Forums > General Industry > Okay I know this already exahusted But...

Model

Madalyn

Burlington, Vermont, US

...Stacy wrote:
I think it's funny that this thread became about tattoos,  and people opinions, once again.  All because some chickie in a bikini wanted to be on Miami ink with her friends.  You don't have to defend your  tattoos,  and you don't have to defend the reasons you like or dislike them.  You just have to bake me brownies, and mail them to my house in a sealed container, so they don't get stale.  (please put the frosting in a seperate container.)

Well if I was a halfway decent cook I would send you brownies haha

Aug 31 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Think about it this way:

One small tattoo on the back of the neck is never going to HELP you get a job.

As a photographer, I'd either want to shoot a model with her entire body covered in gorgeous tattoos, or no tattoos at all.

A little star on the back of the neck, or some flowers on the lower back, just means that we either have to be creative about how to cover up your tattoos, or I give the job to the next model in line. If you get a tattoo, you'll never be able to get the jobs that specifically state "NO TATTOOS."

But if you don't care - go ahead.

Sep 01 06 05:02 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Umm, chances are, the photographers who won't work with you because of your tattoos won't even enter into negotiations with you -- i.e. you'll never hear from them in the first place.

I won't photograph a tattoo.  I find them ugly (all of them), distracting, vain, & stupid.

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
THAT was pretty violent.

And you're right, a photographer wouldn't contact me in the first place. But every photographer who has contacted me that did NOT know that I had tattoos has not been turned off by it, that's what I meant

Wasn't meant to be "violent".  I'm just saying that if I see a model with a tattoo, I won't even bother to contact her.  If a model I hire shows up & reveals a tattoo, I find ways to position her so that the tattoo is not visible.  If the tattoo is on a body part that I want to photograph, I send her home.

My point -- you just don't know about the opportunities that are lost because people who feel like I do don't go around & tell models "gee, I would have loved to work with you, but I won't because you have skin stains."

Sep 01 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I won't photograph a tattoo.  I find them ugly (all of them), distracting, vain, & stupid.

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
Vain how?  Just curious, I know it's a little off topic.

Vain, because they are ornamentation meant to be a statement for people (either everyone or selected individuals) to see.  People who get tattoos seems to feel that the skin stains enhance their status and their "coolness".  Despite claims of substance, tattoos are, by definition, only skin deep.

Sep 01 06 10:22 am Link

Model

luv2bfitt

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Personally, I don't care for tats at all. 1 or 2 discrete ones are ok, but these people who have large areas of their body covered just isn't attractive (To me...)
   I kind of look at it like graffiti on a building: No matter how beautiful the work of art is, that's just not the place to display it....

Another thread on the topic of Tats:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=42839

Sep 01 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Umm, chances are, the photographers who won't work with you because of your tattoos won't even enter into negotiations with you -- i.e. you'll never hear from them in the first place.

Lamonica wrote:
Wow... so me commemorating my mom having survived cancer twice is vain... Thanks... for clearing that up for me!!!

So, why must you inform everyone who sees you that your mother is a survivor?

So, every photograph of you must, by definition, therefore commemorate your mother's survival, regardless of the photographer's vision for the image?

Did she survive breast cancer?  If so, why not lop of your own breasts to commomorate her survival?  As far as I'm concerned, tattoos are self-multilation.

Look -- I didn't say that people should not get tattoos -- people can do whatever they want to their own bodies.  I'm just saying that I won't photograph them.  I find them ugly and distracting.  They have no place in my photography.  Stain your skin from head to toe, for all I care; just don't expect every photographer in the world to line up for the opportunity to copy your tattoo artist's work.

Sep 01 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

DigitalSwede wrote:
I love to see people so open minded as yourself. I mean lumping all tattoos into  the "ugly" category, I mean thats genius. I know I have seen people often complain about the artistic merits of nudes and all but bravo... you have REALLY  hit the nail with the hammer, way to support art This is one of the finest posts I have ever read.

*starts slow clap*

Good imitation of a clever person.  You almost sound clever yourself.

Why should an artist, trying to make an artistic statement, be open minded & politically correct?  If a tattoo is art, isn't photographing a tattoo a form of plagarism?

Sorry, I've seen more than my fill of tattoos, and they have several things in common:
   >>>  The details are often not razor sharp.
   >>>  They fade over time.
   >>>  The color palate is limited.
   >>>  Most are poorly executed.
   >>>  They warp as the wearer's body changes.
   >>>  Their style & subject matter often are cliche'.
   >>>  They eventually go out of style.
   >>>  They distract the eye from the pure human form.
   >>>  They are often worn by people who can't settle on a hair color.

Sep 01 06 10:36 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Wasn't meant to be "violent".

That was violent. Just by saying "I don't like tattoos" would have been enough but you had to go on and say that they are ugly, vain, stupid, etc.

Everything and everyone is stupid, vain, ugly, in some way shape or form. People sculpt their bodies with muscle in vanity. People style their hair a certain way or color it a certain way in vanity. People paint their nails in vanity. People choose their clothes in vanity. And all of this beauty/ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

Sep 01 06 10:42 am Link

Model

Saedcantas

Saint Saviour, Saint Saviour, United Kingdom

I am told I am a rarity in the alt world in that I have no piercings or tattoos, nor a desire for any ever.

I, like looksee, regard them as self mutilation. I dont need marks or holes made in myself to commemorate occaisions, proove emotions or demonstrate who I am, we have brains and voices to do all of that instead wink

That said I would work with other models who are tattooed quite happily and may photograph them myself in the correct context. As much as I can look at some tattoos and say they are a nice design, to me getting a tattoo is just about the least creative, least imaginative and unattractive thing a person could choose to do right now.

Sep 01 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

I, personally think there are better ways to honor people or document your life etc...but that's me.  My best friend has two for her husband that passed.  As a photographer, I don't like them, don't want to work around them, waste time covering them with photoshop or makeup and find them sort of dirty looking.  Again, that's just me.  A lot of people find them very sexy.  I do mostly commercial work so they don't work well with my types of jobs.

Sep 01 06 11:11 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Saedcantas wrote:
That said I would work with other models who are tattooed quite happily and may photograph them myself in the correct context. As much as I can look at some tattoos and say they are a nice design, to me getting a tattoo is just about the least creative, least imaginative and unattractive thing a person could choose to do right now.

who is to say that a person gets a tattoo be to creative, imaginative, or attractive? In many pictures in my port you cannot even tell I have tattoos OR piercings. Yet I have 17 piercings and over $1500 in tattoos. I didn't get them to be creative. I didn't get them to be imaginative. And I sure as hell wouldn't have gotten them if I didn't find them attractive. What is attractive to one person is beauty to another (so of course I know you are just expressing your opinion)

I just don't appreciate everyone (including looknsee) automatically "labeling" people who get tattoos (maybe not the people, but at least the tattoos themselves) as ugly, vain, uncreative, unattractive, and so forth.

If you want "uncreativity" or "unimaginative" tattoos you look to the people getting tattoos that everyone else is getting "just to have one". tribal crap on the arm. over done. star/butterfly on the hip or ankle. over done. tribal on the lower back. over done. I'm not criticizing those tattoos I'm just saying that they aren't creative or imaginative. those are fad tattoos.

Sep 01 06 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Speaking of fad tattoos, I've enjoyed reading about the increasing popularity of tattoo removal. Seems a lot of people getting Chinese characters tattooed on their bodies didn't know what the characters really meant, and sometimes they read something like, "stupid white boy."

If you're gonna get a tat, you ought to know what you're getting.

And Jess is right, you don't need to know she has them at all, though the stars on her shoulders are visible with a lot of clothes. I kinda like how her tats are just slightly visible through sheer clothing.

Sep 01 06 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Wasn't meant to be "violent".

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
That was violent. Just by saying "I don't like tattoos" would have been enough but you had to go on and say that they are ugly, vain, stupid, etc.

Everything and everyone is stupid, vain, ugly, in some way shape or form. People sculpt their bodies with muscle in vanity. People style their hair a certain way or color it a certain way in vanity. People paint their nails in vanity. People choose their clothes in vanity. And all of this beauty/ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

Hey, I don't confuse opinions with facts.  Yes, it is my opinion that tattos are ugly, distracting, vain, & stupid.

It is not clear, from your second paragraph:  do you agree with me?  You seem to say that body building, hair styles, nail painting, fashion, etc. are all potentially acts of vanity.  I agree to that.  Add to your list tattoos, and I agree to that, too.

Sep 01 06 12:52 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

It is not clear, from your second paragraph:  do you agree with me?  You seem to say that body building, hair styles, nail painting, fashion, etc. are all potentially acts of vanity.  I agree to that.  Add to your list tattoos, and I agree to that, too.

what I meant was that I don't think that "tattoos are vain" is a valid reason for disliking them because everything we do is vain.

Sep 01 06 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
who is to say that a person gets a tattoo be to creative, imaginative, or attractive? In many pictures in my port you cannot even tell I have tattoos OR piercings. Yet I have 17 piercings and over $1500 in tattoos. I didn't get them to be creative. I didn't get them to be imaginative. And I sure as hell wouldn't have gotten them if I didn't find them attractive. What is attractive to one person is beauty to another (so of course I know you are just expressing your opinion)

I just don't appreciate everyone (including looknsee) automatically "labeling" people who get tattoos (maybe not the people, but at least the tattoos themselves) as ugly, vain, uncreative, unattractive, and so forth.

If you want "uncreativity" or "unimaginative" tattoos you look to the people getting tattoos that everyone else is getting "just to have one". tribal crap on the arm. over done. star/butterfly on the hip or ankle. over done. tribal on the lower back. over done. I'm not criticizing those tattoos I'm just saying that they aren't creative or imaginative. those are fad tattoos.

For the record, I never said that tattoos were uncreative, and I've always stated that it is my opinion only that they are ugly, vain, etc. 

We are not discussing personal choices here -- we are discussing the suitability of a tattooed model for photography.  It is my statement that I won't photograph a tattoo, and there are tons of successful & wonderful models who will never hear from me because they have a tattoo on a body part that I would want to photograph. 

You might have your reasons for getting stained.  Unless you are a personal friend of mine, those reasons are irrelevant.  You may think your tattoo is making a personal statement, while I may think that you are just trying to buy your way into the cool kid's table.  It doesn't matter.

Sep 01 06 01:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MAGIC FX

New York, New York, US

If you have a good make up  artist  the fact that you have tatoos or don't have any is not an issue.

Sep 01 06 01:03 pm Link

Model

Saedcantas

Saint Saviour, Saint Saviour, United Kingdom

Jessalyn, step back a second chick smile

The opinions voiced in this topic arent about you or your tattoos, I understand how you'd like to defend against peoples opinions that you disagree with but try not to take it too seriously or end up feeling like we're all digging at your tats in particular smile

All I did was state my opinion on what tattoos mean to me as a model and a photographer, nothing more!

And anyway as they always say, opinions are like assholes, we all have one and I understand if you dont really want me showing you it haha!

Sep 01 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
what I meant was that I don't think that "tattoos are vain" is a valid reason for disliking them because everything we do is vain.

That's more clear.  Thanks.

Sep 01 06 01:05 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

For the record, I never said that tattoos were uncreative, and I've always stated that it is my opinion only that they are ugly, vain, etc.

you're right, you didn't say that, I was quoting Saedcantas

Sep 01 06 01:07 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Saedcantas wrote:
The opinions voiced in this topic arent about you or your tattoos, I understand how you'd like to defend against peoples opinions that you disagree with but try not to take it too seriously or end up feeling like we're all digging at your tats in particular smile

but they ARE about tattoos smile

yes, there are some in this thread that are saying how this relates to photographing tattoos but then they throw in "personally I think it's a shitty life decision and here's why" so by everyone throwing in that part to their post then it does turn it into a thread about tattoos (yes, not MY tattoos in particular that's why I have only reference mine a few times just as an example)

Sep 01 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

It's like anything else -- braces, long hair, short hair, tall, short, busty, flat-chested, etc.

You either work with it, work around it, or don't shoot with that person.

I prefer to work with it. I don't make blanket statements about what type I prefer to shoot with, because I decide on a case by case basis. I would have missed out on some fun shoots if I turned people down for arbitrary reasons.

Sep 01 06 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
but they ARE about tattoos smile

yes, there are some in this thread that are saying how this relates to photographing tattoos but then they throw in "personally I think it's a shitty life decision and here's why" so by everyone throwing in that part to their post then it does turn it into a thread about tattoos (yes, not MY tattoos in particular that's why I have only reference mine a few times just as an example)

Sorry, but we won't all always agree with your rationale for the things you do.

Take smoking cigarettes, for example, especially 'way back in the 70's & 80's, before the anti-smoking campaigns got traction.  Smoking was (and is) a fad.  You may think that smoking makes you look cool, but I don't.  And yes, I can formulate an opinion (not necessarily a definitive opinion, but an opinion) about a person simply by knowing that they smoke.

I think tattooing is a fad, a fashion.  Like smoking, it has quite a bit of traction, but like smoking, it will eventually become more & more unacceptable. 

Can I be friends with a person who has a tattoo?  Yes, indeed.  Already am.
Will I photograph a tattoo?  Never again.
Will I cover a tattoo with makeup or photoshop it out of my image?  Not my style.

If you are a model & you believe that having a tattoo will not impact your appeal as a model, I'd say you are deluded.  The trick, however, is that normally, photographers won't go to the effort of contacting you to tell you that they don't want to work with you.

Sep 01 06 05:08 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Sorry, but we won't all always agree with your rationale for the things you do.

Take smoking cigarettes, for example, especially 'way back in the 70's & 80's, before the anti-smoking campaigns got traction.  Smoking was (and is) a fad.  You may think that smoking makes you look cool, but I don't.  And yes, I can formulate an opinion (not necessarily a definitive opinion, but an opinion) about a person simply by knowing that they smoke.

I think tattooing is a fad, a fashion.  Like smoking, it has quite a bit of traction, but like smoking, it will eventually become more & more unacceptable. 

Can I be friends with a person who has a tattoo?  Yes, indeed.  Already am.
Will I photograph a tattoo?  Never again.
Will I cover a tattoo with makeup or photoshop it out of my image?  Not my style.

If you are a model & you believe that having a tattoo will not impact your appeal as a model, I'd say you are deluded.  The trick, however, is that normally, photographers won't go to the effort of contacting you to tell you that they don't want to work with you.

I'm really not sure why you quoted me because you different reference anything in my quote....

but anyways tattoos are not a fad, they have been around for thousands of years and will continue to be around for thousands of years.

and I never said to myself "hm....I want to get a tattoo because it will help me model". I've had these tattoos longer than I have been modeling: they are the a one reason that many photographers have approached me.

Sep 01 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Los Angeles, California, US

OK, here it goes on record:

I HATE tatoos - period.  Anybody, anywhere - male or female - especially female.

I specifically hate them on models because I end up spending half my life photoshopping them out.

Same with piercings except ears and belly button.

-Glenn

Sep 01 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

If a tattoo is art, isn't photographing a tattoo a form of plagarism?

If you think the female form is a work of art is not photographing that a form of plagarism? If you shoot it in a creative fashion it will be an alteration or something totally different than the tatoo itself. Also, since you wont photograph a tattooed model chances are you won't be focusing on shooting her tats anyways.

Sorry, I've seen more than my fill of tattoos, and they have several things in common:

If you arent focusing on the tattoo and you know how to use DOF then  more than likely you won't want the details to be razor sharp, and if they are and you want to shoot a tatoo then even better.

>>>  They fade over time..

Which  can work for or against you, some tattoos in my opinion look better after having been nonretouched for many years. Sometimes, its even is a historical marker. ( think tattoos that the Nazis gave out during the Holocaust) Also, some people actually do  go and get their ink revamped from time to time too.

>>>  The color palate is limited.

All color palletes are limited... Also, sepiatone will still work smile   dont worry.

I'd like to see your vast resume on tattoo knowledge.

>>>  They warp as the wearer's body changes.

Once again the warp can work for or against you. If you are primarily shooting beauty or glamour I could see it as being a deal breaker, but think about the endless limitations with  using those warped images.

There is a lot of similar stuff out there, but there are also some that are amazingly custom made for the individual as well.

>>>  They eventually go out of style..

Right... thats why they are more popular than ever before.

I guess it would depend on whos eye you are talking about beacause as Ive seen here and many other places a photographer's eye can make them very unique.

And?  Im seriously  hoping there was more to this.

Also, a lot of people color their hair as far as the masses go in our society... I mean to think... a model altering her appearance. Oh my!

Also, no a photographer doesnt need to be PC... hell Im even up for pushing the envelope when it comes to that subject. But I would seriously like to know your qualifications for being able to  determine the "common" things in tattoos as an artform. Resume please? I am in no way suggesting you have to shoot tattooed models just merely point out how rash your generalizations are.

Sep 01 06 06:55 pm Link

Model

BrodieB

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

THankyou Jessalyn for pointing me towards this topic..................don't worry babe, I will back you up in what you say..............

I'm glad to see that judgment day is alive an well all over the place.

I am just stunned in some peoples belief that their opinion is so freakin important that they belive they have the right to put someone else down while making it.

It is no different than someone saying, "I would much rather photgraph a Tattooed model than one without, because untattooed models are a dime a dozen they are all just empty heads and pretty faces with not much else going on except they can smile prettily for the camera"

I get my work because I am tattooed, thats what i do, that is my calling card so to speak.

Just because we are in the forum area makes it no different to me going into the peoples portfolios that have out down tattoos and putting their work down. Which I wouldnt do and I wouldnt do it here either, maybe you lot are a bit to over confident or something...... Those who have put Tats down here..... would you go into my portfolio and actively tag negative comments to it?  WELL WHY NOT. It is no different to you putting me down here. Embrace the world and the different people in it you narrow minded people!

I saw the quote tattoos are VAIN and DISGUSTING, well someone who thinks so much of their own opinion that they would voice it so loudly is VAIN and DISGUSTING in some peoples eyes too.

There are always one or two who cannot accept differences in the world and embrace them.

I hope you never have children who get tattoos behind your back, how terrible that you will have to tell people that your kids are VAIN and DISGUSTING and how that they will shame you for the rest of your lives! Oh and dont forget you will never be able to photograph them again, or been seen near them........

Dear Oh me, the self importance some people have.........

Sep 01 06 07:02 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Vain, because they are ornamentation meant to be a statement for people (either everyone or selected individuals) to see.  People who get tattoos seems to feel that the skin stains enhance their status and their "coolness".  Despite claims of substance, tattoos are, by definition, only skin deep.

You cannot see my tattoos unless I am naked.  I did not get them for you to see.  I did not get them for anyone to see and think I was "cool".  I can prove that in other ways, and I did for 20 years before I had my first.  "Man" has been permanently marking their skin since they figured out how.  You don't have to like them, or photograph them, but don't be one of those people who is fooled by the obnoxious teeny boppers who get little cliches to fit in.

Sep 01 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

If a tattoo is art, isn't photographing a tattoo a form of plagarism?

DigitalSwede wrote:
If you think the female form is a work of art is not photographing that a form of plagarism?

I don't think the female form is a work of art.  However, a recording of the female form can be a work of art.

DigitalSwede wrote:
If you arent focusing on the tattoo and you know how to use DOF then  more than likely you won't want the details to be razor sharp, and if they are and you want to shoot a tatoo then even better.

I typically want sharp skin details without blemishes or stains or other distractions.

DigitalSwede wrote:
I'd like to see your vast resume on tattoo knowledge.

What would be the point of that?  Do you think I am unqualified to formulate my opinion that tattoos are ugly & not worth my time to photograph them?

DigitalSwede wrote:
There is a lot of similar stuff out there, but there are also some that are amazingly custom made for the individual as well.

I attempt to make fine art photography.  How can I make a fine art photograph if my "canvas" is already signed by another artist?

DigitalSwede wrote:
Right... thats why they are more popular than ever before.

Ah... that's sarcasm, right?  So, what, exactly, is your point?  Let me ask you this:  can you name something that was fashionable 30 years ago that is still fashionable today?

DigitalSwede wrote:
I guess it would depend on whos eye you are talking about beacause as Ive seen here and many other places a photographer's eye can make them very unique.

How unique can a photographer's eye be if his photographs feature the work of another (tattoo) artist?  The only "eye" I'm talking about is mine -- I make my photographs for me, and if anyone else enjoys my images, well, that's a bonus.

DigitalSwede wrote:
And?  Im seriously  hoping there was more to this.

They are more permanent than the tastes of the people who get them.

DigitalSwede wrote:
Also, no a photographer doesnt need to be PC... hell Im even up for pushing the envelope when it comes to that subject. But I would seriously like to know your qualifications for being able to  determine the "common" things in tattoos as an artform. Resume please? I am in no way suggesting you have to shoot tattooed models just merely point out how rash your generalizations are.

Again, there is no point to this direction.  Since I haven't made any generalizations, they can't be rash (or valid, for that matter).  When I say that tattoos are ugly, vain, poorly executed, etc. -- those are opinions, not generalizations, and I don't need a resume for that, do I?

Sep 02 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

BrodieB wrote:
I am just stunned in some peoples belief that their opinion is so freakin important that they belive they have the right to put someone else down while making it.

I snipped most of your post.  It sounds defensive to me.

First, this is a forum.  People (especially the original poster) asked for the opinions of others, and those opinions were provided.  We didn't jump on the soap box & shout our opinions out to the world -- we were invited.

Some opinions differ from others -- just because two people disagree, that doesn't mean that anyone is putting someone else down.

Sep 02 06 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
You cannot see my tattoos unless I am naked.  I did not get them for you to see.  I did not get them for anyone to see and think I was "cool".  I can prove that in other ways, and I did for 20 years before I had my first.  "Man" has been permanently marking their skin since they figured out how.  You don't have to like them, or photograph them, but don't be one of those people who is fooled by the obnoxious teeny boppers who get little cliches to fit in.

Perhaps I should clarify.  I primarily make fine art nude photographs.  Thus, tattoos on any visible body parts are of significant interest to me, because most of the time, the models I photograph are uncovered.

While "man" has been marking their skin for a long time, it has only become fashionable here in Western civilizations (like the USA) for the past couple of decades.  Who was getting stained in the 70s or 80s?  Back then, only soldiers & motorcycle enthusiasts were getting tattoos, and certainly very few women were getting them.

You may think that your tattoos are unique & personal; I may think that they are fads & fashionable.  We are drifting from the main point -- having a tattoo will impact a model's appeal, and the model is likely not to hear about jobs that she won't get because of her skin stains.

Sep 02 06 10:11 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hello , My tattooed lifestyle began in 1985...I was niether a biker or a sailor , i was a tattoo enthusiast...i had found the art form fascinating since the age of 4...
If some one does not want me in their art because of my tattoos and can't seem to work around them via make up or photoshop , chances are , I dont want to work with them either ...

I do see your point and understand .. but us tattoed people  that have not done it as a "fad" really dont care whether people with out tattoos like us or not or "use" us or not , in any feild ....
I still draw and have my tattoo equiptment from when I did them for a living  so whether or not I model for the rest of my life ( which not many people do ) ... I will still always have a job..  My job constantly consisted of making beautiful and unique images or designs for each individual  that fit with a persons body life style and spritual growth ... for an aspiring  glamour swimsuit model or the like yes it is not suggested to get your boyfreinds name smeared all over you ass in needles but, i mean really ...there are several fine art photographers  several virgin flesh people and several places for tattoed people so i don't see what it matters.smile

Some body calling some one elses art a fad or a trend or something less than sacred... well that is what is closed minded... if someone calls something or some one ugly , and cant accept the fact that the loose and  close minded use of the term will make them seem ugly as well...well then that said person has much to learn about life...... keeep doing your art ... we will keep doing ours...

For those who argue that a tattoo is not art ... look up Guy Aitchison for starters....

Not every one even cares to be "highbrow" there is much art and opportunities(and money) made in the underculture and lowbrow world ...
for those questioning ... if you are worried about not getting a job because of body art... well then dont get one ... tattoo enthusiasts who spend much time ,thought and money on their body art really wont care...and the reasons for getting tattoos are on a completely different,deeper spiritual level.

Sep 02 06 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

The dictionary defines "Fad" as follows:
a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., esp. one followed enthusiastically by a group.

A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.

So, until tattooing survives a generation or two, it is by definition a fad.  Sorry.  Like I said, tattoos were rare a few decades ago, and unless it remains popular a few decades from now, it will be a fad.  Do you disagree?  Do you believe that tattoos were as popular 20-30 years agao as they are today? 

I will also observe that this "fad" doesn't span all ages & social groups.  Tattoos are a prevalent component of the so-called "youth culture".  Similar things can be said for the current "fad" of body piercings -- while ear rings have been around for a long time, piercing other body parts (e.g. navel, nipple, eyebrow, lip, nose, etc.) is still a fad.  These will evolve beyond "fad" state when our grandchildren are as enthusiastic about it as we are.

I still maintain that every tattoo I have ever seen is ugly.  That doesn't make me close minded -- that makes me opinionated.  In order to be open minded, am I required to agree with everyone's point of view?  By your definition, are all people who are capable of independent and/or unconventional thought close minded?  Isn't a vital part of being an artist the ability to perceive the world in new terms & not necessarily the same way the masses perceive the world?

Finally, the primary issue being discussed here is the suitability of a tattooed model for photography.  I really don't care whether individuals choose to stain their skin, and I am uninterested in what they think the meaning of their choice is.  My point here is that having tattoos has an impact on a model's suitability in many photographic opportunities.

Sep 02 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Madalyn wrote:

...Stacy wrote:
I think it's funny that this thread became about tattoos,  and people opinions, once again.  All because some chickie in a bikini wanted to be on Miami ink with her friends.  You don't have to defend your  tattoos,  and you don't have to defend the reasons you like or dislike them.  You just have to bake me brownies, and mail them to my house in a sealed container, so they don't get stale.  (please put the frosting in a seperate container.)

Well if I was a halfway decent cook I would send you brownies haha

I make great brownies (both the magic kind and the more mundane)...

Sep 02 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

I am a big big fan of natural/unadorned beauty and thus generally don't tend to care for tats or other body mods.  However I can and do differentiate between good/tasteful/bad/excessive/etc. body art.

This said, I feel that if the person in question is happy with the permanent art they choose to have on their body, then that's fine with me.

We're all just meat puppets anyway, and my interest in people photography has always been seeking to find and record the authentic inner spiritual essenses that are the foundations of true beauty. 

Oh, and I'd shoot Envy any day.

Sep 02 06 12:21 pm Link

Model

Madalyn

Burlington, Vermont, US

Glenn Francis wrote:
OK, here it goes on record:

I HATE tatoos - period.  Anybody, anywhere - male or female - especially female.

I specifically hate them on models because I end up spending half my life photoshopping them out.

Same with piercings except ears and belly button.

-Glenn

THANK YOU!!! Atleast some one is BLUNT and just not  bitching for the fact of bitching

Sep 02 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

To the question of having a tattoo as a ''signature"....

It doesn't matter what the tattoo is, that is going to make the model less desirable, not more.

The photographer and model are going to be a little at odds when it comes to this sort of thing.

A photographer is going to want each of their images to be unique. Model, clothing, setting, style...they're going to want their image to be unlike any other.  Anything in the image that takes the attention of the viewer and makes them say "oh yeah, I have seen that model in other work before" will distract from that.

Not saying its the end of the world, because its not.  It may very well be helpful to a model but certainly won't be something the photographer is going to think is a value add that the model brings.

Sep 02 06 01:00 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Perhaps I should clarify.  I primarily make fine art nude photographs.  Thus, tattoos on any visible body parts are of significant interest to me, because most of the time, the models I photograph are uncovered.

While "man" has been marking their skin for a long time, it has only become fashionable here in Western civilizations (like the USA) for the past couple of decades.  Who was getting stained in the 70s or 80s?  Back then, only soldiers & motorcycle enthusiasts were getting tattoos, and certainly very few women were getting them.

You may think that your tattoos are unique & personal; I may think that they are fads & fashionable.  We are drifting from the main point -- having a tattoo will impact a model's appeal, and the model is likely not to hear about jobs that she won't get because of her skin stains.

Well then, since I don't do nudes and am never in Oregon, problem solved.  I'll continue to get work, and so will you.  smile

Sep 02 06 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

This is a GENERALIZATION look up the word....

Also, I think in order for one to make a valid  point on the skill level of tattoos needs to have some knowledge of the craft. I mean on a technical level I dont think you can define the "execution" of a field you know nothing about. Lots of people can say things like " Thats an awesome picture." , but does that mean they know a damn thing about the technical craft? I think everyone here can agree they have seen some very non-technical images that were bad as well as a few that worked. So, once again I think you do not have any valid point in saying they are "commonly poorly executed."

Look up the history of tattooing it spreads many, many, many generations ( hundreds and hundreds of years). Another interesting fact is this... every generation they have become more and more popular as well. This is something that I dont think would go along the terms of a "fad" as those usually have very short life spans and tattoos have been around and growing more popular way too strongly.

>>>  Again, there is no point to this direction.  Since I haven't made any generalizations, they can't be rash (or valid, for that matter).  When I say that tattoos are ugly, vain, poorly executed, etc. -- those are opinions, not generalizations, and I don't need a resume for that, do I?

Once again when you state that THEY ALL HAVE SOMETHINGS IN COMMON.... ( insert lines of opinion here) that is a generalization. My you are the clever one smile

Sep 03 06 01:02 am Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Tattoos are fine with me. No tattoos are also fine.... I like variety.

Hell, I like braces, too. One of my friends had kind of a fetish for them.... said it was like a chrome bumper on a sports car.

PS. Nixon Sixx has some very cool tattoos.

Sep 03 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Bottom line: it's what the client wants (an advertising agency or marketing/PR firm). Tats, if not to extensive, can be covered with make-up or photoshopped out with no problem.  I love tats that are true works of art - I just saw one recently on a female model and it was stunning.  I'm sure Nike would agree with my opinion. In the end, the client makes the decision about tats - not the photographer and/or model, unless the photographer is paying for the shoot then he becomes both client and photographer and is certainly free to choose the model he/she wants to shoot based on his/her specific criteria.  If the model is the client (the client is the one paying me to shoot) then the images she or he wants is up to them. 

I believe the reason most photographers don't like to shoot them has already been made clear: it does date the image (as do the long-hair shots of the 80s); the time it takes to do post production work to cover up the tats takes longer; and the the client, more times than not, will not want tats shown in a shoot.  Imagine a VS shots with a model with tats on her body. It's not the image VS is looking for.

Bottom line again: If the paying customer wants tats, then I have no problem shooting them.  Personally, what the customer wants, the customer gets.

Tim

Sep 03 06 03:59 am Link