Forums > General Industry > What and why?

Model

Mirabela

Durham, North Carolina, US

I'm new here in MM and i got a question!  Was all the time a dream for me be a  model or fashion model... i dreamed all the time what's the felling stay in front a camera!!But what i wondering is what is a model?When i'm thinking about this word i'm thinking about beautiful and tall womans walking and smiling to the camera.But if is this is the real meaning this mean people like me short and maybe with some fat they can never feel once in the life what mean be a model? I had a lot people in here telling me that i'm too short and i have to stop dream about because will be always only a dream!!!! Why??????

Sep 27 06 01:02 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

I will love if somebody can help me understand!!

Sep 27 06 01:07 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Mirabela wrote:
I will love if somebody can help me understand!!

We would love if you could help us understand you!

Sep 27 06 01:12 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

i just can't understand why only gorgeus girl can be a model and take photoshoot!!!!

Sep 27 06 01:18 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Mirabela wrote:
i just can't understand why only gorgeus girl can be a model and take photoshoot!!!!

Why do you think you can't get a photoshoot?

Sep 27 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Read this:  http://www.newmodels.com/height.html

Then ask again.

Sep 27 06 01:24 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

Lora wrote:

Why do you think you can't get a photoshoot?

Because everyone in here tell me that!!!!

Sep 27 06 01:26 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Mirabela wrote:

Oh god!  Try again please.

Sep 27 06 01:27 pm Link

Model

LORA

Mirabela wrote:

I'm sure everyone hasn't said that. Someone will be willing to give you a shoot. I would suggest, for starters, choosing a better avatar, one that shows your face better. Keep looking in your area and be optimistic. It won't happen right away!

Sep 27 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Mirabela wrote:

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
Oh god!  Try again please.

Give her a break! she speacks 4 languages!

Sep 27 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Mirabela wrote:

Any girl who offers a photographer a large sum of money can get a photoshoot.

Sep 27 06 01:32 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

CLT wrote:

Mirabela wrote:

Give her a break! she speacks 4 languages!

thanx to understand i move to america only one year ago i lived in romania for 6 year and i move to italy for 11 years and now here is really hard!!!!

Sep 27 06 01:32 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Mirabela, it is a good idea to read the link TX provided.  You will find a lot of helpful information there.

There are also niche markets for which height isn't so important.  Will you make a full time living at them?  Probably not.  But if you love modeling and want to do it, there's no shame in enjoying what work you find, or just doing it as a hobby.

Figure out what interests you - glamour, art, nudes, what?  Then see if the people working in that arena are interested in your look.

Sep 27 06 01:34 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

And to everyone giving her crap about her written English - what the hell?  It's obviously not her first language.  How about a little patience?  Learning to write a second language takes time.  I'm sure she's doing the best she can.  Her written English is probably a lot better than all of our written Italian.

Sheesh.

Sep 27 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Mirabela wrote:

I looked at your photos.  I can't see anything about them that would make me interested in shooting you.  What style do YOU want?  Also, the photos are pretty boring and poorly executed.

Think about a style you want to have and hire a photographer that will do it for you.  Check their work and make sure it's good.  Once you have that complete, think of another style you think you'd like to have and hire another photographer (or the same) and get that style nailed down.  Before you know it, you'll have a real portfolio going.

Now, before you get too deep, you need to think about WHAT modeling means to you.  What do YOU want to get out of it.  What kind of work do you want.  Do not say, "I want to be paid."  If that's all you want, you can get a job at McDonald's. They pay.

You want to be a bikini model for Venus?  Contact them, find out their requirements and whether or not you meet them.  You want to runway, find out their requirements and find out if you meet them.

Maybe the people that are saying you can't model is because you're saying something like...

I want to be a fashion model and walk the runways of New York and Milan.  Well, if that is the case, they are being honest.  You're too short.  If you want to try and break down some walls and represent the short girls, feel free but be ready for failure.  In fact, expect to fail.  But, things do happen and people change, maybe you'll be the one to change it.  But then, it's been that way for a very long time and isn't likely going to change.

Sep 27 06 01:36 pm Link

Model

LORA

Shyly wrote:
And to everyone giving her crap about her written English - what the hell?  It's obviously not her first language.  How about a little patience?  Learning to write a second language takes time.  I'm sure she's doing the best she can.  Her written English is probably a lot better than all of our written Italian.

Sheesh.

It makes them feel smarter.

Sep 27 06 01:36 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Shyly wrote:

Sheesh.

Well since I'm one of those people, I'll say that I hadn't bothered to look at her profile at first.  Now I have and I'm done.  I only like to make fun of those who should know better, not those who are new to the language.

Sep 27 06 01:42 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

DigitalCMH wrote:

I looked at your photos.  I can't see anything about them that would make me interested in shooting you.  What style do YOU want?  Also, the photos are pretty boring and poorly executed.

Think about a style you want to have and hire a photographer that will do it for you.  Check their work and make sure it's good.  Once you have that complete, think of another style you think you'd like to have and hire another photographer (or the same) and get that style nailed down.  Before you know it, you'll have a real portfolio going.

Now, before you get too deep, you need to think about WHAT modeling means to you.  What do YOU want to get out of it.  What kind of work do you want.  Do not say, "I want to be paid."  If that's all you want, you can get a job at McDonald's. They pay.

You want to be a bikini model for Venus?  Contact them, find out their requirements and whether or not you meet them.  You want to runway, find out their requirements and find out if you meet them.

Maybe the people that are saying you can't model is because you're saying something like...

I want to be a fashion model and walk the runways of New York and Milan.  Well, if that is the case, they are being honest.  You're too short.  If you want to try and break down some walls and represent the short girls, feel free but be ready for failure.  In fact, expect to fail.  But, things do happen and people change, maybe you'll be the one to change it.  But then, it's been that way for a very long time and isn't likely going to change.

i know that i can't chage the height and i know really well that i can never be on a runway in milan or new york or anyway. i don't want to do modeling for money i want to try once what mean be in front of a camera i want to have that felling i want to know how will be if i will be tall and slim and perfect like most of the girl in here with a beautiful body! This is the only think I will love this!!! I'm a international dancer and when i'm in front of the camera i just feel great and i love it and that is one of the think where i know i'm good. Maybe modeling is only a dream but maybe i can be good at i don't know yet i'm just starting with a lot entusiasm and passion! And one day in the future i can say "I try modeling and was fun but i'm to short for it" but the point is.....I wanna try it.

Sep 27 06 02:57 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

Lora wrote:

I'm sure everyone hasn't said that. Someone will be willing to give you a shoot. I would suggest, for starters, choosing a better avatar, one that shows your face better. Keep looking in your area and be optimistic. It won't happen right away!

to take some pict to start do u think a regolar photographer do this kind of things??? i need now some nice pict!!Because the pict what i have right now my bro take it!!!And he is only 9!!lol

Sep 27 06 03:31 pm Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

Well, first things first, the shots in your portfolio are bad. That said, you may have to pay a photographer to get your first shoot or two. But once you have good shots, photoshoots come more easily.

In all likelyhood, you won't be a model in any of the major markets (NYC, LA) probably not even in medium markets lake Dallas or Miami. But in small local markets, you can work almost constantly if your professional about it. And it is possible to make a living in small markets, but ONLY if your professional.

Most people here on MM want to be a famous model, and thats all they really know what to give advice on. But like you, most aren't suited for high fashion, so they'll tell you to give up so they don't have to. Like Shyly said, there are niche markets you aught to look into.

I'm not fashion model thin and will never be, but I still make a good living doing photoshoots and promotions in Dallas. Promotional and trade show models have no hieght requirements. Many 18+ models choose to shoot glamour, nudes, art nudes, ect. You don't really have a "commercial" look, but you do have a very real world look. You might want to look into acting classes. Being that you speak four languages, you already have a talent that many other people do not.

Most important is do what you want, if it happens it happens, and if it doesn't you haven't sold out or lost anything. Kate Moss was to short for fashion and she got lucky, so dream if you want, just make sure you've got a backup plan. Mostly you just have to keep working the market until you either become succesful in one area, or get kicked out all together.

Sep 27 06 03:52 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

Ivy Bressler wrote:
Well, first things first, the shots in your portfolio are bad. That said, you may have to pay a photographer to get your first shoot or two. But once you have good shots, photoshoots come more easily.

In all likelyhood, you won't be a model in any of the major markets (NYC, LA) probably not even in medium markets lake Dallas or Miami. But in small local markets, you can work almost constantly if your professional about it. And it is possible to make a living in small markets, but ONLY if your professional.

Most people here on MM want to be a famous model, and thats all they really know what to give advice on. But like you, most aren't suited for high fashion, so they'll tell you to give up so they don't have to. Like Shyly said, there are niche markets you aught to look into.

I'm not fashion model thin and will never be, but I still make a good living doing photoshoots and promotions in Dallas. Promotional and trade show models have no hieght requirements. Many 18+ models choose to shoot glamour, nudes, art nudes, ect. You don't really have a "commercial" look, but you do have a very real world look. You might want to look into acting classes. Being that you speak four languages, you already have a talent that many other people do not.

Most important is do what you want, if it happens it happens, and if it doesn't you haven't sold out or lost anything. Kate Moss was to short for fashion and she got lucky, so dream if you want, just make sure you've got a backup plan. Mostly you just have to keep working the market until you either become succesful in one area, or get kicked out all together.

i knok and i think u are right but i will like to try this word too and like u say i have nothing to lose. I don't hope to be a model or something like that because i know that i can't.But put in this way i try almost eveything in my only 18 years old and i want to try this word too i think will be a nice experience and maybe can help me in acting classes like u say!!!But the thing is if i can't try i can't know.And i know that i can't be like most of u in here but let me try u never know!!!Those photoshoot are  made from my bro i will go in few day to get some real shoot and than i will accept every comment!!i'm a really hard head!!

Sep 27 06 04:07 pm Link

Model

LORA

Mirabela wrote:

to take some pict to start do u think a regolar photographer do this kind of things??? i need now some nice pict!!Because the pict what i have right now my bro take it!!!And he is only 9!!lol

Contact photographers in your area who are willing to do TFP with you.

Sep 27 06 04:10 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

Lora wrote:

Contact photographers in your area who are willing to do TFP with you.

thanx for the answere i will call today so i can have the pict soon as i can and will see how the look after!!!

Sep 27 06 04:16 pm Link

Model

Angel Babe

Bristol, Rhode Island, US

Mirabela wrote:
I'm new here in MM and i got a question!  Was all the time a dream for me be a  model or fashion model... i dreamed all the time what's the felling stay in front a camera!!But what i wondering is what is a model?When i'm thinking about this word i'm thinking about beautiful and tall womans walking and smiling to the camera.But if is this is the real meaning this mean people like me short and maybe with some fat they can never feel once in the life what mean be a model? I had a lot people in here telling me that i'm too short and i have to stop dream about because will be always only a dream!!!! Why??????

A model means a different thing to everyone. Ask yourself why do you want to be a model? Is it a passion for you? Would you also put in the work and treat it like a job?

I think a lot of times people see a model as this glamorous illusion. Easy way to make money. Or just to feel more special claiming they are a model.

Now we can't all be runway models. or fashion models. Why? Because that industry is based on the highest ideals imaginable and selling the most products. And fashion is made for their size/height. If modeling was easy everyone would become one.

Now commercial height is about 5'6 ideally. But they have jobs for shorter models. If you seriously want to become a model I think you can. With effort you could do promotions, TFP shoots, build your portfolio and in time get better, possibly move on to some paying jobs.

If you wanted to start modeling on Internet sites. Photographers seem to only pay for nudes a lot of times. When you're just starting  out.  (Or models willing to do them find themselves with more responses from photographers.) If you decide not to do them it will probably be even harder to get paid work or TFPs. Amateur photographers would probably be more likely to want to shoot with you. (Since a lot of them also are looking to build their portfolio)

One of the hardest things to become is a model though, because no matter how beautiful you are, great you are at what you do. A lot of times there will be someone with more experience or slightly better, or maybe have the look people were looking for so get the jobs. (But you can't let stuff like that break you, if you're serious about wanting to be one you just have to learn from that, and try harder)

Looking average, wont get you anywhere. It's important for models to stay in shape, having hair/makeup done by a pro can make a huge difference. (Personally I think if you grew your hair out you'd have more responses.) Longer hair just seems more popular for some reason. Plus it's more versatile. 

Also one of the most important things is to have is confidence! If you don't have confidence don't even think of becoming a model. (Because it will show in your photos) And it's a cut throat industry. The higher up you want to go the more harsh it is. And people will tear you down, and you'll get rejected. (A lot of supermodels have even got rejected many times before they made it) So you'd have to still believe in yourself and keep trying. And if you don't have any belief in yourself, how can you expect others to?

The market is all about selling, and you have to be able to sell not only products, but yourself in confidence and showing others why they'd want to hire/work with you.

You have 2 main things that will look great on a portfolio. (The fact you're a dancer, and speak multiple languages) Usually the more things a person is in, or being bilingual can help when trying to get certain jobs, or into an agency.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to pursue!

Sep 28 06 11:19 am Link

Model

Mirabela

Angel Babe wrote:

A model means a different thing to everyone. Ask yourself why do you want to be a model? Is it a passion for you? Would you also put in the work and treat it like a job?

I think a lot of times people see a model as this glamorous illusion. Easy way to make money. Or just to feel more special claiming they are a model.

Now we can't all be runway models. or fashion models. Why? Because that industry is based on the highest ideals imaginable and selling the most products. And fashion is made for their size/height. If modeling was easy everyone would become one.

Now commercial height is about 5'6 ideally. But they have jobs for shorter models. If you seriously want to become a model I think you can. With effort you could do promotions, TFP shoots, build your portfolio and in time get better, possibly move on to some paying jobs.

If you wanted to start modeling on Internet sites. Photographers seem to only pay for nudes a lot of times. When you're just starting  out.  (Or models willing to do them find themselves with more responses from photographers.) If you decide not to do them it will probably be even harder to get paid work or TFPs. Amateur photographers would probably be more likely to want to shoot with you. (Since a lot of them also are looking to build their portfolio)

One of the hardest things to become is a model though, because no matter how beautiful you are, great you are at what you do. A lot of times there will be someone with more experience or slightly better, or maybe have the look people were looking for so get the jobs. (But you can't let stuff like that break you, if you're serious about wanting to be one you just have to learn from that, and try harder)

Looking average, wont get you anywhere. It's important for models to stay in shape, having hair/makeup done by a pro can make a huge difference. (Personally I think if you grew your hair out you'd have more responses.) Longer hair just seems more popular for some reason. Plus it's more versatile. 

Also one of the most important things is to have is confidence! If you don't have confidence don't even think of becoming a model. (Because it will show in your photos) And it's a cut throat industry. The higher up you want to go the more harsh it is. And people will tear you down, and you'll get rejected. (A lot of supermodels have even got rejected many times before they made it) So you'd have to still believe in yourself and keep trying. And if you don't have any belief in yourself, how can you expect others to?

The market is all about selling, and you have to be able to sell not only products, but yourself in confidence and showing others why they'd want to hire/work with you.

You have 2 main things that will look great on a portfolio. (The fact you're a dancer, and speak multiple languages) Usually the more things a person is in, or being bilingual can help when trying to get certain jobs, or into an agency.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to pursue!

Ur message make me think a lot and yesturday i was really sad and i say that i don't want to know this word anymore but now i realize that nothing is easy u have to work hard and do the best to be the best and is the same in danc ewhen i start i wasn't that good like now but i made it because i want it and i think like u say if i belive in myself i can do it!!!
Now i'm gonna have some nice photoshoot and maybe i have to pay but will be a start for every thing in the life what u want  to do u have to pay so I decide what i want!!I want to try it and i want to say that even if this model thing is not gonna work for me. i can walk straight on my way and say i try it and i did the best as i can!!

Sep 28 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

For a regular agency or commercial model, their purpose is to SELL something. Eilleen Ford called it "marketability". That's why a model is an idealized looking man or woman. By definition, they aren't "average" or "ordinary".

You can want all day and night for the rest of your life. If you don't have a marketable look, you won't get anywhere. For other types of modeling, you have to be what that specialty requires. Be realistic.

Sep 29 06 01:38 am Link

Model

Mirabela

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
For a regular agency or commercial model, their purpose is to SELL something. Eilleen Ford called it "marketability". That's why a model is an idealized looking man or woman. By definition, they aren't "average" or "ordinary".

You can want all day and night for the rest of your life. If you don't have a marketable look, you won't get anywhere. For other types of modeling, you have to be what that specialty requires. Be realistic.

WHATEVER!!!

Sep 30 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mirabela wrote:

WHATEVER!!!

Gotta love the acceptance of fate!

Sep 30 06 01:20 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Again, go to http://www.newmodels.com/ , read it.  Digest it.  Then read it again.

Regarding your original question...the answer is simple.  It's called reality.  Why do you think that others should care about your dream?  Could you help realize my dream, for free even?

Sep 30 06 01:22 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

lll wrote:
Why do you think that others should care about your dream?  Could you help realize my dream. . .?

Excellent!

Sep 30 06 04:26 am Link

Model

Mirabela

TXPhotog wrote:

Excellent!

u KNOW WHAT? U ARE RIGHT BUT I WILL STILL TRY IT!!!!! big_smile

Sep 30 06 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, US

Shyly wrote:
Her written English is probably a lot better than all of our written Italian.

Sheesh.

parli per lei, il mio italiano scritto non è quel Male. 

o español si le prefiere usted...

sogar ist mein schriftlicher Deutsch nicht schrecklich...

wink

Sorry,  languages are one thing I'm good at, and I don't mind showing off sometimes. :-P

Sep 30 06 12:32 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

mad city fine arts wrote:

parli per lei, il mio italiano scritto non è quel Male. 

o español si le prefiere usted...

sogar ist mein schriftlicher Deutsch nicht schrecklich...

wink

Sorry,  languages are one thing I'm good at, and I don't mind showing off sometimes. :-P

good but how long u speack english???? or italian or spanish????

e' bello vedere a volte qualcuno che scrive come te!!

Sep 30 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

Lancaster, California, US

ypu can be a model. a supermodel. you can be anything you want to be.

then yu wake up and the dream is over.

I want to play lead guitar for the Rolling Stones.

Its not fair that this hasn't happened.

No matter that I never picked up a guitar. It could happen, right?

Actually I looked at your pics and you are cute but you are not in an area where many models get work and the height thing gonna be a big factor.

Good luck.

Sep 30 06 06:02 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

glenn usdin wrote:
ypu can be a model. a supermodel. you can be anything you want to be.

then yu wake up and the dream is over.

I want to play lead guitar for the Rolling Stones.

Its not fair that this hasn't happened.

No matter that I never picked up a guitar. It could happen, right?

Actually I looked at your pics and you are cute but you are not in an area where many models get work and the height thing gonna be a big factor.

Good luck.

this area is not a really big opportunity u are right!!!!But like u say everything can happen!!!!i need to have a nice port and  will see if i will recive contact from some photographer in new york or in canada or invirginia or in giornia or anywhere maybe i can move and go there and if that is not gonna happen i will live my normal life like i'm doing right now dance, school, work and i will not lose anything!!!

Sep 30 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, US

Mirabela wrote:
good but how long u speack english???? or italian or spanish????

e' bello vedere a volte qualcuno che scrive come te!!

English?  My whole life, spanish... I started that at about age 8.  My italian is poor, though... mostly learned from my knowledge of Spanish.

E, grazie molto per il tuo complimento!

Sep 30 06 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Il mio italiano è molto molto difettoso. Aplogize. Non penso che potrte essere un modello di modo, a causa della vostra altezza. Se desiderate essere il modello dell'artista (per le fotografie nudi, ecc.) Sono sicuro che sia facile.

Sep 30 06 11:36 pm Link

Model

Mirabela

Miles Chandler wrote:
Il mio italiano è molto molto difettoso. Aplogize. Non penso che potrte essere un modello di modo, a causa della vostra altezza. Se desiderate essere il modello dell'artista (per le fotografie nudi, ecc.) Sono sicuro che sia facile.

il problema che per ora voglio iniziare cn photo normali!!

Oct 01 06 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Como Esta, Me bonita amiga?

The people that tell you these nasty things are blind. Don't listen to them. You are beautiful and will make a wonderful model. Styles and opinions change on a daily basis and your turn will come, be ready for it. Be careful with the choices you make in your career!

Oct 01 06 10:11 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

WTF is going on!!!

**note to self... NEVER hit a thread like this ever again**

ESPECIALLY on a Sunday morning with a Saturday night hangover!!!

Oct 01 06 10:12 am Link