Forums > General Industry > Attn Models: How To Not Get Hired

Photographer

North Pole Photography

Eric Jackson wrote:
She's a legend in her own mind. And she wouldn't curse nobody out to their face, sh'ed do it through a monitor.

Models aren't the only ones.  Here is an example from a photographer:

"I have been recognized as an up an coming talent in my area..."
then:
"I am open to critique from photographers and models alike. No matter how big you get you can always learn and improve. If you stop accepting criticism, then you will never improve and you will have the same cheesy style as you did in the 70s. So if I comment on your work and you don't like what I say, please don't send me nasty remarks. I give my opinion and you can make the choice to accept it or delete my comments. Don't patronize me by throwing your outdated credentials in my face. I respect other professionals and expect the same in return."

Aug 31 06 08:11 am Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

i like how she says she's 21 and 23 years old.

Aug 31 06 08:40 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

William Herbert wrote:

Ifen U type lik' dis peeps mite gits annoyzd en tink  Ura  iediot. Alot ove peeps hear weely kint speel berry welz. I kinda looks ov'r eiot. Eiot weely duz helps whens U kin komunikate yus Idears. I aint's prefect fo' shure. Espezialely whenz da thoughtes flowz out ov mi minde n ontur da pagez.

LOL ....No, I am the queen of type-o's , but I am not here for my typing skillzzzzz.

Aug 31 06 08:49 am Link

Model

Dakota A

Jacksonville, Florida, US

hi everyone...
I agree that it is a bit childish to have that on your site... but i have only had an account with mm for a few days and i've already been asked for sex... no lie, and i don't have an "i'm too hot syndrome" i got an email from ("josh tamor" ) sent directly to my personal email (this happened yesterday) he said that he didn't mean to be offensive but would i be interested in having some "adult fun" for the sum of $500 per hour with "no camera's involved"

and i qoute ..... so in reality it does happen...
i was a bit shocked and just replied with a no thanks...
so we don't have to be childish about the situation...
but just thought i'd tattle on my little experience......

p.s. this is a very true  story i can forward the email... i'm not being stuck on myself as some blogs have implied on this subject...
hope i didn't offend anyone either

Aug 31 06 08:52 am Link

Model

Jennifer Dyanne

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

I'm aware I've only just started out here, but come on, anyone with half a brain should know better than to put that in a profile. Isn't the point here to meet new people and make contacts in the industry? Assuming that everyone wants to sleep with you just seems extremely juvenile and more than a little bit cocky. Last time I checked, a little bit of professionalism went a long way, in pretty much any aspect of life. Am I completely off base with this?

Aug 31 06 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

Envy wrote:
*cough "ur pictures are hott and ur confidence and professionalism is what keeps the modeling industry pumpin" cough*

Awww and shes in my area too... lucky me tongue

Aug 31 06 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Greg Kolack wrote:
Came across this in a model's profile today - sure makes me want to work with her!

to the photographers: please don't ask me personal questions. i've done modeling for awhile and as a model, i don't give out personal information and don't ask me for sex. i've done photography with several photographers and all of them have been professional and have never even dared to ask me that. if u do i will cuss u out guaranteed.

Now why would even put that in your profile? If no one has ever asked you that, why even bring it up? Is this the "I am so hot and you must want to fuck me" syndrome?

This is a perfect way to not get a job.

Gregg,

She approached me to do photos of her. We set up a date and time then she goes and tells me she's charging $500 for the session!! I laughed so hard my sides hurt and then hung up on her!

Rich

Aug 31 06 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Dakota Adams wrote:
hi everyone...
I agree that it is a bit childish to have that on your site... but i have only had an account with mm for a few days and i've already been asked for sex... no lie, and i don't have an "i'm too hot syndrome" i got an email from ("josh tamor" ) sent directly to my personal email (this happened yesterday) he said that he didn't mean to be offensive but would i be interested in having some "adult fun" for the sum of $500 per hour with "no camera's involved"

and i qoute ..... so in reality it does happen...
i was a bit shocked and just replied with a no thanks...
so we don't have to be childish about the situation...
but just thought i'd tattle on my little experience......

p.s. this is a very true  story i can forward the email... i'm not being stuck on myself as some blogs have implied on this subject...
hope i didn't offend anyone either

He must be confused.  He thinks he is on an "adult website"!!

Aug 31 06 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Come one guys.  Why do we continue to hide the fact that all photographers want sex; the pics are a secondary concern. She is only giving voice to a large overriding concern that most models are too intimidated to say.  I say good for her for recognizing that, yes, I too only want to fuck her and she should want to cuss me out.

How dare I even think to ask her personal questions in my feeble attempt to try to get to know my subject?  Everyone one knows that a real pro just takes the pics because everyone who is in front of the camera really knows how to work it or should!

/sarcasm

Aug 31 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

timothy dolph creative

Encinitas, California, US

haha... good one.

Check out my "Atlanta Wannabe Models" blog on my MySpace page at.

http://www.myspace.com/photosbydolph

Aug 31 06 09:13 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Rich Mohr wrote:

Gregg,

She approached me to do photos of her. We set up a date and time then she goes and tells me she's charging $500 for the session!! I laughed so hard my sides hurt and then hung up on her!

Rich

Holy crap.  It's only about 9:00 here and I think this is probably the funniest thing I'll see all day.

Aug 31 06 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Rich Mohr wrote:

Gregg,

Rich

You don't think with her cam pics and cheesy runway images and radio promotion backdrop images she is worth $500 for the shoot? Plus, you have the honor of being cussed out by her!

Sounds like someone has gotten ahold of her and convinced her she is the next big thing. (And the poor guy probably didn't get to have sex with her.)

This thing gets better every minute.

Aug 31 06 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin Inconnu

Chicago, Illinois, US

dncphotos wrote:
lol
can we photographers put disclaimers like that on our profiles ha ha ha

Don't ask to have sex with us in exchange for pictures and stuff ha ha ha, that probably happens more then photographers asking models to sleep with them.

You might be surprised. There are a lot of sleazy guys with cameras in this world, and some of them get in a lot of practice. A vast number of male photographers have sex with models, the precise configuration of the arrangement aside. It's mostly the amateur bunch, or at least the less talented tier. But it happens everywhere.

As a professional photographer, I don't even want to hear about nudity. A real photographer expects a model to be there for the PICTURES ... even crazy-ass Janice Dickinson understands that, and even Kate Moss is topless almost everywhere, and they're all naked off-camera anyway half the time. And you should see how the photographers are dressed ;D

Unprofessional photographers spend all their time convincing models to get naked, and the ones who actually care about the pictures find models who understand the concept of modeling. So here's my advice to all the ladies out there: "DO NAKED PICTURES BUT DON'T DO SLEAZY PICTURES!" especially sleazy pictures with clothes ON. I see all these slutty pictures in profiles of models who say "NO NUDES" but then their pictures make them look like total whores. And then you see Kate topless for the millionth time, and you realize the difference between pros and pervs is not just about nudity.

That's my two cents, anyway.

Benjamin

Aug 31 06 11:15 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Envy wrote:

This is a perfect way of not getting fucked either.

/end sarcasm

big_smile

Aug 31 06 11:26 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Greg Kolack wrote:
Came across this in a model's profile today - sure makes me want to work with her!

to the photographers: please don't ask me personal questions. i've done modeling for awhile and as a model, i don't give out personal information and don't ask me for sex. i've done photography with several photographers and all of them have been professional and have never even dared to ask me that. if u do i will cuss u out guaranteed.

Now why would even put that in your profile? If no one has ever asked you that, why even bring it up? Is this the "I am so hot and you must want to fuck me" syndrome?

you are just mad, because you wanted to offer her sex. but the when you've read this you undertood that she would not agree to have sex with you. and got mad because you didn't get sex from her.

Aug 31 06 11:31 pm Link

Model

Bunnie Page

Dallas, Texas, US

Greg Kolack wrote:

Well...I'd prefer a photographer not ask me for sex, also....but I don't think I'd put it on my profile.

Sep 01 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Madcitychel wrote:

you are just mad, because you wanted to offer her sex. but the when you've read this you undertood that she would not agree to have sex with you. and got mad because you didn't get sex from her.

Damn - you caught my real motive!

Sep 01 06 12:24 am Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Greg Kolack wrote:

Damn - you caught my real motive!

Yeah, we models know everything about you, you horny perverted photogrophers.

Sep 01 06 01:03 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Attn Models: How To Not Get Hired

Don't be with an agency in the market where the job is. Honestly.

[I know that's not the discussion we're having, but there it is. Back to our regularly scheduled program.]

Sep 01 06 03:35 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

*watches Marko's post sail over the heads of the crowd

Sep 01 06 03:42 am Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

dncphotos wrote:
lol

Don't ask to have sex with us in exchange for pictures and stuff ha ha ha, that probably happens more then photographers asking models to sleep with them.

Hehe I don't know but I dare you smile Anyway I love it, what is she thinking? Gotta love the models that have made it to A status in their heads and not in their actual careers. Always a very positive sign!

Sep 01 06 03:44 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

oldguysrule wrote:
*watches Marko's post sail over the heads of the crowd

[totally unrelated hijack, feel free to disregard]

Since I woke up this morning I've been listening to Belle and Sebastian. Specifically the "If You're Feeling Sinister" album. I suppose it's showing. Ah well... First day of September and it's warmer and sunnier than most of August in beautiful downtown Zagreb and the town is packed with everybody returning from Summer holidays. The season officially begins in earnest Monday. :-)

[/end hijack]

Sep 01 06 03:56 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

in earnest? i thought you were in zagreb!
hehe (i should have slept)

Sep 01 06 03:59 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

I am. Or else I wouldn't feel the Belle & Sebastian urge, most likely. (Belle is basically a slightly more cynical Scottish Simon & Garfunkel for those born after "Bridge Over Troubled Water.")

(Somebody obviously needs to follow his own advice. Also kinda the point. LOL)

Sep 01 06 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Chris Le

San Diego, California, US

Just curious...does she say "I don't give a fuck..." often when working? LOL

Sep 01 06 04:31 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

All her tags telling her how hot and gorgeous she is are from photographers - no models at all. They all obviously want to have sex with her! I can hear her cussing them out guaranteed!

Sep 01 06 06:06 pm Link

Model

Antonina

Atlanta, Georgia, US

LarryB wrote:
If'n i hAve 2 tyPe lik 'dis den I miyGt fyRE ur azz and go 2 ax sum1 eLse.

hahahah smile

Sep 01 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

She recently posted on OMP - guess what her profile says?

"FYI: just because i have hott pics does not allow u 2 ask me 4 sex. if u do, i will cuss u out guaranteed"

She also lists "professional" and "very experienced." Her entire profile is spelled out in AOL chat room slang. This is professional? And, to be blunt, the pics are crappy quality and not that "hott."

It just gets better and better.

Sep 16 06 03:27 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Greg Kolack wrote:

"FYI: just because i have hott pics does not allow u 2 ask me 4 sex. if u do, i will cuss u out guaranteed"

She also lists "professional" and "very experienced." Her entire profile is spelled out in AOL chat room slang. This is professional? And, to be blunt, the pics are crappy quality and not that "hott."

Who is this chick?  I really wanna know.

Sep 16 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Of course she gets asked for sex all the time. She worked at a strip club and Hooters. I would never hire someone like this.

Sep 16 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Mandy McKeating wrote:
i like how she says she's 21 and 23 years old.

Yeah. I have to start lying on my portfolio more. Put credits on there that are not real and such.

Sep 16 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Greg Kolack wrote:

Oh geesh...I'll wait for her to start a thread .."how come no photographers will hire me..." It's coming....it really is.. big_smile

Sep 16 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

"Aroo Industries"

Alton is expanding ..

Sep 16 06 03:56 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

ADGibson wrote:
Of course she gets asked for sex all the time. She worked at a strip club and Hooters. I would never hire someone like this.

You guys are making me desperate.  Who is she?!

Sep 16 06 04:02 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

This thread is tacky. It was tacky when it started and it got even tackier when it was revived after more than two weeks to talk more smack about the girl.

I won;t lock it because it's not quite against the rules, but if she's named, it goes.

Sep 16 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

theda wrote:
This thread is tacky. It was tacky when it started and it got even tackier when it was revived after more than two weeks to talk more smack about the girl.

I won;t lock it because it's not quite against the rules, but if she's named, it goes.

Yes mommie... big_smile

Sep 16 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

"to the photographers: please don't ask me personal questions. i've done modeling for awhile and as a model, i don't give out personal information and don't ask me for sex. i've done photography with several photographers and all of them have been professional and have never even dared to ask me that. if u do i will cuss u out guaranteed."

Does that mean a BJ is totaly out of the question?

Sep 16 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

RickHorowitzPhotography

Fresno, California, US

dncphotos wrote:
lol

Well, I've been amazed at some people with whom I've talked who seem to assume that my NOT being a full-time professional photographer, coupled with the fact that I have shot some nudes, means I'm a GWC.  Worse still were the "models" who apparently actually have a side business that's not as legitimate as modeling who assume I'm part of the market for their "product." 

I'm not.  I'm interested in making some images that will cause people to admire my ability with a camera and/or Photoshop.  There are plenty of places to find the other stuff.  Decent models are much harder to locate.  (Well, at least for me, apparently.)

Sep 16 06 04:16 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Yesssssss!!  Some kind and blessed soul pm'd me.  Now I'm dying laughing. 
My day is so much better now.
To Theda:  I apologize for adding to any tackiness.

Sep 16 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Sep 16 06 07:55 pm Link