Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

Cleaning is so subtle, when I found you it made me laugh very hard. Now I need to clean.

Alas, hope shines eternal.

Sep 17 06 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

WE WON, 34 TO 7, YEAH WE BEAT THE lions!

Good job, Bob.  I'm proud of you for winning that game.

Sep 17 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

There are several threads going on at the moment and they reflect an underlying current in people I have never understood. Pride in things... Pride in something you had nothing to do with, WTF is that all about.

Well, I would venture to say that without pride, people would be without motivation to do many things.  It's a desire to be proud of something.  Take away that and a lot of people would give up whatever they are doing.  They want to be proud of this thing or that, or have someone else be proud of what they do or how.

I don't think it's always a bad thing...

Sep 27 06 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

I take pride in my daughter, my wife, my work and my mom. I believe you should be proud if you put in a valid effort. I dont think you should allow pride to blind you. Or use it to berate others.
Perhaps if more people had pride in themselves instead of their things many of the social problems we face would not be so dire or pressing.

Sep 27 06 07:09 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
I take pride in my daughter, my wife, my work and my mom. I believe you should be proud if you put in a valid effort. I dont think you should allow pride to blind you. Or use it to berate others.
Perhaps if more people had pride in themselves instead of their things many of the social problems we face would not be so dire or pressing.

"Valid effort" being the operative phrase. Perspective is good and in short supply....

I'm watching ANTM cuz my daughter said it was her fav show (and I've never watched it before).  I can't over how much these girls are total divas and I keep thinking "Girl, you just ain't all that." Talk about misplaced pride.

Man... I gotta have a talk with my daughter.

Sep 27 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

I have an alcoholic friend who only drinks meade he special orders over the internet.  To him, because he only indulges in archaic fancy booze, he is 100 times better than your average drunk.  Broke perhaps, but at least it's not the bottom shelf "Vodka" brand vodka the rest of us lowlifes drink that's making him act like a jackass.

Sep 27 06 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Mayanlee wrote:

"Valid effort" being the operative phrase. Perspective is good and in short supply....

I'm watching ANTM cuz my daughter said it was her fav show (and I've never watched it before).  I can't over how much these girls are total divas and I keep thinking "Girl, you just ain't all that." Talk about misplaced pride.

Man... I gotta have a talk with my daughter.

I hear you, since reality TV came about I have not been able to watch the damn thing. My daughter is from another planet and she just informed me of it. When I say pride in themselves I mean in themselves not in what they are wearing or dating or driving. Pride in something that they have done or helped someone else to achieve. Valid effort is the the easiest thing to take pride in.

Sep 27 06 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Pride in things. Things they own such as film cameras or the latest big digital camera, ways of doing someTHING such as...

I think the root of it is that people have to make decisions about how they want to do things. These decisions represent a financial, emotional, and time investment. So, you have to do a fair bit to achieve an internal conviction that you've made the right decision, and that effect is stronger the more important the decision happens to be. This effect takes place everywhere - people's choices of beliefs about religion, what cars are good, art, food, etc, etc.

The place where it all gets sticky is that people seldom seem to realize the fact that a decision that works for person 'A' may not be the right decision for person 'B'. I think it's just because we generalize our own experiences - the path we took after we reached a particular decision is always much clearer (and makes more sense) AFTER we've walked it. It takes a special kind of open-mindedness to always try to approach familiar problems differently. That's a great experiment to play with yourself, by the way: identify a problem and try to solve it 4 different ways. I bet that, by the time you're done, you'll have learned a lot more about the problem than just using the "tried and true."

So, what I think you're seeing is a side-effect of people's knowing what works for them and therefore being puzzled about why anyone would want to try anything different. And it also makes sense, if you think about it for a few moments, why someone would see a person doing things a different way and think "what a retard!" For example, there are some effects I can achieve effortlessly in a darkroom that might take me an hour to get in photoshop. So if I see someone doing all this stuff in photoshop I might think "what a retard! he could do that in seconds in a darkroom!"  Meanwhile, because he's gotten so good with photoshop that he isn't even aware of what he's doing, it's effortless for HIM and he's thinking "what a retard! he's getting his hands covered with chemicals and has to drive 10 miles to his darkroom and wait for paper to dry!"  So, in that example, there is a dialog between 2 ways of doing something. But there are 3, 4, 5, a hundred different ways and all the followers of each different path can look at the others and think "what a retard!" wink

At this point I've invested about 20 years in learning wet darkroom processes, and 10 in learning photoshop. I'm sure that if a new 3rd option came along ("bio photo holography!") I'd get all curmudgeonly! smile

mjr.

Oct 01 06 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

I think the root of it is that people have to make decisions about how they want to do things. These decisions represent a financial, emotional, and time investment. So, you have to do a fair bit to achieve an internal conviction that you've made the right decision, and that effect is stronger the more important the decision happens to be. This effect takes place everywhere - people's choices of beliefs about religion, what cars are good, art, food, etc, etc.

The place where it all gets sticky is that people seldom seem to realize the fact that a decision that works for person 'A' may not be the right decision for person 'B'. I think it's just because we generalize our own experiences - the path we took after we reached a particular decision is always much clearer (and makes more sense) AFTER we've walked it. It takes a special kind of open-mindedness to always try to approach familiar problems differently. That's a great experiment to play with yourself, by the way: identify a problem and try to solve it 4 different ways. I bet that, by the time you're done, you'll have learned a lot more about the problem than just using the "tried and true."

So, what I think you're seeing is a side-effect of people's knowing what works for them and therefore being puzzled about why anyone would want to try anything different. And it also makes sense, if you think about it for a few moments, why someone would see a person doing things a different way and think "what a retard!" For example, there are some effects I can achieve effortlessly in a darkroom that might take me an hour to get in photoshop. So if I see someone doing all this stuff in photoshop I might think "what a retard! he could do that in seconds in a darkroom!"  Meanwhile, because he's gotten so good with photoshop that he isn't even aware of what he's doing, it's effortless for HIM and he's thinking "what a retard! he's getting his hands covered with chemicals and has to drive 10 miles to his darkroom and wait for paper to dry!"  So, in that example, there is a dialog between 2 ways of doing something. But there are 3, 4, 5, a hundred different ways and all the followers of each different path can look at the others and think "what a retard!" wink

At this point I've invested about 20 years in learning wet darkroom processes, and 10 in learning photoshop. I'm sure that if a new 3rd option came along ("bio photo holography!") I'd get all curmudgeonly! smile

mjr.

You are very smart.

Oct 01 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

That's a dumb statement and doesn't even come close to making sense.

Oh it makes sense alright. Pride is something that will make you feel good about yourself or your creations. Bad pride is the feeling of being so proud one has to knock someone else's finished work in order to make theirs seem better.

Anyway that's how it seems here on MM. It's weird being in an environment where the photographers, instead of being constructive towards new photographers, are more critical and can only site the amount of years training and in the business as if they were never beginners. It's the ability of pushing one's self up a level by pushing someone else down.

Am I talking in circles again? I'll stop now, thank you.

Oct 01 06 10:59 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Pride is never good, it's even a SIN in Christian doctrin.
Pride is the EGO and not to be bloated...& never good
But self esteem is.
Humility is.
Ability and know-how is! But no need to be PROUD about it.

Oct 01 06 11:52 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

Jay Bowman wrote:

Well, I would venture to say that without pride, people would be without motivation to do many things.  It's a desire to be proud of something.  Take away that and a lot of people would give up whatever they are doing.  They want to be proud of this thing or that, or have someone else be proud of what they do or how.

I don't think it's always a bad thing...

you think everyone just does stuff to show off?

wow.

Oct 01 06 11:52 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

Dredful Jaymz wrote:

... Pride is something that will make you feel good about yourself or your creations. Bad pride is the feeling of being so proud one has to knock someone else's finished work in order to make theirs seem better.....

PRIDE  that is, doing it to feel superior, is not the same as FULFILMENT doing what you felt was right and getting resuts or being satisfied.
That is what some of them may be trying to say...achievements, make you feel good.

Madonna told me that confidence comes from setting yourself goals and achieving them.
Good advice.
...No need to be an A-hole about it and swell up with PRIDE tho!!!

Oct 01 06 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

Anjel Britt wrote:
PRIDE  that is, doing it to feel superior, is not the same as FULFILMENT doing what you felt was right and getting resuts or being satisfied.

I don't want to start an argument about semantics but you're somewhat reinterpreting the meaning of the word "pride." For example, many dictionary definitions include words such as "self respect" "accomplishment" and "honor" as other positive value-words in the definition of "pride."  You appear to be interpreting "pride" as solely a negative - perhaps more like what one might term "arrogance."

These things are deeply personal and open to interpretation, and when people discuss intangibles like "pride" and "arrogance" and "beauty" it's very easy to go astray and fall into semantic heat-death. Then we all wind up arguing what "is" is. wink

"Reputation is what others know of you. Honor - is what you know about yourself"
    - Lois McMaster Bujold

mjr.

Oct 02 06 12:09 am Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

Los Angeles, California, US

I think false pride is negative.  But being proud of your work is fine.   As long as you don't rub it in peoples' faces (ie. being modest about the quality of your work).

So I don't think pride is the issue.  Perhaps arrogance is a better word.

Oct 02 06 12:16 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
I don't want to start an argument about semantics but you're somewhat reinterpreting the meaning of the word "pride." For example, many dictionary definitions include words such as "self respect" "accomplishment" and "honor" as other positive value-words in the definition of "pride."  You appear to be interpreting "pride" as solely a negative - perhaps more like what one might term "arrogance."

These things are deeply personal and open to interpretation, and when people discuss intangibles like "pride" and "arrogance" and "beauty" it's very easy to go astray and fall into semantic heat-death. Then we all wind up arguing what "is" is. wink

"Reputation is what others know of you. Honor - is what you know about yourself"
    - Lois McMaster Bujold

mjr.

yeah, true. that's fine!!

i suggest we use the SIN as the negative (the way it's meant to be )
and the other words you added for their true meaning too

i guess in school they used to talk about 'PRIDE in yourself' - in respect to effort
but YES defining terms is essential before discussing them!
(seems 2 me the OP was talking about arrogance and ego pride)

Oct 02 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Randall in your intro to this thread you wrote:

"Things they own such as film cameras or the latest big digital camera, ways of doing someTHING such as wet darkroom process as opposed to the nutballs that refer to Epson prints as chicklets or geeclays or something the spelling of which doesn't sound like the pronunciation thus making it even more elevated in pride (can you tell this one kinda gets to me), using Olde English language in their communications in order to elevate their sense of worth thus showcasing once again their pride."

Chiclets (the Adams variety) I loved as a kid. Giclées I love now. The word come from the French so a worldly photographer like you would immediately understand. If you don't, this very serious Canadian will attempt to explain. It simply means spray. Particularly with older Epson machined (the previous one to the new and improved ones) had a more visible spray pattern if you inspected with a loupe.

I had some and still have some giclées made with these machines and the look of them (once you decide that you don't want to imitate the look of photo paper or the enlarger produced photograph) are beautiful and all their own. The problem lies in the present when too many photographers (specially the digital ones) want to imitate the look of film instead of pursuing the look of digital which is certainly what the future might hold.

It was about 13 years ago that I went to visit a friend who made wonderful photogravures up to 16x20 in size. He was not appreciated or recognized in Vancouver so he moved to Washington State.  His name is Ian Martin. I wen to his studio and he put on some perfectly clean cotton gloves and opened an exquisite box with photogravures that were inside plastic sleaves (sold in art shops). He gave me a pair of gloves and passed them to me, one at a time. They were beautiful but I was also impressed by the showmanship which only showed that he was proud of his work and therefore I should be proud of it, too. It also impressed in me a sense of the value of photogravure and particularly of Martin's photogravures.

In other threads you mentioned clients putting finger marks on your precious platinums. Ian Martin had this problem solved. In Vancouver he tried to get photographers to pay him for him to make photogravures of their pictures. I am happy to report that Martin now travels around the world to take photographs for himself, whose end product are his own photogravures.

I am unable to tell when people are sarcastic or are joking so I take most of what I read here seriuously, particularly when I think I can contribute to the thread. I am a friendly an lighthearted kind of guy but only in the real (as in physical presence) contact with friends. On the web and here in MM I would never know.

if one is not proud of one's work then why keep taking pictures?
Alex

Oct 02 06 12:32 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

i enjoy my work
i like doing it
i get excited about it
and am grateful for the images (not here) of when i was younger slimmer too
i think much is exciting and i love doing interesting things or thought provoking images

i dont want to be ASHAMED of the work
lol
but is fun fullfilment exploration interest...
i dont think there is pride...

Oct 02 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

Anjel Britt wrote:
(seems 2 me the OP was talking about arrogance and ego pride)

I agree. I just wanted to clarify, is all. smile

mjr.

Oct 02 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

alexwh wrote:
Giclées I love now. The word come from the French so a worldly photographer like you would immediately understand. If you don't, this very serious Canadian will attempt to explain. It simply means spray.

As in "I won't giclée in your mouth"??

mjr.

Oct 02 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

As in "I won't giclée in your mouth"??

mjr.

Sir, in my garden, Golden Showers is a most beautiful climbing rose.
Alexwh

Oct 02 06 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

alexwh wrote:
They were beautiful but I was also impressed by the showmanship which only showed that he was proud of his work and therefore I should be proud of it, too. It also impressed in me a sense of the value of photogravure and particularly of Martin's photogravures.

You touch on an important point. Somehow he was able to convey (perhaps because you are an educated audience?) his sense of the value of his work, and you were able to draw your own conclusions and share in a special moment.

What's interesting is that there are some situations/people that can do that, whereas there are other situations/people that just make you think, "what an a**hole!"  I've had people present me with work that is stunning, but in a context in which they just finished crapping on someone else's head or demonstrating that the beauty of their art was only skin deep. I'm sure many of us have had similar experiences! Youthful enthusiasm is charming, whereas the clueless arrogance of youthful ignorance is not. We've seen our shares of both, I suspect. At this point in my life I look at youthful enthusiasm wistfully and prefer to simply walk away from arrogance - the saying "you don't even know how much you don't know..." comes to mind often when I read many posts on MM and photosig.

This is a factor in all walks of life. One reads about how the aging Ansel Adams - not my favorite photographer, by far, but I hope we can agree a great master and teacher - would open his home to young photographers off the street and offer them advice pitched to the correct level in their learning process. My former iaido teacher told a similar story of his sensei, the "old japanese coot next door" who he badgered into teaching him "a few things about swords" - who turned out to be a former instructor at The Budokan. The man gave lessons, with utter seriousness and respect, to a 14-year-old American boy - lessons for which senior martial artists around the world would have lined up in rain and snow. Did Adams have the right to be proud of his accomplishments? Of course! And the swordmaster? Of course! But guys like that are too busy worrying about what they want to learn next, or teach next, to spare a lot of thought for it. Which is why they are what they are.

I remember back in the rec.photo days of USENET when my buddies and I used to sit through endless flamewars about Fred Picker. Was he a jerk? Or a guru? Arrogant? Or a con-man? A great photographer? Or a great marketer? Personally, I avoided learning enough about him to form an opinion on the assumption that someone who produced such divided views about himself was probably a bit of both jerk and guru.

There are great masters of their crafts who also turn out to be real a**holes. Strangely, though, I think they are rare. Why is it that the masters turn out to be thoughtful, respectful, and interested? My theory is that those are necessary conditions (but not sufficient ones!) to mastery.

I bet if your friend had showed you his photogravures while ranting about the "cheap digital cr*p kids are producing these days..." and patting himself on the back, your impression of his art would have suffered along with your patience, no? Isn't it funny how that works?

mjr.

Oct 02 06 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Pride goeth before the fall?
The fall is upon us. (getting a bit chilly anyways)

So the prideful sports fan.
Originally our tribe was our social unit that provided security, food and reproduction. Today our tribal affiliations have become our work (corporation, etc), our nation (super tribe), as well as our sports teams. The 'field of battle' has been sublimated into a sports contest, (when all is well), and so when our team wins, it corresponds to the feeling of winning a battle, which creates a feeling of pride because we are part of the winning side, and the status of winning is shared throughout the tribe. You buy the tickets, you support the team with ratings, you contribute to the victory in a small way, etc. At least that's what I think Desmond Morris expressed in better words, once he applied his zoological focus onto humans.

ps. were you making a very subtle pun on the 'pride of Lions' fans? I hope not.

Oct 02 06 04:11 am Link

Photographer

Art Schotz

Lima, Ohio, US

It seems like this thread was started on International Bitch Day (Sept 17) and the late-comers just don't want to let it go.

Chill and worry about something you can actually cure/solve/fix.

Oct 02 06 04:59 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dredful Jaymz wrote:

Oh it makes sense alright. Pride is something that will make you feel good about yourself or your creations. Bad pride is the feeling of being so proud one has to knock someone else's finished work in order to make theirs seem better.

Anyway that's how it seems here on MM. It's weird being in an environment where the photographers, instead of being constructive towards new photographers, are more critical and can only site the amount of years training and in the business as if they were never beginners. It's the ability of pushing one's self up a level by pushing someone else down.

If you bothered to read the OP, you would know that what you just wrote was dumb too. The question had to do with pride in things like your D70 and how it made you feel superior simply because you owned it. A sense of pride that MJR explained very well just before you wrote your unrelated drivel. Sorry, I'm in a bad mood this morning, don't mean to take it out on you, but I guess I did anyway.

Oct 02 06 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Anjel Britt wrote:
Pride is never good, it's even a SIN in Christian doctrin.
Pride is the EGO and not to be bloated...& never good
But self esteem is.
Humility is.
Ability and know-how is! But no need to be PROUD about it.

Hey you, I started this thread, I don't allow any religious BS on my original posts. Take it into off topic where it will thrive and you can pretend you're not boasting about how holy you are. Oh, wait a second. I may be wrong here. False pride in things is what this is all about. My mistake, you stay right where you are so we have a big, bright, easy target.

Oct 02 06 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

False pride in things is what this is all about. My mistake, you stay right where you are so we have a big, bright, easy target.

maybe pride can be defined as people who think they are better than others , for whatever reason . And it make them feel better about themselves to tell people why they are better . yet , they mask it but pushing it on to others and not accepting the fact that they are exactly the same . they do this because they believe the side that theyre on , is the "OK" side . which makes it ok for them to judge people without looking in the mirror .

Oct 02 06 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Artisnotanaccident

Saugerties, New York, US

I take pride in making a good pie... I like pie.

Oct 02 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Yerkes Photography wrote:

maybe pride can be defined as people who think they are better than others , for whatever reason . And it make them feel better about themselves to tell people why they are better . yet , they mask it but pushing it on to others and not accepting the fact that they are exactly the same . they do this because they believe the side that theyre on , is the "OK" side . which makes it ok for them to judge people without looking in the mirror .

It sounds like you want to say something but are afraid to ruffle feathers. This is the internet. Ruffle away.

Oct 02 06 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

It sounds like you want to say something but are afraid to ruffle feathers. This is the internet. Ruffle away.

no , i said exactly what i wanted to say ... exactly the way i wanted to say it .

sometimes you have to say things in a non-threating way , so that people dont get defensive before they read it . That way you get thier attention , and the intellegent people will figure it out . Hopefully the one i'm referring to is intellegent enough to understand .

Oct 02 06 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

maybe pride can be defined as people who think they are better than others , for whatever reason .

Nope; that's "a sense of superiority"  or "being a jerk." There's a lesser form which is "smug" - a favorite of the holier-than-thou crowd.

And then there's the special case of "an unwarranted sense of superiority" - we all know and loathe that.

Isn't English a delightfully rich language? wink

mjr.

Oct 02 06 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

no , i said exactly what i wanted to say ... exactly the way i wanted to say it .

sometimes you have to say things in a non-threating way , so that people dont get defensive before they read it . That way you get thier attention , and the intellegent people will figure it out . Hopefully the one i'm referring to is intellegent enough to understand .

I have a feeling you mean me, and as I've stated many times before, I'm too stupid to get most of the cloistered arcane stuff I read. I'd rather see it in plain English so I know how to respond.

Oct 02 06 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

If you bothered to read the OP, you would know that what you just wrote was dumb too. The question had to do with pride in things like your D70 and how it made you feel superior simply because you owned it. A sense of pride that MJR explained very well just before you wrote your unrelated drivel. Sorry, I'm in a bad mood this morning, don't mean to take it out on you, but I guess I did anyway.

I guess I should've expanded to say more than just your creations. To be proud of something you didn't create, such as a vehicle, camera, your appearance, camera, wife's boob job, penis length, house, door knob, son's education, Azaleas, the scent of your own feces, stereo, and even the lawn or what-f***ing-ever floats your boat, is fine as well. or even the way you do something. We all know Pride is not a bad thing, until one's ego needs to be pushed along by it. Is that still dumb? That's my view on pride, sorry if it's not lofty and essay like, and hopefully along the lines you want.

Now I'm in a bad mood, too. Thanx, Bob.

Oct 02 06 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dredful Jaymz wrote:

I guess I should've expanded to say more than just your creations. To be proud of something you didn't create, such as a vehicle, camera, your appearance, camera, wife's boob job, penis length, house, door knob, son's education, Azaleas, the scent of your own feces, stereo, and even the lawn or what-f***ing-ever floats your boat, is fine as well. We all know Pride is not a bad thing, until one's ego needs to be pushed along by it. Is that still dumb? That's my view on pride, sorry if it's not lofty and essay like, and hopefully along the lines you want.

Now I'm in a bad mood. Thanx, Bob.

Not looking for lofty or essay like. The scent of your feces is kinda dumb but understandable and as everyone knows by now, penis length is not a problem for me in terms of pride so much as it is in terms of discomfort for my partners. I don't think I ever said pride was bad. I just don't understand the motivation behind pride in things. MJR gave probably the smartest answer I'm likely to get and I'm very happy with it because it's very logical to me.

Sorry to piss you off, I had a run in with a model from MM over the weekend and it's playing on my nerves a bit.

Oct 02 06 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

Oh, the old "Proud of my shit" thing. This was actually brought on by a friend at work, who, quite literally, was proud of his. Sitting in the breakroom at work and having him come in, from his nature call, to expound on the . . . . Well, you get my point, I think.

Defining not pride itself, and all the effects of yours, mine, and, or Joe Blow's, but the cause of pride. That's a rough request, Bob.

I may like to speak of things in simple terms. The thoughts and pictures do not roll out of my mouth or off of the keyboard as smoothly as I would like.

I thought about the post on the way to the kiddos school to drop him off. Now, having a little caffine and nicotine in the system, I went to work on this subject.

As I thought. Pride, is just a word on a long list of feelings and emotions. Defing the cause of these things would be a little better suited to a man on a hill.

I thought on this for a while and came up with this:

Feelings and emotions are caused by things we can explain. External sources cause the unexplainable brain processes that make us feel. Effects of emotions, we can explain. The feelings we have can be named, and can be transfered to other people through actions. The cause of pride, being an emotion or feeling, just like love, as an action within the brain, is still indescript. Maybe, as some say, our emotions come from our hearts and the human heart will never be explained, either. Not beyond medical and science terminology, anyway.

So off to Google, 'cause "Man on the Hill.com', still isn't up, and here's what I found. Still not helpful by any means, but here it is anyway.

David Hume: A Treatise of Human Nature
http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/h/ … ter48.html

And a link for the lovely Angel Britt

God Hates Pride
http://www.believers.org/believe/bel147.htm

Where it's stated, "Pride is the root of all sin."

It is often difficult to define our feelings.

Feeling words
http://www.searchingwithin.com/journal/abptb/feel.html

Feelings, according to Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeling

The above provides us with Abraham Maslows Thoughts

"Harvard professor Abraham Maslow suggests that human beings are all born with an innate sense of positive and negative being-values. We are attracted to positive being-values such as justice, honesty, truth, beauty, humor, liveliness, power (but not abusive power), order (but not nit-picking), intelligence. Likewise, we are repulsed by injustice, deadness, uglyness, weakness, falseness, deceit, chaos, etc.

Maslow also asserts that positive being-values are only definable in terms of all other positive being-values—in other words, we cannot maximize any virtue and let it contain some negative being-values without repulsion. For example, beauty that is associated with deceit becomes repulsive. Justice associated with cruelty is repulsive."

Feelings and emotions are similar but not the same
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Feeling

What causes an emotion?
http://www.command-and-master-emotions. … tion_.html

From one page all I got was this:

enjoy these tomorrow
a small world of mind
overflowing into our backward galaxy

??????????

I'm sorry, that's beyond me, even though it sounds cool.

I hope your day goes better, Bob.
How is the weather in Kowloon, anyhow?

WE WON, 34 TO 7, YEAH WE BEAT THE lions!

As you see we are all prone to pride, in things we do, and even those we have very little to do with.

Oct 02 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dredful Jaymz wrote:
I hope your day goes better, Bob.
How is the weather in Kowloon, anyhow?

I just moved to Peoria and haven't had time to change my bio page. The weather here sucks and CAT is laying people off, so it's depressing as well. The Producer's Dairy Show which was a rip off of the Bozo the Clown show is off the air so I can't make fun of the kids of the blue collar workers that used to play on the show and the only thing there is to shoot here is a steel toe shoe catalog where the art director keeps talking about the real life values of the wearer and how they relate to a cross section shot of the inside of the shoe showing the steel part of the toe with that very thin layer of thinsulate (hence my use of the term thin) which is supposed to not only protect your toes but keep them warm too. I appreciate your effort and the response you gave but I have to say it took a lot of work to follow and I'm not sure that Maslov character has anything worth listening to mostly because he has his head buried so far up his as that his words sound more like farts than wisdom.

Oct 02 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

I'm not sure that Maslov character has anything worth listening to mostly because he has his head buried so far up his as that his words sound more like farts than wisdom.

Why I try to keep it simple and mostly comedic. Sounding lofty and using Latin terminology are beyond me and the cause of headaches.

I know what you're going through right now. I've often thought of blogging big business and the upcoming new third world nation "US", but I'm not sure I'll miss spending a portion of my work day in 125 degrees to 150 degrees, for PPG. I'm now the lowest in seniority in my department. Our workforce has been cut by more than half.

Good luck, Bob.

Oct 02 06 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dredful Jaymz wrote:

Why I try to keep it simple and mostly comedic. Sounding lofty and using Latin terminology are beyond me and the cause of headaches.

I know what you're going through right now. I've often thought of blogging big business and the upcoming new third world nation "US", but I'm not sure I'll miss spending a portion of my work day in 125 degrees to 150 degrees, for PPG. I'm now the lowest in seniority in my department. Our workforce has been cut by more than half.

Good luck, Bob.

Just curious, you did realize the "WE WON' beating the lions and all that was a joke, didn't you. God, please tell me you knew that.

Oct 02 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

Well, with this . . . .

End of first quarter, BEARS 10, lions nothing, nada, zip, zilch, zero, 0.

I was thrown and unsure, and it does go really well with the theme of the post. I like your humor, for like mine, it will take some getting use to.

Oct 02 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dredful Jaymz wrote:
Well, with this . . . .

I was thrown and unsure, and it does go really well with the theme of the post. I like your humor, for like mine, it will take some getting use to.

Wow, I gotta work on my presentation skills. If you read my bio page it does say I suck at communication on the web.

Oct 02 06 12:36 pm Link