Forums > General Industry > Madrid bans too-thin models from catwalk

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

What has the world come too? Government regulating model sizes....

Their government decided models with a BMI of under 18 would be banned...
and in Barcelona a wedding dress exhibition banned models who were under a US size 8.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060908/lf … 0908143012

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entne … 88000.html

BMI Calculator

http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

That means a
5'11" girl would have to weight atleast 129lbs
5'8" 119lbs...

Sep 08 06 11:32 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Iris Swope wrote:

and a recent Wedding dress exhibit banned models who were under a US size 8.....

BMI Calculator

That means a
5'8" 119lbs...

Heh,

Really?

/living the room singing: Pizza, Pizza, Piiiizaaa..."/

Sep 08 06 11:37 pm Link

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Iris Swope wrote:

and a recent Wedding dress exhibit banned models who were under a US size 8.....

BMI Calculator

That means a
5'8" 119lbs...

YAY, think I will move to Spain so I can be NORMAL!   :-)

Sep 08 06 11:39 pm Link

Model

Alicia White

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

That kind of stinks, I mean I understand if they're doing it for like the "Paul Mitchell" models who usually look DEATHLY thin and clearly have eating disorders. That I can understand. But Im 5'7'' and probably dont weight more than 108, and I try to gain weight but cant and I eat like a pig! So I can feel with girls like that, that stinks for them!

Sep 08 06 11:39 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

That's interesting. That would exclude pretty much every upper level runway model.

Sep 09 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Madrid means nothing.  If Barcelona did it, fashion would abandon Spain entirely.

-Don

Sep 09 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Kizzy  wrote:

umm...

Sep 09 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I like women of all sizes. Never wanted to be a runway model anyway. And don't we have more important things to worry about then the typical superficial angst of teenage girls. Reminds me of the ridiculousness of the ban on Foie Gras in Chicago.

Sep 09 06 12:46 am Link

Model

Caitie Lee

Long Island, Kansas, US

well i suppose i would be rejected... my bmi is just shy of 15, but i think i look just fine the way i am thank you very much, screw the standards! i am healthy and eat normally, it's just in my genes

Sep 09 06 01:13 am Link

Model

Caitie Lee

Long Island, Kansas, US

lol forgot to mention i'd be rejected on the fact that im 5'4" alone, whoops

Sep 09 06 01:15 am Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Caitie Lee wrote:
lol forgot to mention i'd be rejected on the fact that im 5'4" alone, whoops

yeah, right, FORGOT, that's what we all thought!

LOL
jk! smile

Sep 09 06 01:19 am Link

Model

Caitie Lee

Long Island, Kansas, US

lol, well maybe one day they'll do a "mini model runway show"!!, sigh... i'd just prefer not to do you're typical glamourrr shoootssssss

Sep 09 06 01:21 am Link

Model

CTD- NYC Model

Fairfield, Connecticut, US

there was a little article in glamour do or dont?  "Making Models Eat" Sick of shooting bony waifs, Israeli photographer Adi Barkan lobbied his government to consider model licenses that would require twice yearly nutritionist appointments and a healthy body mass index ( at least 19). At press time, the Israeli bill was still up in the air.
::shrugs::

Sep 09 06 02:36 pm Link

Model

Elisa Lee

East Lansing, Michigan, US

Iris Swope wrote:

and in Barcelona a wedding dress exhibition banned models who were under a US size 8.....

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entne … 88000.html

BMI Calculator

That means a
5'8" 119lbs...

Come on, what's next?  A makeup ban to ensure we are more sympathetic towards the less attractive?

Sep 09 06 03:08 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

That's funny.

Sep 09 06 03:16 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Madrid means nothing.  If Barcelona did it, fashion would abandon Spain entirely.

Hmm.

Spanish daily ABC said it was the first time such restrictions had been imposed on a fashion show, although a recent wedding dress exhibition in Barcelona banned fashion models who took a dress size below 38 (British size 10, US size eight).

Size 8, eh?  Apparently not. smile

Interesting...

Sep 09 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Yeah, I just got thru reading this. Very interesting. Of course, it's not much different that turning away women who are too heavy either. There's a certain look they want to promote. If you don't fit that ideal, you just don't walk.

Standards change all of the time. Maybe the pendulum is headed back toward the more reubenesque physique. Or maybe the Les Toil physique...lol.(if you don't know of him, do a google search; great artist)

Sep 09 06 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

MEWanoDesigns wrote:
Yeah, I just got thru reading this. Very interesting. Of course, it's not much different that turning away women who are too heavy either. There's a certain look they want to promote. If you don't fit that ideal, you just don't walk.

Standards change all of the time. Maybe the pendulum is headed back toward the more reubenesque physique. Or maybe the Les Toil physique...lol.(if you don't know of him, do a google search; great artist)

Nah, they're just going to make the models more unhealthy by them gaining for that show, and then losing for others....

Sep 09 06 05:12 pm Link

Model

Christine

Los Angeles, California, US

Holy hell that's nothing, my BMI is under 18...and I'm not nearly as skinny as most models

Sep 09 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

Kizzy  wrote:

oldguysrule wrote:
umm...

me too! I like sleeping in the daytime.

Sep 10 06 06:20 am Link

Model

Model Lenore

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I were a US 2 dress 3 pants and I in my adult life never weighed under 119,  I'm 5'8 1/2".  And I sure don't look waifish. Then again they aren't sending me to do Versace either. It's a shame because not everyone starves to be small. Some people are just that way and others workout. And there's a stigma attached to being a certain size along with the positive, like you are doing something adverse or unnatural to be that way. And it is  because of individuals who do decide to do whatever they can to be deathly thin up on the catwalk and "in the audience".

Sep 10 06 06:53 am Link

Model

Model Lenore

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I just made it on the BMI 18.2!

Sep 10 06 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Webspinner wrote:
I like women of all sizes. Never wanted to be a runway model anyway. And don't we have more important things to worry about then the typical superficial angst of teenage girls. Reminds me of the ridiculousness of the ban on Foie Gras in Chicago.

Read about the ban in the NYT -- I really wanted to try Foie Gras pizza.  I confess to not being much of a gourmand, but they're always going on about foie gras and truffles on the Japanese version of Iron Chef, so it would be nice to know at least what the fuss tastes like.

Sep 10 06 07:09 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Webspinner wrote:
Reminds me of the ridiculousness of the ban on Foie Gras in Chicago.

Now there is something to talk about ! -----No Foie Gras for you missy, (or me)---------- !

smile

Sep 10 06 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

Read about the ban in the NYT -- I really wanted to try Foie Gras pizza.  I confess to not being much of a gourmand, but they're always going on about foie gras and truffles on the Japanese version of Iron Chef, so it would be nice to know at least what the fuss tastes like.

I feel the same way about swallow's nest and shark fin.

Sep 10 06 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Tzalam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

While i am prety sure the BMI is not always a good indicator of the models health and some models are naturally thin no matter their diet (lucky you).
I say it's about time someone did somethig about the stick thin models.

I won't shoot a model that looks too thin

But what do I know

Sep 10 06 07:21 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

CareLyn Anita wrote:
Now there is something to talk about ! -----No Foie Gras for you missy, (or me)---------- !

smile

I dunno, I don't believe in killing animals... so ban some weird stuff, fine with me...

P.S. (I'm not advocating the ban, but it doesn't bother me a bit) Who eats that anyhow??

Sep 10 06 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Iris Swope wrote:

I dunno, I don't believe in killing animals... so ban some weird stuff, fine with me...

P.S. (I'm not advocating the band, but it doesn't bother me a bit) Who eats that anyhow??

I'd try it if it were offered to me.  I have no guilt over eating from the top of the food chain.

Sep 10 06 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I think the US should do the same for professional athletes.  Check BMIs, and no one who is considered obese should be allowed to compete until they lose the weight.  For that matter, only people with BMIs between 18 and 30 should be allowed on TV.  Or in public.  We should hide anyone who is not average from the general public.  For their protection.

Sep 10 06 07:34 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I think the US should do the same for professional athletes.  Check BMIs, and no one who is considered obese should be allowed to compete until they lose the weight.  For that matter, only people with BMIs between 18 and 30 should be allowed on TV.  Or in public.  We should hide anyone who is not average from the general public.  For their protection.

And maybe not allow the uber-rich (MTV Cribs) to be shown on tv. It might cause crime, when people steal to try to keep up...

Oh, and pretty people make me feel less pretty, so can we like...only show the ugly people please? Wait, nevermind, I don't wanna look through magazines of ugly people...so we can just stop making magazines. Yes, that is the answer...

Sep 10 06 07:36 am Link

Model

Model Lenore

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Iris Swope wrote:
And maybe not allow the uber-rich (MTV Cribs) to be shown on tv. It might cause crime, when people steal to try to keep up...

That's funny.

Sep 10 06 07:42 am Link

Model

MsGeneChin

Oak Park, Illinois, US

yay....curve is back!!

Sep 10 06 08:09 am Link

Model

Mary Domingo

oOoppsss... & I'm the nutt who made a post on this a short while ago... ha ha

Sep 11 06 03:34 am Link

Model

Mary Domingo

gene chin wrote:
yay....curve is back!!

I'm happy about that as well... ha ha

Sep 11 06 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Star

bump

Sep 13 06 03:16 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Milan may follow Madrid... see the news article posted on this locked thread.

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=75575

The direct link may, or may not, still work... but the full text is posted on the above thread:

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlene … rss&rpc=22

Studio36

Sep 13 06 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

"I am envy. I can not read therefore all books should be banned."

Nov 06 06 11:31 am Link

Model

Belle Mari

Rialto, California, US

Wow!

Nov 06 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

If they're supposed to be idolized for their looks, what's wrong with having a standard that models look healthy?  Being terribly thin is just as unhealthy if not more so than being obese.  There's only an outcry because the waifish models are used to getting the spotlight.

"But I can't gain weight if I try!!!"  Who cares?  Many women can't lose weight if they try.  Hence, they can't be runway models.  They accept it and move on.

This isn't some minor problem to be brushed aside like it's nothing.  This is something more than "We're making a couple teenagers feel slightly more insecure."  People die from eating disorders all the time and sabotage their health and it isn't an exclusively adolescent phenomenon.

My aunt, the most beloved person in the world to me, died earlier this year from complications in crippling health problems that arose from *30 years* of anorexia.  The woman hadn't weighed more than 95 lbs since before I was born.  It started with Twiggy, and if drastic measures like this are what it takes to end it, I could give a rat's ass if a couple of models have to reconsider their target market.

Nov 06 06 11:45 am Link