Forums > General Industry > Where is / isn't it OK to shoot nudes outdoors?

Photographer

Paul Thomas 3

Denver, Colorado, US

Anyone ever had any run-ins with the police? If so, I'm curious what the laws are in your area since I travel a great deal...

Sep 09 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

SPI Glamour

Arnold, Nebraska, US

As an ex-cop in Colorado, it's only against the law to be nude in public if someone complains!  So, that may not prevent you from getting to know the local constabulary, it might at least give you a little wiggle room!  (Oh, and unless they have changed the law, the police officer can not be the one who protests!)  While I would not condone trying to walk naked down the 16th St. Mall, I think there are a lot of places up in the mountains where a person could be naked, and the occasional hiker would not complain.  A little common sense will guide you, I think.  Once, while fly fishing, my son and I happened across a quite naked lady bathing in a creek...we smiled and went our own ways, and now harm was done.  Good luck to you!!

Sep 09 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

I am probably considered an expert in the field.

...stay away from poison ivy, oak and sumack.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1309289

Oh, and I would recommend another photographer's private property, like the enchanted Gold Forest in Lil Rhody where
the long arm of the law does not apply.

Sep 09 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

frederick miller

Burbank, California, US

dgold wrote:
I am probably considered an expert in the field.

...stay away from poison ivy, oak and sumack.

Oh, and I would recommend another photographer's private property, like the enchanted Gold Forest in Lil Rhody where
the long arm of the law does not apply.

VERY WISE INDEED!!  AND FUNNY TOO.  In the field...hah...no pun intended I'm sure!

Sep 09 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Thomas 3

Denver, Colorado, US

SPI Glamour wrote:
As an ex-cop in Colorado, it's only against the law to be nude in public if someone complains!

Really? Wow, that's bizarre. How about other states? I'm particularly interested in AZ, NV, and FL, where I seem to be doing alot of this stuff...

Anyone know?

Sep 10 06 07:00 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Not too sure about those States , but , my opinion is , where ever you can get away with it ,

For areas with watch men or a concierge etc , a little green goes a long way....shhhhhhhhhh smile

Sep 10 06 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Paul Thomas 3

Denver, Colorado, US

LOL. That's pretty much what I've been doing. But I'd love to know what might happen if caught.

One time I was shooting Amanda Swisten on the beach at sunrise in Santa Monica, obviously a highly populated area, and the beach patrol drove by and slowed down for a long look and I thought we were totally busted, but they just kept on going and didn't do anything....

Sep 10 06 07:11 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

It REALLY depends on the jurisdiction.  For instance, Brevard county (Cocoa Beach area) has specific laws banning nudity pretty much anywhere but in your Dr's office or in your home with the curtains closed, including a 3 page definition of what constitutes butt crack for the purposes of spelling out bathing suit thong width, and a section that says men cant have a visible stiffy in public EVEN IF DRESSED (we always feel bad for the officer that gets assigned to making that call & writing the tickets, and I've broken that law more than once).  Seminole county (where I live) has a similar law minus the 3 page & stiffy sections.  Both laws were literally written by lawyers for the Christian Coaltion.  A few years ago they went around several red states in heavily republican areas and offered county comissions & city councils "assistance" passing such laws, meaning basically they handed a pre-written law over, let the lawyers & politicos make minor changes, and then promised to spend $ to defend it in court so the local governments wouldn't lose out fighting to keep the law.  The laws have been used to shutter nude clubs, beaches, and more.  So you need to check the local laws!

There ARE some exceptions to this, as in Brevard county you have federal jurisdiction of some areas of the Canaveral seashore where nudity is legal (the well known Playalinda Beach), as well as some islands in the intracostal waterway that're similarly federal.  Also in Seminole you have some exceptions if you're on private property and out of public sight and doing the nudity for the purposes of an artistic performance or purpose.  The cops have still arrested people during plays & such but have lost in court.

There're a few good lists of beaches in Florida where you can shoot nudes.  Besides Playalinda, the big one on the east coast is Hallandale Beach at the north end of South Beach in Miami (where all my beach nudes were shot, as well as some of my swimsuit stuff...no dressing room needed!), Apollo Beach, and a few others.  If you Google "Nude beach Florida" there're a few sites that list them.

Sep 10 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I have discovered if you go to Northern Ontario to Algonquin Park, paddle three hours and two portages to get to your campsite, there is not much of a problem with police (shameless pandering to get people to look at my Algonquin Park nudes....) Have to watch the leaches though. The water is clear and warm, and there aren't many leaches, but I saw a really big one. It scared me more than a cop. Somehow, no one seems willing to paddle three hours to report some b(o)(0)bies. Also, I shoot nudes, as both a photographer and model in my courtyard (shameless pandering about home studio space), as all the neighbors are artists or artist friendly, and we are locked out from the outside. There are other gardens, but I don't know the tenants there, and for nudes, my place is cool enough. I am sure when Lapis gets reactivated you will see more algonquin park and courtyard nudes. I love to shoot on location and available light and love to pose the same way.

Sep 10 06 11:24 am Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

The Vatican

Sep 10 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Tikeya wrote:
The Vatican

There are a LOT of cool rooms there.....unfortunately, while one probably wouldn't get caught, they would have to break into the closed rooms since the other ones are so crowded.

And if you break into locked doors in the vatican, everyone knows, there is hell to pay. I just want to see their erotic art collection.

To keep the masses from being exposed to such things, they collected volumes and paintings they considered too prurient for the masses, and destroyed the other copies (in the case of the books).

Sep 10 06 11:33 am Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

A children's park

Sep 10 06 11:38 am Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Sea World...they might mistake your model for ShaMOO.

Sep 10 06 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

I've found that you can shoot almost anywhere in my city.  I was shooting a nude, early in the morning in an industrial section of town.  She had a coat on, but nothing underneath. I'd get set up, and when we were ready for the shoot - she's slip her coat off, throw it out of camera range, I'd I shoot - them we've move a few blocks and do it again.  A motorcycle cop drove my .... stoppped ... and watched.  I thought we were busted, but didn't know what the ticket would be for.  The model had just put her coat on, look at the officer, smiled, and flashed him big time!! The cop about fell off his motorcycle and started laughing, smiling, stammering ... all at the same time.  Then he got a call on his radio, and he told us we might want to move out of the street and to have a good day ... then he split.  He must have had a great story to tell his other cop buddies when he got back.  The model and I just laughed our butts off ... and kept on shooting.

Check the local laws in the city or county you're going to shoot in and see what they say regarding public nudity.  It's not a state issue, per se, it's a local one.

/tim

Sep 10 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Tzalam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am not sure if it's provicial or City law but in Toronto a woman can be topless anywhere in the city as long as it doens't cause a problem

Sep 10 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

if the wind is high and you are nude and your ass is whistling, then you should head to the studio.

Sep 10 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Winn Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Paul Thomas wrote:
One time I was shooting Amanda Swisten on the beach at sunrise in Santa Monica, obviously a highly populated area, and the beach patrol drove by and slowed down for a long look and I thought we were totally busted, but they just kept on going and didn't do anything....

California, like Colorado, it is not against the law unless someone complains and the officer can not complain on his own behalf. At least it was that way when I left about 5 years ago.

Sep 10 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

lightswitch

Sacramento, California, US

there used (or maybe still is) a guy who did yoga naked at fisherman's wharf in san francisco. someone complained and the cops came but found that the guy wasn't breaking any laws.

in san francisco, you may be nude in public as long as you are not being lewd or obscene (e.g. making sexual gestures, masturbating, relieving yourself, etc)

Sep 10 06 03:19 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

that awesome ... so many yoga poses wold look pretty 'obscene' done by a naked old man
lol !!

Sep 10 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Thomas 3

Denver, Colorado, US

Tikeya wrote:
A children's park

That's just wrong! smile

Sep 10 06 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Thomas 3

Denver, Colorado, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
and your ass is whistling

Thankfully this hasn't happened to me... LOL

Sep 10 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Never ever shoot a naked woman out of season!

Sep 10 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Thomas 3

Denver, Colorado, US

SLE Photography wrote:
It REALLY depends on the jurisdiction.  For instance, Brevard county (Cocoa Beach area) has specific laws banning nudity

OK, mostly I've shot around Tampa. I'm sure the laws are the same or similar around there, so I'm lucky not to have been caught. Any idea what the punishment would be? If it's a $50 ticket, I might be willing to keep taking the risk.

Sep 10 06 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
if the wind is high and you are nude and your ass is whistling, then you should head to the studio.

Speak oh toothless one!

Sep 10 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

Sep 10 06 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Thomas 3

Denver, Colorado, US

Bryan Benoit wrote:
A link that may help a bit...

http://www.nac.oshkosh.net/StatesFrames … ation.html

That is good. Seems like most states make clear exceptions for mothers who are breastfeeding... So maybe the children's park isn't such a bad idea after all?? j/k

Sep 10 06 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

In Ohio supposedly the State Parks are topless. Regardless, I think it's important to be sensitive about trying not to get caught. It's not cool to do things where kids might see. Most parents that I know would prefer that their children not see nude adults. I think this is a pretty reasonable desire. When the wife and I shoot outdoors we try and find ways to minimize being encountered. Two weekends ago we hit the park while it was raining on and off all day and it was really deserted or we'll go to the beach at 6:00am. I feel pretty comfortable that if she got caught topless on the beach at 6:00am at least it would be by an adult. If you put yourself in a position where you could be encountered by families that's when the outraged complaints will begin flying.

Just my opinion...

Sep 11 06 04:11 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

SLE Photography wrote:
It REALLY depends on the jurisdiction.  For instance, Brevard county (Cocoa Beach area) has specific laws banning nudity pretty much anywhere but in your Dr's office or in your home with the curtains closed, including a 3 page definition of what constitutes butt crack for the purposes of spelling out bathing suit thong width, and a section that says men cant have a visible stiffy in public EVEN IF DRESSED (we always feel bad for the officer that gets assigned to making that call & writing the tickets, and I've broken that law more than once).  Seminole county (where I live) has a similar law minus the 3 page & stiffy sections.  Both laws were literally written by lawyers for the Christian Coaltion.  A few years ago they went around several red states in heavily republican areas and offered county comissions & city councils "assistance" passing such laws, meaning basically they handed a pre-written law over, let the lawyers & politicos make minor changes, and then promised to spend $ to defend it in court so the local governments wouldn't lose out fighting to keep the law.  The laws have been used to shutter nude clubs, beaches, and more.  So you need to check the local laws!

There ARE some exceptions to this, as in Brevard county you have federal jurisdiction of some areas of the Canaveral seashore where nudity is legal (the well known Playalinda Beach), as well as some islands in the intracostal waterway that're similarly federal.  Also in Seminole you have some exceptions if you're on private property and out of public sight and doing the nudity for the purposes of an artistic performance or purpose.  The cops have still arrested people during plays & such but have lost in court.

There're a few good lists of beaches in Florida where you can shoot nudes.  Besides Playalinda, the big one on the east coast is Hallandale Beach at the north end of South Beach in Miami (where all my beach nudes were shot, as well as some of my swimsuit stuff...no dressing room needed!), Apollo Beach, and a few others.  If you Google "Nude beach Florida" there're a few sites that list them.

not all...only some areas of south beach ....most are only topless....
halover beach a section is total nude...

placs you dont want to do nudes..... in front of a church...

Sep 11 06 04:41 am Link

Photographer

Paul Thomas 3

Denver, Colorado, US

The Don Mon wrote:
placs you dont want to do nudes..... in front of a church...

LOL. Probably should avoid police stations also, except in jurisdictions where the cops can't be the ones to complain... It would be funny to go right into the police station of one of those jurisdictions and shoot freely, since no one in there could complain!

Sep 13 06 07:29 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Brilliant!

Sep 13 06 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

There are no laws against public nudity in Vermont (with the exception of about 8 towns that have local ,ordinances.)
As long as you are descrete enough to not create a public nuisance, you will be breaking no laws.
You should probably avoid school grounds, shopping malls etc.

Sep 13 06 08:30 am Link