Forums > General Industry > Photogs of the Nude and the Models that pose....

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Perhaps this question has been answered already but I couldn't find it so here we go.  Can some of you give me your reasons, theory, beliefs on why we photographers shoot nudity and why the models that pose for nudes, do it?   I mean we're not crazy as hell or sick, perverted people or anything like that but why do we do it?  For me, it's the creation of something natural, something beautiful and something that challenges traditional thinking.  I don't do it for turn on's, I don't do it to get naked women in front of my camera.  I look at it as a respectable art.  How do we make the leaders of the "Prudity on Nudity" Society see us in a respectable light?

Sep 14 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

TSOJAW wrote:
For me, it's the creation of something natural, something beautiful and something that challenges traditional thinking.  I don't do it for turn on's, I don't do it to get naked women in front of my camera.  I look at it as a respectable art.

That is as good a rationalization as any, I suppose.

I do it for money.  My reasons are far less noble.

Sep 14 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

TSOJAW wrote:
...For me, it's the creation of something natural, something beautiful and something that challenges traditional thinking.  I don't do it for turn on's, I don't do it to get naked women in front of my camera.  I look at it as a respectable art.

sorry, i don't believe you.  not when all i see is naked women in your portfolio.  if one is truly dedicated to the beauty of the human form then there would be balance in the presentation showing both men and women.  what is shown is what turns you on, as it does with most that focus on nudity presentation of a singular sex. 

it isn't something to be shameful to admit, however it is shameful to not face the true motivation.  especially so when trying hard to disenfranchise oneself from the mental copulation that helps give life to the imagery.

the above doesn't detract from the artistry of your imaging, but if it didn't turn you on why is female nudity your sole focus?

--face reality

Sep 14 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sep 14 06 06:02 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I personally do it because I model to promote size acceptance and to show that all sorts of shapes and sizes can be beautiful.  It just makes sense that I would model for photographs that don't hide anything.

Sep 14 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

bubbaclicks

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

prudity on nudity...interesting term...
Nudity isn't a requirement, but i appreciate the human form...it's an amzing piece of living art. the churches of europe are full of nudity, so the prudish behavior must be leftover from the puritan influence of early America...

Sep 14 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

FaceReality wrote:
sorry, i don't believe you.  not when all i see is naked women in your portfolio.  if one is truly dedicated to the beauty of the human form then there would be balance in the presentation showing both men and women.  what is shown is what turns you on, as it does with most that focus on nudity presentation of a singular sex. 

it isn't something to be shameful to admit, however it is shameful to not face the true motivation.  especially so when trying hard to disenfranchise oneself from the mental copulation that helps give life to the imagery.

the above doesn't detract from the artistry of your imaging, but if it didn't turn you on why is female nudity your sole focus?

--face reality

The naked woman in my portfolio happens to be the same exact woman; my wife and of course she turns me on.  I have never even thought about shooting a male nude but perhaps I should to quiet my critics.  My belief is that the female form is indeed the most beautiful form of the two and the most beautiful creation that exists.  For me and hopefully I am not alone, that is reality. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Sep 14 06 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Because sometimes it's pretty cool.

Sep 14 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

SI Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I shoot nudes becaue it turns me on...so...when can I shoot your wife?  lol

Sep 14 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

TSOJAW wrote:
Perhaps this question has been answered already but I couldn't find it so here we go.  Can some of you give me your reasons, theory, beliefs on why we photographers shoot nudity ... I mean we're not crazy as hell or sick, perverted people or anything like that ...

Speak for yourself!

Sep 14 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

bubbaclicks wrote:
prudity on nudity...interesting term...
Nudity isn't a requirement, but i appreciate the human form...it's an amzing piece of living art. the churches of europe are full of nudity, so the prudish behavior must be leftover from the puritan influence of early America...

That's what I'm seeking.  To know that it is appreciated for what it is not for what it can do.

Thanks.

Sep 14 06 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

On the other hand, some of us are sick perverted old men and simply do it for kicks.

Uh ... not me of course.

-Don

Sep 14 06 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SI Photography wrote:
I shoot nudes becaue it turns me on...so...when can I shoot your wife?  lol

I'll check with her on that one but knowing where you stand on the issue,you wouldn't mind if she brought me along would you?  ; }

Sep 14 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Southwest Photography

Burlington, Vermont, US

I wonder what Michaelangelo would say to this? I'm kind of surprised anyone is asking this question. The human body is beautiful? The human body is sexy? Some human bodies look better without clothes? Some look better with clothes? Some photographers are pervs? Some aren't?

There are a million answers to this question, but MM is too slow to handle a million posts.

Sep 14 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

SI Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

TSOJAW wrote:

I'll check with her on that one but knowing where you stand on the issue,you wouldn't mind if she brought me along would you?  ; }

I don't mind, the more the merrier.

Sep 14 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I think the main reason I shoot nudes is because I am inspired by the work of the great photographers who shot nudes.

Sep 14 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

TSOJAW wrote:
Perhaps this question has been answered already but I couldn't find it so here we go.  Can some of you give me your reasons, theory, beliefs on why we photographers shoot nudity and why the models that pose for nudes, do it?   I mean we're not crazy as hell or sick, perverted people or anything like that but why do we do it?  For me, it's the creation of something natural, something beautiful and something that challenges traditional thinking.  I don't do it for turn on's, I don't do it to get naked women in front of my camera.  I look at it as a respectable art.  How do we make the leaders of the "Prudity on Nudity" Society see us in a respectable light?

If nudity was widely accepted, there would be no mystery in it, and therefore no mystique and it would be commonplace, and you'd probably lose work.

If nudity is kept just a bit "taboo", then it stays more "cool" too shoot it, to see it, etc.

I like things the way they are.  Nudity is available for those that want it, but those that don't want it have a right not to have it shoved in their faces.

Sep 14 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

J n X Photography wrote:

If nudity was widely accepted, there would be no mystery in it, and therefore no mystique and it would be commonplace, and you'd probably lose work.

If nudity is kept just a bit "taboo", then it stays more "cool" too shoot it, to see it, etc.

I like things the way they are.  Nudity is available for those that want it, but those that don't want it have a right not to have it shoved in their faces.

I agree.  Thanks for the feedback.

Sep 14 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

TSOJAW wrote:
How do we make the leaders of the "Prudity on Nudity" Society see us in a respectable light?

by not caring what they think! and i dont mean that as a smart-arse thing to say, i simply mean you shoot nudes because u want to do it, because you are inspired to do it, thats it.
so if trying to 'win someone elses approval' wasnt the reason u decided to do the nude shoot in the first place, then why would it become something to think about after the shoot??

i would never consider not shooting something (that i wanted to shoot) based on what other people might think....i trust my own opinion, and if i didnt like an image, or feel some pride about an image id taken, it would never make it into the outside world. but once it does, i stand behind it 100% because its me, and if people judge it negativley, that means they are judging me, and i dont care what those kind of people think.

Be who you are and shoot what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind....

Sep 14 06 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Stephen Dawson wrote:
I think the main reason I shoot nudes is because I am inspired by the work of the great photographers who shot nudes.

That's what got me started.  Newton, Ritts, Gordon Parks, Albert Watson, William Cater, Lindsay Garret, Cunningham..I could go on and on.. Even Mr. Nimoy aka Spock.   We have many that have come before us that inspire me as well.

Thanks for input.

Sep 14 06 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

gavin oneill wrote:

by not caring what they think! and i dont mean that as a smart-arse thing to say, i simply mean you shoot nudes simply because u want to do it, because you are inspired to do it.
so if trying to 'win someone elses approval' wasnt the reason u decided to do the nude shoot in the first place, then why would it become something to think about after the shoot??

i would never consider not shooting something (that i wanted to shoot) based on what other people might think....i trust my own opinion, and if i didnt like an image, or feel some pride about an image id taken, it would never make it into the outside world. but once it does, i stand behind it 100% because its me, and if people judge it negativley, that means they are judging me, and i dont care what those kind of people think.

Be who you are and shoot what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....

Thanks a million.  You are indeed correct.

Sep 14 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shyly wrote:
I personally do it because I model to promote size acceptance and to show that all sorts of shapes and sizes can be beautiful.  It just makes sense that I would model for photographs that don't hide anything.

Thanks for your feedback.  I've looked at your work and you are amazing.  ; }

Sep 14 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

FaceReality wrote:

--face reality

ehh... that's just bull crap.

a person can appreciate a small section of anything without neccessarily appreciating the entirety of it.

I think that most men appreciate the archetecture of a womans body.... and it isn't completely sexual; since most men don't appreciate the male nude does that mean they don't truely appreciate the human form?

That would be like saying that someone who appreciates apples, but not so much crust cannot truely be appreciative of apple pie.

One does not need to "round out" their port by shooting males and females evenly to prove that they enjoy and respect the human form... No one told maplethorpe that he needed to even his portfolio out by shooting more women... no one said that maplethorpe didn't truely appreciate the human form simply because his eye was more for the square and muscled male frame rather than the soft and sesious female frame...

You don't have to like cheese and tomatoes evenly in order to appreciate pizza.

Shoot what you are passionate about....  don't listen to people who say you're only shooting what turns you on... it's evedent that it's more about the art than your lust... else wise you would be shooting from a slightly different angle.

I myself think that your wife is amazing; and would love to shoot her myself.... My wife is a model as well, you can see her in my port in the picture called "babe with a bullet"

perhaps we could do a wife swap shoot. (grin)

Sep 14 06 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I'm a photographer: 

We are simply unafraid of nudity.  We boldly delve into human beauty and even sexuality with the sole mission of depicting beauty as we see it. 

I'm also a model:

We are also simply unafraid of nudity.  We acknowledge that the human body is beautiful--and more so uncovered than with clothing.  We courageously ignore the harsh stigmas of some within our society and take pure thrill in exhibiting our bodies for others to appreciate.

-joey

Sep 14 06 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

TSOJAW wrote:
How do we make the leaders of the "Prudity on Nudity" Society see us in a respectable light?

Stop shooting nudes or poke their eyes out.  No other choices.

Sep 14 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

That is as good a rationalization as any, I suppose.

I do it for money.  My reasons are far less noble.

Well I can understand that as well but it's not like you're trying to pick up women or have any other motives that wouldn't be professional.  Meaning it's not about sex....right?

Sep 14 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ravens laughter wrote:

ehh... that's just bull crap.

a person can appreciate a small section of anything without neccessarily appreciating the entirety of it.

I think that most men appreciate the archetecture of a womans body.... and it isn't completely sexual; since most men don't appreciate the male nude does that mean they don't truely appreciate the human form?

That would be like saying that someone who appreciates apples, but not so much crust cannot truely be appreciative of apple pie.

One does not need to "round out" their port by shooting males and females evenly to prove that they enjoy and respect the human form... No one told maplethorpe that he needed to even his portfolio out by shooting more women... no one said that maplethorpe didn't truely appreciate the human form simply because his eye was more for the square and muscled male frame rather than the soft and sesious female frame...

You don't have to like cheese and tomatoes evenly in order to appreciate pizza.

Shoot what you are passionate about....  don't listen to people who say you're only shooting what turns you on... it's evedent that it's more about the art than your lust... else wise you would be shooting from a slightly different angle.

I myself think that your wife is amazing; and would love to shoot her myself.... My wife is a model as well, you can see her in my port in the picture called "babe with a bullet"

perhaps we could do a wife swap shoot. (grin)

You are  the wheel!  The fire that ignites the launch, the 'I' in 'it."  You hit it on the head.

Thanks for the response, the support and your port which I'm going to right now.  I'll get back to you on the "wife swap shoot."  ; }

Sep 15 06 12:08 am Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

TSOJAW wrote:

You can't make the blind see, so why try?
I don't shoot nude, but I would if I had a model who looked good enough which I photographed many that do look good enough, but wouldn't do nudes.  Of course I never asked them too, but what do the Prudity on Nudity Society think the master painters painted before cameras was invented?  Tell the Prudity Society to visit a real art museum and protest those pictures instead!

Sep 15 06 01:11 am Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

TSOJAW wrote:

I see why you shoot nudes it's too hot over there to keep your clothes on!

Sep 15 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

TSOJAW wrote:
Can some of you give me your reasons, theory, beliefs on why....?

What do you see?

https://www.raveneyes.com/ali/CRW_8720.jpg

That's why *I* do it.

Sep 15 06 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Jimmy Mayfield

Wake Forest, North Carolina, US

I shoot nudes because it's simpler than having to mess with wardrobe ...

Model: What should I wear?

Me: Let's keep it simple and just wear nothing .... can I hang my pants on this chair?

Sep 15 06 01:20 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

I shoot nudes cause I dont like clothes on my way while I'm working on an image tongue

Sep 15 06 01:22 am Link

Photographer

Blakberi Photography

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

FaceReality wrote:

--face reality

I did a nude shoot once ages ago and it was so not a turn on.  Even though photos even though beautiful and sensuous were not a turn on because I could remember how I felt when I took the photos - more concerned about making her comfortable and geting her to look beautiful.

Sep 15 06 01:25 am Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

I shoot nudes because I believe in the beauty, the humanity, the sensuality, the spirituality, the graphic harmony and artistry, and the symbolic meaning of the nude female form

It is the ultimate canvas for portraying personality, emotion, line and curve relationships, sexuality/sensuality/eroticism, social commentary, mankind's relationship with nature, objects, time, place, each other, and ourselves.

and ah...stuff like that

Sep 15 06 01:51 am Link

Photographer

d artiste provocateur

Madison, Wisconsin, US

I shoot, therefore I am.

Sep 15 06 01:57 am Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

FaceReality wrote:

--face reality

I both agree and disagree: While on one hand I don't see the art in most of the OPs shots, on the other hand... Men are ugly!! I like men, I love my boyfriend, but they photograph so much better with clothes on.

Personally I do nudes (very limited) for several reasons: 1. the endless pursuit of the "perfect" body shot. 2. art, yada yada yada,   3. I'm just comfortable naked, so why not? 4. it pays

Sep 15 06 10:46 am Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ivy Bressler wrote:

I both agree and disagree: While on one hand I don't see the art in most of the OPs shots, on the other hand... Men are ugly!! I like men, I love my boyfriend, but they photograph so much better with clothes on.

Personally I do nudes (very limited) for several reasons: 1. the endless pursuit of the "perfect" body shot. 2. art, yada yada yada,   3. I'm just comfortable naked, so why not? 4. it pays

Thanks so much for your post and your opinions.  I suppose that one of the wonderful things about being an artist.  We see it as we see it and our opinion of our work, despite the thought of others, usually  wins out.  If it didn't we'd have no artist.  Our  society teaches us to keep each other at bay and be afraid of the unknown and dislike the different.  An artist's society is boundless, it's open minded, and free of shackles.  ; }

Thanks again.

James

Sep 15 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

CL Photography wrote:

You can't make the blind see, so why try?
I don't shoot nude, but I would if I had a model who looked good enough which I photographed many that do look good enough, but wouldn't do nudes.  Of course I never asked them too, but what do the Prudity on Nudity Society think the master painters painted before cameras was invented?  Tell the Prudity Society to visit a real art museum and protest those pictures instead!

You are indeed correct.  That's the part that many forget.  Thanks for the post.

Sep 15 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

James Jackson wrote:

What do you see?

https://www.raveneyes.com/ali/CRW_8720.jpg

That's why *I* do it.

Beautiful work.  thanks for the post.  I'm going toyour port to check it out and learn some things.

Thanks again.

James.

Sep 15 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I do it because thats where the money is and I like shooting physique stuff, you can shoot physique with clothes on

Sep 15 06 02:07 pm Link