Forums > General Industry > Photogs of the Nude and the Models that pose....

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

vanscottie wrote:
I shoot nudes because I believe in the beauty, the humanity, the sensuality, the spirituality, the graphic harmony and artistry, and the symbolic meaning of the nude female form

It is the ultimate canvas for portraying personality, emotion, line and curve relationships, sexuality/sensuality/eroticism, social commentary, mankind's relationship with nature, objects, time, place, each other, and ourselves.

and ah...stuff like that

Beautifully stated.  Thanks for the post.  I'm going to your port to look and learn.

Thanks again.

Sep 15 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jimmy Mayfield wrote:
I shoot nudes because it's simpler than having to mess with wardrobe ...

Model: What should I wear?

Me: Let's keep it simple and just wear nothing .... can I hang my pants on this chair?

Jimmy, you are a fool and cool as hell.   ; } 
Thanks for the post and the work that you've shared.

James

Sep 15 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

CL Photography wrote:

I see why you shoot nudes it's too hot over there to keep your clothes on!

Thats one way to look at it.  ; }

Thanks for the post and your wonderful work.

James

Sep 15 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Ivy Bressler wrote:
Men are ugly!! I like men, I love my boyfriend, but they photograph so much better with clothes on.

Oh, I so don't see things that way.  I'm putting my man avatar back on as illustration of how beautiful men can be.

Sep 15 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

...because.
God created Woman
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1309292
                        18+

...what else is there to say?
Live life, create and have fun.

Sep 15 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

And to respond to the OP:

As a photographer I am generally interested in creating beautiful or compelling images of the kinds of people you don't always see in front of the camera.  Fat people, old people, men, heavily tattooed people, etc.  I'm interested in re-introducing humanity to subjects that are too often dismissed (The "Men are ugly" idea), ignored (Old people are too often invisible), or ridiculed (Fat people are treated as less than human).  And so on.

Nudes are just part of that.  They're part of the beauty that I see all around me.  I try to loan that vision to the people who look at my work, with varying degrees of success.

Sep 15 06 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
And to respond to the OP:

As a photographer I am generally interested in creating beautiful or compelling images of the kinds of people you don't always see in front of the camera.  Fat people, old people, men, heavily tattooed people, etc.  I'm interested in re-introducing humanity to subjects that are too often dismissed (The "Men are ugly" idea), ignored (Old people are too often invisible), or ridiculed (Fat people are treated as less than human).  And so on.

Nudes are just part of that.  They're part of the beauty that I see all around me.  I try to loan that vision to the people who look at my work, with varying degrees of success.

Elegantly stated.  I feel your emotion in your words and agree with you intirely.

Thanks for the post.

James

Sep 15 06 02:27 pm Link

Model

luv2bfitt

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

FemmeArt wrote:
I'm a photographer: 

We are simply unafraid of nudity.  We boldly delve into human beauty and even sexuality with the sole mission of depicting beauty as we see it. 

I'm also a model:

We are also simply unafraid of nudity.  We acknowledge that the human body is beautiful--and more so uncovered than with clothing.  We courageously ignore the harsh stigmas of some within our society and take pure thrill in exhibiting our bodies for others to appreciate.

-joey

Very Well said, I totally agree.....

Sep 15 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I'm learning.  I picked up a camera because I'm a socialphobe, and writing was turning me into a shut in.  Women are a little easier to shoot than men because I've spent more time staring at the female figure and making judgements about what I like and what I don't..

I hope to shoot men as well, but the one I had set up postponed a couple of times, and by the time things had ironed out I'd lost my feel for the shoot idea..

I'm new enough at this that I take shooting opportunities as they come.

As for clothes vs nudity.  Shooting clothes requires a wardrobe and a fashion sense I simply do not have..  If a model wants to shoot clothes and he/she brings clothes we shoot clothed..  If he/she doesn't.. We shoot naked.  Right now my biggest interests are color, shadow, and emotion..  I very much want to tell stories with images, but usually do not because it takes planning and prep and things I usually don't have available..

Sep 15 06 02:41 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

FaceReality wrote:
sorry, i don't believe you.  not when all i see is naked women in your portfolio.  if one is truly dedicated to the beauty of the human form then there would be balance in the presentation showing both men and women.  what is shown is what turns you on, as it does with most that focus on nudity presentation of a singular sex. 

it isn't something to be shameful to admit, however it is shameful to not face the true motivation.  especially so when trying hard to disenfranchise oneself from the mental copulation that helps give life to the imagery.

the above doesn't detract from the artistry of your imaging, but if it didn't turn you on why is female nudity your sole focus?

--face reality

obviously I can't speak for the OP but I know many artists who do not find the male body beautiful, only the female body. it just depends on what you find beauty in.

Sep 15 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

obviously I can't speak for the OP but I know many artists who do not find the male body beautiful, only the female body. it just depends on what you find beauty in.

There are indeed many who feel that way and to each his or her own.  I've never thought about shooting a male as I never thought about shooting myself.  Now don't take this wrong.  I'm not high on the horse or anything like that but I am indeed a good looking man.  With that said, I don't believe that my figure, as athletic as I am, is even in the same ball park of that of a female.  So, in this case, you can spek for the OP.  I agree. ; }

Sep 15 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

removed member

i just posted my first and last nude shoot in the critique forum.....

and heres what i wrote about it...

so...no nudes for me.  not that i dont appreciate the female form.  i just dont see the need to photograph it.

Sep 15 06 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

FaceReality wrote:

sorry, i don't believe you.  not when all i see is naked women in your portfolio.  if one is truly dedicated to the beauty of the human form then there would be balance in the presentation showing both men and women.  what is shown is what turns you on, as it does with most that focus on nudity presentation of a singular sex. 

it isn't something to be shameful to admit, however it is shameful to not face the true motivation.  especially so when trying hard to disenfranchise oneself from the mental copulation that helps give life to the imagery.

the above doesn't detract from the artistry of your imaging, but if it didn't turn you on why is female nudity your sole focus?

--face reality

Sep 15 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

TSOJAW wrote:

Beautiful work.  thanks for the post.  I'm going toyour port to check it out and learn some things.

Thanks again.

James.

Well thank you for the compliment.

Unfortunately you'll have to wait on that looking at my port thing.  I'm having a bit of trouble uploading as you can tell so just black blank images for me right now.  But feel free to check out my main web portfolio on my website at http://www.raveneyes.com

Sep 15 06 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

RichMiamiPhoto

Miami, Florida, US

I shoot nudes because everyone has a nude body underneath all that clothing.

(And it costs less to outfit them.)

Tony

Sep 15 06 05:18 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Susann

Sacramento, California, US

to me, any "spread" work is not artistic.  i can see how it would be to someone else, but i just don't.  so when i do projects that are more sexually inclined, i do it for the money.  it definitely pays, and a model almost has to be open to glamour/nudes if she is not a fashion model/professional.  some slip through the cracks, sure, but when it comes to making money- thats what i think.

now in terms of REAL artistic nudes, they are my FAVORITE.  but i definitely know an artistic based photographer and a (i guess i would call it) glamour/nude photographer.  they just have different ideas and motives.  artistic or sexy.  i have not run into any perverts however- everyone is professional, like i said, just looking for different imagery and shooting for a diferent audience.  i have not posted many of the nudes in my portfolio, because personally im not interested in tons of people seeing my naked body all over the internet.  but i have a good amount of artistic stuff on OMP. 

i guess the only thing that bugs me and i wonder about is why there are TONS more views the more nudity.  is it photographers trying to see the models body to see if they want to work with them or is it perverts trying to get off?  either way, thats their perrogative!   just interesting to observe.

kudos to you for loving the female body and turning it into beautiful art.  very unique and beautiful  portfolio...... 

oh and i agree that naked men are sexy too.  i vote for more of those. smile

Sep 15 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

jason messer wrote:
i just posted my first and last nude shoot in the critique forum.....

and heres what i wrote about it...

so...no nudes for me.  not that i dont appreciate the female form.  i just dont see the need to photograph it.

Wonderful point and smoking avtar I might add. 

Thanks for the post. ; }
James

Sep 15 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

TSOJAW wrote:
Perhaps this question has been answered already but I couldn't find it so here we go.  Can some of you give me your reasons, theory, beliefs on why we photographers shoot nudity and why the models that pose for nudes, do it?   I mean we're not crazy as hell or sick, perverted people or anything like that but why do we do it?  For me, it's the creation of something natural, something beautiful and something that challenges traditional thinking.  I don't do it for turn on's, I don't do it to get naked women in front of my camera.  I look at it as a respectable art.  How do we make the leaders of the "Prudity on Nudity" Society see us in a respectable light?

To view-photo-or be nude,   is something forbidden ,   and a challange. to do good photos of the nude gives you justification  of shooting the nudes... On the model side  it is more of a control and power play....  See me am I sexy?  My sex has control over you..    It is far more complex that just this..   Harold Rose

Sep 15 06 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Elizabeth Susann wrote:
to me, any "spread" work is not artistic.  i can see how it would be to someone else, but i just don't.  so when i do projects that are more sexually inclined, i do it for the money.  it definitely pays, and a model almost has to be open to glamour/nudes if she is not a fashion model/professional.  some slip through the cracks, sure, but when it comes to making money- thats what i think.

now in terms of REAL artistic nudes, they are my FAVORITE.  but i definitely know an artistic based photographer and a (i guess i would call it) glamour/nude photographer.  they just have different ideas and motives.  artistic or sexy.  i have not run into any perverts however- everyone is professional, like i said, just looking for different imagery and shooting for a diferent audience.  i have not posted many of the nudes in my portfolio, because personally im not interested in tons of people seeing my naked body all over the internet.  but i have a good amount of artistic stuff on OMP. 

i guess the only thing that bugs me and i wonder about is why there are TONS more views the more nudity.  is it photographers trying to see the models body to see if they want to work with them or is it perverts trying to get off?  either way, thats their perrogative!   just interesting to observe.

kudos to you for loving the female body and turning it into beautiful art.  very unique and beautiful  portfolio...... 

oh and i agree that naked men are sexy too.  i vote for more of those. smile

Thanks for the post and your perspective and the wonderful comments on my work.  The statement about the views is something I fully agree with but now I'm going to go to your site and see if I can't do my part to change some of that.

Thanks, again.

James

Sep 15 06 06:39 pm Link