a good local MUA or experiment yourself with some makeup.  Take a few hours and try out different colors and different looks.  Check some makeup books out from the library and give them a good read.

Aug 15 05 09:08 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Yeah, makeup is pretty much Completely Necessary if you're going to model.

My two recommendations:

* If you're inclined to learn yourself, buy some of Kevin Aucoin's books.  You can probably find them for okay prices on half.com.

I do almost my own makeup.  I own a set of decent brushes, foundation that matches my skintone, powder for de-shining, bronzer (instead of blush), mascara, liquid eyeliner, pencil eyeliner, fake eyelashes, and a TON of various eyeshadows. 

Sephora is a great one-stop place for makeup shopping.

Almost everything I've learned I've either gotten from Kevin Aucoin's books or are looks stolen from friends / magazines / actresses.

* If you'd rather not bother with all that, find yourself some MUAs willing to work on a TFP/TFCD basis (and make sure the photographer is also cool with that since s/he'll be providing the photos).  Sites like this are good places to post casting calls, but you might get more responses from something like craigslist.org.

Aug 16 05 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I think you're cute as hell and would love to photograph you if you ever get to Nebraska...I agree that make-up can be used to make you look older or "less cute" if you so desire.

As someone who got carded into my 30's, I can appreciate how you feel at the moment. However it's now fun to have people guess I'm in my mid-30's rather than 43...

Aug 16 05 05:56 pm Link