Forums > General Industry > Photo shoot in 2 hrs - models coming?

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Location: A beautiful Bed & Breakfast Victorian home rented out for our exclusive use for 24 hours.

Models committed to come  and expected as of a week ago:  7, and possibly more. (see below)

1 cancelled with car trouble. She's a friend and the car trouble is real.

another also had car trouble - tried to work out a shared ride, but couldn't get the logistics right.  Cancelled late last night.  No blame - lots of MSN messaging trying to solve the problem.  Sincere try on her part.

1 cancelled 3 days ago to take a paid shoot instead.

1 evaporated - no response to email in over a week. (history of this behaviour it seems, I learned.)

A MM photographer/"manager" offered several girls he has "signed."  Discussed details with him for two weeks.  3 days ago, I said "send models."  Now communication with him has evaporated and he doesn't reply to emails.  Anyone want to bet if those models show up or not? :-)

So, I'm hoping the remaining three actually make it.

Sadly, this seems pretty typical for this type of event. :-)

Now, what am I gonna do with all the damn food and drink I bought to feed them? :^)

Aug 26 06 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Wayne Sclesky

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Jim Ball wrote:
Now, what am I gonna do with all the damn food and drink I bought to feed them? :^)

If I didn't have plans for the day I would come help you get rid of the food and drink smile

Wayne Sclesky

Aug 26 06 10:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

DeAnn C

Katy, Texas, US

Sorry to hear that Jim, I hope they show up for you..If not so late of a notice we might have been able to help you out.  Weekend road trips are fun.

Aug 26 06 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Keith Goodman

Sarasota, Florida, US

Ah the state of things..

Wish I were closer we could do lunch smile with all the food.

There aught to be some e-bay like rating system so models and photographers are held accountable for their behavior.  Instead the lessons have to be individually learned.  I can't tell you the number of models who rudely simply evaporate instead of a simple "No thank you" note.  Then again I don't need to tell you.  You are there.

I feel your pain.

Keith

Aug 26 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

Been there done that !!!   I have ceased to rent or do a  down payment on anything these days. 

Mac

Aug 26 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

wolff wrote:
Been there done that !!!   I have ceased to rent or do a  down payment on anything these days. 

Mac

Well, small advantage for me:  My wife & I will be spending the night, so it will be a little quiet weekend retreat for us now that most of those rowdy, noisy models aren't going to be there. :-)

Aug 26 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Miguel Book 1

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Move on

Call some friends, to see if they want to shoot, at this point i will shoot my dogs if I have to, so it is not a totally lost.

Eat the food and have a good time,

Buy some take out boxes and you will have food for a while. smile

Never, never spend money on a situation like this if you are not sure that the models are realiable. You must work with people that you already know.

Maybe you need to consider to pay the models next time if this is a important project for you.

Aug 26 06 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

MUAKansas wrote:
Sorry to hear that Jim, I hope they show up for you..If not so late of a notice we might have been able to help you out.  Weekend road trips are fun.

yeah, too bad.  We would enjoy having you.  We are shooting just about two hours drive due East of Wichita (St. Paul, Ks.), and will shoot until 8:00 pm or so this evening.  It's not too late for you to make it!   I put up a couple of casting calls two of three weeks ago, but didn't get mnuch of any response except from the one "manager."  (Aren't they supposed to be banned from MM?)

Aug 26 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Wayne Sclesky wrote:

If I didn't have plans for the day I would come help you get rid of the food and drink smile

Wayne Sclesky

Hey Wayne!  You'd be welcome too!  I thought you hung out mostly over on MWM&P forum?  Whatcha doing over here? :-)

Aug 26 06 10:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

DeAnn C

Katy, Texas, US

Girls are home this weekend or we would have loved to come join in the fun.  Let us know in the future if you do this again and we will see what our schedules are like.  I don't think many people read the casting stuff anyway.

DeAnn

Aug 26 06 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Miguel A wrote:
Move on

Call some friends, to see if they want to shoot, at this point i will shoot my dogs if I have to, so it is not a totally lost.

Eat the food and have a good time,

Buy some take out boxes and you will have food for a while. smile

Never, never spend money on a situation like this if you are not sure that the models are realiable. You must work with people that you already know.

Maybe you need to consider to pay the models next time if this is a important project for you.

It was set up as a fun shoot.  I'm not out a great deal of money and that's not the issue.  I'm not even complaining, but just relating a story that is all too common.

I've worked with most of the models before.  Two of the three that are coming I've worked with.  The one that canceled for a paid shoot, I've also worked with.

The three remaining models will be great fun to work with and the shoot will still be a success.

Aug 26 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

keithg wrote:
Ah the state of things..

There aught to be some e-bay like rating system so models and photographers are held accountable for their behavior.  Instead the lessons have to be individually learned.  I can't tell you the number of models who rudely simply evaporate instead of a simple "No thank you" note.  Then again I don't need to tell you.  You are there.

I feel your pain.

Keith

hehe.  You are a ways down there!  Actually, one of the models is coming from Tulsa though.

Aug 26 06 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Time to head out the door!  I'll let you know how it goes. :-)

Aug 26 06 11:07 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

You should have  called Kizzy !

Aug 26 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Well?  How'd it go?

Aug 26 06 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Kelly Talele

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ah, sorry to hear about this!  I hope the other models made it.

I had a similar experience a couple weeks ago.  Five out of the six models I had "booked" for a shoot had to cancel at various stages during the days right before the shoot.  They were all legitimate reasons to cancel, too.  Sometimes things just happen.

The shoot went well, though, because another photographer friend came over with three models of her own.

I do wish we had a sort of feedback system here like they do over on eBay.  LOL  For models, photographers and stylists of course.  smile

Aug 26 06 01:01 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

We should all start taking bets on the remaining 3 models. Will they show up? Cancel last minute? Never hear from them again?

Aug 26 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:
We should all start taking bets on the remaining 3 models. Will they show up? Cancel last minute? Never hear from them again?

Well, here we sit at the Bed & Breakfast still waiting for the models to show up.  The one who wanted to come early because she had to leave at 6:00 pm has been a no show, no call, so do not know what happened to her.  As of last night, she intended to be here early today.

I've been on the phone with the other two.  One who was driving a distance took a wrong turn but is back on the road and is 45 minutes out.  The good thing is she has a friend with her.  The other model got off work at 4:00 pm and should be here any minute.  It's a one hour drive from her home.  So, still hoping......

Aug 26 06 05:42 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Decadence D

Chicago, Illinois, US

keithg wrote:
Ah the state of things..

I feel your pain.

Keith

This is actually a really good idea. I vote for the rating system, lol.  What's funny is the models who evaporate on me with no explanation for TFP towards the date and ended up having to face me again for something paid.  I always say to treat all of what you agree to do the same way cause you never know how you might come across that person later on.

Aug 26 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Miguel A wrote:

Exactly. If I had to pay for something like this, then I'm going to use a combination of models I KNOW are going to show up, as well as a couple of models I haven't worked with. The fact that you are spending the night with the wife is a plus. Now, as far as the food is concerned... LOL

Aug 26 06 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

VRG Photography wrote:

Exactly. If I had to pay for something like this, then I'm going to use a combination of models I KNOW are going to show up, as well as a couple of models I haven't worked with. The fact that you are spending the night with the wife is a plus. Now, as far as the food is concerned... LOL

The only model that showed up for this shoot is one neither myself nor Marvin has ever worked with.  She's been great & she brought a friend.  All the no-shows and cancels except one were models we have worked with before.  There were only two no-show, no-calls.

Aug 26 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Alcantar

Beaumont, California, US

Yep , know Kizzy would have showed up...

Joe

Aug 26 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

-Tripp

San Diego, California, US

When you've caught an episode of COPS, do you ever wonder what other criminals think when they watch it?

I wonder how many flakes and no-shows have seen this thread and I wonder what they think seeing their no-show flaky sisters in action.

To the model who showed up with her friend. Good on you, girl!

Someone respects the time of other people and their efforts.

Aug 26 06 10:58 pm Link

Model

Meagan Colf

Seligman, Missouri, US

All this really gives a sincere model a bad rep! I had read your casting call in the forum and if there had not been any conflicts I was going to see about getting more info!

Too bad on those models parts! They missed shooting with someone who has a great port!

How did the pics come out?

Someone had posted  about a rating system. Might not be a bad idea really!

Aug 26 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Meagan Colf wrote:
All this really gives a sincere model a bad rep! I had read your casting call in the forum and if there had not been any conflicts I was going to see about getting more info!

Too bad on those models parts! They missed shooting with someone who has a great port!

How did the pics come out?

Someone had posted  about a rating system. Might not be a bad idea really!

Meagan,

You are definitely invited to our next shoot.  It might be a little while before we do it again here, but we will try again.  The location is just too good to abandon.

Aug 26 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Jim Ball wrote:

The only model that showed up for this shoot is one neither myself nor Marvin has ever worked with.  She's been great & she brought a friend.  All the no-shows and cancels except one were models we have worked with before.  There were only two no-show, no-calls.

Damn.

So much for THAT theory.

Aug 27 06 12:03 am Link

Model

Jessica - The Peach

Los Angeles, California, US

if you really need a model, im free! uh, you just have to pay for the plane ticket, i guess... but the offer is on the table!

Aug 27 06 02:31 am Link

Model

Nola Neko

Webb City, Missouri, US

I want to express my sincerest apologies for not making it. Work had me there until 7pm, but I did get a hold of you and now I seriously need to rethink this working, modeling, school, and being a mother thing. I am running on empty and I am so discouraged at this point that I don't know what to do. I want to work with you again, and very soon. Just like I want to work with Marvin again. Brooke wants to as well.. and if I have to plan the next thing, so help me, I will! And if it just so happens to be in the Home Depot parking lot..so be it..at least I will be there.

But thank you Jim and Marvin.. You two are more than just photographers, you are friends.. at that is why I am even more upset by this whole ordeal.

Aug 27 06 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Anderson Artwork

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Jim...join the club...as of right now...the no show rate for our midwestern models is about 9 out of 10. I recently had a major shoot [for three children's charities, no less!] scheduled that started out with 85 models being contacted...only 47 responded at all...43 of which said "Yes, they would volunteer to help out the project"...only 15 said they would actually come when the fianl date was set...3 were actually ready to show, at T-minus 48 hrs....needed 12 at minimum...result?

CANCELLED

And that was was to help disabled and sick...KIDS!

One of the main reasons there is no real media industry here in the mid west is that there is vertually NO FOLLOW THROUGH from the models. They usually have no real investment of their resources and seem to look at this as something to do on a whim. I have between 20 and 30 THOUSAND invested in this a a business.

MODELS....when you stand up a photographer....he can't just replace you at a moments notice, usually....this would be like you showing up for your job and finding the door locked....you get paid by the hour...you don't work that day....how long would you keep showing up if the door was locked 4 of the 5 days you were scheduled to be there that week?

My guess? No more than one week and you would never go back there again. Now I know that there are models that have had some no shows and other types of bad photographer experiences, but I can not believe that they flake as often as I have seen models do it. They have way too much invested for that.

rant over....

Aug 27 06 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Cosette wrote:
I want to express my sincerest apologies for not making it. Work had me there until 7pm, but I did get a hold of you and now I seriously need to rethink this working, modeling, school, and being a mother thing. I am running on empty and I am so discouraged at this point that I don't know what to do. I want to work with you again, and very soon. Just like I want to work with Marvin again. Brooke wants to as well.. and if I have to plan the next thing, so help me, I will! And if it just so happens to be in the Home Depot parking lot..so be it..at least I will be there.

But thank you Jim and Marvin.. You two are more than just photographers, you are friends.. at that is why I am even more upset by this whole ordeal.

Cosette,

I assign no blame to you at all.  We were on the phone with each other throughout the day and I was made aware of your situation.  We will work together again, and soon. 

To fellow MM readers:  Cosette is very brave to step forward here and identify herself.  She is a great model and a great person.  The last time I spoke with her on the phone yesterday, she sounded close to tears.  I have no hesitation working with her again.  I never named names with the others, and have no intentions of doing so.  Most of the models DID let me know in advance that they would not be there.  That advance notice varied frome a week to a few days to less than 24 hours.  As I stated, there were only two no-show, no calls.  One of them has a history of doing that, so I wasn't surprised by her.  The other has not had a chance to answer why she didn't show or call, so I will reserve judgement.

The purpose of my original post was not to bash models, but to just let people know how the best laid plans can go completely to pieces.

On a positive note, Alyssa came all the way from Blue Springs, Missouri,  brought a friend, and had a great time!

Now it is time for me to go pack away my lights and gear and head for home.  I'm typing this on my notebook in the kitchen of the B&B.  Who knows, maybe one of the nosho's got her dates mixed up and will show up before I leave! :^P  (ever the optimist...)

Aug 27 06 09:13 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

1 outta 7..... ouch.

Aug 27 06 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Mayanlee wrote:
1 outta 7..... ouch.

Two, if you want to count her friend.  Her friend had never modeled before, was understandably nervous at first, but loosened up quick and had a great time.  Thanks to my wife, Wanda, for helping them feel comfortable.

I'm the one that needs to apologize to Alyssa and friend.  Their drive took longer than planned and they didn't arrive until 6:30 pm.  By then, my stress level was high, I was getting tired, and I did not give them the attention they deserved.  By 10:00 pm I couldn't think or see straight.  We did get some good work done though before my creativity fuse burned out..  Fortunately, Eveready Marvin was able to do justice to both ladies and worked with them until well after midnight.  They left with some excellent photos in the can.

Aug 27 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Miguel Book 1

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Jim Ball wrote:

Two, if you want to count her friend.  Her friend had never modeled before, was understandably nervous at first, but loosened up quick and had a great time.  Thanks to my wife, Wanda, for helping them feel comfortable.

I'm the one that needs to apologize to Alyssa and friend.  Their drive took longer than planned and they didn't arrive until 6:30 pm.  By then, my strsse level was high, I was getting tired, and I did not give them the attention they deserved.  By 10:00 pm I couldn't think or see straight.  We did get some good work done though before my creativity fuse burned out..  Fortunately, Eveready Marvin was able to do justice to both ladies and worked with them until well after midnight.  They left with some excellent photos in the can.

Glad that you got 2 models.
When are we going to see your images from the shoot?
What happened with all the food?

Aug 27 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Miguel A wrote:
Glad that you got 2 models.
When are we going to see your images from the shoot?
What happened with all the food?

Well, I knew far enough in advance that all 7 would not e there, so some of it went in the freezer to cook & eat later.  The soft drinks will not go to waste either.

I'll have some sample images from the shoot later tonight or in the next day or so.  I'll post them in this thread.

Aug 27 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

John Valdez

Anaheim, California, US

oh man...

hey if nobody shows up, just throw a huge party...hugh hefner style

=-)

Aug 27 06 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

John Valdez wrote:
oh man...

hey if nobody shows up, just throw a huge party...hugh hefner style

=-)

I've done that!  A bit off topic, but I also do competition barbeque cookoffs.  There's always an enormous amount of barbequed brisket, ribs, pulled pork and chicken left over after a competition.  I usually haul it in to the office the Monday after the event and feed everyone. :-)

Aug 27 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Jim,  You are nonchalant about this.  That is the attitude I take too.  I've been pretty lucky when it comes to "no shows" since I've had very few.  But I did write something in my blog; 

Late again? How to be on time ...
Current mood:  cheerful
Category: Art and Photography

It's not fair to pick on models when photographers and just about any human being can be late.  I commented on another thread about this but it got buried.  I listed some ideas to help motivate people to be on time to shoots like;

(1) Get the people invested in the shoot.  If money is being exchanged, she or he is more likely to show up on time!  It's a serious loss if you show up late to court or the hospital.  So if "serious loss" of money, freedom or life is involved, we show up! tongue

(2) Be sure you have exchanged cell phone numbers AND that directions are CLEAR.  I have a minutes plan that allows for up 5,000 minutes and long distance so I don't care if I talk to someone while giving them directions. 

(3) Have alternative plans or things to do available to you so that you are not bored (which contributes to mad moods.)  I like to have several people around so that I can put someone in right away to check lighting, warm up, etc. ... before the model gets there.  Then when the model arrives, they jump in!  It works that way in Hollywood!  If you can find something else to occupy your time, you'll feel better.

(4) Car pool or make arrangements for transportation.  This is a good thing to do, especially when it's critical to have everyone there about the same time.  Traffic becomes less of an "poor" excuse when we are together in it!  LOL

For those who do "TFP" and complain ... all I can say is what does the photographer and model have to lose?  It's part of the risk you take in doing "TFP" ... it's better to pay the models!

Of all these ... I find that making arrangements for transportation is the best way to make sure the models get there!  I've been the one to go "pick them up" several times!  LOL

Aug 27 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Jim Ball wrote:

Well, small advantage for me:  My wife & I will be spending the night, so it will be a little quiet weekend retreat for us now that most of those rowdy, noisy models aren't going to be there. :-)

Yeah who needs rowdy models anyways? smile I'm off to pick up a CD from a shoot yesterday where the model DID show up; this afternoon's shoot is I think history! Model was SO excited Thursday too! smile

Least I am not out anything!

Ken

Aug 27 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

I have reason to believe the last second no show model is alive and well.  Marvin & I were quite worried that she might have had an auto accident or something similar on the way to the photo shoot.  I emailed her this morning voicing my concerns for her well being, but haven't received a reply yet.  Some time today she logged in to Model Mayhem.

I'm still hoping to hear from her with an explanation.

My paranoia is rearing it's ugly head.  Another model that she has been discussing a joint shoot with had a real problem with my model release.  I haven't worked with #2 model, but did do a meet & greet and gave her a copy of my release.  I suspect the actual problem wasn't with #2 model not liking my release,  but husband/manager of #2 model not liking it. (I do not give out a full resolution set of unedited images with unlimited usage rights.)

I hope I'm just being paranoid and suspicious and have not been the victim of a poison pen letter.

Aug 27 06 06:21 pm Link

Model

Deleteacciunt

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

too bad that i live in Toronto....

Aug 27 06 07:17 pm Link