Forums > General Industry > Available light shooters

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Do you find it difficult to shoot in cold weather or hot?

Sep 06 06 07:32 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Each presents it's own problems......

Cold weather makes your batteries die quicker. Static is a problem. Haven't shot digital in the cold but using film it has left static marks on negatives that look likt little lightning bolts. Film gets brittle and if you're not careful will snap when rewinding. Using motor drives is pretty dicey in both cases.

Now I live in Florida. Weather is during July/August is too freakin hot! Never can figure why people moved here before the days of airconditioning. I never schedule any outdoor shoots after 9am or before 4pm if I can help it. Use digital now so there is no effect on images. Although I imagine film might present some problems if shooting in mid day.

Sep 06 06 07:54 am Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

cold...batteries are a problem.

hot - with digital, high ISO or long exposures are problematic as noise will progressively get worse when the sensor gets warmer.

Sep 06 06 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

If I have strobes available to me, does that make them "available light"?

Sep 06 06 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

RRCPhoto wrote:
cold...batteries are a problem.

hot - with digital, high ISO or long exposures are problematic as noise will progressively get worse when the sensor gets warmer.

Interesting.....never knew that about sensors.....ya learn something everyday!

How about shooting in the 100-400 iso range...any foreseeable problems there???

Sep 06 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
Interesting.....never knew that about sensors.....ya learn something everyday!

How about shooting in the 100-400 iso range...any foreseeable problems there???

Long exposures will still cause more random noise with heat conditions.  Ambient + internally generated heat is the key factor.

This usually comes into play during astrophotography were you consectively do long exposures and the "dark noise" effect of the sensor is dramatic on consective shots.  So even the heat that is generated by the sensor itself during the time in which it's dumping the data down for processing can increase the noise enough to be visibly different.

Astrophotography sensors (as well as alot of medium format digital) are thermoelectrically cooled (or DIY cameras are liquid cooled) to prevent this from becoming an issue.

I actually saw that happen on the ones where you see this avatar - the shots got progressively noisier through the shoot - and that's with a CMOS sensor even.

CCD has more variation with this than CMOS sensors because CCD sensors atypically require more power - thus generate more heat.  However I don't want to get into a CMOS versus CCD debate or we'll have another 4,000 msg thread going smile

Sep 06 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

Not especially...

Sep 06 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

It's hard to fiddle with all the little buttons and dials while wearing mittens.

Sep 06 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Opus Lily

New York, New York, US

Nice try, Bob. You know the only reason you started this thread was to give Black Ricco more fodder. Admit it, you enjoy arguing with him. wink

Sep 06 06 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Never had a problem, even with my old Mamiya 645 Super. I used to take it and my Nikon FM with me Cross Country Skiiing in the Adirondaks at Lake Placid or in the Catskills at 0 or even -20 Fahrenheit. Just kept it in the Kletter Sack wrapped in insulation next to my body. Same with the film. Next to the body. My pack never got below 35 degrees inside. In the Cascades in Washington it just didn't get as cold in the southern passes as the North East unless you went very high in elevation. The problem was always sticking to the aluminium tripod legs ;-) not with cameras or film.

Sep 06 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

LiliOPhoto wrote:

Nice try, Bob. You know the only reason you started this thread was to give Black Ricco more fodder. Admit it, you enjoy arguing with him. wink

I doubt it -- BR got himself banned in another thread he started the same night. It was a lot of fun, really.

Sep 06 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I love available light. If it is too cold, they can come into my well lit house and get naked, and if it is hot, they can get naked in my courtyard. If it is neither too cold nor hot, I like it when they get naked in the dark in my courtyard so I can use my on camera flash and let ambient light in (not exactly available light, but considering I use nothing other than sunlight, a 60 watt heat lamp and my on camera flash, I am def. not a traditional studio shooter.)

Sep 06 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
It's hard to fiddle with all the little buttons and dials while wearing mittens.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Sep 06 06 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

No.

-Don

Sep 06 06 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

I live in Miami so 'cold' is not an issue... For 'hot' I try to shoot early and short during the summer (start at 6-7AM be done by 9 AM)... always have cold water available for model and myself (when I remember and don't leave it on the cooler by the door)... Sometimes when it is VERY hot my eyeglasses fog up and can't see a thing.

Used to shoot nature in the Everglades when it was VERY hot and never had any increased noise on any of my cameras at the time (1DS, 10D,) due to heat (110 degrees at 1PM shooting thunderstorms over the grass lands). However that doesn't amount to a scientific test.

Sep 06 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Models and extremely hot, humid conditions are not generally a good mix. Perspiration problems related to clothing, makeup and general comfort can make a shoot very difficult to accomplish.

Sep 06 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Carpe Imago Photography

Dousman, Wisconsin, US

I have to shoot at shutter speeds above 1/1000 when my teeth chatter or the shaking makes the image blurry.  But I did hear that all the new Canon lenses are coming out with CWIS (cold weather image stabilization) for those of us dumb enought to live this far north.

Sep 06 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

I hate the cold... and I'm Canadian!  Go figure.

Sep 06 06 09:58 pm Link