Forums > General Industry > what to do when a phot who did tfp won't answer hi

Model

keri t

New York, New York, US

his phone and give you the pics owed for your time?? what can i do?ive called and called and left messages and once he answered and said he would give them to me weeks ago and now its been a month. help!

Aug 26 06 07:14 am Link

Model

MsHeidi

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

Just hang in there! I`ve waited for 2 months many times before!

If he`s not a total ass you`ll get them smile

Aug 26 06 07:17 am Link

Model

keri t

New York, New York, US

i think he is a total ass... and i don't believe he is going to give them to me... in that case is there anything i can do? he does not even live inthe same state as i do....

Aug 26 06 07:21 am Link

Model

Aurora Natrix

Miami, Florida, US

I love how people talk a mile about flakey models, yet not much is said for flakey photographers. With that said, this is really an iffy topic. If this is a very established photographer that makes his living from photography and did you a favour for the tfp then your photos will be a low priority. Money talks. It could be a week, it could be a year. His clients that paid for his services will always come first. He should have provided you with a couple of digital shots within the first couple of weeks at least though (you didn't say whether or not he did).

Now, if this is a photographer that did tfp with you to help build his as well as your portfolio to gain future clients then he really knows how to burn bridges fast. Consider it  a loss and a lesson well learned.

Aug 26 06 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Andre Giovina

Frisco, Texas, US

Aug 26 06 07:25 am Link

Model

keri t

New York, New York, US

true but for next time maybe i should have all photographers sign a release? but its not like you can involve the courts so what will that do? he is not well established.. i don't think... but im pissed cuz this is hard work, it was hot ect... and i want my damn photos!

Aug 26 06 07:37 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

id say just be patient, and be nice, and keep asking nicely. i have had it b4 where 6 months have gone by b4 anyone gets the pics, including me, as free work has to take a back seat to paid work, and so if i get busy, then there just arent the amount oh hours in a day and days in a week to do it all. if he shot digi, even worse, as that takes alot longer to edit and retouch.
if he has the pics in his book or on his site then i would increase the pressure a little as that is a bit different.

Aug 26 06 07:40 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

keri t wrote:
true but for next time maybe i should have all photographers sign a release? but its not like you can involve the courts so what will that do? he is not well established.. i don't think... but im pissed cuz this is hard work, it was hot ect... and i want my damn photos!

A contract isn't a bad idea, but watch your step with that...especially since you're new to this and apparently don't know the ropes yet. With your limited experience in this field, odds are, if you draw up a contract yourself you're going to overstep your bounds and people are going to think you're more trouble than you're worth. It's really up to the photographer what the exchange is...how many photos you get, how many retouchings you get, all that good stuff...so it should be up to them to decide the terms of a contract. Not you. In this case...count your losses and move on with your life. If a photographer isn't even returning your calls, it's all but official...you've been screwed. It was probably just some crackpot amatuer who saw that you were new and inexperienced and could be taken advantage of. How many references did you check? How cautious are you with new photographers? The burden is really on you to make sure that you're not going to get dicked over. But it can still happen...I didn't get the shots back from my first shoot...but you know what? If someone's won't give you your photos...I like to jump to the conclusion that they sucked and the asshole was just ashamed. It lessens the sting...at least for me. smile For every asshole I've met, I've found at least 10 really good people, and I'm a pretty critical bitch tongue, so don't be discouraged.

PS...I have some advice for you for your profile, but since you didn't ask for a critique I won't give it here. If you'd like some constructive criticism that may greatly benefit you drop me an email and I'll share a few of the little tips I've picked up from others along the way.

Aug 26 06 07:49 am Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

keri t wrote:
his phone and give you the pics owed for your time?? what can i do?ive called and called and left messages and once he answered and said he would give them to me weeks ago and now its been a month. help!

To me, a month is at the outter edge of what is acceptable.  But, as one poster said, TFP always takes a back seat to paying work.  If the photographer has been very busy, it may account for the delay.  Or, you have been unfortunate enough to work with a guy that is just a jerk and has no intension of getting the images to you.

You also state that you should "have the photographer sign a release."  This is not what you mean.  A Release grants usage rights to the photographer.  What you are really speaking of is a "contract."  The contract would state the "deal" which would include how many images you will be receiving, processed or un-processed, what you can do with them, and when you will be recieving them.

Now, before you shot with this photographer, did you ask for references?  Did you call those references?  Before you went to the shoot did you ask how long it would take to get your images?  Did you ask how many images you would be receiving and in what form?

There are a lot of flakey models out there (not you) and there are also some flakey photographers (GWC).  Unfortunately, as a freelance model, you need to also do the work that an agency would do for you..... you need to "assess" the project and the photographer before agreeing to the shoot.  What did you do to try to determine if this photographer was a solid person, a talented photographer, and a good businessman?  Remember, as a freelancer, you are both a model and an agency rep.

Aug 26 06 07:54 am Link

Model

keri t

New York, New York, US

YES I CHECKED SOME REFERENCES.. BUT HE DID NOT WANT TO GIVE OUT NUMBERS.. HE SAID TO JUST LOOK ON HIS WEBSITE HERE.. WELL NOW HE IS NO LONGER A MEMBER HMMMM.... AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ME WHERE A PHOT HAS NOT GIVEN ME PICS SO THIS IS Y I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO. NEVER HAD THE PROB BEFORE

Aug 26 06 08:01 am Link

Model

Naturelle-amaya

New York, New York, US

I really don't know what should be done about a situation like that myself, but one model posted on her site not to work with the photographer who did that to her and when i saw the name it was that of the photographer who had done it to me. she got her pics after putting him through hell 8 months later, but i havent received mine 7 months later. so don't work with MALACHI, that photographer from New Jersey shooting for his own mag "Dirty Divas" because he can't follow through and give up the pics!

Aug 26 06 08:05 am Link

Model

CarolineVictoria

Beverly Hills, California, US

I've shot with a TON of photogs and only had 1 photog do that to me. I drove almost 5 hrs ONE WAY to shoot with him. At the end of the shoot we hugged and agreed it was an awesome shoot. He said as soon as he gets back from his 1 week trip he would get the cd out to me.  He was leaving VERY early the next day so I was fine with that. Well I waited 3 wks and NO cd. I kept contacting him, listening to his excuses, listening to his WIFE promise me the cd.  I was patient and I was nice and I was understanding.  But after 1 yr passed, I gave up.  That was 3 yrs ago!!!!!
Since then EVERY photog I have shot with has been extremely professional.  So one out of the whole bunch isnt THAT bad ;-)
Just as there are models that arent professional, there are also photogs that arent either.

xoxoxoxo
Caroline Victoria

Aug 26 06 08:09 am Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

keri t wrote:
YES I CHECKED SOME REFERENCES.. BUT HE DID NOT WANT TO GIVE OUT NUMBERS.. HE SAID TO JUST LOOK ON HIS WEBSITE HERE.. WELL NOW HE IS NO LONGER A MEMBER HMMMM.... AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ME WHERE A PHOT HAS NOT GIVEN ME PICS SO THIS IS Y I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO. NEVER HAD THE PROB BEFORE

I agree that he should not give out numbers but, he should have given you an email addy or two.

Anyway, it looks like you just ran across a jerk.  Stay vigilent and hopefully this will not happen to you again.

Aug 26 06 08:10 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

keri t wrote:

Ok...so did you look at photos of the girls and see that he'd shot other girls, or did you actually make contact with the girls? Looking at photos doesn't do any good...they could be someone else's, they could just be girls he screwed over like it appears he did to you. If you don't understand this world, and you don't know what's going on, please...for your sake, drop me a note. I can help you. I don't know everything, but I've asked for help all along the way, and I've gotten a lot of good advice. I can help you...and I'd very much like to. I hate to see girls get screwed over.

Aug 26 06 08:13 am Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

You need to check out the photographers a little better before working with them. I would just write off that shoot and move on. There are lots of photographers that keep there word.

Mike

Aug 26 06 08:18 am Link

Model

CarolineVictoria

Beverly Hills, California, US

CarolineVictoria wrote:
I've shot with a TON of photogs and only had 1 photog do that to me. I drove almost 5 hrs ONE WAY to shoot with him. At the end of the shoot we hugged and agreed it was an awesome shoot. He said as soon as he gets back from his 1 week trip he would get the cd out to me.  He was leaving VERY early the next day so I was fine with that. Well I waited 3 wks and NO cd. I kept contacting him, listening to his excuses, listening to his WIFE promise me the cd.  I was patient and I was nice and I was understanding.  But after 1 yr passed, I gave up.  That was 3 yrs ago!!!!!
Since then EVERY photog I have shot with has been extremely professional.  So one out of the whole bunch isnt THAT bad ;-)
Just as there are models that arent professional, there are also photogs that arent either.

xoxoxoxo
Caroline Victoria

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ADD THAT I HAD BEEN IN CONTACT VIA EMAIL AND PHONE WITH THE PHOTOG FOR 2 MONTHS PRIOR TO OUR SHOOT.  WE BOTH THOUGHT IT WAS IMPORTANT TO PLAN WARDROBE, LOCATIONS ETC ETC.  THAT'S WHY IT WAS HARD FOR ME TO UNDERSTAND WHY HE DID WHAT HE DID!

Aug 26 06 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I always try to answer hi.  Or hello.  Actually, I answer hello more often.

Aug 26 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

David Duane

Chandler, Arizona, US

I’m amazed.  I don’t think I know anyone who would not even offer an explanation.  If he has money problems, problems scanning, his work sucks, etc., it would save you and him a lot of aggravation if he would simply tell you what is going on. 

He took his profile off MM?  That’s interesting.  Most irresponsible people would just neglect the page, and not take the time to delete the pictures, etc.  I wonder if he has gone into hiding. 

If he shot the pictures digitally, than maybe you could ask him to just e-mail 5 of the best, preferably at full resolution, unedited if necessary.  If he shot with film… hmmm… he’s not going to send the film…  I think you should leave a message for him about once a month, but consider it a lost cause. 

I’m sorry that happened to you.  I think it must be quite rare.

Aug 26 06 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

keri t wrote:

Pee in his coffee.

Aug 26 06 10:19 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I always try to answer hi.  Or hello.  Actually, I answer hello more often.

Do you answer 'waves hello'?

All people have problems in life.   Stay patient and nice,  ask for an honest answer, but do not be upset if you get one.

All please do not use all caps to respond.  It is hard to read.

Aug 26 06 10:21 am Link

Model

Pepper913

Cleburne, Texas, US

Did you sign a release form with him?  If so, did it state in the release form that you would receive compensation for the shoot (i.e. a photo CD or what ever it was for)?  If not, then he does NOT have to deliver images to you.

I'm sorry this happened to you, I don't believe it's happened to me . . . but that sucks!  The best thing you can do is move on and be more careful about who you work with from now on. 

Just a piece of advice for future shoots . . . read the agreement . . . ALL of it . . . VERY carefully!  Make sure it states the compensation for the shoot.  If the photographer says you are going to get photos or whatnot in return for the shoot but it is NOT in the release form . . . have him write it on the release form somewhere and have him sign it.  This way, if for some CRAZY reason you decide to take him or her to court . . . you'll have it in writing.  It is ALWAYS important to receive a signed copy of the release form. 

If you already knew that, then I apologize!  smile  Best wishes!

Aug 26 06 10:29 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

i turned down a paid job locally in to drive miles and shoot with a top guy from Florida TFP
the plan for shoot was detailed by him and we carried it out
actually were 2 photogs and another, GREAT model
there were def some great pics esspecially the nudes of us together - fine art
it was all what he wanted,
good stuff i think
he directed and kinda helped the other guy shoota s he was
A TOP PRO TOO BUT SPECILAISED IN LANDSCAPES BEFORE THIS.

there were no shots 'just for me ' etc all as he planned. He must have, liked some of them.
neither of us models even saw these nude photos of us!
and ever got anything but excuses the first 2 months then silence

what can't we out!!
he is getting on as some respected cool guy

out out OUT!

Aug 26 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Some possibilities: One, he's just a sh#thead, a good chance that's the problem.Second possibility, the photos were so bad he's ashamed to show them to you or to admit it. (That can happen!).  Third possibility, he's overloaded with paying gigs and considers TP shoots to somehow be less important.

I usually get photos to those who model with me  within a week, but on rare occasions two weeks. Once it too me a month, but after I gave her my hospital room number she was content to wait, as long as in her words, "You're not gonna croak!".

As for not responding to your messages, unless he is in the hospital or dead, there is simply no excuse for that.

Aug 26 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I would gather a few hundred of my closest friends. We'd all light torches and surround his house while chanting.....GUY WITH CAMERA!, GUY WITH CAMERA!

And when he's cornered I'd flash him with strobes untily his eyes fell out! Then set him on fire and laugh as he ran in circles. Oh! And I'd make sure I caught the whole thing on my really cool digital camera so I could post it on MySpace! Don't forget some really cool music!

Aug 27 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

MsHeidi wrote:
Just hang in there! I`ve waited for 2 months many times before!

If he`s not a total ass you`ll get them smile

what she said..................//

Aug 27 06 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Cobra Photography

Gillette, Wyoming, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
I would gather a few hundred of my closest friends. We'd all light torches and surround his house while chanting.....GUY WITH CAMERA!, GUY WITH CAMERA!

And when he's cornered I'd flash him with strobes untily his eyes fell out! Then set him on fire and laugh as he ran in circles. Oh! And I'd make sure I caught the whole thing on my really cool digital camera so I could post it on MySpace! Don't forget some really cool music!

Very funny.  Whew, thank God for P.O. boxes smile

1st of all let me say this is my outlook and not necesarily what happened to you.

Shoot happens!  then...

The photographers excitement over the results is a direct reflection in how fast you'll get your images back.  If there is nothing that will add to his/her port it becomes difficult to have enough ambition up to edit any of the images.  Eventually guilty will set in and edit a few pics, BUT not if said model calls every damn week for them.

of course, I've never been in said above scenerio.

Aug 27 06 12:41 am Link

Photographer

TomLaPointe

Salisbury, Maryland, US

MurphyMurphy Studios wrote:

I agree that he should not give out numbers but, he should have given you an email addy or two.

Anyway, it looks like you just ran across a jerk.  Stay vigilent and hopefully this will not happen to you again.

Why not give out numbers? If a photographer's a pro, then he/she are also a business person. Business people give out numbers, IMHO.

Aug 27 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

IHPhotography

Houston, Texas, US

In the release you sign before the next shoot make sure it says your compensation in it... or just bring one yourself...

Just incase they try to forget that they are obligated...

Aug 27 06 12:56 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Not providing photos is a crappy thing to do.  On the other hand, if you called me a "phot" I wouldn't answer my phone either (sounds like something silent and stinky).

Aug 27 06 01:00 am Link

Model

exgirlfriend

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I had three TFP shoots with a photographer back in September of 2004, and he said he would get me my shots within a month. A month went by and I didn't hear from him. So I called and emailed a few times, never got a response. So I asked some other models he'd worked with after me, and they all got thier stuff. So I kept emailing and calling a few times a month. Still no word from him. Now, two years later, I still haven't gotten any of the what he said I would get, except a few emailed shots after the first shoot, and I can no longer find any trace of him or his work online.

Aug 27 06 01:03 am Link

Photographer

Eddie Offermann

Sonora, California, US

A month isn't that long if he's busy, though if he's totally vanished off the face of the planet like it sounds you may never see the pics.

I'm pretty good about it myself, but there's one model I kept putting off getting the disc back to her: after going through the images, I wasn't very pleased with what I'd shot.  It seemed better in concept than afterwards and I honestly didn't want them circulated as my work.

Eventually, I did what I could with them and got them back to her - and I've always felt like a heel for not being much more responsive about it.

That anecdote doesn't help much, probably... and I certainly have worked with models who have run into this problem MANY times with other photogs, sometimes not getting the images after *years* even when the photog didn't disappear like yours seems to have.  It's sad, and probably one reason even relatively new models are often hesitant to do TFP/CD.

Aug 27 06 01:55 am Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

keri t wrote:

If he has paid work that means TFP takes a back-burner.  Also, a lot of guys on here have regular jobs and families, too.

Aug 27 06 02:03 am Link

Model

Jessica - The Peach

Los Angeles, California, US

i know youre upset, but im sure he'll get to it.  in the mean time, cut your losses and move on to new work.

Aug 27 06 02:05 am Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

TomLaPointe wrote:

Why not give out numbers? If a photographer's a pro, then he/she are also a business person. Business people give out numbers, IMHO.

Just personal choice I guess.  I never give out numbers model phone numbers without asking permission first.  Perhaps this is old school but, models don't generally have a "business phone" and a "personal phone" they are one and the same.  And, since I don't give personal information out about models that I work with, phone numbers are not given out.

However, models often separate email addresses -- business and personal.  They give me their "business" email address and I see no problem giving this out to someone wanting to check a reference.

Aug 27 06 03:04 pm Link