Forums > General Industry > Your favourite muse

Model

Model D Nic

Phoenix, Arizona, US

i think most all women have the ability to be a muse...

Sep 25 06 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Madcitychel wrote:

Yeah, I agree, I have a pair of those scissors too - they are beautiful.

Wow,gee,really? ummmm sooo like ummmmwhats up ummmmmm yeah the stove is on why? The phone is ringing...really? ummmmm well ..like ummmm geee,ewww ummm...

Sep 25 06 08:34 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:

Wow,gee,really? ummmm sooo like ummmmwhats up ummmmmm yeah the stove is on why? The phone is ringing...really? ummmmm well ..like ummmm geee,ewww ummm...

No, no, the scissors - not the stove/phone.  I have scissors!  I actually have a stove and very cute phone with pink sparkles on it too!

Sep 26 06 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Madcitychel wrote:

No, no, the scissors - not the stove/phone.  I have scissors!  I actually have a stove and very cute phone with pink sparkles on it too!

Why do i find that easy to believe? thanks for sharing though.

Sep 26 06 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Danielle Nicole Henry wrote:

Why? that is a pretty thin response. all people have the ability to be a muse m/f.

Sep 26 06 03:55 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
...all people have the ability to be a muse m/f.

I don't think so. 

There are some requirements that can't be ignored:

A muse must be intelligent.  And that intelligence must be directed toward the artist.

She must understand both art in general and her artist(s) in particular.  (I used "she" as I'm not aware of any significant male muses.)

Muse-artist relationships always end, and usually end badly.  They must be resilient.

Muses are seldom credited by the artist.  They must be humble.

There are books written about muses.  There are also books written about models.  The books clearly distinguish the two.

It takes a very special person to be a muse - and very, very few can do it.  It's easy to mistake a model for a muse and to misuse the term, especially for a new artist for whom everything is still all sparkles and awe.  But using "muse" to describe someone who is simply a good model is like calling anyone who can read "professor."   It's a cheapening of the title.

-Don

Sep 26 06 06:50 am Link

Photographer

RDphotographics

Los Angeles, California, US

APNEA!

Sep 26 06 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

I don't think so. 

There are some requirements that can't be ignored:

A muse must be intelligent.  And that intelligence must be directed toward the artist.

She must understand both art in general and her artist(s) in particular.  (I used "she" as I'm not aware of any significant male muses.)

Muse-artist relationships always end, and usually end badly.  They must be resilient.

Muses are seldom credited by the artist.  They must be humble.

There are books written about muses.  There are also books written about models.  The books clearly distinguish the two.

It takes a very special person to be a muse - and very, very few can do it.  It's easy to mistake a model for a muse and to misuse the term, especially for a new artist for whom everything is still all sparkles and awe.  But using "muse" to describe someone who is simply a good model is like calling anyone who can read "professor."   It's a cheapening of the title.

-Don

Well Don, I dont agree with anything you have written here at all. But thats your opinion and thiws is mine. I believe a muse must inspire the artist and that is all a muse must do. The rest is BS as far as I am concerned. I dont read a book to find out what someone is to me and with over 25 years pro experience (making my living) I dont think I am some pie in the sky newby.
It does not take a very special person to be a "muse". They need have no great degree of intelligence or any great understanding of art. They do most of the time understand their artist. To say that they always end bad or that they always end is rather simplistic in the extreme in my view.
But you are welcome to find your inspiration in books and the people who have written here can find theirs where they have. So it all works out in the end.

Sep 26 06 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Artisnotanaccident

Saugerties, New York, US

I don't know if this is selfish, but I use my life as a muse...  living with stigma from a disablity growing up, having depression, loosing many loved ones, especially my father last year, and finding love- to me are all great sources to find inspiration.  Sometimes it's very theraputic to turn negative events in life into art.

Sep 26 06 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Artisnotanaccident wrote:
I don't know if this is selfish, but I use my life as a muse...  living with stigma from a disablity growing up, having depression, loosing many loved ones, especially my father last year, and finding love- to me are all great sources to find inspiration.  Sometimes it's very theraputic to turn negative events in life into art.

No its not selfish but its not a "Muse" either. Inspiration comes from many points and to many people. But a "muse" is a person who inspires you as an artist to create. Using that person as your foundation you branch out, growing as an artist and a person based on that persons effect upon your art. That is just my view and it will no doubt be different for others.

Sep 26 06 08:46 am Link

Photographer

d artiste provocateur

Madison, Wisconsin, US

So, the definition of a muse is either growing here, or narrowing from what I have read.  I've had several acquaintences and occurances with muses.  And their ability to inspire, motivate, captivate and co-create have not all been on the same plane.  Some of these unique relationships have been for years, some for months, and yes, I believe you can be uniquely inspired to a higher plane even for a weekend. 

One of my most provakative experiences overall with a muse was a long weekend where I extended my stay in Italy, after having met a wonderful woman/model.  We didn't share much as far as language.  But we could communicate.  I'm not sure how intelligent she was, but we were inspiring to each other, and spent a significant amount of time creating and capturing awe-inpiring images.

So, I dare say that an encounter with a muse knows no bounds in time, intellect, communication (in the verbal sense), as well as the other boundaries some are trying to define it with.  But if it makes you feel better about it, add in your own criteria. wink

Glad you were inspired.

Sep 26 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

LGL Underground wrote:
So, the definition of a muse is either growing here, or narrowing from what I have read.  I've had several acquaintences and occurances with muses.  And their ability to inspire, motivate, captivate and co-create have not all been on the same plane.  Some of these unique relationships have been for years, some for months, and yes, I believe you can be uniquely inspired to a higher plane even for a weekend. 

One of my most provakative experiences overall with a muse was a long weekend where I extended my stay in Italy, after having met a wonderful woman/model.  We didn't share much as far as language.  But we could communicate.  I'm not sure how intelligent she was, but we were inspiring to each other, and spent a significant amount of time creating and capturing awe-inpiring images.

So, I dare say that an encounter with a muse knows no bounds in time, intellect, communication (in the verbal sense), as well as the other boundaries some are trying to define it with.  But if it makes you feel better about it, add in your own criteria. wink

Glad you were inspired.

yup.

Sep 26 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

The level of rapport, the unspoken communication between muse and artist that result in works that seem to just fall together is something that I've been fortunate to experience once, with a model who's quit modeling but remains a dear friend. https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=309287

Oct 31 06 10:12 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

PapaVic Photography wrote:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/papavic/Dsc00031a2ndeditsmall.jpg
Image copyright 2003 Papa Vic Photography

Psh...fine then. *pout* tongue

Oct 31 06 10:18 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:

Your comment was childish , stupid , un-needed, sick, out of order, made just to inflame someone, moronic, and leads me to believe that you may be the one sitting there with those thoughts in your head . As the person put up the full image and now you look like the creep yourself.
So anyway hows Mikey and Pee Wee and Father Cunningham and Jeffery and.........

Lol...I really can't wait to see the day you get booted from MM for being an asshole to everyone who says something you dislike.

Oct 31 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

Lol...I really can't wait to see the day you get booted from MM for being an asshole to everyone who says something you dislike.

Just you pisshead.

Oct 31 06 10:39 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:

Just you pisshead.

Yeah right.

Oct 31 06 10:40 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

e-string wrote:

Yeah right.

Lol...exactly.

Oct 31 06 10:41 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
Just you pisshead.

Personal attacks and name calling are not permitted on MM.  Knock it off.

Oct 31 06 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

I think calling me an asshole is name calling?

Oct 31 06 10:54 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
I think calling me an asshole is name calling?

Yeah, I meant to quote both of you but I forgot that the quote-inside-quote thing doesn't work.  Everybody knock it off and discuss muses.

Oct 31 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

My favorite Muse song is "Supermassive Black Hole". big_smile

Oct 31 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This is a trap question for me as obviously my favorite would be my wife.  My wife is my everything but taking the "wife" out of it.....
https://www.thestudioofjamesawilliams.com./LADEADIFORMAB.jpg

MM Member Katy_T

Oct 31 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

Dear OP

I hadn't seen/heard of you before this forum post, but having read through all the posts here all I can say is, damn boy, you have some serious interpersonal commnucation issues. I've never read anyone be so snippy and condescending to posters. I can only assume you're doing this on purpose for some reason, or you got beat up a lot on the playground.

I love the various muses I've worked with three, four, five times. I won't mention their names because a) it will cheese off the OP who doesn't want a "laundry list" and b) I doubt I'll even come back to this forum since I've now had my fill of pentulant behavior for the week.

Oct 31 06 12:24 pm Link