Forums > General Industry > Are you a fraud?

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Do you make crappy pictures and then defend them by calling them art? Do you call yourself an artist but don't know the names of any famous artists? Do you say you don't need to be famous to be an artist when you read questions like this? Have you never cracked open an art history book to see what went on or is going on in the art community because your such a great artist yourself you don't need to? You might have found out that El Grecco was the first person to use Unsharp Masking in a painting in the 16th century or that Seurat by proxy invented the television and the pixel. Have you never studied perspective such as that illustrated so wonderfully by Escher because you already have a filter that does it for you? Do you spend a lot of time in the bathroom with a Victoria's Secret catalog telling yourself, "I could shoot that", but you wind up ruining the pages and having to throw out your inspiration? Do you just shoot crappy shit that has no merit because you simply wanted to see a girl with no clothes on and maybe get laid but when your feet are held to the fire you drag out the art card? You know the art card, absolutely everyone on the planet owns one. They're real cheap and easy to get a hold of. No school, no study, no knowledge, no discipline, no experience needed. Just point and shoot and call it art and defy anyone to tell you different and if they do tell you different call them an elitist  Neanderthal. Is this you?

Edit... So far the responses have been predictable and too few! 08:52:00

Sep 14 06 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Prairie Town Production

Topeka, Kansas, US

Can you be a little more specific?

Sep 14 06 08:35 am Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

I have a BFA, does that make me an artist?

Sep 14 06 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Rudder

Costa Mesa, California, US

Are you projecting, Bob? lol

Sep 14 06 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Frank McAdam

New York, New York, US

A fraud?  Hmmm.  You mean like listing studio locations in Moscow, Telaviv, London, Capetown, Little Rock when actually shooting out of the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant located in a non-descript Chicago neighborhood.  :-)

Sep 14 06 08:39 am Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
Have you never studied perspective such as that illustrated so wonderfully by Escher because you already have a filter that does it for you?

not a filter but a clone tool.

--face reality

Sep 14 06 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Kevin Bargeron wrote:
I have a BFA, does that make me an artist?

My wife tells me I have a big fucking ass all the time too.

Sep 14 06 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

FaceReality wrote:

not a filter but a clone tool.

--face reality

How do you simulate Escher with a clone tool? I would love to be able to do this.

Sep 14 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Lens N Light wrote:

How do you simulate Escher with a clone tool? I would love to be able to do this.

In CS2 there is a perspective tool for those that don't know how to do it with horizon lines, vanishing points and stuff.

Sep 14 06 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

So why am I suddenly seeing posts that have really long paragraphs? Is there a new Winderz virus that takes out the 'return' key?

Sorry, I didn't read your post. Perhaps someone could edit it for readability.

Sep 14 06 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Frank McAdam wrote:
A fraud?  Hmmm.  You mean like listing studio locations in Moscow, Telaviv, London, Capetown, Little Rock when actually shooting out of the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant located in a non-descript Chicago neighborhood.  :-)

Actually if you read my all important bio you would have found I was calling a spade a spade before this post and the cities I list are simply my way of doing that.

Non descript? How dare you! They call my neighborhood the Kinzie Corridor. Sounds kinda global doesn't it?

Sep 14 06 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Soft Medium

Richmond, Virginia, US

It seems you have already implied the answer, but I have to ask anyway.  Does this mean that to be an artisit you have to have studied art and it's history?

Sep 14 06 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Soft Medium wrote:
It seems you have already implied the answer, but I have to ask anyway.  Does this mean that to be an artisit you have to have studied art and it's history?

Not at all. I would imagine you could be one hell of an artist without ever having opened a book, art or otherwise. Imagine you have two choices in life. One you get to be a sculpter working in marble, the other you get to be a photographer working in digital. On your very first day with the marble you start chipping away. One minute later you have a block of marble with a small hole in it. You load that marble onto the internet and proclaim it to be art. Now imagine what I'm thinking.

Sep 14 06 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Ed Stringbourne

Do you make crappy pictures and then defend them by calling them art?

Nope I defend them by calling them crappy pictures. But they're MY crappy pictures and I am happy with their level of craptitude. Like your Dali-style pic by the way Bob and the hands 'holding' the water.

Sep 14 06 08:57 am Link

Photographer

BradyPhotography I

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Soft Medium wrote:

Exactly what I thought! thank you!

If this is true who did the very first artist study?

Sep 14 06 08:58 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

If you write a bad song, it's called jazz, if you take a bad picture, it's called art hmm

Sep 14 06 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Soft Medium

Richmond, Virginia, US

okay, point well taken

Sep 14 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

I work hard at taking bad photos.

Sep 14 06 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I am smarter than a speeding bullet, faster than a tall building, able to derail a locomotive thread in a single bound.

Man, I will pummel you with my inadequecies.  I will crush you with my failings.  I will pick up that used Victoria's Secret, roll the sticky motha' up and bitch slap you with it.

I am everything I ever said I wasn't.

Hell yes, I'm a fraud..

Sep 14 06 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

DannyBourne wrote:

Nope I defend them by calling them crappy pictures. But they're MY crappy pictures and I am happy with their level of craptitude. Like your Dali-style pic by the way Bob and the hands 'holding' the water.

Your being disingenuous, your pictures are beautifully executed and they look beautiful. Are they art, who knows? Are mine art, who knows? Is this a fun thread to wake up to? I think so.

Sep 14 06 09:11 am Link

Model

Yaocihuatl

London, England, United Kingdom

I'm sorry if I'm just adding to the predictable responses, but somehow I don't think any GWCs are gonna pop outta the woodworks and admit that they identify with your opening paragraph... big_smile  I'd love to see it though!

Sep 14 06 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

W.G. Hogan wrote:
I am smarter than a speeding bullet, faster than a tall building, able to derail a locomotive thread in a single bound.

Man, I will pummel you with my inadequecies.  I will crush you with my failings.  I will pick up that used Victoria's Secret, roll the sticky motha' up and bitch slap you with it.

I am everything I ever said I wasn't.

Hell yes, I'm a fraud..

Shouldn't that be WG Hogans?

Sep 14 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

I will just remind you of these famous historical quotes..

"Too fraud or not to fraud, that is the question"

"I have never seen a fraud as beautiful as thee"

"The fraud jumped in the pond"

Sep 14 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

bmjg

Longwood, Florida, US

Both the notion of "art" and the idea of the "artist" are relatively modern terms.

Sep 14 06 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Do you make crappy pictures and then defend them by calling them art? Do you call yourself an artist but don't know the names of any famous artists? Do you say you don't need to be famous to be an artist when you read questions like this? Have you never cracked open an art history book to see what went on or is going on in the art community because your such a great artist yourself you don't need to? You might have found out that El Grecco was the first person to use Unsharp Masking in a painting in the 16th century or that Seurat by proxy invented the television and the pixel. Have you never studied perspective such as that illustrated so wonderfully by Escher because you already have a filter that does it for you? Do you spend a lot of time in the bathroom with a Victoria's Secret catalog telling yourself, "I could shoot that", but you wind up ruining the pages and having to throw out your inspiration? Do you just shoot crappy shit that has no merit because you simply wanted to see a girl with no clothes on and maybe get laid but when your feet are held to the fire you drag out the art card? You know the art card, absolutely everyone on the planet owns one. They're real cheap and easy to get a hold of. No school, no study, no knowledge, no discipline, no experience needed. Just point and shoot and call it art and defy anyone to tell you different and if they do tell you different call them an elitist  Neanderthal. Is this you?

I seem to recall that other renaissance painters also used the edge-enhancement techniques so often cited as developed by El Greco, but that could be old age and faulty memory.

OTOH, while I do make crappy pictures, I don't call them art. And if I called myself an artist, though (which I don't), why would it make a difference if I knew the names of "famous artists"?

I will admit I've let my subscription to Art & Antiques magazine lapse, and haven't picked up many new art books in recent years, but the first was because the magazine was boring, and the second was due to lack of space.  (Besides, a dozen pre-Raphaelite books, and a handful on each of various renaissance painters has been enough for my purposes to date--I'm not much of a pointillist, expressionist, or impressionist. And Dali is beyond my capabilities.)

Having a bad day, Bob?

Sep 14 06 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Illustrated Imagery

Bob...You need to get a life. By the looks of things based on the nuber of posts you've made you do not take photographs you just post drivel to try and get a rise out of people.

Totaly pointless post, what a joke.

See ya, don't want to be ya!

Sep 14 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Ed Stringbourne

Your being disingenuous, your pictures are beautifully executed and they look beautiful. Are they art, who knows? Are mine art, who knows? Is this a fun thread to wake up to? I think so.

Thanks for the kind words. Indeed, what is art. I guess it's one of those things that someone can only say for themselves, such as is this a good book, do I like this song. Trying to categorise 'art' per se is futile, I would have thought.

Sep 14 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Yaocihuatl wrote:
I'm sorry if I'm just adding to the predictable responses, but somehow I don't think any GWCs are gonna pop outta the woodworks and admit that they identify with your opening paragraph... big_smile  I'd love to see it though!

It's not really GWC's I was asking. Most of the guys I talk to that are beginners or just happy with the fun they have with a camera think stuff like this thread is silly, which it is.

Sep 14 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

As is everything, you can call your work art and call yourself an artist but it doesnt mean anything.

When others call your work art and call you an artist then you can begin to think they might be right.

I like to think I create art. I've been told often that my pictures are art and that I'm an artist. I'm not completely convinced but there you go.

I have never studied art formally, but I have a stack of books by photographers that I have studied, does that count.

So am I an artist ?!

Sep 14 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Illustrated Imagery wrote:
Bob...You need to get a life. By the looks of things based on the nuber of posts you've made you do not take photographs you just post drivel to try and get a rise out of people.

Totaly pointless post, what a joke.

See ya, don't want to be ya!

You are missing the point entirely. I think up insane shit to post so that people will notice my avatar and go to my MM site to see what I'm up to. Then they send me a tag or email or something else and I maybe get to work with them or sometimes become friends with them. I've worked with wonderful models here because of my stunts and I have a number of new friends that I talk with on the phone or email with. We discuss many things including photography.

You absolutely want to be me. Your just afraid to admit it.

Sep 14 06 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Old Ska Punk

Crivitz, Wisconsin, US

Seurat by proxy invented the television and the pixel.

You forgot to mention that one afternoon (I think it was a Sunday), he also invented the Pixelate filter.

Sep 14 06 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Do you make crappy pictures and then defend them by calling them art? Do you call yourself an artist but don't know the names of any famous artists? Do you say you don't need to be famous to be an artist when you read questions like this? Have you never cracked open an art history book to see what went on or is going on in the art community because your such a great artist yourself you don't need to? You might have found out that El Grecco was the first person to use Unsharp Masking in a painting in the 16th century or that Seurat by proxy invented the television and the pixel. Have you never studied perspective such as that illustrated so wonderfully by Escher because you already have a filter that does it for you? Do you spend a lot of time in the bathroom with a Victoria's Secret catalog telling yourself, "I could shoot that",

You had me dead to rights up to this part.

but you wind up ruining the pages and having to throw out your inspiration? Do you just shoot crappy shit that has no merit because you simply wanted to see a girl with no clothes on and maybe get laid but when your feet are held to the fire you drag out the art card? You know the art card, absolutely everyone on the planet owns one. They're real cheap and easy to get a hold of. No school, no study, no knowledge, no discipline, no experience needed. Just point and shoot and call it art and defy anyone to tell you different and if they do tell you different call them an elitist  Neanderthal. Is this you?

Sep 14 06 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Artisnotanaccident

Saugerties, New York, US

Another Bob Randall thread  to wake up to... where's the inuendo... did I miss it?  There's no talk of toilets yet, is there?

Sep 14 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I think one of the best places for new photographers is the bargain sections at the front of bookstores where you can find bad art history books marked down 80%.  The criticism may not be great, but the images are the same. 

And I thought unsharp mask was invented by Greek thespians who used similar makeup techniques so their features could be seen from a distance.  But I may be totally making that up.

Sep 14 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Artisnotanaccident wrote:
Another Bob Randall thread  to wake up to... where's the inuendo... did I miss it?  There's no talk of toilets yet, is there?

No toilets so far, but are we having fun and has it helped to forget the miserable debates down the hall in the bondage suites?

Sep 14 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Coops Walking

Palm Bay, Florida, US

Do you make crappy pictures and then defend them by calling them art?

WHy yes, I do.  But I'm willing to learn to not be a fraud.  Anyone wanna grab my hand and lead me to the non-fraud section.

Last art book I looked at was,,, well I can't even remember the guy's name, but it was in 1980 something.  We all start somewhere, and I rather enjoy playing catch up after starting at the back of the line.  wink

Sep 14 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Bob, why is the guy in your avatar blowing his nose on his sweater?

Sep 14 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Artisnotanaccident

Saugerties, New York, US

No toilets so far, but are we having fun and has it helped to forget the miserable debates down the hall in the bondage suites?

Oh, I don't debate bondage... not in that thread.

Sep 14 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Artisnotanaccident

Saugerties, New York, US

Fluffytek wrote:
Bob, why is the guy in your avatar blowing his nose on his sweater?

It's better than wipping it on his hand.

Sep 14 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

JcphotogWP wrote:

WHy yes, I do.  But I'm willing to learn to not be a fraud.  Anyone wanna grab my hand and lead me to the non-fraud section.

Not me, I'm staying right where I am so I don't lose my place.

Sep 14 06 09:51 am Link