Forums > General Industry > People who think models just have to stand there..

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

CareLyn Anita wrote:
Yup , i just stand there.... not much to offer here, Jessalyn too ( i have had the pleasure of watching herestand there after watching climbs through rocks and wet sand in spike heels) ....pffft... whatever....

My friend shoots Eureka and Electrolux vacuums and his models not only have to stand there, they have to smile, too! LOL

CareLyn damned sure does more than just stand there.  Look at all of the things we ask her to do! One of the hardest working models I know.

Oct 08 06 12:36 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Oct 08 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
I've never had to help set up the lights before.  :0(.
But I'll take your advice.  Haha.

Personally, for a three hour shot - both the model and I work out butts off!  I usually spend an hour or so getting the set ready, lights adjusted, back drops hung with care, props in place, and of course getting the cookies and model releases ready.

Once we start shooting, if the model moves too much (like goes from standing to sitting), then it's readjust lighting, back drops, and props.  The model, of course, has contorted her/himself into all sorts of positions that just make me hurt watching him/her.  In the end, we're both tired but excited becasue we made art.

My work is most easy with an experienced model who understands that art is created from a cooperative effort on both parties part.  An experienced model generally is thinking ahead and my job is to catch up and make sure the image is captured before the model begins something else.  The technical part take more energy with an experienced model, but direction is at a minimum.

When I shoot with a new model, it's the reverse. Much more direction, more of 'me' goes into the final product, but less technical lighting working is involved. Less experienced models generally stay put in the best light until told to move.

After a three hour shot, it's not uncommon for me to spend at least 3 more hours finding the best of the best images, editing them to size, post production work, any photoshop that's required, and such.  So, a three hour shot usually is at least a 6 hour work effort for me.

But, it's all good ... it's art after all, and we're all in this together to create the best images we can.  If it wasn't for all the hard work on both our parts, we'd probably be selling point-and-shoots at Target or MAC products at Nordstrom.

/tim

Oct 08 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Catriona wrote:

In conclusion, bite me.

ROTFWL .... I like your style! /tim

Oct 08 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
People who think models just have to stand there..

i've heard that before ... and always take a stand for the talent who works with me! i remember, for example, one cold February morning we were doing a beach set, model in bikini, to get the right lead time for publishing. the model was a real trooper, never complained; worked like a total professional in the given conditions. totally earned her check ... and my respect!

FML

Oct 08 06 12:50 am Link

Photographer

TheLoftStudios

Houston, Texas, US

This just kills me.....LOL

LOOK PEOPLE, NOTHING THAT WE (photographers or models) DO IS HARD.
IF YOU THINK IT'S HARD, THEN IT'S BECAUSE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT. (lighting and/or posing)
WHAT WE DO MAY BE TIME CONSUMING OR IT MAY TAKE SOME THOUGHT INTO DOING IT
.....BUT IT'S NOT HARD.

TRY CONSTRUCTION WORK.....NOW THAT'S HARD.

Oct 08 06 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Richard Dubois wrote:

Selecting the correct ISO is VERY demanding.  I'm charging more...

Selecting the wrong ISO can be VERY demanding too. For some strange reason I shot some excellent images outdoors couple weeks ago, and I had the ISO sat at 400 ... overexposed some seriously great images. I'm glad I caught it and dropped it back to 100.  Now, screwing up a whole shot because the camera is not set right is stressful and models tend to get demaning when they want to see their images but they're washed out. ;/

Oct 08 06 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Urban Eclipse Studio wrote:

IF YOU THINK IT'S HARD, THEN IT'S BECAUSE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT. (lighting and/or posing)
.....BUT IT'S NOT HARD.

Can someone translate this for me? Here's what I read: "I'M TOO DUMB TO FIGURE OUT THE CAPS LOCK KEY." Is that pretty close?

Oct 08 06 02:38 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

.....BUT IT'S NOT HARD.

Okay.

What if I have to hike three miles in thick forest, uphill, to get to the perfect spot, where the shoot is, and then the photographer wants me to hold unnatural, uncomfortable poses for about five minutes at a time?  That's what I'm being paid for, so that's what I do.  I know a lot about posing, but if a photographer is paying me to pose the way s/he wants me to it, even if it is unnatural and difficult, I do it.
That's not as hard as working construction, no.  But it's worth charging 5 more dollars an hour than I would for studio work or something.

I'm sure you, as a photographer, can think of similar scenarios where your job is harder than usual.

..Oh crap!  I was supposed to leave for good.

Oct 08 06 02:44 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

CareLyn Anita wrote:
Yup , i just stand there.... not much to offer here, Jessalyn too ( i have had the pleasure of watching herestand there after watching climbs through rocks and wet sand in spike heels) ....pffft... whatever....

Yeah, you guys stood in some pretty precarious spots! And Jessie's heels were 4" high -- not for the faint of heart.

Not to mention it was very cold and very windy and you two weren't exactly dressed for it. That's where I'm always most impressed, when a model dresses (or undresses) inappropriately for the weather at hand.

It's 57 degrees right now. Three hours ago (just before midnight), I was working with a model outside. I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and got a bit chilly when the wind blew. She was wearing nothing at all and didn't complain. It was her first nude shoot, too!

Models can be pretty tough. smile

Oct 08 06 02:45 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

You get many more shots with an experienced model who know how to pose!!

Oct 08 06 05:53 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

CareLyn Anita wrote:

i do things like that when neccessary, location scouting and conceptual direction as well if need be.

You wouldn't happen to do windows as well would you? LOL

Oct 08 06 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

.....BUT IT'S NOT HARD.

Nothing in nothing out..?

Oct 08 06 07:54 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Vegas Alien wrote:

My friend shoots Eureka and Electrolux vacuums and his models not only have to stand there, they have to smile, too! LOL

CareLyn damned sure does more than just stand there.  Look at all of the things we ask her to do! One of the hardest working models I know.

Aw  thanks Mr. Vegas Alien , knowing a creative mind on the other side of the lens really helps!!!!

Oct 08 06 08:07 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
You wouldn't happen to do windows as well would you? LOL

I've considered it..... but my way was much more creative than most!!!

Due to possible legal implications I do not clean or fondle lenses either...

Oct 08 06 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Just what I needed, another pointless MM rant-thread to start my day. No really I mean it...I love these..

He said she said..bit me..eat me..blah blah blah..

Pay me..no..you pay me!

LMAO

Wait, my ego has something to say..

wait for it..wait for it..

I am so glad I dont have to pay smug smart ass upstart wanna be models. As a matter of fact TFP is so easy to come by and is a bit of a side hobby. I shoot to get paid...and paid I do..BY CLIENTS not models. My clients pay the models and or actors. All these internet models are pure comedy...

Ego done talking..LMAO

Geeesh, that was refreshing..somebody hit me up when the next battle breaks out.

:-)

Oct 08 06 08:18 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Vance wrote:
Just what I needed, another pointless MM rant-thread to start my day. No really I mean it...I love these..

He said she said..bit me..eat me..blah blah blah..

Pay me..no..you pay me!

LMAO

Wait, my ego has something to say..

wait for it..wait for it..

I am so glad I dont have to pay smug smart ass upstart wanna be models. As a matter of fact TFP is so easy to come by and is a bit of a side hobby. I shoot to get paid...and paid I do..BY CLIENTS not models. My clients pay the models and or actors. All these internet models are pure comedy...

Ego done talking..LMAO

Geeesh, that was refreshing..somebody hit me up when the next battle breaks out.

:-)

Oh you are a fiesty one aren't cha... good morning Vance , how's your day goin? Don't hold back!!!!

Oct 08 06 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

CareLyn Anita wrote:

Oh you are a fiesty one aren't cha... good morning Vance , how's your day goin? Don't hold back!!!!

Girl, dont get me started....LMAO..
Been busy with production..Been on MM here and there.Today I come on and it's like a soap opera.

If it wasnt for my peeps like you who know whats up..I'd really lay into some of these knuckle heads and get banned on purpose. Alas, I have friends here, so I must hold back. LMAO...

Much Love..

xoxoxo

Oct 08 06 08:28 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

A little spice is good , keeps the blood flowin'....

Have a great day Vance!!! smile

Oct 08 06 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Tied And Taped

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

My models rarely have to stand.  They do most of their posing sitting or laying down.

Sorry.  Couldn't resist.

Oct 08 06 08:42 am Link

Photographer

James Bluck

Westfield, New Jersey, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
Okay, I'm abandoning my own thread now.

Smart move.

Oct 08 06 08:44 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

.....BUT IT'S NOT HARD.

I have built houses worked on cars and done all kinds of laborious work....
It is not the same kind of exhuastion but modelling ,is laborious as well , especially of a shoot is emotionally charged.... falling in and out of different emotional charachter while posing is not easy....
of couse this is my experience as a art / fetish model.

This is not a complaint either , it is well worth it....
This is the only work I currently do where think "I may want to get a tetanus shot before I do this or model there or climb over that , but i do it anyways , it's what I do".

Oct 08 06 08:52 am Link

Model

Caroline Ann Martin

Williamsport, Pennsylvania, US

I so agree with Carelyn!  I am a personal trainer and work my butt off (and have the muscles and tone to prove it), but I can tell you that some of my modeling shoots have riveled a full workout. Some of the poses are NOT easy and to hold them is NOT easy and can be VERY physically challenging.

Oct 08 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

TheLoftStudios

Houston, Texas, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:
Can someone translate this for me? Here's what I read: "I'M TOO DUMB TO FIGURE OUT THE CAPS LOCK KEY." Is that pretty close?

I used THE CAPS to emphasize my STATEMENT.....You used THE CAPS to show how much of an IDIOT you are!!!

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
What if I have to hike three miles in thick forest, uphill, to get to the perfect spot, where the shoot is, and then the photographer wants me to hold unnatural, uncomfortable poses for about five minutes at a time?  That's what I'm being paid for, so that's what I do.  I know a lot about posing, but if a photographer is paying me to pose the way s/he wants me to it, even if it is unnatural and difficult, I do it.
That's not as hard as working construction, no.  But it's worth charging 5 more dollars an hour than I would for studio work or something.

I'm sure you, as a photographer, can think of similar scenarios where your job is harder than usual.

..Oh crap!  I was supposed to leave for good.

Hiking 3 miles in thick forest would be pretty strenuous, but are those the type of assignments that you have on a daily basis?  Probably not!  An assignment here and there may require some "Hard Work", but looking at your Portfolio, I'm sure that if you really think about it, it's more fun than work.  And if you have to hold a 5 minutes pose for a photographer.....then he has other issues, such as what I stated before, he's unsure of what he's doing.  And, the hardest thing I really do is unpack my equipment, set it up, and pack it up again.....In my opinion, that's just not hard work!

my 2cents.....

Oct 08 06 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

I can teach any model who trusts me and inspires me with her beauty how to give me great looks.  But yeah- I totally agree that its so much fun to work with a model who knows how to serve it and gives back energy.

Oct 08 06 10:23 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:

I used THE CAPS to emphasize my STATEMENT.....You used THE CAPS to show how much of an IDIOT you are!!!

Hiking 3 miles in thick forest would be pretty strenuous, but are those the type of assignments that you have on a daily basis?  Probably not!  An assignment here and there may require some "Hard Work", but looking at your Portfolio, I'm sure that if you really think about it, it's more fun than work.  And if you have to hold a 5 minutes pose for a photographer.....then he has other issues, such as what I stated before, he's unsure of what he's doing.  And, the hardest thing I really do is unpack my equipment, set it up, and pack it up again.....In my opinion, that's just not hard work!

my 2cents.....

Yes, it is a lot of fun.  But if I am getting paid, I have to decide upon a rate for the shoot.  I have had to hike around in the hot sun or pose nude in the cold air a lot, actually.  And like mentioned above, it's emotional strenuous, too.  And holding a pose for five minutes.. Well, maybe you're right about the "photographer not knowing what he's doing," but I do this for money.  Just like photographers rarely help build a model's portfolio for free, I don't either.  But I wouldn't turn down the offer for at least mild compensation.

It can be hard work.  It's fun hard work, but it's hard work. 

I am not complaining about it being hard or saying that it sucks or anything, I'm just saying that I put a lot into it and if someone is paying me, I charge depending on that among other things.

Oct 08 06 12:36 pm Link

Model

e-string

Stephen Melvin wrote:

my 2cents.....

I smell a troll

Oct 08 06 12:40 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Caroline Ann Martin wrote:
I so agree with Carelyn!  I am a personal trainer and work my butt off (and have the muscles and tone to prove it), but I can tell you that some of my modeling shoots have riveled a full workout. Some of the poses are NOT easy and to hold them is NOT easy and can be VERY physically challenging.

Mmhmm, I know what you mean.

Oct 08 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

TheLoftStudios

Houston, Texas, US

e-string wrote:
I smell a troll

Sorry, but I'm internet illiterate.....what does this mean?

Oct 10 06 07:24 pm Link

Model

e-string

Sorry, but I'm internet illiterate.....what does this mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Oct 10 06 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Fun Stuff Photography

Fremont, California, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:

Yeah, you guys stood in some pretty precarious spots! And Jessie's heels were 4" high -- not for the faint of heart.
Models can be pretty tough. smile

What do they say about Ginger Rogers? She did everything Fred Astaire did only backwards and in high heels!

I'm going with models having the tougher job.

sw

Oct 10 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

TheLoftStudios

Houston, Texas, US

e-string wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Ha-Ha-Ha.....at what point was I a Troll?

I'm having a debate whereby hopefully my beliefs are respected and I have respected others.  I just have a strong stand on this subject.....WHAT WE DO MOST OF THE TIME IS NOT HARD WORK!  I haven't been rude or off-topic.  If I annoy U, simply go to another thread.  And if U're refering to the person I called "Idiot".....he is!  He always post some smart remark when "anyone" uses CAPS!  I think it must be a Pet-Peeve of his.....oh well.  And the definition of Troll also states, ".....of calling others trolls."

So what does that make U?

Oct 10 06 08:20 pm Link