Forums > General Industry > No more TF for Zivity. A question about sites.

Photographer

IXth MAN

Fresno, California, US

That's what I found on a model's profile.

If I'm correct, I believe the way that site works is you get your money from votes. Each vote being worth $1. Supposedly the split is $0.40 to the site, $0.40 to the photographer and $0.60 to the model.

wrote:
Thanks to Left-handed Photography
The split is 60/30/10: model/photographer/Zivity.
. . .and my faulty math is corrected.

Just seemed kind of wrong to expect to be paid to have a photographer produce something for you to make more than he/she on.

It seems like producing, as a model or photographer, it's not a way to pay rent unless you are prolific or work constantly. Are there any sites that are worth shooting for?

I know there are two or three questions wrapped up in this, but an educated oppinion on this would be as nice as an answer from someone in the business. I've thought about trying to produce sets, but not sure it's the way to go.

Thanks,

9th

Sep 01 11 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Joel England Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

The "split" you describe adds up to splitting $1.40 from each $1.00.

Sep 01 11 06:44 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

IXth MAN wrote:
That's what I found on a model's profile.

If I'm correct, I believe the way that site works is you get your money from votes. Each vote being worth $1. Supposedly the split is $0.40 to the site, $0.40 to the photographer and $0.60 to the model.

Just seemed kind of wrong to expect to be paid to have a photographer produce something for you to make more than he/she on.

It seems like producing, as a model or photographer, it's not a way to pay rent unless you are prolific or work constantly. Are there any sites that are worth shooting for?

I know there are two or three questions wrapped up in this, but an educated oppinion on this would be as nice as an answer from someone in the business. I've thought about trying to produce sets, but not sure it's the way to go.

Thanks,

9th

If you dislike it, make your own paysite.

Sep 01 11 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

DraganSutic

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Elizabeth Claret wrote:

After Joel already pointed out the math skills, you seriously going to tell him to start a business? wink

Sep 01 11 06:51 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

DraganSutic wrote:

After Joel already pointed out the math skills, you seriously going to tell him to start a business? wink

Less competition for me and my friends. big_smile

Sep 01 11 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Who's going to pay a dollar to vote on a picture?

Sep 01 11 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

DraganSutic

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Elizabeth Claret wrote:

Less competition for me and my friends. big_smile

You are cold ......... looking for job in financial services?

Sep 01 11 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

ddtphoto wrote:

Thats why I never saw the appeal of Zivity. Too much of a time investment for the money earned.

Sep 01 11 06:53 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

DraganSutic wrote:

You are cold ......... looking for job in financial services?

Hey, I've been sort of self employed for like 5 years now. I know how to market a business. tongue

Sep 01 11 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Zivity is just a joke ----unless your the owner of the site and they must be  laughing at the people at the people who buy into it as they see their bank account grow with little or no effort on their part.

Scams come and go as will this one

Sep 01 11 07:01 pm Link

Model

MadameKitty

Palmer - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by Argentina/Chile/UK, Antarctica

Well, look at it this way-

Models do not own the copyright of the image. Unless there is an agreement on selling images, the model does not stand to gain profit from any work shot.

Photographers hold copyright, and depending on the release can have unlimited usage. (Which is why it's always good to read releases before you sign them.)

This business requires a lot of negotiation; if the model doesn't see TF for Zivity as profitable or worth her time, maybe devise another way to profit share or make it worth both of your whiles.

Sep 01 11 07:01 pm Link

Model

Mercy

Los Angeles, California, US

As much as I like Zivity you have to look at it this way. There is only a POTENTIAL for money in it. Most models who make decent money have shot a lot of content that's on there and/or they are super active. That means it's taking a lot of time out for models (and yes photographers too) in order to get paid. I like zivity. I like getting random checks in my mail for a new pair of shoes or something BUT it's not something I count on to pay the bills.

~Mercy

Sep 01 11 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

IXth MAN

Fresno, California, US

Joel England Photo wrote:
The "split" you describe adds up to splitting $1.40 from each $1.00.

Oooops. Maybe it was twenty, twenty, sixty.

Long day at work.

9th

Sep 01 11 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Sounds like George Bush's fuzzy Math: .40 +.40 +. 60 = 1.00 now? lol

Sep 01 11 07:08 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

Mercy wrote:
As much as I like Zivity you have to look at it this way. There is only a POTENTIAL for money in it. Most models who make decent money have shot a lot of content that's on there and/or they are super active. That means it's taking a lot of time out for models (and yes photographers too) in order to get paid. I like zivity. I like getting random checks in my mail for a new pair of shoes or something BUT it's not something I count on to pay the bills.

~Mercy

(nod)

Main reason I very, very rarely do commission based work. There's no return guarantee.

Photographer

Keys88 Photo

New York, New York, US

It seems to me that this thread is about 50% Rant, 50% reasonable observation & 10% sour grapes.

I stopped shooting for Zivity because I found it too time-consuming (and a bit boring) to retouch enough photos to make a decent set.

I don't rule out the possibility of shooting more sets for them but, given that I do this for fun and not money, I don't like the idea of retouching for 12 hours straight to put together a set.

Photographer

IXth MAN

Fresno, California, US

Elizabeth Claret wrote:

Didn't say anything about like or dislike. Is that your educated opinion? It sure didn't answer anything for me.

9th

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

IXth MAN wrote:

Didn't say anything about like or dislike. Is that your educated opinion? It sure didn't answer anything for me.

9th

You dislike the pay system. Else you'd not have started this thread. IF you dislike how you're being paid by someone, don't work for them anymore. It's pretty simple.

Sep 01 11 07:09 pm Link

Retoucher

Rpixretouching

Perris, California, US

DraganSutic wrote:

ha ha ha ha ha don't make me laugh I just had spine surgery and the stitches hurt, I love this place

Sep 01 11 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

IXth MAN

Fresno, California, US

Mercy wrote:

~Mercy

Thanks for answering the question(s). I appreciate your insight, since you actually have some. I thought it would be fun to do, but work as to pay off? ? ? ?

Thanks,

9th

Sep 01 11 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Left-handed Photography

Richmond, Virginia, US

The short answer to whether or not this is worth the photographer's time is "no." I contribute to the site and it takes about three-four hours of shooting to produce two sets, then about another 5-10 hours to process/edit the sets, then another hour or two reviewing stuff with the model and uploading the files. All for 30¢ a vote. Not even minimum wage. Not even close. And when you factor in opportunity costs, you lose money.

So why do I and others do it? Simple, it's fun. For now. The biggest problem is wrangling models for multiple sets on a regular basis. Quantity adds up to more votes. The more popular models have multiple sets (5 or more). If a model only shoots a set or two and then loses interest, it's a waste of my time.

Having fun shouldn't be so difficult.

Sep 01 11 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

IXth MAN

Fresno, California, US

ddtphoto wrote:

Somebody does it, otherwise the site wouldn't be thriving, well, if it is.

9th

Sep 01 11 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

IXth MAN

Fresno, California, US

Left-handed Photography wrote:

The short answer to whether or not this is worth the photographer's time is "no." I contribute to the site and it takes about three-four hours of shooting to produce two sets, then about another 5-10 hours to process/edit the sets, then another hour or two reviewing stuff with the model and uploading the files. All for 30¢ a vote. Not even minimum wage. Not even close. And when you factor in opportunity costs, you lose money.

So why do I and others do it? Simple, it's fun. For now. The biggest problem is wrangling models for multiple sets on a regular basis. Quantity adds up to more votes. The more popular models have multiple sets (5 or more). If a model only shoots a set or two and then loses interest, it's a waste of my time.

Having fun shouldn't be so difficult.

LOL.

I'm with you on this. I still may try it, but still investigating.

Thanks,

9th

Sep 01 11 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

so far i've made like $9 and my model has made like $18. after four sets. like anything else you have to pay your dues and hustle and also it helps to have what voters are looking for.

i think models may just be reacting to some over-promising about zivity on the part of photographers. some sets do get a lot of votes but not all of them. a lot depends on how hard the model works at promoting the sets.

i like doing zivity sets but i'm not doing it for the money. just for fun and bragging rights.

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I think Zivity can be good healthy fun. Nobody sane believes in making any rfeal money on it - but shooting is fun, because Zivity is about storytelling. What gets people's (few, yes, few) interest is a neat story not a sequence of poses or one good shot.

The most voted for sets are not that nude really, but they are fun to shoot for both photographers and models and fun to look at too.

Photographer

Dobias Fine Art Photo

Haddon Heights, New Jersey, US

Beats Suicide Girls?

Sep 01 11 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

supposedly some of the votes are from photographers, not subscribers. i've voted on sets (like doing cloud seeding) to see if i could shake loose some votes for my model. also they do run contests and you can win some decent money for those.

the zivity owners also vote.

some photographers have like 50 sets and they can make some spending money.

any member can get you a 30-day free trial so you can check it out for yourself.

IXth MAN wrote:
Somebody does it, otherwise the site wouldn't be thriving, well, if it is.

Sep 01 11 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Shadows

Miami, Florida, US

I asked around when it was new. People told me that as a photographer you might make 'some pizza money'. I nodded my head and moved on.

Sep 01 11 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

+1. the closest thing on mayhem is when people collage 10 images into one long "story" strip image. but on zivity i can tell a story with 20-25 images if i like. of course the story often involves a strip-tease of some sort. lol.

Martin K Photo wrote:
because Zivity is about storytelling.

Sep 01 11 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Lumigraphics wrote:

Thats why I never saw the appeal of Zivity. Too much of a time investment for the money earned.

I really haven't heard of it. So I was just wondering where this magical dollar comes from? They must have subscribers or something.

So I don't know. I guess if the money you're making is worth your time.

Sep 01 11 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

IXth MAN

Fresno, California, US

Elizabeth Claret wrote:

You dislike the pay system. Else you'd not have started this thread. IF you dislike how you're being paid by someone, don't work for them anymore. It's pretty simple.

I truly think you're reading into it. If any dislike is alluded too, it would be the party getting the lion's share wanting more making it a total lose, lose situation for someone else. That can be applied top any form of business, and you're correct. I wouldn't work under those circumstances, but it made me want to ask a question, not only about the mentioned site, but others, and if there were any out there worth working for.

Do you have anything helpful to say? It would be nice, but I'm not going to expect it. Not from you anyway. I'm left wondering if you have the ability to be helpful, and add to a conversation, at the moment.

Thanks,

9th

Sep 01 11 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

DraganSutic

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dobias Fine Art Photo wrote:
Beats Suicide Girls?

So does playing leap frog with a table saw, but I'm in no rush to do that either, On a more serious note if you're looking to make money on zivity you're probably SOL, but if you want ot tell a story it's a way to do it and maybe get enough money for a beer out of it.

Sep 01 11 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

IXth MAN

Fresno, California, US

Dark Shadows wrote:
I asked around when it was new. People told me that as a photographer you might make 'some pizza money'. I nodded my head and moved on.

LOL.

Hey! What's wrong with pizza?

9th

Sep 01 11 07:29 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

IXth MAN wrote:
I truly think you're reading into it. If any dislike is alluded too, it would be the party getting the lion's share wanting more making it a total lose, lose situation for someone else. That can be applied top any form of business, and you're correct. I wouldn't work under those circumstances, but it made me want to ask a question, not only about the mentioned site, but others, and if there were any out there worth working for.

Do you have anything helpful to say? It would be nice, but I'm not going to expect it. Not from you anyway. I'm left wondering if you have the ability to be helpful, and add to a conversation, at the moment.

Thanks,

9th

Not to people who bother to only see insult in a person's post, rather than sense. smile

Here, you want help? Paysites never bring in any large source of income unless they are run and managed solely by you, or the model.

Never.

So, no, it's not worth your time, depending on what you value your time to be worth.

Sep 01 11 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

DraganSutic

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Elizabeth Claret wrote:

Hey, I've been sort of self employed for like 5 years now. I know how to market a business. tongue

A woman after my own heart smile

Sep 01 11 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Beautiful Sundays

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Stephen Markman wrote:
It seems to me that this thread is about 50% Rant, 50% reasonable observation & 10% sour grapes.

I stopped shooting for Zivity because I found it too time-consuming (and a bit boring) to retouch enough photos to make a decent set.

I don't rule out the possibility of shooting more sets for them but, given that I do this for fun and not money, I don't like the idea of retouching for 12 hours straight to put together a set.

QTF...I've done about 6 sets and the novelty is wearing off (and I don't care about the 'income' which is miniscule..)

Sep 01 11 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

IXth MAN

Fresno, California, US

MadameKitty wrote:
Well, look at it this way-

Models do not own the copyright of the image. Unless there is an agreement on selling images, the model does not stand to gain profit from any work shot.

Photographers hold copyright, and depending on the release can have unlimited usage. (Which is why it's always good to read releases before you sign them.)

This business requires a lot of negotiation; if the model doesn't see TF for Zivity as profitable or worth her time, maybe devise another way to profit share or make it worth both of your whiles.

I'm sure the contract each party signs covers this.

I will probably be corrected if I'm wrong, but I also believe Zivity has usage permission from the photographer and ties the images up for a designated time frame, then the images are back in the photographer's hands to do with what he wishes.

Thanks,

9th

Sep 01 11 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dang, this Zivity thing sounds like a lot of work. And from a photographers perspective seems like you're giving them a catalog of images too, with dubious copyright issues.

Sep 01 11 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Dobias Fine Art Photo

Haddon Heights, New Jersey, US

DraganSutic wrote:

So does playing leap frog with a table saw, but I'm in no rush to do that either, On a more serious note if you're looking to make money on zivity you're probably SOL, but if you want ot tell a story it's a way to do it and maybe get enough money for a beer out of it.

I was just looking for something to say that wouldn't get me brigged.

Sep 01 11 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

ddtphoto wrote:
Dang, this Zivity thing sounds like a lot of work. And from a photographers perspective seems like you're giving them a catalog of images too, with dubious copyright issues.

Zivity is for fun. Their licence is non-exclusive.

BTW. Some composites in your portfolio would look good there...except the site does not allow couples :-)

Sep 01 11 07:39 pm Link