Forums > General Industry > Why NOT shot with a FAT Photographer

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

I have wondered why models are so picky about shooting with over weight Photographers. What is the problem with being over weight and being a photographer. I shoot Plus Size models and have noticed that lots of my over weight photographer friends tend to worrie about letting models know what they look like before they set up a shoot. I always tell the models I look like what Tom Cruise would look like with a beer gut. So do any photogs out there have this problem.

Bravo Magic Image

Oct 05 06 12:55 am Link

Model

Caroline Ann Martin

Williamsport, Pennsylvania, US

I've shot with several photographers who are overweight, and personally don't see how it would matter on my (or anyone's) decision to shoot with someone or not. A person's weight doesn't speak to his or her talent or professionalism. (and if it means anything, the best photographers that I've worked with are overweight.) 
Caroline
-225 lbs @ goal (and who's living proof that what is seen on the outside isn't reflective of what's on the inside)

Oct 05 06 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Josh Separzadeh

Venice, California, US

is this really a problem? it makes no sense

Oct 05 06 01:00 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Josh Separzadeh wrote:
is this really a problem? it makes no sense

Werd.

Oct 05 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

on occasion i've run into an agency or two whose owners are somewhat particular about the physical appearance of the photographers they have on their lists (yes, these *DO* exist) ...

... but that generally has to do with them being able to aggressively market their entire package, including the people who do the things for them that make their companies who they are. simply marketing & playing to the masses. something that hopefully should not be taken personally.

just two centimes,
F

Oct 05 06 01:03 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Are you fat and smelly? The problem could be the latter. I never heard of the former being an issue.

Oct 05 06 01:04 am Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

People are just so judgemental. Weather it's a big photographer or a big model.
I don't see a problem with it at all your weight has nothing at all to do with your talent, weather you're a model or a photographer.

Oct 05 06 01:12 am Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Are you fat and smelly? The problem could be the latter. I never heard of the former being an issue.

I've come accross people whom are skinny and smelly some people in general have poor personal hygene

Oct 05 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Us female photogs have so many advantages. Don't run into hardly any of the problems you males do. wink

I love being a woman! Lol... tongue

Aside from that, I post a pic of myself in my port. With having so much beginning contact being on the net, it's always nice (I think) to see the person one may work with.

Oct 05 06 01:15 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

TooCoolQueeniee wrote:
People are just so judgemental. Weather it's a big photographer or a big model.
I don't see a problem with it at all your weight has nothing at all to do with your talent, weather you're a model or a photographer.

Yes, very true. Shouldn't/doesn't matter what the photographer looks like. What matters is what his/her work looks like.

Oct 05 06 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

John Jebbia wrote:

TooCoolQueeniee wrote:
your weight has nothing at all to do with your talent, weather you're a model or a photographer.

depends much too on the circles in / for which you shoot: being a 'Net photographer or shooting at the makeover place in the mall, that's one thing ...

... but if you're heavy into certain mainstream commercial circles, as was alluded to, yes, the photographer also has to have a marketable image.

business. just business.

F

Oct 05 06 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I don't want to be a fat photographer. I want to be a cute photographer. In fact, I accept PTFP. Personal Training for Prints. I'm lazy and need someone to yell at me to keep exercising.

Oct 05 06 02:19 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

i"m not fat i"m just big boned. eric cartman

Oct 05 06 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

I dont see a probably with overweight individuals. though, i drove down to LA with a friend of a friend that i had never met. he was a bit overweight, but that didn't bother me until the day of the shoot. and it wasn't so much his weight, it's just that he was sweating like CRAZY during the entire shoot.

it was a hygene thing for me, not a weight issue.

Doug Mackay    DMP wrote:
i"m not fat i"m just big boned. eric cartman

you know, I've never scene a fat skeleton.

Oct 05 06 03:35 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

https://www.io.com/~fml/PC_FatBeardedLadyMan.jpg

c'mon! you know you wanna shoot with me! (evil laugh)

Oct 05 06 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

I'm not overweight, I'm underheight.

Oct 05 06 03:47 am Link

Photographer

Don Jones Photography

Austin, Texas, US

I’m not fat; I just keep buying these pot bellied shirts…

Oct 05 06 04:09 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Yeah.
It really bothers me how MM does not require photographers to fill out height, weight, measurements, etc.  I can only work with photographers who have the look I'm going for.

Oct 05 06 04:21 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

i wouldnt know either
im not fat....

Oct 05 06 04:22 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

The more you pay the thinner you seem.

Oct 05 06 04:32 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:

I lost a commercial job years ago casue they were going to tape the shooting of the catelogue and I didn't fit the "look" they wanted for their photogrpaher. I'd done 2 of their catelogues prior to this and got a bonus out of the last one. So I'd say they were happy with my work. Just not my appearence. To old and to fat. Though they didn't of course say it THAT way.
Mike

Oct 05 06 04:36 am Link

Photographer

Key

Long Beach, California, US

MagicImagePhoto wrote:
I have wondered why models are so picky about shooting with over weight Photographers. What is the problem with being over weight and being a photographer. I shoot Plus Size models and have noticed that lots of my over weight photographer friends tend to worrie about letting models know what they look like before they set up a shoot. I always tell the models I look like what Tom Cruise would look like with a beer gut. So do any photogs out there have this problem.

Bravo Magic Image

Man, you're retarded

Oct 05 06 04:59 am Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

Unfortunately it is a problem for some models,more than most care to  admit. It shouldn't be,but it is.So is the age of the photographer,the race,color etc,is he an amatuer or a "pro" and all that stuff.They are also the dunder heads that usauly flake out on a shoot,so the chances of haveing to work with one is minimal.

Oct 05 06 05:00 am Link

Photographer

Primox Studios

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

I don't see it as fat... I see it as an Invesment... do you know how much money do I have there in quater pounders w/cheese and heinekens???

Some have six packs, some have keg cans... what matters its that the beer is cold

I wonder how I can ask for my money back...

Oct 05 06 05:13 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

stan wigmore photograph wrote:
Unfortunately it is a problem for some models,more than most care to  admit. It shouldn't be,but it is.So is the age of the photographer,the race,color etc,is he an amatuer or a "pro" and all that stuff.They are also the dunder heads that usauly flake out on a shoot,so the chances of haveing to work with one is minimal.

Are you serious?
Geez.

Oct 05 06 05:54 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Chris55 wrote:

Man, you're retarded

How about we knock off the personal insults!

Oct 05 06 05:59 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

Dan Hood MM  Moderator wrote:

How about we knock off the personal insults!

And just when you think all the mods must have gone to bed by now...

Oct 05 06 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Honestly, I can stand to lose a little weight.

In over two years, I've never met with a model or potential model and have her decline or postpone the shoot until I'm a little more height and weight proportionate. To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't impact the quality of the photos.

On the other hand, I always dress and act professionaly so maybe that helps.

Oct 05 06 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Eli Ceballos

Brooklyn, New York, US

Being on the larger side of the spectrum (6'1" 325lbs) and being fairly new to people photography, i have always wondered the same.  I have not had a problem yet but am bracing for it.  I will say this, in Europe i am told it is much more of an issue.  A very caring friend (Pro Euro Photog) told me flat out i would not get work at a commercial level in some parts of europe because of my size...sad but true.

Eli

Oct 05 06 06:23 am Link

Model

-Alisha

Simpsonville, Kentucky, US

I have never had a problem with shooting with overweight photographers. If fact, some of the best ones I know are overweight. If the model is picky over what her photographer LOOKS like and not what their work is like, she/he is more than likely not going to make it to the top. That's my opinion

Oct 05 06 07:19 am Link

Photographer

David Birdsong

Pontiac, Michigan, US

the only problem I have had with be big, fat and balding is getting the models to not barf while I am shooting them.. smile

Oct 05 06 07:27 am Link

Photographer

Tied And Taped

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Did you know most bondage photographers (or most of the ones I know of) are fat?  I'm not (though I got a bit of a gut), but yes, quite a number of bondage photographers are fat.  One guy was so fat, he needed a cane to walk.  Allegedly he was killed in Iraq earlier this year (never substantiated--as I said, he was fat, needed a cane, and was 51 at the time--doesn't sound like he'd be the type to be sent to Iraq). 

Just thought you might want to know.

Oct 05 06 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Yeah I'm fat...I am only about 50 pounds away from my goal though....but I have never been turned down because of my weight...

Oct 05 06 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

It's not a belly...it's a gas tank for a sex machine.

Oct 05 06 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

MagicImagePhoto wrote:

Bravo Magic Image

You forgot to add, when we get big (6'2   280)  we turn "CREEPY"   LOL

Oct 05 06 07:36 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Partial Quote:  I have wondered why models are so picky about shooting with over weight Photographers. ...  Bravo Magic Image

A photographer's weight does not matter to me.  big_smile  You work your equipment from one side, and I work it from the other.  Kathy

Oct 05 06 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I am 6'3 and 315lbs. I do sweat a lot on some shoots here in Florida where the heat is high and so is the humidity. However, although I try to push them away the models are all over me at the end of a shoot, and oft times before I've had a chance to change shirts. It's almost embarrassing for me to have these beautiful models trying to get their arms around my huge middle section all the while slipping and sliding and trying to grab on to my long blonde hair but I accept that I am irresistible to them by the time the shoot has ended and that they just can't seem to get enough of me. It all goes with being awesome to work with I suppose.

Oh, and thanks Caroline for the compliment. big_smile

Oct 05 06 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Carpe Imago Photography

Dousman, Wisconsin, US

This is a business that is based on appearance.  I'm not at all surprised that you would experience people, be they models or agencies, who would make a value judgement based upon appearance.

Of course it is a wholly ridiculous decision on their part since it has nothing to do with your ability to read light, give direction, or develop creative ideas.  There are more than enough idiots in this business (agents, models, & photographers) that nothing surprises me anymore.

Oct 05 06 07:44 am Link

Model

-Alisha

Simpsonville, Kentucky, US

Vegas Alien wrote:
It's not a belly...it's a gas tank for a sex machine.

HAHAHAHA thats the best one I've heard

Oct 05 06 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Since a motorcycle accident that put me in a wheelchair, I have put on some weight. Try showing up to a shoot overweight and in a chair, LOL! I had one girl that just couldn't get comfortable. Every five minutes she would sympathetically yell out, "HOW AM I DOING?" I finally broke the ice by answering, "What was that? Hang on a minute while I turn up the hearing aid on my wheelchair!" True story...

Gary

Oct 05 06 07:53 am Link