Forums > General Industry > What are you good at?

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I'm putting this in general since it applies in front of the camera and behind, but...

What are you good at?

- Fashion, Glamour, Portaits, Nudes, cute puppy dogs and fluffy Bennies? (er, Bunnies.)

Do you specialize or can you change hats as needed?  What are your limitations?  Do they bug you?  Should I wake up more before starting open ended posts?

Just curious.  At a time when I'm trying to expand what I can do I'm running into my own limitations, so it seemed like a good time to ask.

Sep 11 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

San Diego, California, US

I'm good at overwhelming myself with too many fun projects. It frustrates me, but I love it. I want to learn how to bend and expand time so I have more to do the things I crave.

Very nice avatar, by the way. It looks like another universe ... another dimension through the portal of the eye of your lovely model.

Sep 11 06 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I am good at anything, as long as it does not make money.......

Sep 11 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Webspinner wrote:
I am good at anything, as long as it does not make money.......

Pshaw.. If not making money were arm wrestling.. I'd tear yer arm off.. wink

But seriously.. If I can uncross the wires in my brain long enough to write a post that stays on topic AND makes sense...

What areas of photography/modeling do you excel at.. Which areas do you NOT excel at.  Do you wish you could expand into more realms, or get even better at what you already do?

And for the pros (self appointed or real), which would you consider more valuable?

Personally, I very much like the bits I'm good at.  What I can do makes me very happy (well, as happy as I get..)  But when I find something I'm not good at (recent examples are the glamour genre and certain types of editing) I get very petulant and frustrated..  It's a challenge to overcome, but sometimes the more you fight the worse things get.

Looking at other people's work..  A good majority of people's styles are very distinct and fall into 1 or 2 areas..  Is that a good thing or a bad thing?  I have no idea?

Do styles grow from limitations or perfecting one's expectations? 

Don't know.. Some of my favorite pics of mine are my darker stuff.. But in all honesty this stuff was born from the fact that my seamless paper backgrounds had wrinkles and they were pissing me off.. wink

What about you?

Sep 11 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Pixel Fist

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

For the most part, I seem to be only good at creating art work that appeals to me.
Once in a while someone really likes one of my pieces.
Making money?  Wow!  Interesting concept!

Sep 11 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
I'm putting this in general since it applies in front of the camera and behind, but...

What are you good at?

- Fashion, Glamour, Portaits, Nudes, cute puppy dogs and fluffy Bennies? (er, Bunnies.)

Do you specialize or can you change hats as needed?  What are your limitations?  Do they bug you?  Should I wake up more before starting open ended posts?

Just curious.  At a time when I'm trying to expand what I can do I'm running into my own limitations, so it seemed like a good time to ask.

My area has primarially been nature/architecture photgraphy.  My big downfall is model photography (of most styles) which is why I've sought out this site.  to learn from others involved in many aspects of this photography.

When working with models, though, I usually tend to have "conceptual" photographs, as opposed to a straight foreward bikini babe on the beach etc etc...

I like to try to tell stories through my models.

Sep 11 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

San Diego, California, US

Ok, if you can uncross the wires in your brain to stay on thread, then I'll try too, for the sake of good topic lubrication here:

W.G. Rowland wrote:
What areas of photography/modeling do you excel at.. Which areas do you NOT excel at.

Developing a rapport with customers and people I work with. This counts for a lot in bringing potential to application, and achieving a response or reward.

I'm not fine tuned, but I'm effective in provoking the response I'm reaching for. I guess that makes me more pragmatic or entrepreneurial than artistic. Slick perfect work that never gets noticed litters the sides of the road to success everywhere.

There should be a balance to that somewhere.

W.G. Rowland wrote:
Do you wish you could expand into more realms, or get even better at what you already do?

Of course. Unless I'm dead. At that point, I'm not sure what happens anyway.

W.G. Rowland wrote:
Looking at other people's work..  A good majority of people's styles are very distinct and fall into 1 or 2 areas..  Is that a good thing or a bad thing?  I have no idea?

It's both good and bad, depending on how it manifests itself. It can be a rut. It can be the photo equivalent of writers block.

It can also be market positioning and name brand recognition. It can develop and separate you out as a recognizable entity amongst the ocean of others out there who are nameless and look like everyone else.

http://www.determan.net/Michele/mposition.htm

The last part about limitations being a help or hinderence:what we can say is that all successful people in any particular place have success in common. Beyond that one uniting element, the way they got there varies widely. It varies by far more than the number of people who have reached a benchmark of success. Trial and error. Very few people hit it right the first time. Lots of people fall into success through the back door, then develop it or not from there.

Get a cold six pack of Becks beer and go find Click Hamilton. He's good at this stuff.

Sep 11 06 10:55 am Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I would have to say that I don't excell at nudity, but I do excell at showing up on time.  Do I get a cookie?

sorry couldn't help it.  ok Honest post:

I excell at getting a point across.  (trained actor)  I can make you feel whatever it is I want you to.  However I'm horrible when I have to deal with things I don't like/have no patience for.  If a concept bores me, I've done it, or I find someone irritating, I just won't even try to work with them.  No Polite smile.  (I probably won't be working on that either, since I'm not a professional model, I don't have to.  smile  a little thing that makes me smile.)

Horrible person aren't I?  It's so much nicer when I just ask for brownies and cake...

Sep 11 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

...Stacy wrote:
I would have to say that I don't excell at nudity, but I do excell at showing up on time.  Do I get a cookie?

Yes, but it's waiting for you in California..

Sep 11 06 11:03 am Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

Yes, but it's waiting for you in California..

wow... it's going to be stale when I get there.  you can just eat it.  smile

Sep 11 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'm good at portraiture.  The reason I'm good at portraiture has nothing to do with technical prowess, which I assuredly do not have.  I'm good at it because I'm good with people, I connect with them well, and I'm almost always able to put them at ease enough that who they really are comes to the surface long enough to photograph. 

I'm also not bad at photographing plus size people, and at male figure work.  I think that's because I have an intense interest in photographing the kinds of people who aren't so commonly the subject of photographs.

I'm trying to learn commercial plus photography, but it's still pretty hit or miss for me.  That may have something to do with the fact that I have absolutely no fashion sense whatsoever, and could care less about it in my own life.  (I'm that person who finds a shirt she likes and buys it in eight colors in order to never have to think about what she's putting on in the morning.)  I'm nowhere near as interesting a photographer when I'm trying to get a person's whole body in the frame.  I'm working on it.  It's slow going.

But portraits are what I'm best at and what I love the most.  It's probably something I'll pursue professionally soon, and it's the only thing that I so far feel confident in my ability to produce consistently.

Sep 11 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

What are you good at?

don't you mean fluffing Bennies lol

Sep 11 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Benny-H wrote:

don't you mean fluffing Bennies lol

I wish you and MHana would tie the knot..

MM needs the pitter patter of a bunch of little Benny-Hana's running around..  (Oh well, sounded funny in my head..)

Sep 11 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

I'm good at pissing sir bob off.

(it's my life's calling)

Sep 11 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

studio L wrote:
I'm good at pissing sir bob off.

(it's my life's calling)

You undersell yourself.. You're apparently also adroit at thread sinking.. (Just teasing.. Seemed funnier than saying *bump*)..

Sep 11 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

My clients think I'm good at directing people, I think they are right.

Sep 11 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
My clients think I'm good at directing people, I think they are right.

So what do you do if you can take a good picture, have a good eye, but are absolutely hopeless at directing people?

The perfect answer would be quite useful, I think I've got another shoot coming up this week..

Sep 11 06 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

I'm really good at being annoying.

mjr.

Sep 11 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
I'm really good at being annoying.

mjr.

No you're not. wink

Sep 11 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
No you're not. wink

I didn't say you weren't better, sensei. smile

mjr.

Sep 11 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I'm great at food......cooking it, eating it, photographing it.....that's because it's readily available....

At models....well....there are on two in Ocala....LOL......so we all have to take turns!.....and the wait is so long I forget what I did the last time...

Sep 11 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

So what do you do if you can take a good picture, have a good eye, but are absolutely hopeless at directing people?

The perfect answer would be quite useful, I think I've got another shoot coming up this week..

When I first started working in photography I never gave a thought to how I would handle people because I was a product table top shooter. At one point I was asked to speak at a seminar filled with prepress people and their clients. I was so nervous I must have taken 30mg of Valium to get through the day. As time went by I started thinking of shooting people as my business and I knew my shortcomings around people, so I invented another persona to deal with people. This guy I invented knew he could get anyone to do anything he wanted without hesitation, and if for some reason a person balked at my other persona's ideas he would call them an idiot and kick them out of the studio. It only happened once and that was with a real piece of shit rock star. I, could hide behind the persona. It was fun and it eventually brought me to the person I am today. Try to suspend reality and pretend you arte watching someone else ask the questions and demanding the results. As preposterous as it seems, it works. I can talk in front of thousands at this point as easily as I can talk to you. I no longer use the persona because it became me and I became it. The more you use it the easier it gets.

Sep 11 06 03:12 pm Link