Forums > General Industry > Okay I know this already exahusted But...

Model

Madalyn

Burlington, Vermont, US

I have gotten the hint Photographers dont favor tattoos, but with watching Miami Ink last night, there was a girl who got a Star Tattoo on the back of her neck so she can use that in her picture as "her signature"...I just dont get it, is that kind of Tattoo Okay? and Why?

Aug 30 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Ed Selby

BALL GROUND, Georgia, US

Madalyn wrote:
I have gotten the hint Photographers dont favor tattoos, but with watching Miami Ink last night, there was a girl who got a Star Tattoo on the back of her neck so she can use that in her picture as "her signature"...I just dont get it, is that kind of Tattoo Okay? and Why?

I love models with tats! Bring 'em on! In fact, the more the better!

Unless I'm shooting something "fashiony", or pin-up, or figure, or portrait, or anything else that a tattoo would look bad in.

Tattoos are fine, but like un-naturally colored hair, or "out of place" piercings, they are going to limit your market and marketability.

Aug 30 06 12:59 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Madalyn wrote:

Your question is not very clear. Perhaps you could be more specific.

Aug 30 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Madalyn wrote:

Describing "photographers" as one group is a bit like talking about "food service professionals." This could be everybody from the guy who drives the fish truck from restaurant to restaurant, to the girl behind the counter at McD's, to the head chef at Gotham in Manhattan, to the accounting manager at Olive Garden. It's just too broad a term to really mean anything in this context.

Some photographers actively dislike tattoos -- others won't shoot you if you don't have them. And then, there are a million variations in between, all depending on the type of photographer, the kind of work he does, if he is working for a client or not, and a million other variables.

Paul

Aug 30 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Extensive tattooing will definitely limit your opportunities, but as Envy can probably attest, it'll also make other people wild to work with you.  I'm extremely partial to extensive tattoos in my personal work, for example.  Location probably has a lot to do with it - the bigger the city, the more diverse, the more photographers there are, the greater the odds that an unusual model will find work.

Good luck.

Aug 30 06 01:07 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

I have over $1500 in tattoos on my body (as you can see in my port) but they are easily concealed (not on purpose, that's just where I wanted them) so during shoots I can expose them or not, depending on what the photographer and/or I are trying to achieve. all of the photographers I have worked with so far really love my tattoos and want to show them off. nobody has said to me "no I won't work with you because of your tattoos" they just think of a cool project that might work with it

Aug 30 06 01:11 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
Extensive tattooing will definitely limit your opportunities, but as Envy can probably attest, it'll also make other people wild to work with you.  I'm extremely partial to extensive tattoos in my personal work, for example.  Location probably has a lot to do with it - the bigger the city, the more diverse, the more photographers there are, the greater the odds that an unusual model will find work.

Good luck.

I must be having bad day. Everyone but me can make sense of the question proposed.
Is she asking if "star" tattoos are ok as opposed to ones with depictions of evil monkeys flinging shit?

OR

Is she asking if tattoos in general hinder your desire to be worked with by some photographers?

I'm stumped. sad

Aug 30 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

S

Envy wrote:
Is she asking if tattoos in general hinder your desire to be worked with by some photographers?

That's what I thought she was asking.

Or maybe it was more about why are some okay, and others aren't?

Now I'm confused too.  See what you do to me?

Aug 30 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

S

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
I have over $1500 in tattoos on my body (as you can see in my port) but they are easily concealed (not on purpose, that's just where I wanted them) so during shoots I can expose them or not, depending on what the photographer and/or I are trying to achieve. all of the photographers I have worked with so far really love my tattoos and want to show them off. nobody has said to me "no I won't work with you because of your tattoos" they just think of a cool project that might work with it

I love your tattoos.  Now come shoot with me!  wink

Aug 30 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
nobody has said to me "no I won't work with you because of your tattoos" they just think of a cool project that might work with it

Umm, chances are, the photographers who won't work with you because of your tattoos won't even enter into negotiations with you -- i.e. you'll never hear from them in the first place.

I won't photograph a tattoo.  I find them ugly (all of them), distracting, vain, & stupid.

Aug 30 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Envy wrote:
I must be having bad day. Everyone but me can make sense of the question proposed.
Is she asking if "star" tattoos are ok as opposed to ones with depictions of evil monkeys flinging shit?

OR

I'm stumped. sad

YOu hang out with JJ too much, you have an attitude now!

I think she asks whether a visible tatoo that would be like your signature - instantly recognizable -  is OK
and
whether photographers like models with that kind of signature tattoo.

I am guessing one that you cant hide ! huh!
now I am confused !  geez Envy..

No shit flinging !

Aug 30 06 01:16 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

Umm, chances are, the photographers who won't work with you because of your tattoos won't even enter into negotiations with you -- i.e. you'll never hear from them in the first place.

I won't photograph a tattoo.  I find them ugly (all of them), distracting, vain, & stupid.

THAT was pretty violent.

And you're right, a photographer wouldn't contact me in the first place. But every photographer who has contacted me that did NOT know that I had tattoos has not been turned off by it, that's what I meant

Aug 30 06 01:19 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Vain how?  Just curious, I know it's a little off topic.

Aug 30 06 01:22 pm Link

Model

TheStitchWitch

Needville, Texas, US

I saw it too and her tattoo was very small and by her own statement, she could just cover it up with her hair. She and the other three models she was with all looked pretty much the same so I can see where she would want to stand out every once in a while. A well thought out and professionaly done tattoo is beautiful. While not everyone likes them or wants to photograph them, I think they rock!

Aug 30 06 01:22 pm Link

Model

Madalyn

Burlington, Vermont, US

yeah I was just wondering if some tattoos are okay, bc yeah its been a big topic on here and a lot of Tattoo bashing, and it annoyed me the chick got that tattoo, bc it was "cutesy" and her "trademark" Sorry, that just bothers me, I get tattoos for emotional reasons...but maybe Im the crazy one....

Aug 30 06 04:40 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

lol I saw it too.  looked like they just wanted a reason to be seen on TV  in thier bikinis.  not a tattoo issue.  Just a silly TV blah.

Aug 30 06 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

It's called Freedom of Expression. Do what you want and don't worry about what other people think... unless they're your parole officer.

Aug 30 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

It depends, I did a shoot with Shelley (check my port for a red head) and she has tattoos all over.  But they fit what we were shooting.

For the beach which I mostly work at...the reception I get from my fans are usually, "Hey, great shots, too bad about the tattoos"

That doesn't stop me though.  I certainly do not mind them and I have never edited them out...well...i did once, but that was because she said she hated that particular tattoo...it was TOO much work though so I only did it that one time.  Anyhow...not only do I not mind them, but I try to make them look better!  I do this simply by using the burn tool in Photoshop.  This helps darken and add contrast to the tat so it stands out more.  I figure, you paid money to get it and you want to show it off, I'll help smile

Aug 30 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

StevesPhotography

Mustang, Oklahoma, US

I dont have anything personally against tattoos and once considered them an interesting adornment.
But now they have become so very, very common that a model with tats in getting to be the normal look.
Awhile ago I had a bit of an epiphany on the subject. I was looking at a nude of a really beautiful young model and was trying to figure out why she struck me so strongly. Then I realized what it was: No tattoos, no big dangling belly ornament, no visible piercing at all.
She was utterly natural and now a days that made her really stand out.
There definitely are some models here who have tats that are truly works of art and mesh in a really excellent way with their over all look. Clearly great thought and planning went into their ink.
But I have to say most of the tats I see on models are tedious, picked out of the book, "me to" tattoos that were simply chosen to take part in todays tattoo fad.

Aug 30 06 06:02 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

MMDesign wrote:
It's called Freedom of Expression. Do what you want and don't worry about what other people think... unless they're your parole officer.

Or unless they ask you what you think.

Aug 30 06 06:07 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

I am not usually very opinionated, but I'd have to agree on this one. In fact I'd add that they are not just tasteless, the are a bad taste - again, that's according to MY bad taste.

Aug 30 06 06:09 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

Some photographers mind,and then there are the ones that don't. What I did one time is I went to a bridal store and they carry tattoo cover up that actually works good if you pay attention to detail and take the time applying the makeup.I've only had to use it once,but other than that the photographer just photoshopped it out or I wore something that covered.I do alternative modeling though so really it's not a problem for me.

Aug 30 06 06:11 pm Link

Model

Miss Lindsay Sass

Albany, New York, US

I have 4 tattoos and they do not hinder my work. I work with Paul from Bang Bang Photo (above). And as you can see in my pictures, you don't see much of them. So far, I have had no problem with photographers not wanting to shoot them, they just are not really seen that easily. I don't know how she would think that a tattoo on the back of her neck would get shown that often seeing as though I have a pretty large one on one of my calves and that doesn't even show much. smile Just putting in my opinion!

Aug 30 06 06:27 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Wow... so me commemorating my mom having survived cancer twice is vain... Thanks... for clearing that up for me!!!

Aug 30 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Kismet Filmworks

Bowie, Maryland, US

A lot of models have tats.  It's my feeling that a tat can mess up the look of a image if it's out of context. However, that's why God created created make-up.

Aug 30 06 06:40 pm Link

Model

Madalyn

Burlington, Vermont, US

Kismet Filmworks wrote:
A lot of models have tats.  It's my feeling that a tat can mess up the look of a image if it's out of context. However, that's why God created created make-up.

*nods*mmmhmmm

Aug 31 06 05:59 am Link

Photographer

Keith Goodman

Sarasota, Florida, US

Ink places a date on any image. If timelessness is a goal, it gets in the way, and screams 21st century fad/fashion.

--Keith

Aug 31 06 06:35 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Cant wait till they all turn 90 and have that fish that now looks like a squid on valium. Its gonna be great to watch um in the stors and the old age homes though.

Aug 31 06 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

keithg wrote:
Ink places a date on any image. If timelessness is a goal, it gets in the way, and screams 21st century fad/fashion.

--Keith

Given the centuries that tattooing has been around and popular, across a wide range of diverse cultures, don't you think that theory is difficult to support?

Aug 31 06 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Keith Goodman

Sarasota, Florida, US

Point well made. I only mean to suggest it dates the image not the personal style. Western art of the past failed to record the tats of the time. 

I guess photojournalistically to fail to record now is to turn a blind eye to something that has been there all along. 

Utimately boils down to preference and the style you want to shoot.  Long live our diversity.

Aug 31 06 07:19 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

bang bang photo wrote:

Given the centuries that tattooing has been around and popular, across a wide range of diverse cultures, don't you think that theory is difficult to support?

I dunno mine have nothing to do with fad or fashion in the least....the Maiori people  have been doing them for god knows how long as well as the Japanese and Chinese ....then there is the case of the ice man with tattoos...

I suppose it depends more on the style of tattoo and colors used, if you want to get technical it depends on the needle configuration used as well and of course the design ... my tattoos looked 60 years old when I got them and thats exactly how I wanted them. My friend gets his with a stick and a hammer over seas ... doesn,t look to fad or fashion to me....

On another note Mehron makes an excellent tattoo cover...that works well under all types of light...

Aug 31 06 07:19 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

for those of you who think that tattoos are tasteless, I think you and your face are tasteless. but that's just my tasteless opinion.

Aug 31 06 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Ken Rieves Photography

Avon Lake, Ohio, US

I think tatoos are Ok, depending on the purpose of the shoot. Yesterday I shot some photos for a recording studio. The model chosen by the owner was a very pretty, wholesome blonde. When most people think of musicians, they think tatoos, piercings, grunge, etc. The owner wanted to appeal to a more mainstream audience.

If the shoot was to promote an urban/hip-hop line of clothing, perhaps a model with tatoos would be appropriate.

If you are shooting for you own portfolio, then it depends on what you are trying to say about your work. Are you specializing in a particular area of photography? Are you trying to show diversity?

From a models view point, if you are thinking of getting a tatoo, you have to realise that it could limit the work you get. Based on the subject of the tatoo and it's placement, it could prevent you from getting an assignment.

Aug 31 06 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I dislike tattoos but I photographed a model with 10 tattoos after I met met her.  Before I met her I had reservations about photographing her.  She was a great model.

Aug 31 06 09:14 am Link

Model

Jennifer Dyanne

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

I have one fairly small tattoo in a ver easily-concealed spot...some small stars on my left hip. I did it because I wanted to, thought about it for a long time, drew out my design and waited almost 2 years before I got it done. If someone doesn't like it, I won't be offended, but there's no way anyone would know it were there unless I chose to disclose the info.

Aug 31 06 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Lightwave Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

What I noticed is so many of these aspiring models get the same tattoo design, usually a butterfly on the lowerback or stars and almost always poorly done.

In theory, I think a tattoo might be ok on a model if it was original, creative and well done.  I have rarely seen this to be the case though, usually the same old same old designs that look really bad.

Aug 31 06 09:36 am Link

Model

Madalyn

Burlington, Vermont, US

Lightwave Photography wrote:
What I noticed is so many of these aspiring models get the same tattoo design, usually a butterfly on the lowerback or stars and almost always poorly done.

In theory, I think a tattoo might be ok on a model if it was original, creative and well done.  I have rarely seen this to be the case though, usually the same old same old designs that look really bad.

Yeah hence why I try to break away from the really lame cliche tattoos

Aug 31 06 10:04 am Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I think it's funny that this thread became about tattoos,  and people opinions, once again.  All because some chickie in a bikini wanted to be on Miami ink with her friends.  You don't have to defend your  tattoos,  and you don't have to defend the reasons you like or dislike them.  You just have to bake me brownies, and mail them to my house in a sealed container, so they don't get stale.  (please put the frosting in a seperate container.)

Aug 31 06 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

I love to see people so open minded as yourself. I mean lumping all tattoos into  the "ugly" category, I mean thats genius. I know I have seen people often complain about the artistic merits of nudes and all but bravo... you have REALLY  hit the nail with the hammer, way to support art This is one of the finest posts I have ever read.

*starts slow clap*

Aug 31 06 10:25 am Link

Model

Ami S

Maysville, Georgia, US

Lightwave Photography wrote:

This is the reason I waited until I found someone who could design one for me... one that suited me and was sized to look as if it belonged.

I love mine it is a part of me more than just something drawn on me.

Aug 31 06 10:31 am Link