Forums > General Industry > model or not??

Model

queen of cards

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN INTERESTED IN MODELING BUT MY MOTHER TOOK ME TO AN AGENCY WHEN I WAS REALLY YOUNGE AND THEY SAID I WAS TOO SHORT.THEN ANOTHER SAID I NEED PHOTOS.NOW THAT I HAVE FOUND SOME SIGHTS I HAVE HAD 1 PERSON TELL ME I WASNT GOOD ENOUGH ANOTHER SAID NUDE OR PROMO THEN YOU HAVE ALL THE OTHERS SAY YOU ARE GOING TO GO FAR YOU HAVE A NITCH SO WHAT IS IT HONESTLY?IM NOT TRYING TO BECOME SOME FAMOUS FASHION MODEL BUT IT IS SOMETHING I DO ENJOY AND AM LEARNING TO DO AM I MAKING AN ASS OUT OF MYSELF?

Aug 30 06 05:57 am Link

Photographer

Alexis_Kennedy

Portland, Oregon, US

If you want to be a model here are some hints that should help:

1 - Don't type e-mails or forum posts in all caps.  It's annoying, and most people will just delete your messages and ignore you all together.

2 - Don't listen to what other people tell you (except for the all caps thing...listen to that).  The best models in the world are good because they are individuals and can think for themselves.  Do what you want to do and stick to it.  Have fun with it, and try to learn from the experience.

Aug 30 06 06:00 am Link

Model

queen of cards

Andrew Kaiser wrote:

1 - Don't type e-mails or forum posts in all caps.  It's annoying, and most people will just delete your messages and ignore you all together.

2 - Don't listen to what other people tell you (except for the all caps thing...listen to that).  The best models in the world are good because they are individuals and can think for themselves.  Do what you want to do and stick to it.  Have fun with it, and try to learn from the experience.

Why do people get so pissed off about typing in caps?I don't get it, I'm not a typer so if I try to type the correct way I screw it all up and it takes me forever!lol

Aug 30 06 06:03 am Link

Photographer

Alexis_Kennedy

Portland, Oregon, US

queen of cards wrote:
Why do people get so pissed off about typing in caps?I don't get it, I'm not a typer so if I try to type the correct way I screw it all up and it takes me forever!lol

1. It's hard to read

2. It looks like you're shouting

3. It also looks like you're just being lazy

4. It's just straight up un-professional

Aug 30 06 06:09 am Link

Photographer

Andre Knudsen

REGO PARK, New York, US

Then I suggest starting with a class in communications. Have you ever written a letter or resume or any other type of communications in all caps? If so did you get a response?

Modeling is a whole lot more than just looking pretty.

Aug 30 06 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Lightwave Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Queen

I don't think Andrew was "pissed off" at you.  He was giving you some advice that you asked for on here.

If you want to get paying work and have people take you seriously, it is wise to communicate in an intelligent fashion, watch your spelling("nitch" is spelled NICHE)
and not to answer people in a flippant manner that are just trying to be helpful.

And Queen, I am telling this to help you as you requested and not as a personal affront to you, so a flip answer is not necessary.

Now to your other question, I would recommend you try promotional and swimsuit type modelling as that is something you can get work at in your local area.

You have a nice look and can probably get catalogue, swimsuit, promotional live event work in Chattanooga.

The first thing I would do if I were you, is pay a good pro photographer to do good photos of you and then market yourself with the photos in your city to get work.

As a self employed model in a medium market you have to promote yourself to get work;  people will generally not throw high paying jobs at you if you are just sitting at home watching TV or chatting on the computer.

Aug 30 06 06:13 am Link

Model

queen of cards

Lightwave Photography wrote:
Queen

I don't think Andrew was "pissed off" at you.  He was giving you some advice that you asked for on here.

If you want to get paying work and have people take you seriously, it is wise to communicate in an intelligent fashion, watch your spelling("nitche" is spelled NICHE)
and not to answer people in a flippant manner that are just trying to be helpful.

And Queen, I am telling this to help you as you requested and not as a personal affront to you, so a flip answer is not necessary.

Now to your other question, I would recommend you try promotional and swimsuit type modelling as that is something you can get work at in your local area.

You have a nice look and can probably get catalogue, swimsuit, promotional live event work in Chattanooga.

The firs thing I would do if I were you, is pay a good pro photographer to do good photos of you and then market yourself with the photos in your city to get work.

As a self employed model in a medium market you have to promote yourself to get work;  people will generally not throw high paying jobs at you if you are just sitting at home watching TV or chatting on the computer.

I wasn't referring to Andrew about the pissed off remark Iheard someone else say something about it once before.How do you go about promoting yourself?And thanks for the advice!

Aug 30 06 06:24 am Link

Model

queen of cards

Andre Knudsen wrote:

Then I suggest starting with a class in communications. Have you ever written a letter or resume or any other type of communications in all caps? If so did you get a response?

Modeling is a whole lot more than just looking pretty.

I understand that it's not just about being "pretty" but also this really is not a real formal website either.People use smilies and talks dirty and everything else on here and also Im new to this so I really didn't know that this was such a big issue.

Aug 30 06 06:28 am Link

Model

queen of cards

Andrew Kaiser wrote:

1. It's hard to read

2. It looks like you're shouting

3. It also looks like you're just being lazy

4. It's just straight up un-professional

Thanks I understand now.

Aug 30 06 06:28 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Andrew Kaiser wrote:

why blow smoke? The best models in the world are good because they are individuals and can think for themselves. this is malarky.

at your height your options lie in the alt, art, and playboy type glamour markets. you are too short for fashion and commercial. however, if you're looking to shoot for fun and experience rather than hoping for a career, then feel free to ignore the preceeding. there are always a photog somewhere who wants to shoot.

Aug 30 06 06:32 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

queen of cards wrote:

its considered yelling

Aug 30 06 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Andre Knudsen

REGO PARK, New York, US

queen of cards wrote:

I understand that it's not just about being "pretty" but also this really is not a real formal website either.People use smilies and talks dirty and everything else on here and also Im new to this so I really didn't know that this was such a big issue.

I agree that a lot of what is written here shouldn't be here in the first place. Let's elevate the standards and more will follow. I don't litter because I see someone else do it.

No matter how informal the site might be, there are still several pro shooters, models and MUA's here.

Aug 30 06 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Ed Selby

BALL GROUND, Georgia, US

Kelly,
Read everything on this website -- http://www.johnfisher.com/articlesonmodeling.htm

Aug 30 06 01:09 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

I say dont be so hyper sensitive about modeling or thinking you're just going to die if you dont model.If you want a few great photos to start out with, then save your money and find a good photographer to work with.Get some great outfits, fork out the dough for a hair and makeup artist,know what look you're going for and then with the finished product you'll probably get some tfp/tfcd offers or even some paid work.If modeling doesnt work out for you,then whats the big deal? It's not like it's going to last forever anyways.Dont stress over it! Look at it as a hobby while you focus on a career and if it somehow fits into your life afterwards,then it was just meant to be.If not,then you at least will have the photos to look back on when you're old and grey.

Aug 30 06 01:17 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

queen of cards wrote:

it also says in the forum rules not to use all caps: https://www.modelmayhem.com/rules.php

scroll to the bottom

Aug 30 06 01:24 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

queen of cards wrote:

There's a big difference between being informal and appearing stupid. I'm extremely informal here on MM...I think I've said the word "boobies" about 648 times in the forums...BUT it's not necessarily what you say but how you say it. Spell check is your friend...as is proper punctuation, proper use of the space bar, and taking this place seriously. You can get some kick-ass work here...but the good photographers usually don't bother with a person who types in all caps and can't spell "niche". If you're not a good writer...at least try harder to fake it. It really will help you out...I can't tell you how many people have offered to work with me just because they liked the way my bio was written.

Aug 30 06 01:30 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
There's a big difference between being informal and appearing stupid. I'm extremely informal here on MM...I think I've said the word "boobies" about 648 times in the forums...

wow, boobies 648 times and you've only posted in the forums 629 times! That's impressive! That's more than 1 "boobies" per post

Aug 30 06 01:35 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

wow, boobies 648 times and you've only posted in the forums 629 times! That's impressive! That's more than 1 "boobies" per post

Eh...it's not that impressive...mostly I just go into really obscure threads and go like this:
boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies boobies

See...that's 50 right there :-P

Aug 30 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

queen of cards wrote:

There is lots of junk here. But it doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

If you start to talk like that, you are just more rif-raff like the rest. Be nice and professional. You'll stand out.

Modeling is difficult for most people, and not a simple as it seems. Most will never make it like they "think" they will - great locations, incredible pay, top make-up artists and terrific photographers. Actually when you start out, finding a "decent" photographer can be a pain. Most don't know beans and don't understand how to work in front of a camera (or they think they do, but might look terrible).

You don't have a supermodel look and you don't have the height for a regular agency model. So that means you'll have to try promo or something else. Contrary to most opinions, at 5' 2" you'll have a difficult time at commercial work too. Becareful of the semi-nude stuff in TN, that can eliminate you from some jobs in your area.

Don't look at the average photos here as examples - look at the best work and try to match that.

Aug 30 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Matthew Allen

New York, New York, US

You get my vote for Model!

Aug 30 06 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

Modeling, like photography, is a business - even if you aren't in it for money.  Professional behavior, superior product or service and marketing apply exactly the same way they do in the "real" world.  The return can be more opportunities, respect, money, educational opportunities and satisfaction.  Whatever the motivator or return the principles of success are the same. 

So the question was "should you pursue modeling?"  I can't answer that for you but I may be able to suggest some good questions to ask yourself.

What do you enjoy about modeling?
What do you want to be doing in ten years?
What does a successful model do?

Are you willing to educate yourself about the various markets and avenues that you can explore as a model?  Are you willing to learn?

I think it was the "oldguy" who mentioned that fashion and commercial modeling was out but that you should look toward alt, art and glamour modeling.  He is correct.  There may be other prospects as well but thats the general idea.  Some things will work for you and others will not - wishing won't make it different. 

I encourage you to read http://newmodels.com and then figure out what you want to do.  In the meantime get out and shoot with some local guys.  I have a friend down there who I'm sure would be happy to shoot with you and I'll be down there in November - I'm always up for some recreational shooting.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

Aug 30 06 01:54 pm Link

Model

queen of cards

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

There's a big difference between being informal and appearing stupid. I'm extremely informal here on MM...I think I've said the word "boobies" about 648 times in the forums...BUT it's not necessarily what you say but how you say it. Spell check is your friend...as is proper punctuation, proper use of the space bar, and taking this place seriously. You can get some kick-ass work here...but the good photographers usually don't bother with a person who types in all caps and can't spell "niche". If you're not a good writer...at least try harder to fake it. It really will help you out...I can't tell you how many people have offered to work with me just because they liked the way my bio was written.

That's funny you say that because I have had the same things said to me about my bio also.However I have had a lot of offers because they liked my personality and how I was so laid back.The reason I posted this in the first place was not about my spelling or to argue with people about it, it was to ask professionals about my look and if it is a possibility to become a real model.I kind of think it's funny how this has become such a big issue because I get offers everyday on here and omp and I have worked with a nationally recognized man from this site and he had nothing to say about my caps or spelling.Besides my spelling isn't all that bad and I really don't see why people are tripping because I misspelled one word big deal.

Aug 30 06 07:51 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Aug 30 06 07:55 pm Link

Model

ORachelO

Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada

I don't really know what the exact criteria is for petite models...but maybe you could try that?
also, if you can act, how about getting an agent for acting like for commercials, so it's not the exact same thing as modeling but you get to be in front of a camera, and personally I think you have a great look, pretty but not cookie cutter,

Aug 30 06 08:01 pm Link

Model

Claudia

San Antonio, Texas, US

Model or not??

NOT for me!!:-(
....or so I was told:-( this week by a photographer because I dont do high fashion campaigns, and because I havent worked with High end or name brand designers!!!

but I have worked with some GREAT photographers,and hope to add many more to my portfolio,and like you, I'm not looking to get famous but I love modeling!!(if that's what its called) I love taking pictures and doing promotional work!!;-)it's my passion and hey Im getting paid for it so why not??right??

xoxo,

ClaudiaG

Aug 30 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

You're 5'2, and that severely limits your options.

http://newmodels.com/height.html

Aug 30 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

queen of cards wrote:
That's funny you say that because I have had the same things said to me about my bio also.However I have had a lot of offers because they liked my personality and how I was so laid back.The reason I posted this in the first place was not about my spelling or to argue with people about it, it was to ask professionals about my look and if it is a possibility to become a real model.I kind of think it's funny how this has become such a big issue because I get offers everyday on here and omp and I have worked with a nationally recognized man from this site and he had nothing to say about my caps or spelling.Besides my spelling isn't all that bad and I really don't see why people are tripping because I misspelled one word big deal.

I'm always amazed at those who slap the hands that offer help.

Your bio is about as generic as it can be.  It does not stand out in any way from the hundreds of thousands of other bios here.  If people say that they're booking you because of the personality that shows in your bio, then they are blowing smoke up you behind.

If you are getting offers for paid work and worked with nationally recognized people, then you do not need us to tell you how to do that which you are already doing.  If you were satisfied with the work/offers that you receive, you would never have asked for advice.  I'm inclined to believe that you asked for something and you simply didn't get what you wanted to hear.

That said...

As far as "real modeling" you need to be more specific.  If by "real modeling" you mean bookings from corporate clients for ads etc, then your height is a huge impediment.  If by "real modeling" you mean being in pictures and posing for photographers for whatever reason, then you should have plenty of opportunity for that.  You already said that you get all these offers.  As has been suggested though, you should think of doing this for fun first and if money comes then great. 

In terms of getting work, your look is huge, but it only gets you so far.  Presentation and marketing gets you beyond the place where looks alone will take you.  With that, things you might dismiss such as the concept of not typing in caps... well those are the little things that play a large part in your presentation.  Don't take it lightly.  The people who offer you advice could ignore you altogether without offering anything at all...

Aug 30 06 08:40 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Well if she is getting paid work as she tells us then she must be a model...

*snark*

Aug 30 06 09:03 pm Link

Model

queen of cards

Jay Bowman wrote:

I'm always amazed at those who slap the hands that offer help.

Your bio is about as generic as it can be.  It does not stand out in any way from the hundreds of thousands of other bios here.  If people say that they're booking you because of the personality that shows in your bio, then they are blowing smoke up you behind.

If you are getting offers for paid work and worked with nationally recognized people, then you do not need us to tell you how to do that which you are already doing.  If you were satisfied with the work/offers that you receive, you would never have asked for advice.  I'm inclined to believe that you asked for something and you simply didn't get what you wanted to hear.

That said...

As far as "real modeling" you need to be more specific.  If by "real modeling" you mean bookings from corporate clients for ads etc, then your height is a huge impediment.  If by "real modeling" you mean being in pictures and posing for photographers for whatever reason, then you should have plenty of opportunity for that.  You already said that you get all these offers.  As has been suggested though, you should think of doing this for fun first and if money comes then great. 

In terms of getting work, your look is huge, but it only gets you so far.  Presentation and marketing gets you beyond the place where looks alone will take you.  With that, things you might dismiss such as the concept of not typing in caps... well those are the little things that play a large part in your presentation.  Don't take it lightly.  The people who offer you advice could ignore you altogether without offering anything at all...

I really was not asking for advice from people i was asking for an oppinion.I already know how to get the photos but what I was asking was am I model material.As far as looks go.I am new to this and yes I could use advice but I am asking everyones opinion on hight,weight,measurments and what type of modeling would be best for me maybe I needed to word it better for those who misunderstood my question.Thank you for the advice but no thank you for being rude and and calling my port generic.That is what it started as was fun but now I want to take it more seriously and would like to know is it a hopeless dream?

Aug 30 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

HarveyT

Sacramento, California, US

If you can show personality and charisma on film, you can be a model.  From looking at your photos so far, you got what it takes.  You may not be in the next Victoria secret catalogue, but I'm not one for mass media capitalism anyway...

Aug 30 06 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

queen of cards wrote:
Why do people get so pissed off about typing in caps?

My reason, because it's bloody hard to read!  Most people's reason, because it's the text media way of YELLING AT SOMEONE!!!

Aug 30 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

You are, what you make yourself

Aug 30 06 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

queen of cards wrote:
I really was not asking for advice from people i was asking for an oppinion.I already know how to get the photos but what I was asking was am I model material.As far as looks go.I am new to this and yes I could use advice but I am asking everyones opinion on hight,weight,measurments and what type of modeling would be best for me maybe I needed to word it better for those who misunderstood my question.

You have already got the answer from a seasoned pro.  Read OldGuysRule's reply, that ends it.  That would be the end-all answer if you want to do it as a job.

Also, NewModels.com's information is from a now-retired agency owner in New York.  Read it.  Learn it.

The short answer again:
Height: too short for fashion and even most commercial modeling: focus on glamour, Playboy, internet, import or promotional etc.
Measurement:  32-26-33, fine, trim your waist a little.
Weight: at 94lb for your height 5'2", that's about right.
Look:  You are pretty, though a little too "common".  I mean it, but that wouldn't compensate for your height.
Age:  For the kind of work that you might be suitable for, that's ok.

Advice: rule out fashion, rule out any agency-level work.  Focus on finding promotional work, glamour from OMP or MM, internet etc.

Aug 30 06 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

queen of cards wrote:
I really was not asking for advice from people i was asking for an oppinion.I already know how to get the photos but what I was asking was am I model material.As far as looks go.I am new to this and yes I could use advice but I am asking everyones opinion on hight,weight,measurments and what type of modeling would be best for me maybe I needed to word it better for those who misunderstood my question.Thank you for the advice but no thank you for being rude and and calling my port generic.That is what it started as was fun but now I want to take it more seriously and would like to know is it a hopeless dream?

I'm not particularly bright, so indulge me for a moment...

You asked some questions on whether or not you're model material.  You then receive plenty of feedback in relation to that, plus extra advice that could be applied to the situation.  And now you're saying you don't want that?

I said nothing at all about your port.  I specifically referred to your bio.  Classifying your bio as generic is not rude... it's just a rational observation.  If I said your bio was crap, then that would be rude.  But I'm not saying that at all.  What I am saying is that your bio says nothing whatsoever about your personality and anyone who tells you otherwise is either blind or feeding you a load of shit. 

In terms of your stats, if you want to make it as a fashion model, save yourself some heartache and let it go.  You're nowhere close to the height that any legitimate agency would sign and I'd think it would be quite evident.  But I'm not agent so feel free to go in and see one to hear what he/she has to say on the issue.  If you want to feel beautiful and have some pretty photos of yourself and perhaps even get paid in the process, then continue to do what you do.  You've already said that you get offers all the time, if so you're obviously got it sorted out...

Aug 30 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

This girl is new.
I get so tired of pedantic people going off on newbies because they are not aware of proper online "decorum..." One scolding is enough. Now, answer her bloody questions and stop turning this into a hijacked thread about caps and spelling... Bloody hell, she's just looking for advice and already she has to be on the defense about an entirly different inconsequential subject that she will eventually realize on her own anyway... boring.

My 2 cents:  I think you are cute but yes, very short.  However, short models make money all of the time on sites like this because there are a ton of shooters that are in need of on camera talent... Especialy if you are willing to be nude (but that's not necessary).
It's hard to find work as a petite model but, it's out there; you just have to find and connect with the appropriate agencies. Let's face it: You will probably never be in Vogue but, that doesn't mean you can't prosper by using other available means that this particular industry has to offer.
Good luck!

Aug 30 06 11:00 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

If you work hard you can work as an independent or internet model.

My stats are simalar to yours I have been modeling for less than two years and have been published on one nationally distributed book, several art galleries, shows, and am able to make more money than I expend at modeling. including paying photographers!!! (I also have a saftey net but as long as I bring in some money around a few hundred to grand each month I don't have to get a real job)

Don't just read this learn it study it do it.

How to get paid

Diversification in networking: Don't only rely only on MM there is OMP, Craig's list, Fineartguild.com, local networking parties and events, yahoo groups, myspace, tribe, workshops, night clubs, and other avenues to get your name out in several markets not just one. Remember networking is key, a lot of artists and photographer share names of models they have worked with. Do one workshop with 5 photographers and that is  5 potential photographers who may have a job for you in the future don’t forget the photographer who is teaching the class as well. And better yet each of  those photographers may know someone else who is looking for a person to play a bit part in the new movie they are having trouble casting.

Diversification in jobs: What genre do you want to work in? The real question is how many genre’s CAN you work in? Art & figure modeling, runway, glamour fetish, commercial, now think outside of the box, there are many artists who need models not jus photographers, sculptors need models, as do painters, and art teachers and art students, Some artists need models for body castings. Not all art is pretty and glamorous. I played a dead girl in a bath tub once. Some models also work with promotions passing out samples and information, or wearing new outfits by local designers to clubs, movie bits, and the good old fun job of go-go dancing.

Contacts: make your self easy to find, every photographer and artist has a different venue they go to find models some you meet on the street, some you meet in galleries some you meet at book signings. Always have your business card or comp card at all times I recommend a web site with email. Easy to say, easy to spell, easy to remember. Have your cell number usable at all times or get a modeling cell only if you are worried about privacy. If a photographer thinks of you for a project you need to make sure he/she can FIND YOU and contact you in 2 minutes or less. I know a lot of photographers who lament about the model they though of and don’t have any info on. They can’t recall the OMP number or the last name…

Replies: Now you have photographers and artists contacting you. Reply back to them even if you do not want to work with that job. A simple no thank you I’m booked that day or I do not think that job is right for me but please keep me in mind for other jobs you may have in the future. Will do just that, it will keep you out of the little black books everyone professes to have. After each job send a little thank you email letting them know you appreciate the fact that they hired you and picked you for the job. This goes for studio managers as well as photographers. Sometimes just a “it was great to meet you” is all that is needed to get you on a mental list of models to work with.

Payment: Oh right you are doing all of this to get paid. Payment comes in many ways her is a fun little list I have been keeping up to date in all the crazy ways I have been paid for my work.
Cash
Prints
Room
Board
Plane tickets
Movie tickets
Sushi
Hair cuts, color, styles,
Ramen
Fresh lemons
Fresh catnip
Wine
Clothing
Free night club entrance
Free drinks
Books
CD’s
Free trips vacations
Spankings (That was special don’t get any ideas)
Tattoos
Rum Soaked Truffles
All the hot wings I can eat
All the wonderful beautiful new places I have traveled to and seen.
All the wonderful beautiful people I have met and learned from.
The chance to be immortalized in art

Aug 30 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Merlyn Magic Photo

Long Beach, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

My stats are simalar to yours I have been modeling for less than two years and have been published on one nationally distributed book, several art galleries, shows, and am able to make more money than I expend at modeling. including paying photographers!!! (I also have a saftey net but as long as I bring in some money around a few hundred to grand each month I don't have to get a real job)

How to get paid

Snip to conserve Bandwidth

Iona:
Flesh this out girl, publish as an ebook and sell it on your website for $4.95 a copy. You have got a winner here!
Merlyn

Think I'm crazy, check out this guy and his ebay empire.

http://www.newphotographer.com

Aug 30 06 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Merlyn_Magic Photo wrote:
http://www.newphotographer.com

I couldn't find the "how to get laid" e-book on his website.  LoL

Aug 31 06 12:06 am Link

Model

queen of cards

Iona Lynn wrote:

How to get paid

Diversification in networking: Don't only rely only on MM there is OMP, Craig's list, Fineartguild.com, local networking parties and events, yahoo groups, myspace, tribe, workshops, night clubs, and other avenues to get your name out in several markets not just one. Remember networking is key, a lot of artists and photographer share names of models they have worked with. Do one workshop with 5 photographers and that is  5 potential photographers who may have a job for you in the future don’t forget the photographer who is teaching the class as well. And better yet each of  those photographers may know someone else who is looking for a person to play a bit part in the new movie they are having trouble casting.

Diversification in jobs: What genre do you want to work in? The real question is how many genre’s CAN you work in? Art & figure modeling, runway, glamour fetish, commercial, now think outside of the box, there are many artists who need models not jus photographers, sculptors need models, as do painters, and art teachers and art students, Some artists need models for body castings. Not all art is pretty and glamorous. I played a dead girl in a bath tub once. Some models also work with promotions passing out samples and information, or wearing new outfits by local designers to clubs, movie bits, and the good old fun job of go-go dancing.

Contacts: make your self easy to find, every photographer and artist has a different venue they go to find models some you meet on the street, some you meet in galleries some you meet at book signings. Always have your business card or comp card at all times I recommend a web site with email. Easy to say, easy to spell, easy to remember. Have your cell number usable at all times or get a modeling cell only if you are worried about privacy. If a photographer thinks of you for a project you need to make sure he/she can FIND YOU and contact you in 2 minutes or less. I know a lot of photographers who lament about the model they though of and don’t have any info on. They can’t recall the OMP number or the last name…

Replies: Now you have photographers and artists contacting you. Reply back to them even if you do not want to work with that job. A simple no thank you I’m booked that day or I do not think that job is right for me but please keep me in mind for other jobs you may have in the future. Will do just that, it will keep you out of the little black books everyone professes to have. After each job send a little thank you email letting them know you appreciate the fact that they hired you and picked you for the job. This goes for studio managers as well as photographers. Sometimes just a “it was great to meet you” is all that is needed to get you on a mental list of models to work with.

Payment: Oh right you are doing all of this to get paid. Payment comes in many ways her is a fun little list I have been keeping up to date in all the crazy ways I have been paid for my work.
Cash
Prints
Room
Board
Plane tickets
Movie tickets
Sushi
Hair cuts, color, styles,
Ramen
Fresh lemons
Fresh catnip
Wine
Clothing
Free night club entrance
Free drinks
Books
CD’s
Free trips vacations
Spankings (That was special don’t get any ideas)
Tattoos
Rum Soaked Truffles
All the hot wings I can eat
All the wonderful beautiful new places I have traveled to and seen.
All the wonderful beautiful people I have met and learned from.

Thank you for all the advice and support!I hope that other people can read this and learn from it as well!

Aug 31 06 07:14 am Link

Model

Kimberley

Brighton, Alabama, US

Have fun with it, see where it leads...thats what i say. If you dont get on well with it, atleast you have tried!

Aug 31 06 07:28 am Link