Forums > General Industry > question for MM moderator(s)

Photographer

Lars KC

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Someone (not me) changed one of my pics to 18+.  It's a back shot with just the top of the derriere showing.  I have no problem with this call, except that it appears to be hypocritical.  There is at least one avatar currently on display of a female that is full frontal.

Again, due respect, but what gives?

Aug 10 05 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Patience Grasshopper, Patience!
(heheh, I love that line)

Aug 10 05 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

I am not going to give details, but some of these moderators need to be careful with their new-found powers.

Aug 10 05 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

larsomatic wrote:
Someone (not me) changed one of my pics to 18+.  It's a back shot with just the top of the derriere showing.  I have no problem with this call, except that it appears to be hypocritical.  There is at least one avatar currently on display of a female that is full frontal.

It happened the same thing to me...I dont know why

Aug 10 05 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

As you can tell this site is going through lots of coding changes and some things that are supposed to work aren't, and vise versa. Bare with us and things should be much smoother shortly.

Aug 10 05 01:51 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

To add to what Dan wrote,

If it is seen and thought to be nude or no wanted as are promotional pieces that promote off site web sites as avatars then we will change them.  Is it confusing?  Sure even for us.  We are having multiple conversations on the topic every day.  That is mostly what is discussed.  These grey areas.   

They are grey areas.  And at the moment the pendulum has swung in a certain direction.

Yes,  Patience,  grasshopper,  patience.  The Moderators are human also.
You are welcome to report such things,  but there is a line between crying and reporting.   

Not all of us see the issue the same.  So even if we try to come to a consensus it still comes down to the decision of each Moderator on each given occasion.

One note though,  it is not look upon favorably to take away the 18+ note on  a nude photo if you have not discussed it with a  moderator.
Some promo pieces are being set to 18+ for they are promoting agencies,  which are not exactly welcome with open arms at the moment.

I am saying this as a moderator but without a consensus view so this is not gospel.  But the conversations are going on constantly at this point in an attempt to find a balance with the views of all the new moderators.

Thankyou

Aug 10 05 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dan Hood wrote:
Bare with us ...

I think that's how this whole thing got started!

Aug 10 05 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

And i thought they were just after me!!

Aug 10 05 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

I would look at it more as someone is watching your ass. The only thing changing it to 18 causes is anybody under 18 cant see it. People who log in can still see it fine so its just saving your butt and the site "In Case" someone complains.
In case you ask, yes people have complained here and there.

Aug 10 05 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Lars KC

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Thank you all, especially moderators, for your responses.

I chose that particular pic as my avatar because it was well within the limits of similar "back views" that were avatars when I first joined and ASSumed it was honky-dory.

Aug 10 05 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

CharliesImages wrote:
I am not going to give details, but some of these moderators need to be careful with their new-found powers.

What better way to heal ones complexes then to kiss someones ass to became a moderator and start demonstrating power.

Aug 10 05 04:01 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

MarkMarek wrote:

What better way to heal ones complexes then to kiss someones ass to became a moderator and start demonstrating power.

Maybe I should let this go but I know what I am about to say is important to all the moderators here.

First off.  to the statement.  Sure,  that is what we are a bunch of kiss asses who got here because of that and yield power like we are gods without giving explanation or reason behind a decision.

But the main point,  I wish to make is that the Mods here take pride in the fact that we do allow debate about this site,  our actions,  ourselves,   and other items of free speech and free thought.

You may not like every decision and we make mistakes.  But most of us see our positions as only the protectors against total bullshit and dishonest people.

You are welcome to debate but try not to cry about it or cry about spilt milk.   

You are welcome to have links to sites to other places.   You are welcome to debate the issues of this site.   Most of know why the debate about a specific site was slowed but the letters are still allowed.   I am not saying we are better just different.   I take pride in that.   I am new to this and it is not as easy as it looks.

Those of you who knew Reeses posts before and after her becoming a mod know of what I speak.   I admire theda for always keeping an even hand and head.

But we are human also.  We are just trying to do our best to make this place be a cool place to hang out.    A reference was made here or somewhere else that some other sites are like an office and MM is your local hangout to engage people after work with great industry conversation.

So debate and attack away,  trust me,  this crew has thick skin.  But remember that we are human.

Aug 10 05 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

^^^

Well said!

Aug 10 05 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

MarkMarek wrote:

well thats offensive...
heres something maybe you havent considered..its just possible, that maybe some of the members were asked to be moderators...i'll bet your insecure little mind didn't let you think about that...

Aug 10 05 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Doug Swinskey wrote:
well thats offensive...
heres something maybe you havent considered..its just possible, that maybe some of the members were asked to be moderators...i'll bet your insecure little mind didn't let you think about that...

Here is one who just proved me right and vented his complex on me. Thanks you didn't let me wait too long. I bet you must be scared to leave the computer, cause you might have powers here (and we already know you're well aware of the ways to show it off), but there's whole wide world out there where your MM powers don't reach. Go ahead, mock me some more, cause you can do it - you are the almighty mod.

Aug 10 05 09:54 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

MarkMarek wrote:

Here is one who just proved me right and vented his complex on me. Thanks you didn't let me wait too long. I bet you must be scared to leave the computer, cause you might have powers here (and we already know you're well aware of the ways to show it off), but there's whole wide world out there where your MM powers don't reach. Go ahead, mock me some more, cause you can do it - you are the almighty mod.

It was me that called this up again and questioned you.  So ask me.

Aug 10 05 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

MarkMarek wrote:

you suggested that moderator must have a complex, so much so that we need to kiss up to someone for some psuedo power..

i suggested to you that you were wrong..

i personally have no inferiorty complex that made me kiss up to anyone..i am a fairly self confident individual..but i'll tell you, your suggestion casts a light on your own insecurites, not anyone elses..

and FYI, i dont have to mock you, your doing a great job by yourself...

Aug 10 05 10:05 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Marek,

Take a step back from this disagreement.   Do we all not make mistakes?   Are we all not human?  I really think your original post was offensive but get to the heart of what is bothering you.

We can take it if it is an educated debate not just a back handed attack.

Aug 10 05 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

larsomatic wrote:

It wasn't me. I didn't mark your image as 18+

Doug Swinskey wrote:
heres something maybe you havent considered..its just possible, that maybe some of the members were asked to be moderators...

I was asked. No way I would volunteer for this. In fact, I turned it down at first. But, then I figured as long as I can just do it at my leisure with no expectations placed upon me for my frequency of "moderating", sure, why not?

Aug 10 05 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Now that your all here why you lock the phantom Zone??
It was already hidden!!
And passed all the first moderators examination!!

Hugs Jorgen

Aug 10 05 10:44 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Hugh  Jorgen wrote:
Now that your all here why you lock the phantom Zone??
It was already hidden!!
And passed all the first moderators examination!!

Hugs Jorgen

Because a few went about making Phantom not 'Phantom" anymore.

And that was a decision from above.  You just abused it.

Aug 10 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Being a moderator is much like being an umpire, an overall thankless job. If everything is running smooth, very few care to thank the moderators or administrators. But as soon as things go astray and disagreeable- find the nearest moderator and off with their head.

Everyone should try being a moderator and see how much fun it is.
Most moderators do it because they actually care about the site they are on, they certainly aren't doing it for the money or the glory.

Robert

Aug 10 05 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

MarkMarek wrote:
Here is one who just proved me right and vented his complex on me. Thanks you didn't let me wait too long. I bet you must be scared to leave the computer, cause you might have powers here

Dear Mark;

If you take a look at Robert's post ^^^ , he hit the nail accurately on the head.

Most of the moderators are over 20,000 members here before you came along.

The moderators care a lot about this site, because they saw it grow from it's beginnings.

So, making such assessments and insulting, even patronizing statements are just plainly out of line!

Doug, MHana and the other moderators are all accomplished industry professionals and donate their time for something they believe in.

Not sure what your experience is on other sites with moderators, but I think that you should give it time and check out the dynamics on here.

Then you insult Doug, he retorts and you seem to be "hurt" and retaliate with further derogatory comments.

Not sure what your deal is, but it's certainly not the best way to enter a new community.

Regards

Udo

Aug 10 05 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

MHana wrote:

Because a few went about making Phantom not 'Phantom" anymore.

And that was a decision from above.  You just abused it.

Oh Just Groovy!!

Aug 10 05 11:35 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Welcome to my world, boys.

Aug 11 05 01:08 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

bring it on...

Aug 11 05 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

It is all balance.
Pick some good mods.
Pick some bad mods.

Then we got balance in the force again.

Go figure :-)

Aug 11 05 07:44 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

bad mods..."Always two there are, a master and an apprentice"

Aug 11 05 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
bad mods..."Always two there are, a master and an apprentice"

I could really say something here............

:-P

But, I will be nice........

Ok, Maybe not......

Yeah, I will be nice, I have 1 more day until Vacation..... nice Ty Nice Ty!
Sit ubu Sit!

Aug 11 05 07:51 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

MarkMarek wrote:

oooh oooh! I know a better way!

Pay to go to a tourist trap in Mexico to compete in a rigged contest shooting for someone else's catalog so you can pretend you are a real photographer!!!

Aug 11 05 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Since I got a Mod looking here.

can you either resticky this thread

Copyright, Right to Privacy and Fair Use Links
Or explain why you unstickied it in the first place?

Since removing the sticky, 3 threads have popped up (or been hijacked) that this thread would have answered for them.

There is nothing in this thread that is false or misleading, All the links are legitimate resources to help a photographer and / or Model understand their rights.

It does not contain opinions, it contains site links to laws and interpretations from legal experts.

Aug 11 05 07:56 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Lars..what gives...
you have access to this great resource, with only a couple of rules, one of which is

"[5] AVATAR. Again, we would like to keep ModelMayhem.com a "work-safe" environment. And since your avatar is open to the public, nudity or any other obscene material ("bloodwork", bondage, etc) is not allowed. If you are unsure if your avatar is acceptable, change it. Simple as that."

now being a photographer that loves capturing the female form and enjoys your work tremendously..

i have to wonder what is it you dont understand?...
if your model has no clothes..she is nude...

ya know you can make the mods look like ball busters..
but if you followed the rules..and you governed yourself, no one else would have to..

just a curious question...

Aug 11 05 08:13 am Link

Photographer

ishutter photography

Milton, Ontario, Canada

What's the big deal with tagging 18+ on someone's image?  It's not like the mods are using magic markers to draw panties and bras over your pics.  There are models here that are under 18 and if that's the least that the mods can do without offending the "artist" then power to them!  Lighten up people.

Aug 11 05 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

XtremeArtists wrote:
Pay to go to a tourist trap in Mexico to compete in a rigged contest shooting for someone else's catalog so you can pretend you are a real photographer!!!

Ouch, that's going to leave a mark.

Aug 11 05 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

MarkMarek wrote:

Me thinks somebody (who will undoubtedly deny it) really wanted to be a moderator but couldn't so now is pissing and moaning about it.
You have some issues to work out and I'm afraid moderators cant help you with those.

Aug 11 05 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Eldor

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Dan Hood wrote:
Bare with us and things should be much smoother shortly.

Oh Dan, I'm sure that's just a typo, but in the context of this board, it's really quite funny.  Bare with us!  smile

Aug 11 05 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Eldor wrote:
Oh Dan, I'm sure that's just a typo, but in the context of this board, it's really quite funny.  Bare with us!  smile

Hey Eldor, MM rules state (shortly) only one ball busting post per spelling error. Your over the limit pal.............smile

Aug 11 05 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Dan Hood wrote:

Me thinks somebody (who will undoubtedly deny it) really wanted to be a moderator but couldn't so now is pissing and moaning about it.
You have some issues to work out and I'm afraid moderators cant help you with those.

So if I complain about certain people that I think are bad mods, I have this underlying desire to be a mod and am pissing and moaning because I did not become one?

Um.... Ok.
I did not know the job was available.... Next time I will send my resume in earlier...
let's see....
Sick sense of humor.
Low tolerance for Stupidity
Tendency to assume people have a bit of common sense.
Tendency to assume if I say something here and then something there that here and there are not equal and therefore they do not equate to the same thing.
Tendency to call a Spade a Spade and a Heart a Heart, regardless of who or what it is.
Defender of the the First amendment to the extreme.....

Do I qualify yet?

Please!!!

There are mods that think other mods are bad mods as well.
Mods are mods and have their own tendencies, and if we, as the ones being moderated, do not approve of a draconian mod, we either, Complain until the Mod is removed, Quit posting completely (which makes this site less attractive) or Leave all together which is starting to happen already.

I am more mature in that I complain straight to Tyler and let him take it for what it is worth.

But others feel better getting support first, and to me that is fine too (not calling them immature btw...)

Aug 11 05 08:40 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

I remember when I turned 18 and learned what naked people look like. It was shocking!

I know, 18 is the government's rule, not the moderators, but isn't it just ridiculous to think that on day 364 of your 17th year you're innocent and vulnerable and must be protected from ugly sights then on day 365 you're all grown up and ready to deal with the nasty reality that people have nipples and genitals? Even the moderators must conform to the silliness of a puritan society.

Aug 11 05 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Eldor

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Dan Hood wrote:
Hey Eldor, MM rules state (shortly) only one ball busting post per spelling error. Your over the limit pal.............smile

Hey Dan... Don't you mean, "You're" over the limit?  smile  smile  smile

Aug 11 05 08:41 am Link