Forums > General Industry > Who else loves CraigsList?

Model

Jessica - The Peach

Los Angeles, California, US

give a shout-out if youve ever hooked up with a photog/model/MUA or really jsut about anything on craigslist.  ive worked with two photogs off of it, and i love it just because of the crazy things people say.

LETS HERE IT FOR CRAIGSLIST!

also acceptable would be CL horror stories.

Aug 29 06 01:07 am Link

Model

vile_Mab_vile

Denver, Colorado, US

w00t

Aug 29 06 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Tracy L Province

Omaha, Arkansas, US

You mean like all the emails that I get from posts off of it that really are virus's that crashed my computer so completely that I lost 20 good photos and had to buy a new computer?

Aug 29 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I heart shopping on craigslist. But I try to stay away from the weirdos.

Model

Jessica - The Peach

ok, thats a good example of a horror story (tlprovince), well done

Model

vile_Mab_vile

Denver, Colorado, US

tlprovince photography wrote:
You mean like all the emails that I get from posts off of it that really are virus's that crashed my computer so completely that I lost 20 good photos and had to buy a new computer?

*antivirus*.....maybe?

Aug 29 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

No virus is bad enough that you should have to buy a new computer. Viruses are on the h/d. Worse case senario, buy a new h/d....

Anyhow, I'm looking for an apartment on Craigslist...But no one answers their emails?!?!?!

Aug 29 06 01:20 am Link

Model

Jessica - The Peach

yeah, id say for all the people i respond to, maybe, MAYBE 50% reply.

Aug 29 06 01:22 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Jessica - The Peach wrote:
yeah, id say for all the people i respond to, maybe, MAYBE 50% reply.

Wow, that's really good.  My response rate is more like 3%.

But of course, my best client came from Craig's List.  So it kind of evens out.

Aug 29 06 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

I've never had a success on Craigslist for anything. Looking for work, applying for work, selling stuff -- Nothing has ever worked out from it. I just put another advertisement on it today, and sent emails to a couple jobs, but I doubt anything will come of them.

Its awesome that Craigslist works for some people, but I think with me its cursed.

-P-

Aug 29 06 03:57 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I bought a few goodies:

Canon 20D w/grip (a yr ago) - $900
Canon 85/1.8 ( a yr ago)  - $200
LowePro Pro Trekker AW II (mint cond) - $125

Aug 29 06 04:07 am Link

Photographer

Louis Guidone

Woodside, New York, US

I've bought and sold gear on there too.  Have to tell you though, I can't stand people that do not delete their posts when they get rid of stuff.  And hagglers suck too.

Aug 29 06 04:13 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

I found my last apartment on CL.

My boyfriend's futon/bed was found on CL.

Of the 11 booked shoots I have so far for September, 4 of them are from CL.

I have had tons of great shoots from CL.

And one not so great.

I say.. I love it!

Aug 29 06 04:24 am Link

Photographer

Tracy L Province

Omaha, Arkansas, US

Kitty_10169 wrote:

*antivirus*.....maybe?

I downloaded spybot..i downloaded macafee..I even had a friend come from the local air force base who is an IT person (the big guns) and it had already attacked my motherboard...two trojans and 3 worms that replicated themselves everytime that they would get cleaned.  And Yes, it is possible according to my friend to get a virus so bad you have to scrap your computer.

Aug 29 06 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

It all depends on where you live. Craigslist majorly rocks in San Diego, for example. In Albany NY, it's pretty dead.

Paul

Aug 29 06 06:38 am Link

Model

BopBopBop

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

I do!!!!

too bad more people in England don't use it

Aug 29 06 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

bang bang photo wrote:
It all depends on where you live. Craigslist majorly rocks in San Diego, for example. In Albany NY, it's pretty dead.

Paul

I grew up in Clifton Park, there's little in Albany that isn't dead tongue

PS: I used to freelance for the Saratogian from 99-00

As far as CL is concerned, I've recruited 80% of the people I've shot from there.  Only 3 from MM...

Aug 29 06 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Ana Yacubic Photography

Riverside, California, US

I downloaded spybot..i downloaded macafee..I even had a friend come from the local air force base who is an IT person (the big guns) and it had already attacked my motherboard...two trojans and 3 worms that replicated themselves everytime that they would get cleaned.  And Yes, it is possible according to my friend to get a virus so bad you have to scrap your computer.

Generally those measures won't do anyone any good after your computer has been compromised by a virus...key is to have the antivirus beforehand to prevent stuff like that. Or else just get a Mac!

Aug 29 06 06:47 am Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Here in the NYC/CT area I have casted a number of models and actors for commercial and personal work.

It is much better to cast with Craiglist then it is here or at OMP.

M

Aug 29 06 06:54 am Link

Photographer

SPI Glamour

Arnold, Nebraska, US

I've gotten two cars, a laptop, two docking stations, a stove...lots of stuff off of craigslist, and always had good luck.  Roberta even booked to shoot with two photographers in Denver, so I took a day off work, and we drove for 5 hours...and neither shooter was even decent enough to call her and let her know they weren't going to shoot afterall.  We continue to shop on CL, but I think when it comes to photographers, if they want to work with her, they'll have to send a cash deposit first!

Aug 29 06 07:00 am Link

Photographer

randy wolf

Seattle, Washington, US

Im a huge fan of the casual encounters section. the most fun ever. its also amazing to take what poeple sayon there and run it through the speach program on the computer and have then say sexual things a robot voices. try it out guys. youll be addicted.

Aug 29 06 07:09 am Link

Model

Linda K

New York, New York, US

Love it!!...

Aug 29 06 08:04 am Link

Model

MamaSkull

Feasterville-Trevose, Pennsylvania, US

I really like craigslist, but have only used it to sell things or give them away free.

I really waffle when trusting ads on there. So many of them are bogus. Even if I have seen a casting call I'm interested in, I haven't responded because I fear the bogus-ness. I guess my paranoia kicks in in those scenarios.

Any tips for using CL for that sort of thing?

Aug 29 06 08:04 am Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

i have gotten several things off CL. i try and check it daily.
what headline/ for the listing, did  you get the shoots/jobs from

Aug 29 06 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

A couple of weeks back I ran one ad on CL for a nude project I'm shooting,
Got about 20 replies.

Of the 5 people I have scheduled.....

The first showed up early,
but saw another person sitting on the front step of my studio,
and assuming I was trying to pull some sort of freaky fast one,
proceeded to drive right back home,

the second and third showed up early,
and were both ready to go,
and were great models.

The third and fourth are scheduled for this week.

The other 15 mostly want to schedule,
But I don't have enough time to schedule them,
or I ruled them out.

So I am happy with what CL provided on my first try.
the other nice thing is the lack of need to negotiate on CL.
I said this is what I need and for the most part I got what I needed.

Aug 29 06 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Kencredible

Norfolk, Virginia, US

what section do you guys post in for models?

Aug 29 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I got my job working for a photography company on craigslist, as well as a few freelance clients.  I haven't had any luck finding models though (but I guess my request for age 60+ models with tattoos is pretty specifc...).

Aug 29 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Kencredible wrote:
what section do you guys post in for models?

Gigs-->creative       is where they SHOULD go. 

Many go into      Communities--> artists

Aug 29 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Al of Avalon

San Antonio, Texas, US

I hope you replaced it with a Mac.

Aug 29 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Eli Ceballos

Brooklyn, New York, US

I am a true blue CL junkie...check it daily and i have bought often, without complaints.

regarding email probs...you can setup a feebie email account that does not drop into your HD automatically as POP3 does instead use hotmail or something web based strictly for craigslist.

Or modify your addy.

for example.

my email is [email protected]

on CL it is

eli at crypticarts dot com

Aug 29 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Robert NYC

New York, New York, US

I use CL all the time - not just for models/MUAs, but for barters, purchases and sales (just bought a great guitar). Traded writing lessons to a personal trainer for a year one time. etc etc etc.

We hosted a woman last year at our apt, in exchange for free use of an apartment in Valencia, Spain this year. It goes on and on.

Last night, found out I needed an affordable, talented MUA TODAY at 2p - posted last night, got a half-dozen responses, at least two of whom look great.

Hired several models from there - some work well, some don't, but it's a great pool.

Yup, love CL!

Robert

Aug 29 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

i have a love/hate craigs list relationship . most of the time its usually hate.

Aug 29 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Robert NYC

New York, New York, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
Here in the NYC/CT area I have casted a number of models and actors for commercial and personal work.

It is much better to cast with Craiglist then it is here or at OMP.

M

Hate to say, but I agree with you - I think there are better quality models and photographers on here, but doing an open casting call rarely works out as well as on CL, and haggling/negotiating/scheduling here seems to be a trick...

But then, I'm still new here...

Robert

Aug 29 06 09:57 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Sold a car, bought a camera, got laid, found a dog, networked with models, placed banners, found a job, rented a studio, got laid, bought a bike, found a friend, got laid, bought a computer, found a gallery, got laid, bought a surfboard, sold a couch, got laid,... ect

Aug 29 06 10:08 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

C R Photography wrote:
...got laid..., ... got laid..., ... got laid..., ... got laid...,  ...got laid,

So, inquiring minds wanna know:

How much did you get for the surfboard?

Aug 29 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

PPRO Analyst

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ever hear of antivirus and firewall?  If you're on the internet you MUST have both!

Aug 30 06 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Interesting observation: I have bought and sold a LOT of stuff over the years at camera and ham radio fleamarkets (long ago) and more recently on ebay and Craigslist. I did "stupid" things all the time like accepting personal checks from total strangers, and never once got screwed.

I have only been taken/screwed twice -- once when I sold a car to a close friend and fellow churchmember, and once when I sold a guitar to a friend and coworker at a large corporation. Both times were not online -- they were transactions with "friends." Ironic, huh.

I can't decide whether I am very lucky in making transactions with strangers, or very unlucky in picking friends. . . .

Paul

Aug 30 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Justin N Lane wrote:

I grew up in Clifton Park, there's little in Albany that isn't dead tongue

PS: I used to freelance for the Saratogian from 99-00

As far as CL is concerned, I've recruited 80% of the people I've shot from there.  Only 3 from MM...

Wow -- small world. And you're not kidding about Albany being dead. The old saying, "if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere," is nowhere more true!

Aug 30 06 08:49 am Link

Photographer

dodgy photography

San Francisco, California, US

Sold gear
Bought gear
Got an apartment
Got a girlfriend
Got many many clients advertising in Musicians Community

Aug 30 06 10:22 am Link

Photographer

KLEB

Atlanta, Georgia, US

yeah...i love craigslist too...i've shot two or three different models from craigslist and some from MM....

Aug 30 06 10:32 am Link