Forums > General Industry > Tattoos Too Many and Too Perm

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

I have a few pics in my port w Tatoos
but I am somewhat against them.
Often my clients object to them or
they are not the right type for the shot.
Once a Tat is on its on for good.
Maybe tats are only good for Model sites like this and SG.
A fake one is washable and always more versatile.
It can also be worn with differ outfits and looks.
And you always have the no Tatoo look.
Its real hard getting the perfect model AND the right Tat.

So how Good are the fake washable kind
and does it not make more sense ??
stylist's and MUA's speak up ...
Show me your washables and dont worry bout being
blacklisted by Mamai Ink and Navy Sailors.

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=694149
(note this is a Real McCoy)

EL

Sep 19 06 04:42 pm Link

Model

RedheadRobyn

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

Not true, there is tattoo removal these days, quite a few different methods...though the most effective is the most costly. My flames used to be on both arms, and though it was just an outline and not colored in on my right arm, it's hard to tell it's there anymore...downside is it took a year to remove and cost $500 every 6 weeks! And since red is the most difficult color to remove it became not worth it..but don't say permanent, nothing is really permanent these days.

Sep 19 06 06:15 pm Link

Model

Chrissytina

Clearfield, Pennsylvania, US

I must say this first.. I just got my first (of many, I wil add) tatoo, a few days ago.. and i love it.. now back to the subject at hand.. I do agree in a sense, that tatoo are sometimes, actually, often out of context for a picture/shoot.. but the way I look at it is this.. I got my tatoo for a reason, as have most people.. And that tat is a part of me.. is tells something about me.. a lil piece you never knew.. so in a sense.. it partly makes me who I am.. now call me crazy, but if a model is beautiful, they are beautiful.. and if a tat is part of a person, it*s just like their eyes or smile.. in a way, it makes them beautiful as well.. so you need to acept the person, tatoos n all b/c they are a part of them n you need to realize that even though it may **throw a picture off**, the picture wouldn*t be the same w/out that model.. n that model wouldn*t be the same w/out that tat!

Sep 19 06 06:30 pm Link

Model

Beauty of Tiferet

Cleveland, Ohio, US

There's professional makeup for covering up tattoos and scars so it's not an issue if you have a pro MUA on board.

I've got two different brands of it now since sometimes I want to cover mine up (though not often).

So ... no need to remove them or not get them. Just use a pro MUA.

Sep 19 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Telephoto Studio

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Molly Black wrote:
There's professional makeup for covering up tattoos and scars so it's not an issue if you have a pro MUA on board.

I've got two different brands of it now since sometimes I want to cover mine up (though not often).

So ... no need to remove them or not get them. Just use a pro MUA.

When clients are paying, cost for removing tattoos and scars is always higher than not having to cover them up in the first place.  So when clients pay, and I have a choice between two equally talented models, I always opt for the model that will cost my client the least amount of money in make up work or post-production retouching.

Sep 19 06 06:39 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Chrissytina wrote:
I must say this first.. I just got my first (of many, I wil add) tatoo, a few days ago.. and i love it.. now back to the subject at hand.. I do agree in a sense, that tatoo are sometimes, actually, often out of context for a picture/shoot.. but the way I look at it is this.. I got my tatoo for a reason, as have most people.. And that tat is a part of me.. is tells something about me.. a lil piece you never knew.. so in a sense.. it partly makes me who I am.. now call me crazy, but if a model is beautiful, they are beautiful.. and if a tat is part of a person, it*s just like their eyes or smile.. in a way, it makes them beautiful as well.. so you need to acept the person, tatoos n all b/c they are a part of them n you need to realize that even though it may **throw a picture off**, the picture wouldn*t be the same w/out that model.. n that model wouldn*t be the same w/out that tat!

That isn't how the industry works. If a tattoo is going to throw off a picture, the photographer will find a model without a tattoo. They won't accept you as you are. There are too many other models out there eagerly waiting to get that gig.

Sep 19 06 06:43 pm Link

Model

deAa

Denver, Colorado, US

As someone who has lots of tattoos, I would say just this.

Who gives a flying fuck? I would assume your search parameters wouldn't include such difficulties like tattoos getting in the way.

I got mine because the kind, calm, cool and collected couldn't keep their eyes off of my abdomen and chest after my open heart surgery. It becomes a game of, "Oh you wanna stare eh? I'll give you something to stare at. Something I wanted, unlike all of these aortic grafting scars I have running 6 feet across my belly. Now everyone looks down their nose at the tattoos and likes to think that I somehow earned it, being so punk rock and all.

But it is all japanese and deco work I have. Yes, they are permanent, and certainly not for everyone.

I wonder why you baited this as some kind of weird philosophical questioning of people who get tattoos, though. Just tell them it's not a good idea if that's how you feel. And for you? Nuh uh, No way.

Sep 19 06 06:48 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

e-string wrote:

That isn't how the industry works. If a tattoo is going to throw off a picture, the photographer will find a model without a tattoo. They won't accept you as you are. There are too many other models out there eagerly waiting to get that gig.

Indeed. That's why once I've finished all my research and sat with my sketch for a while and I'm absolutely certain I'm ready, I plan to get my tattoo on the back of my neck. My hair will easily cover it when I need it to not be seen, but if I want to show it, I just have to pull my hair back. Unless a photographer wants a photo of my neck...problem solved smile

Sep 19 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Despite how good it looks, or how good it makes you feel ...
it's the custies in the industry that give the you the nood or the Flying F.
Cover up w makeup or 1 year laser removal is not a shoot option.
Shoot options need to be fast and cheap and therefore its most
often the model w no TaT.

I am more interested in the washable tat being put on a model
that is otherwise bear. Imagine this could even be a company logo
or a compliment to the photo.

Is there anyone out there with experience with these washable
"on in 10 min off in 10 minute" Tats ??

EL

Sep 19 06 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

EL wrote:
Despite how good it looks, or how good it makes you feel ...
it's the custies in the industry that give the you the nood or the Flying F.
Cover up w makeup or 1 year laser removal is not a shoot option.
Shoot options need to be fast and cheap and therefore its most
often the model w no TaT.

I am more interested in the washable tat being put on a model
that is otherwise bear. Imagine this could even be a company logo
or a compliment to the photo.

Is there anyone out there with experience with these washable
"on in 10 min off in 10 minute" Tats ??

EL

um, have you twigged to the fact that a good number of models and photographers here could really care less about the 'industry'?

Sep 19 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Athearn

Boulder, Colorado, US

It is simple. You have tats, I don't hire you. Period.

Sep 19 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

SKA Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

deAa wrote:
As someone who has lots of tattoos, I would say just this.

Who gives a flying fuck? I would assume your search parameters wouldn't include such difficulties like tattoos getting in the way.

I definately agree, I also have tattoos and if someone really wanted to use me for a shoot, all they need is a good MUA to cover them up.  If you don't want to use a model with tattoos, don't.  It's that simple.  Yes, they're permanent but it's the choice of each individual as to whether or not a tattoo(s) is right for them.

Sep 19 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Simple for me too. You have tats... I pay extra.

Works both ways.

Sep 19 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Pixel-Magic Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

EL wrote:
I have a few pics in my port w Tatoos
but I am somewhat against them.
Often my clients object to them or
they are not the right type for the shot.
Once a Tat is on its on for good.
Maybe tats are only good for Model sites like this and SG.
A fake one is washable and always more versatile.
It can also be worn with differ outfits and looks.
And you always have the no Tatoo look.
Its real hard getting the perfect model AND the right Tat.

So how Good are the fake washable kind
and does it not make more sense ??
stylist's and MUA's speak up ...
Show me your washables and dont worry bout being
blacklisted by Mamai Ink and Navy Sailors.

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=694149
(note this is a Real McCoy)

EL

Well said.
The East Indian Henna tattoos look very, very good and they wear off after a time.

Someone on one of the threads pointed out that just as you would not want to "permanently"  have a certain color nail polish, or a shade of lipstick, or a bracelet because it would not work with all the different looks that you may need. Why would you lock yourself into particular "tattoo"?

Yes, tattoos are not 100% permanent but as one of the comments on this thread stated 6 weeks of $500 removal sessions makes the removal not so easy or casual.

And yes, it can be covered up with makeup, but that too is an extra step, expense, time and you have to make sure it does not stain some fancy clothes you are wearing.  There is a big difference between having to cover up a small tattoo on the arm versus an arm or both arms, legs, shoulders etc.

E-String says it just right:

"That isn't how the industry works. If a tattoo is going to throw off a picture, the photographer will find a model without a tattoo. They won't accept you as you are. There are too many other models out there eagerly waiting to get that gig"

It's easier to go with a model who does not have tattoos its  less trouble, less extra work. Less maintenance.

Having or not having a tattoo in the field of modeling also says something about the model's practicality, maturity and common sense, as far as I am concerned. What happens when tattoos are no longer as fashionable as they are now?

I'm limiting this commentary to those models who are interested in a variety of modeling where tattoos may be a problem, and excluding those who only do specialized work where tattoos are not a problem at all.

If you love the idea of tattoos, great do them but try a non permanent version and live with it for a few months or a year. Change them at will without the pain or cost of permanent tatoo removal, give yourself the option to change your mind without a heavy cost.

There is an esthetic objection to tatoos. Someone else on another thread also put it sort of like this:

"A tattoo on beautiful skin is like Grafitti on the Mona Lisa"

Dan

Sep 19 06 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Curt Lout Photography

Spearfish, South Dakota, US

It is simple. You have good tats, I can get you published!

Sep 22 06 09:05 am Link

Photographer

LipstickGraphics

New Milford, New Jersey, US

My clients never want to see tatoos on the models - and I agree. I've had to turn away certain models for castings because I know the client wouldn't want to spend the extra money to retouch out the model's "Tinkerbell" (or whatever) tatoo. More and more, higher-level clients are reverting to the mindset that tatoos are cheap and vulgar looking. My own feeling is that tatoos are ugly and un-feminine.

Keep in mind, I'm entitled to my opinion........

Sep 22 06 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Red Sky Photography wrote:
Simple for me too. You have tats... I pay extra.

Works both ways.

I don't believe that Red Sky pays extra for models with tats.  I note that there isn't a single tattoo on display in his portfolio.

Sep 22 06 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Frank McAdam

New York, New York, US

Personally, I like tats.  If a model has one interestingly designed tat, I'll often include it in a fine arts shot because I think it makes the model more an individual, especially if I haven't shown her face in the pic.  On the other hand, full sleeves and huge tats that cover the body are just too overpowering, and I'll usually pass on models who have them.

Sep 22 06 09:53 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Chrissytina wrote:

No, but that doesn't negate the OP's point that for a lot of commercial modeling work the clients just don't want tattoos
Getting certain types of tats or tats in certain spots or multiple tats might be a deciding factor in what types of modeling you can, realistically, do.

Sep 22 06 10:18 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Basically I got my tattoos before I started modelling so if I lose out on any jobs, fine.  I'll live.  I'm not going to be a model forever.

Sep 22 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Frank McAdam wrote:
Personally, I like tats.  If a model has one interestingly designed tat, I'll often include it in a fine arts shot because I think it makes the model more an individual, especially if I haven't shown her face in the pic.  On the other hand, full sleeves and huge tats that cover the body are just too overpowering, and I'll usually pass on models who have them.

In a fine art shot, sure
I like them there too
The OP was talking about commercial work tho

Sep 22 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I have shot models with tats before, but right now for my work I can't use them. You are mor elikely to find photographers who can't use them than those who can.

this reminds me of a short/tall debate. Yes, shorter models can find work. No it isn't going to be as easy for them to find work. Yes there are some shorter models out there. No they don't do fashion work. Yes some very beautiful women on this site are shorter. No, that doesn't mean that you have the same chances as them if you are also shorter. and on and on and on....

Star

Sep 22 06 10:29 am Link