Forums > General Industry > What age did you start/how long you been going?

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

I signed a few motnhs before I turned 19, and I am 23 now. Wow..... it's amazing how fats time goes, isn'tit? I feel like i have been doingthis FOREVER on one hand, but on the other it feels like yesterday that I was utterly terrified and going to my first  job with only a few shoots under my belt. hmm

LOL--- does anyone else remember how scared you were with your first job? Or am I the only loser that was nervous?

I don't model so much anymore... Ihave some clients that have used me alot over the years I still work with occasionally. and photographers that give me work.... but, as i said, i am 23... which is old in fashion smile

So, now I am starting with my acting... and wow... I love it! Take the "joy" of 15-30 castings on a 110 degree day in NYC in 4 inch stilletos and a book that gets heavier by the block versus acting????? No contest....

Rachel

Sep 13 06 05:45 pm Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

Justin Huang wrote:
my photo career peaked at the age of 7 when i won 3rd place in my elementary school's photo contest. sadly, it all went downhill from there.

hehe, thats adorable!

Sep 13 06 05:46 pm Link

Model

Nekkid Girl

Chicago, Illinois, US

I started when I was 18, traveled around the main markets for a couple of years, then settled back in Chicago. I unexpectedly got pregnant so I took about a year and a half off. Now I'm 24 and basically starting all over from scratch. I don't think I'll ever get as much work as I was getting once upon a time, but it's still fun to do on the side. I've also been doing make-up for about two years.

Sep 13 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Started at 25, and now I'm 27. Hoping something good happens of it before I'm 30.

Sep 13 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Photography, 21, 25

Sep 13 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Wolf 189

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

My father "taught" me basic photography when I was around 8.
(Using the word "taught" loosely there a bit. )
He basically showed me an afternoon light and told me "In this light you should use 1/125 sec. and F 11 to get a fool proof result using a 100 ISO film when people almost facing towards sun...be careful your shadow wouldn't be on them and don't cut anybody's head!"

He had a German Kodak Retinette (range finder) which since then has been traveling with me all around the world and still is on my desk right now.
I used to expose couple rolls using it in each trip until it stopped working just about 2-3 years ago.

I got my first part time job as a film critique and event/gallery opening photographer for this decent size newspaper when I was around 15-16.
Later same year I started studying Cinema side by side to my typical schooling...and eventually Photography took over it all.

I have had different day jobs anytime my photography business has been slow (since I am not very good in marketing and I've kept moving between countries, I can't keep my clients or get new ones easily...and I have lived in 13-14 countries just like a gypsy which doesn't help much in marketing!) but I have never stopped photography during these years.

It's a very long weird story but I still shoot film, love cinema and photography and now I am almost 34.

Here are some of the shots using that antique camera, Retinette 1952?:

(Dubai, UAE 1994 )
https://www.cityevents.tv/talentfinder/showartistphoto.php?id_artistphoto=26927

(Paris, France 1995)
https://www.cityevents.tv/talentfinder/showartistphoto.php?id_artistphoto=26926

(Singapore 1997)
https://gallery.photo.net/photo/2932794-lg.jpg

(Kiel, Germany 1998)
https://www.cityevents.tv/talentfinder/showartistphoto.php?id_artistphoto=26923

(Istanbul, Turkey 1996)
https://www.cityevents.tv/talentfinder/showartistphoto.php?id_artistphoto=26924

(Xuzhou, China 2001)
https://www.cityevents.tv/talentfinder/showartistphoto.php?id_artistphoto=26920

Sep 13 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

I started photography about 12 and now I'm.....ahem.......43.  I still LOVE it as much as when I first started.

Sep 13 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I started twice.

Back in late 80's I was doing ceramics/sculpture and got tired of paying big bucks for product shots and decided to do my own.  Bottom line is that the light tent got little use and I became fascinated with photography from so-called street photography to the darkroom (I loved playing with chemicals.)  I was very much more literal then, photojournalistic realism was my goal.

I pretty much lost all my gear and nearly every negative in the '89 Loma Prieta earthquake.  And I didn't pick up a camera for a good measure of time.

When I did, I used the camera to capture the stuff that I wasn't able to express with my functional ceramics.  It became my 2-d way of doing things, portraying things that 3-d sculpture wasn't able to do.   And early on I started mixing it with other media, and assembling it onto other forms.

Sep 13 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
I started twice.

Back in late 80's I was doing ceramics/sculpture and got tired of paying big bucks for product shots and decided to do my own.  Bottom line is that the light tent got little use and I became fascinated with photography from so-called street photography to the darkroom (I loved playing with chemicals.)  I was very much more literal then, photojournalistic realism was my goal.

I pretty much lost all my gear and nearly every negative in the '89 Loma Prieta earthquake.  And I didn't pick up a camera for a good measure of time.

When I did, I used the camera to capture the stuff that I wasn't able to express with my functional ceramics.  It became my 2-d way of doing things, portraying things that 3-d sculpture wasn't able to do.   And early on I started mixing it with other media, and assembling it onto other forms.

And there you have it folks: no mention of her age whatsoever.

Hmph.  Just like a woman.  Typical...

Sep 13 06 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Started around 35 by enrolling in photo school and have been a photographer intermittently since.  I'm 55 now.

-Don

Sep 13 06 09:58 pm Link

Model

Ella Bella

Seattle, Washington, US

started: 18
now: 19

such a newb.

Sep 13 06 10:00 pm Link

Model

Ramona Marie

Los Angeles, California, US

Started modeling professionally for a big agency when I was 15.  Took a break at 22 to pursue college.  25 now, and seems like I'm still good for the market...being asian, and people thinking that I'm 18 still. Love that now I can get into more of the sexier side of modeling.  At 18, I looked 12!

Sep 13 06 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Wolf 189

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
I started twice.

This is very cool...simply because of need you became a photographer!

Sorry about losing the equipments...I know the feeling.

Sep 13 06 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

my dad gave me one of these in 1960 when i was 10

https://www.englandtree.com/images/photos/old_camera.jpg

Sep 13 06 11:52 pm Link

Model

Nik B

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

i started 7 months ago today! MM anniversary! i started when i was 20.

Sep 14 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

Frank Vigil Photography wrote:
I'll be 56 in a few weeks.  I first knew I was drawn to photography when I was five years old.  I was rummaging through my older brother's drawer (so much neat stuff that I wasn't allowed to have) when I discovered his Kodak Brownie camera.  I was so keen on it, I stole it and ran around the house and yard for the next few days, "taking pictures" of anything and everything I saw.  Not only did I ruin the role of film (but I kept on "shooting" anyway), I drew the ire of my brother when he discovered I had it!  It was love at first sight though, and I was hooked.  Photography clubs all through Jr. High and High school, majored in photography in college, was a photographer in the Air Force for four years and then bought my first studio (existing business).  I was hooked!

Interestingly, it wasn't until I was 34 that I realized I was getting tired of photography, it had become too much like work.  By then, I was working as a photojournalist and an aerial photographer, had photos published in several, major magazines (Time and Scientific American among them); and was pretty settled.  Tired of the "poor artist" routine though, I abandoned it all in '84 and got involved in something entirely different.  This proved to be quite successful and photography became a serious hobby (and FUN again!).  It wasn't until a few years ago that I once again changed course and became a full time, professional photographer.  Now, at the age of 56, I'm unlikely to change careers again, so I have some large goals for myself.

I love photography, but I also know that there is the danger of losing the fun aspect of it if I'm not careful.  Work should always be fun!

Regards,

Frank

Sep 14 06 12:41 am Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

Frank Vigil Photography wrote:
I'll be 56 in a few weeks.  I first knew I was drawn to photography when I was five years old.  I was rummaging through my older brother's drawer (so much neat stuff that I wasn't allowed to have) when I discovered his Kodak Brownie camera.  I was so keen on it, I stole it and ran around the house and yard for the next few days, "taking pictures" of anything and everything I saw.  Not only did I ruin the role of film (but I kept on "shooting" anyway), I drew the ire of my brother when he discovered I had it!  It was love at first sight though, and I was hooked.  Photography clubs all through Jr. High and High school, majored in photography in college, was a photographer in the Air Force for four years and then bought my first studio (existing business).  I was hooked!

Interestingly, it wasn't until I was 34 that I realized I was getting tired of photography, it had become too much like work.  By then, I was working as a photojournalist and an aerial photographer, had photos published in several, major magazines (Time and Scientific American among them); and was pretty settled.  Tired of the "poor artist" routine though, I abandoned it all in '84 and got involved in something entirely different.  This proved to be quite successful and photography became a serious hobby (and FUN again!).  It wasn't until a few years ago that I once again changed course and became a full time, professional photographer.  Now, at the age of 56, I'm unlikely to change careers again, so I have some large goals for myself.

I love photography, but I also know that there is the danger of losing the fun aspect of it if I'm not careful.  Work should always be fun!

Regards,

Frank

Frank,
I don't know if I belive you you look very young in your avadar photo of yourself.

ahddhdhaahha Just kidding.

Sep 14 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

glitterguru

Valencia, California, US

Strated shooting at 16 won the "Daily News" photo contest with my first roll of film...

I was a singeer and still did photography at the same time..

stopped in my early thirties for a while and was just doing retouching and imaging for a few years

...not going to give out my EXACT age...what girl would BUT..

I've been in this business in some capacity for over 20 years!..WOW...

GG

Sep 14 06 12:48 am Link

Model

Rose Noir

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm 20, I'll be 21 in a couple of weeks... I started modeling when I was 19. I'm getting a lot of work and doing fantastic. I just wish I could be this busy all the time LOL.

Rose Noir

Sep 14 06 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Hmmm...Like 11 or 12yrs old, sold my 1st pix @ 13, and have been at it ever since.
Call it 40 yrs give or take a bit, some periods  more active then others.
Of course the equipment has changed so that even a chimp can take a properly exposed photograph; however to make it a picture that tells a story, and looks like something: still requires that  indefinable,  unteachable, quality of the 'eye'. You either got it or you don't.

Paul

Sep 14 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Gerry Hanan

Round Rock, Texas, US

I have been taking pictures on the weekends and one or two nights per week for about 2 years.

Sep 14 06 01:20 am Link