Forums > General Industry > How do you respond to such idiocy?

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

So, I'm working an event last night.  A "respected local artist" is hauling out equipment & running a local film fest, and I'm working for the venue (who were promoting it) documenting the event.
The artist walks by as I'm unpacking equipment & glances at my D70s.
A few minutes later I walk over to see where they're setting up so I can plan shots.
She says "So you're the photographer?  Well I'M a photographer too.  But *I* shoot FILM.  I use a classic Nikon F3."
I blinked and said "That's nice.  I shoot film too, I have two Canon AE1 Programs with me, I left my Yashica 6X6 at home."
She pauses and then says "Oh.  Well I process all my black & white and have full darkroom experience."
Me: "Me too.  I taught for a year in high school as an ADDitions volunteer in a darkroom, and 2 terms as a TA in college."
Her: "Well, I do platinum printing for my gallery work."
Me: "So do I."
Her: "I guess I'll get back to work."

So I walk back to my equipment and am getting set.
One of the venue staff walks over & is asking about some of my equipment.
He asks about one of my "funny looking lenes" and the artist walks up as I'm saying "Well technically it's a macro lens, but with the macro adaptor removed it can work from some distance as a good normal angle lens, and it's an F2.8, the best low light lens I own, so I can shoot some long exposures of the front row with just reflected light from the screen.  That's hard to do with digital as they rarely have lenses much better than an F4.5"
The artist says "Oh gee.  I guess you're better than I am.  I don't know all that TECHNICAL stuff, I just take pictures of what FEELS right."

I sort of did a double take & I'm thinking "someone who brags about their darkroom work & shooting with an old Nikon F3 and she doesn't know what I mean when I talk about the lens rating and all that 'technical stuff'?  What the hell?"
But I just sort of had to smile and say "That's nice."
She's a good friend of my client, after all.
But I mean SERIOUSLY.  This's someone who was trying to trash me for using digital then hassle me about her "mad skillz" after.

I mainly wanted to rant a little, but can we legitamtely put people like that in the chipper????

Sep 17 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

SLE Photography wrote:
I mainly wanted to rant a little, but can we legitamtely put people like that in the chipper????

Yeah, but save her gear!

And if she has a film scanner, send it my way!!!!!

Sep 17 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

OMG! I run into that sooooooo much. Why is it, artists (of really any kind) are such egotistical bastards always trying to one up one another??? Lol...

Sep 17 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I'd say by the red spatter on my white shirt received after reading this... You just did.

Sep 17 06 12:03 pm Link

Model

RedheadRobyn

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Oh I love you!!! So I'm NOT the only person with the idea of tossing morons into a chipper shredder?!?!!! Now the only question is, how to dispose of the human waste after they are shredded? my ex suggests we give it to the fish but then we in turn would eat the fish slowly making us as stupid as the people we dispose of...so what would be the solution? any ideas? LMAO

*Disclaimer: this is a JOKE, so anyone about to post or report that I'm some homicidal maniac, don't bother, it's not meant seriously..I can just relate to the poster's frustration (Geez, it's sad I felt it necessary to post a disclaimer)

Sep 17 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

SLE Photography wrote:
She says "So you're the photographer?  Well I'M a photographer too.  But *I* shoot FILM.  I use a classic Nikon F3."
I blinked and said "That's nice.  I shoot film too, I have two Canon AE1 Programs with me, I left my Yashica 6X6 at home."
She pauses and then says "Oh.  Well I process all my black & white and have full darkroom experience."
Me: "Me too.  I taught for a year in high school as an ADDitions volunteer in a darkroom, and 2 terms as a TA in college."

you:  hey wait.  let's go behind the curtain and whip-it-out.  you're perfect for that.

Sep 17 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

RedheadRobyn wrote:

Oh I love you!!! So I'm NOT the only person with the idea of tossing morons into a chipper shredder?!?!!! Now the only question is, how to dispose of the human waste after they are shredded? my ex suggests we give it to the fish but then we in turn would eat the fish slowly making us as stupid as the people we dispose of...so what would be the solution? any ideas? LMAO

*Disclaimer: this is a JOKE, so anyone about to post or report that I'm some homicidal maniac, don't bother, it's not meant seriously..I can just relate to the poster's frustration (Geez, it's sad I felt it necessary to post a disclaimer)

The only people who feel the need to post disclaimers are really guilty.  So, we're onto you now.

Sep 17 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

jeffrey david cohn

Clyde, North Carolina, US

So, at the end of the evening, you introduced this 'artist' to your personal chipper.
what you don't have one???

Diesel powered chippers a mighty fine.. but for those of you who are environmentalist-
they have an ultra efficient electric model- check the specs

Turns brushy yard waste into free mulch
Transforms branches with leaves and other debris into moisture-retaining, nutrient-rich organic mulch - great for improving soil texture and weed suppression
Tappered hopper and inclined chute reduces shredding time and speeds up efficient top feeding
No fumes to inhale or dangerous fuels to spill
Powerful 1800 Watt / 15 Amp motor
Simple maintenance and storage
Maximum cutting diameter - 1"
Hopper Size - 14.55" x 9" x 7 1/2"
Not recommended for voluminous amounts of soft wastes like leaves, pine needles and grass clippings -
Double sided shredding / mulching blade for double cutting life 

goto composters.com

fun for the ecologically concerned...

lets keep the environment clean and free from pollution

Sep 17 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

thats pretty funny ... beware the ego maniac artists......

Sep 17 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

My usual response to that type of attitude about my gear is "Eh... it does what I need the way I want, and my clients are happy to pay for the end product... why waste my time and money on something just to have something to brag about?"

I'll usually get a dirty look and some snide comment between the teeth but they leave me alone after that.

Sep 17 06 12:23 pm Link

Model

Sultry1

Monticello, Indiana, US

SLE Photography wrote:
So, I'm working an event last night.  A "respected local artist" is hauling out equipment & running a local film fest, and I'm working for the venue (who were promoting it) documenting the event.
The artist walks by as I'm unpacking equipment & glances at my D70s.
A few minutes later I walk over to see where they're setting up so I can plan shots.

So I walk back to my equipment and am getting set.
One of the venue staff walks over & is asking about some of my equipment.
He asks about one of my "funny looking lenes" and the artist walks up as I'm saying "Well technically it's a macro lens, but with the macro adaptor removed it can work from some distance as a good normal angle lens, and it's an F2.8, the best low light lens I own, so I can shoot some long exposures of the front row with just reflected light from the screen.  That's hard to do with digital as they rarely have lenses much better than an F4.5"
The artist says "Oh gee.  I guess you're better than I am.  I don't know all that TECHNICAL stuff, I just take pictures of what FEELS right."

I sort of did a double take & I'm thinking "someone who brags about their darkroom work & shooting with an old Nikon F3 and she doesn't know what I mean when I talk about the lens rating and all that 'technical stuff'?  What the hell?"
But I just sort of had to smile and say "That's nice."
She's a good friend of my client, after all.
But I mean SERIOUSLY.  This's someone who was trying to trash me for using digital then hassle me about her "mad skillz" after.

is just me maybe ...but sounds like she needs a good spankin big_smile that orrrrrrrr she's just mad cause got tore down before she knew what hit her wink either way ppl like that tend to REALLY tick me off ...they want to ACT like they know what they are talking about but in the end they don't have the brains God gave a pi$$ant wink

Sep 17 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Colleges [supposedly] producing fine arts photographers produce [often pseudo-photographer] artists like that. I met a student a while back starting their 3rd year of one of those courses that couldn't tell you the difference between an f stop and a stop sign... 2 full years of photographic "arts" study already completed and no technical education in photography at all. Bizarre but true. I do believe that is why we see such awful crap called "fine art photography" circulating in the netherworld of the arts community. It seems as if they are handed a camera at some point, and without the instruction manual, told to "Go forth and create [art]" Ipso facto... what ever they do create must be "art."

Now that, teaching art first with photography as the mere medium, is as opposed to a school that teaches [technical and technique] photography first and art [in the photographic medium] as the desired outcome.

Studio36

Sep 17 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Cameraviews

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

SLE Photography wrote:
That's hard to do with digital as they rarely have lenses much better than an F4.5"

are you saying lenses faster than f4.5 in the dslr world are rare...?

Sep 17 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

studio36uk wrote:
Colleges [supposedly] producing fine arts photographers produce [often pseudo-photographer] artists like that. I met a student a while back starting their 3rd year of one of those courses that couldn't tell you the difference between an f stop and a stop sign... 2 full years of photographic "arts" study already completed and no technical education in photography at all. Bizarre but true. I do believe that is why we see such awful crap called "fine art photography" circulating in the netherworld of the arts community. It seems as if they are handed a camera at some point, and without the instruction manual, told to "Go forth and create [art]"

Now that, teaching art first with photography as the mere medium, is as opposed to a school that teaches [technical and technique] photography first and art [in the photographic medium] as the desired outcome.

Studio36

This is also true of other art media, whether it is oil on canvas, sculpture, charcoal, etc.  There is no technique taught.  It's considered an inhibition of the artistic talent.  [BULLSHIT!] If an artist cannot demonstrate basic technique in their chosen media, then they do not produce art, IMHO, but accidents posturing as art.

Sep 17 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Bonita Photography

Bonita, California, US

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

Are the two mutually exclusive?  Can't you learn to become an artist and an expert in the medium of choice at the same time?  My idea of an "artist" is someone who uses a medium to evoke an emotion, reguardless of the medium used.  Singing, acting, painting, drawing, etc.  I know painters who are perfect "drafter persons".  They can create a detailed image with almost perfect photographic detail....but the image is dead.  It says nothing.  On the other hand I know painters that are not so "draft person talented" who can create an image that will slew me through a wide range of emotions.  I'm not sure a school can teach someone to be an artist.  Maybe they can point the way.  Kevin

Sep 17 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

How would I respond to such nonsense? 

her:  "yap yap yadda yadda blah blah blah"
me:  "Oh, wow that's really impressive!  Hey, do you have a second?  I want to show you my favorite piece of equipment.  I have this very kewl completely manual Max Gore that I use on my model shoots...  Oh, you've never heard of Max Gore?  It's the best.  They don't make 'em like this anymore...  Er, the lens?  It's uh... the lens is reeeaally small.  But it's there nonetheless... Huh?  Oh, Max Gore is the make and "chipper" is the model... Yeah, you're right, chipper is a weird name for a camera... Er, sure.  Just lean your head in this end to see...  You can't see anything?  Oh, silly me, I didn't advance the film.  Since this chipper is fully manual I'll have to turn this crank here on the side to get it going.  Yeah, just lean into a little more..."

:::Disclaimer:  Mr. Bowman has never tried to pass off his antique Max Gore chipper as a camera.  It's just a conversation piece because the crank is broken.  Which is a good thing, because he would probably try to use it if it worked.  end Disclaimer:::

Sep 17 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

i still suggest chippin any photographer who insists on calling themselves an 'artist' and refers to the result of their various bodily functions as 'art'. the pretension alone is sufficient.

Sep 17 06 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

My response:

"Wow cool!  I don't have nearly as much film experience as you... but I'm wondering... with your head so far up your ass what filmspeed and aperture do you use?"

Sep 17 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

CaneegaPhotography

Dublin, Georgia, US

I understand where you're coming from.  I am by no means a tech genius or "the" best photographer in the world.....love the craft and the people.   So when other photographer's seem a little threatened by your work/equipment...........chalk it up to their insecurities and maybe just ........let it go:-)

Sep 17 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Ever notice that "Artists" that have not yet "Arrived" who are broke as fuck always have an attitude?  As if we should bow down to them because they are "Artists".  Fuck that!

To be a "True Artist" you must have a body of work.  Not an attitude!

Just because you believe you are an "Artist" does not mean the world owes you anything!

Until you accumulate a body of work and have earned the title of "Artist" keep your Holier Than Thou attitude next to your head, in your ass where it belongs...

Sep 17 06 02:22 pm Link

Model

RedheadRobyn

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

PK Digital Imaging wrote:
My response:

"Wow cool!  I don't have nearly as much film experience as you... but I'm wondering... with your head so far up your ass what filmspeed and aperture do you use?"

LOL go you! that was amusing

Sep 17 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Hamza wrote:
Ever notice that "Artists" that have not yet "Arrived" who are broke as fuck always have an attitude?  As if we should bow down to them because they are "Artists".  Fuck that!

Just because you believe you are an "Artist" does not mean the world owes you anything!

Until you accumulate a body of work and have earned the title of "Artist" keep your Holier Than Thou attitude next to your head, in your ass where it belongs...

Actually, in my area, a good number of "Artists" are what are known as "trustafarians." 

Santa Cruz county, SC hills, average price for a home something like 1 million.  Most of the craftspeople, artisans have long since had to flee the area unless they had somehow managed to buy their home 20 years ago.

What's left is a large mix of trustafarians who in truth, are not really broke.  They're just playing like they are.  They have an attitude because it goes along with the lie and the stinky cigarettes they smoke.

Sep 17 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

My response:

see the top anal photographers thread

Sep 17 06 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

David Michael

Independence, Missouri, US

Rossi Photography wrote:
Why is it, artists (of really any kind) are such egotistical bastards always trying to one up one another??? Lol...

Whew! Glad photograpers aren't that way! ;-)

Sep 17 06 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

studio36uk wrote:
Colleges [supposedly] producing fine arts photographers produce [often pseudo-photographer] artists like that. I met a student a while back starting their 3rd year of one of those courses that couldn't tell you the difference between an f stop and a stop sign... 2 full years of photographic "arts" study already completed and no technical education in photography at all. Bizarre but true. I do believe that is why we see such awful crap called "fine art photography" circulating in the netherworld of the arts community. It seems as if they are handed a camera at some point, and without the instruction manual, told to "Go forth and create [art]" Ipso facto... what ever they do create must be "art."

Studio36

I chatted with a fine arts photographer lately that didn't realize that you weren't supposed to point the camera at the sun, since it causes reflections from each lens element.  He may have thought all those scattering centers were artistic.

Sep 17 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Usually when I run into someone who is clearly a lot cooler than I am, I just blurt it right out,
"Wow, you're a lot cooler than I am!"

mjr.

Sep 17 06 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

RedheadRobyn wrote:

Oh, you haven't visited THE THREAD
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?t … 1&page=120
If you jump back somewhere around the 60 or 70 page mark we started advocating putting models' escorts & models who insist on them in the chipper, and it's become a leit motif there now where we have chipper pics, chipper pate recipes, composting tips, etc etc

Sep 17 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

jeffcfetish wrote:
So, at the end of the evening, you introduced this 'artist' to your personal chipper.
what you don't have one???

I flew up
FAA won't allow them on the plane
I need to lure her back to my client's facility & put her thru their mulcher

Sep 17 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

SLE Photography wrote:
That's hard to do with digital as they rarely have lenses much better than an F4.5"

Bill Hudson wrote:
are you saying lenses faster than f4.5 in the dslr world are rare...?

They're not as common or affordable, in general, for dlsrs that're designed for AF lenses.  At least not for the Nikon series I use or a number of the Canons I shopped for.

Sep 17 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

kevin atkinson wrote:
Are the two mutually exclusive?  Can't you learn to become an artist and an expert in the medium of choice at the same time?  My idea of an "artist" is someone who uses a medium to evoke an emotion, reguardless of the medium used.  Singing, acting, painting, drawing, etc.  I know painters who are perfect "drafter persons".  They can create a detailed image with almost perfect photographic detail....but the image is dead.  It says nothing.  On the other hand I know painters that are not so "draft person talented" who can create an image that will slew me through a wide range of emotions.  I'm not sure a school can teach someone to be an artist.  Maybe they can point the way.  Kevin

Difference being that it doesn't take any real knowledge of the tool or special training to use a pencil or piece of charcoal
It does to operate a camera well

Sep 17 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Hamza wrote:

This one is a Long Island housewife with some local recognition and a rich husband LOL

Sep 17 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Bonita Photography

Bonita, California, US

SLE Photography wrote:
Difference being that it doesn't take any real knowledge of the tool or special training to use a pencil or piece of charcoal
It does to operate a camera well

I really wish that were true for me, not that my camera skills are all that good, but I'm having a much harder time mastering the stick.   The hand eye coordination of producing a good drawing, with all the various arrays of pencil types, blending techniques, getting the porportions correct, moving from light to shadow, the list is endless.  Then painting...the color wheel, mixing paint correctly, how to produce shadows of the same color as the light areas of an image, this list goes on and on also.  I've heard by some that learning the camera is more of a left brain function so maybe my EE background helped me there and I just need to switch over to right brain.  Kevin

Sep 17 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

kevin atkinson wrote:
Can't you learn to become an artist and an expert in the medium of choice at the same time? Kevin

Yes, but the point is that the arts schools are not teaching technique, or technical aspects of photography, beyond loading the camera. They seem to concentrate only creation of what the artist wants to call "art". How they arrive at the finished product is entirely up to them. Wonky, out of focus, badly exposed shots are taught to be art just as a pure, technically excellent, image can be art, and worse teaching that the two are equivalent "art"... one as valid as the other. Maybe true as "art,"  in the minds of the arts community, but certainly not true as photography in the minds of the photographic community.

Technically inept crap may be "art" to the arts facists but it is still, to a photographer's eye, technically inept crap.

Technically excellent crap is a whole other matter. LOL

Studio36

Sep 17 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

My response:

oldguysrule wrote:
see the top anal photographers thread

And talking about anal photogrpahers... lets see... shooting out your ass must be something like a 2seconds @ f180 with 400asa in bright daylight. LOL Think pinhole!

Studio36

Sep 17 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Bonita Photography

Bonita, California, US

studio36uk wrote:
Yes, but the point is that the arts schools are not teaching technique, or technical aspects of photography, beyond loading the camera.
Studio36

I guess I got lucky.  My instuctor of three semesters of B&W spent the better part of class on "mechanics".  The zone system I don't think I'll ever forget.  We had quizzes on ever aspect of camera operation. At the beggining of the semester we calibrated our camera to the enlargers to eliminate the need of test strips.  Kevin

Sep 17 06 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

kevin atkinson wrote:
I guess I got lucky.  My instuctor of three semesters of B&W spent the better part of class on "mechanics".  The zone system I don't think I'll ever forget.  We had quizzes on ever aspect of camera operation. At the beggining of the semester we calibrated our camera to the enlargers to eliminate the need of test strips.  Kevin

I have seen that done as well but only for the UK's City and Guilds [aka C&G] "PHOTOGRAPHY" courses and similar training... not for [non-photography] arts students working in the photographic medium.

I was mentoring for one C&G class and the techniques and camera operation were indeed taught first and in depth; darkroom and printing second; with a smattering of other subjects related to "imaging" [pinhole and computer imaging]. I even worked on a project of imaging without light [making radiographs with radioactive mineral specimins as the exposure source] The course objective was to create competent photographs not to create unstructured "art" per se.

If you wanted to learn photography rather then learning to create "art" you were in the right place, and the right training, for that.

Studio36

Sep 17 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Nathan

Los Angeles, California, US

It aint the bow... It's the archer.

Gear means nothing.

studio36uk wrote:

I have seen that done as well but only for the UK's City and Guilds [aka C&G] "PHOTOGRAPHY" courses and similar training... not for [non-photography] arts students working in the photographic medium.

I was mentoring for one class and the techniques and camera operation were indeed taught first and in depth; darkroom and printing second; with a smattering of other subjects related to "imaging" [pinhole and computer imaging]. I even worked on a project of imaging without light [making radiographs with radioactive mineral specimins as the exposure source] The course objective was to create competent photographs not to create unstructured "art" per se.

If you wanted to learn photography rather then learning to create "art" you were in the right place, and the right training, for that.

Studio36

Sep 17 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

kevin atkinson wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly--I see "photographers" on a daily basis that have more money than brains.

I have a BS in Physics, and approach photography a little differently. I only shoot film,  I could design a fair set of optics, and I do my own darkroom work most of the time. I have nothing against digital stuff. I just don't like BATTERIES.

Sep 17 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Tsk.

Don't you know when a girl is hitting on you?

Sep 17 06 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Moab, Utah, US

SLE Photography wrote:

They're not as common or affordable, in general, for dlsrs that're designed for AF lenses.  At least not for the Nikon series I use or a number of the Canons I shopped for.

Were you shopping at Wallmart?
Just taking a guess:)

Sep 17 06 10:32 pm Link