Forums > General Industry > People who think models just have to stand there..

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Gotta love 'em.  Especially if they have no idea what's going on. :0/.

Me:  My rates depend on a lot of things - How hard of a job it is; Genre; Photo usage; If I will get copies; How broke the photographer is, etc.

Photographer: OK now i have a few more questions if u don't mind...lol sorry. ummm. what u mean by how hard it is.... all u have to do really is pose don't u? photo usage meaning digital or film? is that what u mean?

Oct 07 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

Me:  My rates depend on a lot of things - How hard of a job it is; Genre; Photo usage; If I will get copies; How broke the photographer is, etc.

Photographer: OK now i have a few more questions if u don't mind...lol sorry. ummm. what u mean by how hard it is.... all u have to do really is pose don't u? photo usage meaning digital or film? is that what u mean?

Language barrier?

Oct 07 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

posing isnt hard if its only for 1 pic  , i know what you mean.  i pose models for 200+  pics and they are ready to pass out, i shoot film so i havto be picky.   an 8 hour shoot is like 3 , 8 hour shifts at a cash register easy.

Oct 07 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Don't forget if you have to set up the lights too charge double your normal rate...
wink

Oct 07 06 09:55 pm Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

"But modeling is easy/not really work" seems to be the classic photographer excuse for "Why I shouldn't have to pay you/pay you very much." I mean, the photographer has to stand there for hours turning knobs and adjusting lights while staring at a beautiful girl! You should be paying him!

Oct 07 06 09:58 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
Language barrier?

Sadly, no.

He told me his age [22] at the end of the e-mail, like that was his excuse for not understanding model/photographer "lingo."

Oct 07 06 09:59 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Experimental Photoworks wrote:
Don't forget if you have to set up the lights too charge double your normal rate...
wink

I've never had to help set up the lights before.  :0(.
But I'll take your advice.  Haha.

Oct 07 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

Oct 07 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

KaoS GRaFFiX

Sunbury, Pennsylvania, US

I've worked with a lot of models who think they just need to stand there. You tell them to do a facial expression or pose in very specific way and they act like your too demanding.

Oct 07 06 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Well, as a photographer I know modeling isn't easy. The stuff I've asked models to do isn't really that bad, but it does take it's toll. I've been very fortunate in the quality of people I've worked with and the dedication they've had to the projects we've done. The winter faerie photos wouldn't have been possible without a highly dedicated and fearless model (E-String). It wasn't comfortable for her -- it was around 28 degrees that day and the crew had the advantage of being able to wear coats. She never complained, and we got some amazing photos with her. The last model I worked with flew herself from San Fransisco and we spent four days shooting in very poor conditions. It was cold, raining, cloudy... Her toe even went numb during one of the sessions. But she never complained and did a fantastic job. And it was her very first photo session; needless to say I was very impressed. So, I know what models do and what they put up with to get that perfect shot. And I greatly appreciate their dedication and desire to create along with the photographer. I will never under-rate a model; their work isn't easy and it's a hell of a lot more than just "standing around."

Because of my broke nature I can't afford to pay models. If I could I certainly would, but right now it just isn't possible. But TFCD can be a very good arrangement if I'm working on something that will help their book or it's a project they're interested in doing. Maybe one day I'll be in a position where I can pay models for their time and effort.

Models rock.

-P-

Oct 07 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

I can't emphasize enough how much of a difference an experienced model
adds to an image.

Robert

Oct 07 06 10:08 pm Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

FosbreStudios wrote:
We have to use our brains. You try making sure the camera settings are correct....much more than pushing the shutter button honey.

We have to use our brains. You try making sure you're posing to show yourself in the best light, expressing emotion and holding those faces and/or difficult poses for several minutes while the photographer sets up the shot, often doing your own hair and makeup...much more than just standing there, "honey."

Oct 07 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

[

Oct 07 06 10:12 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

All of this badmouthing is unecessary.
I agree that the job of a photographer is also hard.  I wasn't saying that models do more than photographers do.

But, this guy contacted me about hiring me.  He asked me what my rate was without giving me any information about the project/shoot he wanted to do together, so this was the conversation to follow.

Oct 07 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

Oct 07 06 10:15 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

FosbreStudios wrote:
Ok, i forgive you smile

I don't understand what it was in the first place that needed forgiven.
But, okay. smile.

Oct 07 06 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

I do both and both take a lot of brain power.
No one model/photographer is more important than the other.

Oct 07 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

Oct 07 06 10:17 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

FosbreStudios wrote:

It was sounding like that you were making it like photographers, all they have to do is sit there and turn knobs and buttons...and just basically "snap a shot", which would be believed is a "piece of cake". But it's so much deeper than that. Just wanted to let models know..it's the whole set up of getting "one" picture done.

Oh, well I never said anything like that. 

But I appreciate your clearing things up in case any of the people reading this were under that impression.

Oct 07 06 10:20 pm Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

FosbreStudios wrote:
Ok, honey, but she's making it sound like all we have to do is turn knobs and push buttons..that's not all it is "honey".
We have to make sure we're in the correct ISO, which you probably don't even know what that is. Make sure aperarture is correct, shutter speed, flash, up a stop, down a stop, what type of lens in the situation, and there's probably hundreds more that i can say, that we have to adjust, just to take "one" photo, "honey".

Wow, you're an asshole.
Neither Wynd nor I said that photography is "easy," and yes, I know what ISO settings are, as a) I work professionally in the photo industry and b) I was a photographer years before I ever took up modeling.
I was being facetious - I just find it offensive when photographers act as though, because modeling doesn't look hard, it must not really be work.
My point was that to someone looking from the outside, photography doesn't look hard, either, even though anyone who has done it can tell you it is.
In conclusion, bite me.

Oct 07 06 10:20 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Catriona wrote:

Wow, you're an asshole.
Neither Wynd nor I said that photography is "easy," and yes, I know what ISO settings are, as a) I work professionally in the photo industry and b) I was a photographer years before I ever took up modeling.
I was being facetious - I just find it offensive when photographers act as though, because modeling doesn't look hard, it must not really be work.
My point was that to someone looking from the outside, photography doesn't look hard, either, even though anyone who has done it can tell you it is.
In conclusion, bite me.

I understood what you meant and thought it was funny.
Things go over a lot of peoples' heads in the forums, though.  :0/.

Oct 07 06 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

Oct 07 06 10:30 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Okay, I'm abandoning my own thread now.

Oct 07 06 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Flame on... Or, maybe we should follow Wynd's example and let this thing die.

Oct 07 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

darkfotoart wrote:
posing isnt hard if its only for 1 pic  , i know what you mean.  i pose models for 200+  pics and they are ready to pass out, i shoot film so i havto be picky.   an 8 hour shoot is like 3 , 8 hour shifts at a cash register easy.

That would depend on the pose and some other things, but she didn't say how hard the pose was, she said 'how hard of a job it is'.

Classic fashion/commercial scenario: winterwear, with coat, hat, earmuffs and all bundled up in the cool summer month of July. Or swimwear at the beach in December or January.

Art scenes involving dangerous items (such as this one with barbed wire (Nudity)), or difficult-to-get-to areas, or tricky scenarios like underwater work are all more difficult per shot.

Oct 07 06 10:36 pm Link

Model

Danica Lee

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Wow. Talk about not being able to take a joke.

(As for your OP, Wynnd - A fair response would be "My lay there like a corpse rate is $$" wink)

Oct 07 06 10:39 pm Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

FosbreStudios wrote:
And you look double your age too....so sad...you drink much??? Wait til youre 35, you'll look like you're 50.

Basic math lesson:
I am 25.
25 x 2 = 50
35 x 2 = 70
Letting this die now.

Oct 07 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

U240Robert wrote:
I can't emphasize enough how much of a difference an experienced model
adds to an image. Robert

i disagree amatuer models can do very well , its how hard the models work and how well they listen.  ive walked off shoots with pro models , and got awesome images of a 9yo .

Oct 07 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Kevin Connery wrote:

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

That would depend on the pose and some other things, but she didn't say how hard the pose was, she said 'how hard of a job it is'.

Classic fashion/commercial scenario: winterwear, with coat, hat, earmuffs and all bundled up in the cool summer month of July. Or swimwear at the beach in December or January.

Art scenes involving dangerous items (such as this one with barbed wire (Nudity)), or difficult-to-get-to areas, or tricky scenarios like underwater work are all more difficult per shot.

good point ill havto remember that , thanks

Oct 07 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jordan Hamilton May

Lake Forest, California, US

There is a huge difference between a girl that likes to get her picture taken and a model. Most girls these days are not the later. Get it? Because you think you can pose doesnt mean you are posing correctly for each type of shot. Same goes for photographers versus GWCs.

I wish more girls would stop calling themselves models and more guys would stop calling themselves photographers.

Oct 07 06 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Jordan May wrote:
There is a huge difference between a girl that likes to get her picture taken and a model. Most girls these days are not the later. Get it? Because you think you can pose doesnt mean you are posing correctly for each type of shot. Same goes for photographers versus GWCs.

I wish more girls would stop calling themselves models and more guys would stop calling themselves photographers.

the only problem is most people dont understand pictures have a audiance.  my headshots of kids are well loved , my other work varies , im a photographer because of what im best at not because of the bulk of my work.     a model can be great but only usefull in one area.

Oct 07 06 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jordan Hamilton May

Lake Forest, California, US

darkfotoart wrote:

the only problem is most people dont understand pictures have a audiance.  my headshots of kids are well loved , my other work varies , im a photographer because of what im best at not because of the bulk of my work.     a model can be great but only usefull in one area.

I agree with you completely and that adds to my previous point. I am not the know it all of how to determine if someone is a true model or photographer but I think we all know obviously who is and isnt for the most part. I think we all experiement in areas we arent known for and thats part of life and growing. I guess im just sick and tired of reading girls profiles commanding huge rates with camphone pics in their port. lol

Oct 07 06 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

FosbreStudios wrote:
Ok, honey, but she's making it sound like all we have to do is turn knobs and push buttons..that's not all it is "honey".
We have to make sure we're in the correct ISO, which you probably don't even know what that is.

Selecting the correct ISO is VERY demanding.  I'm charging more...

Oct 07 06 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Selecting the correct ISO is VERY demanding.  I'm charging more...

you mean there is another choice than 160   ,wow learn something new every day

Oct 07 06 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

Experimental Photoworks wrote:
wink

I've had models help me with swapping backgrounds. I even had a model help build the set.

Oct 08 06 12:01 am Link

Photographer

jZERO

Miami, Florida, US

Jordan May wrote:

I agree with you completely and that adds to my previous point. I am not the know it all of how to determine if someone is a true model or photographer but I think we all know obviously who is and isnt for the most part. I think we all experiement in areas we arent known for and thats part of life and growing. I guess im just sick and tired of reading girls profiles commanding huge rates with camphone pics in their port. lol

I have to agree. I have found more than one "model" in my area alone, with cell shots and "my BF has a camera" shots with "paid assignments only." A beautiful face or body does NOT make anyone a model. a model needs to know facial expressions, body language, posing, etc. I had a shoot a few weeks back for a trucking company (to make sexy posters) and the model I gonna shoot with had a family emergency 2 days prior. I found someone with last minute with a pretty face and a body that fit the look they wanted. No facial expressions, no sense of direction, didn't take directions, squinting in half of the shots and basically no idea what she was doing. I had to shoot two hours longer than I anticipated and still couldn't pull a hand full of images with a damn. I value a model (even if not so pretty) over a beautiful faces and body with no clue any day.

Oct 08 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Jordan May wrote:

You mean I could have been charging for 2 megapixel camphone pics? I didn't have to buy my Nikon?

Oct 08 06 12:17 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

I like how Fosbre Studios goes back and edits all of his posts to delete what he said so no one can quote him....except that they already have?

Oct 08 06 12:27 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Yup , i just stand there.... not much to offer here, Jessalyn too ( i have had the pleasure of watching herestand there after watching climbs through rocks and wet sand in spike heels) ....pffft... whatever....

Oct 08 06 12:30 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

BlindMike wrote:

I've had models help me with swapping backgrounds. I even had a model help build the set.

i do things like that when neccessary, location scouting and conceptual direction as well if need be.

Oct 08 06 12:31 am Link